Smart Camden Hostel Reviews

55/57 Bayham Street, Camden, London, England

1983 Total Reviews

I chose this hostel because the location cannot be beat-- only a 5 minute walk from the Camden Town Underground station. The hostel itself is decent. Nothing fancy, just a place to sleep after a long day of sightseeing. My 14-person dorm was very small and tight/not much space to move around. Really the only inconvenience for me was that the free wifi was only available in the common room.

The check-in guy did not give us sheets. We didn't realize this until the next morning when we were checking out. Your only 2 jobs are your hand keys over and give sheets. We were totally grossed out. We had to sit and wait for him to "hopefully" return from his break. Also, they ran out of towels. Not that it mattered because the water is the shower was so unbearably cold. The breakfast was a joke.

• 27th Jun 2015

paying extra for lock and internet is not acceptable nowadays in hostels, but above all cleanliness is very very poor and quality of showers, toilets are disgusting, moreover one guy was puke very laud most of the night in our toilet and we couldn't sleep

• 26th Jun 2015
  • Poland

Hostel in great location. The hostel is tucked off a road behind main road so thought it would be quiet but could hear loud music and noise every night from nearby bars tilll very late from our room. Staff friendly enough upon arrival, was given keys and linen when we paid. Booked to stay in a 6 dorm mixed room, VERY SMALL AND CRAMPED. En suite room was tiny too, just enough room for a toilet and a shower that wet everything in there. Room V.dusty and found rat trap at end of our bed.

• 19th Jun 2015

Good value, precisely what I expected, would use again

• 18th Jun 2015

Would not recommend this hostel for people on holidays.

• 17th Jun 2015

The room was nice and in reasonable price. First night we cant reach hot water for shower in second night we know theres have hot water out. Free map down the reception and the place was close to the underground station only 3 min walking, so convenience.

• 15th Jun 2015
  • Macau

The hostel itself was nothing really special however the location is great and the outdoor patio outback was really nice. The rooms were kinda stuffy but it was manageable. It is really close to the metro though which is really great for transport. (If you go to London look into getting an Oyster card if you plan on using the tube.)

Perfect location if you plan to going out at night, loads of great pubs near, but easy bus and metro traffic to the center, too. Rooms are very tiny, the whole place is so midget you feel yourself an elephant in a porcelain store. Quite loud and not so clean and don't build any plan upon the breakfast but for this price it was OK anyway.

• 10th Jun 2015
  • Hungary

The hostel is not really smart, the rooms are far to small as well as the bathrooms so it's hard to keep it clean - even though they try. The guy at the office in the morning was very nice but the one during the evening is impolite and unwellcomed

Thank you for your comments and review. We are upset that you found our trained staff not as welcoming as we would hope and your comments will be passed on to the relevant departments. Thank you again staying with us at smart hostels and we hope you will visit us again.

As average as a punch to the balls by a chinchilla

• 5th Jun 2015

The hostel is situated in a top location, but has the benefit of being on the street parallel to the High St. - so not so noisy at night. Good price, but needs work to make it comfortable - and up to date. Some rooms can be a bit cramped. This was my 3rd stay, and for the 2nd time the room was compact. I've slept in a 4-bed dorm in the past with more room than the 6-bed dorm this time. Also, the under-bed locker (set by computer at reception) didn't work for a spell - locking my things inside.

Pretty basic accomodation. No lounge, very few toilets, everything very tight. The showers have only one temperature which is boiling hot. Can hear everyone's footsteps from eveywhere when in your room. Just a descent,clean place to sleep in, and in a great location near Camden Town's centre and then off you go. Some weird (long term??) visitors that make the atmosphere....well, weird.

• 1st Jun 2015
  • Greece

This is one of the best hostels in London that I have stayed in. The location is ideal especially for seeing Camden. The staff are always friendly and polite and I shall continue to go back there. I love the fact that they have large lockers at a reasonable price. You get what you pay for and this is definitely worth the price.

• 1st Jun 2015

Thank you for your great review and very kind comments, we hope to see you again soon.

Friendly host when walked in who made me feel welcome. However lights not working in the dorm bathroom meant had to wait for the public shower for a while in hallway. When eventually got in the water was ice cold so only put my head under, no shower.

Fab hostel, couldn't fault the location and place for the cost. Only thing was the motion sensitive lights in bathroom. Showering ended up being in pitch black. All in all really happy and would come again.

• 23rd May 2015

Basic but good clean hostel, in an excellent quirky location. I don't think anyone should expect luxury conditions for a London hostel at this price.

This hostel is great, it's like a big family here, everyone here is ready to lend a hand for wathever you need, the staff is very friendly and helpful, especially Turkey, which always helped me a lot with all my requests! totally recommended, great location and good price.

• 21st May 2015
  • Argentina

This is my second time here and i`m looking foward to go again soon thank you..

No towells, no gel. Breakfaste included

• 15th May 2015