Smart Camden Hostel Reviews

55/57 Bayham Street, Camden, London, England

On arrival we were given our bed sheets and sent up to the third floor where our pokey twin room awaited us where we then had to make our beds. The shower was a swimming pool style shower, you press the button and water comes out for thirty seconds or so, when it did come out it tended to be scorching hot which made it very hard to wash properly. On top of this there were no towels about so we had to go down to reception to buy one. Makes me wander what the money we paid actually went towards.

• 25th Jul 2014

Hi. Thanks for the feedback. It's unfortunate you didn't enjoy your stay. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. One way to keep the prices down is to have "User pays" for some extras like towels. It is quite common at Hostels for guests to make their own beds, otherwise we'd be called a Hotel and have to charge a lot more money. We hope you had fun in Camden though. Cheers

kind of an odd place. the staff wasn't very helpful...wifi was spotty and there was a lack of community areas in the hostel to meet other people. just a dark basement and a porch area that closed after 11 pm

Hi. Thanks for the feedback. It's unfortunate you didn't enjoy your stay. Next time for better wifi, we have wi-fi available in the rooms for just £1 for 1 day OR it is available FREE in the common areas..on the topic of common areas, our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London, we leave the entertainment up to our fabulous guests and funky Camden.

The shower only has boiling water and stays on for only five seconds and you have to keep pushing the button to stay on. Very annoying. The rest is pretty good. Worth the money except for the shower

• 21st Jul 2014

Hello. Thanks for the review. We'll have the maintenance team see what they can do about adjusting the water temp. Glad you enjoyed Camden.

For London it was good but compared to Hostels in the rest of Europe pretty standard.

Hello. Thanks for your review, hopefully we will see you again.

This hostel is cheap for a reason. With no A/C and with 14 people crammed together in the dorm it was waaay to hot to sleep. The breakfast, the facilities and everything was just sad. And you had to pay extra for everything. I will definitly recommend that you stay in Camden, it's the place to be, but try to find another hostel. You will regret booking this one.

• 17th Jul 2014
  • Denmark

Hi. Thanks for the feedback. It's unfortunate you didn't enjoy your stay. London has been hotter than usual and we have all been feeling it. Can we suggest a smaller dorm next time might be more comfortable. Thanks again.

Had a short but lovely stay with my sister. Thanks Turkey!

• 7th Jul 2014

While the location was good the staff were a little rude (cleaning and desk staff) the rooms were crowded the shower and bathroom facilities tiny (knees touch door while on toilet im 5'4" and shower about 500mm square.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to provide some valuable feedback. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. Your comments about our staff have been passed onto the Hostel Manager to add to our on going staff training!

Really small bathrooms, the water does not have a continuous temperature during the shower (too hot sometimes), staff not friendly.Location excellent and breakfast OK.

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is fed back in to our staff training so that we can constantly improve.

I stayed in a room with 10 people. There was one toilet for those 10 people and in the morning it was clogged. There is very little floor space so to get in and out of bed was difficult and even though there are lockers, they're not big enough for your bag and they charge extra for using them. They also charge extra for storing your bag for the day. I left mine for less than 1 hr only and asked the guy to refund me and he said no, 5 pounds. Maybe a diff. kind of room is better.

Hi and thanks for taking the time to write your review. It's unfortunate that you had a toilet malfunction in the room. Our maintenance team work tirelessly to keep things flowing. Perhaps if we can suggest next time a smaller dorm, often less people create less issues. If you leave your bag at one of London's Train Stations it will cost £6 per bag just for the first 3 hours,! As a service, we charge our guests a nominal £2 from checkout time in the morning until midnight.

If you are unlucky to get a room in the third floor be prepared to climb a lot of stairs. Staff is a little unfriendly and not very proned to help with information as in other places (but they attented most of my requests). Other guests were nice (but most of them live there and work so don't expect them to go party with you). Location is good, 5 minutes to the underground. Not very clean but not as dirty as some reviewers said (didn't see anything really dirty there).

Hello. Thanks for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate all feedback so that we can do better next time. Cheers.

free wi-fi not true

• 20th Jun 2014
  • Sweden

Hi. It seems you must have had a problem with the wi-fi. At all of our Hostels we offer free wi-fi in the reception and common rooms. In the bedrooms wi-fi is available for just £1 for 1 day.

Nice staff, definitelly great location in Camden town, minutes from Camden town. Rooms not well suited for claustrophobics but safe (you can rent a locker for £1.5) and overall good price/quality for this location in London.

Hi. Thanks for your review. Camden's one of those great London places we all love. Hope to see you again. Cheers

The staff works hard to keep everything clean. Other people were polite. Not too noisy - even during World Cup. No bugs. Bathroom kept clean daily. Beds were comfortable with mattresses in good order. All of the things that I worried about because of reading hostel reviews were not problems. Two Underground stations close with a bus stop right across the street. Many places to eat and buy food. The space is a little tight, but you didn't plan a trip to London to stay in the room.

• 14th Jun 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Good place to stay cheap and easy

I was horrified by my stay here. The hostel had no hot water in my room, forcing me to take a cold shower. The internet did not work anywhere, so as someone traveling alone it was not appreciated. They charge you if you pay by credit or debit card and require a cash £10 security deposit. I would not recommend to anyone and would avoid this hostel other then a place to leave your luggage. The bad reviews are much warranted after my stay here.

The receptionist is pain in the neck. The room is alright even though a little bit too small. The location is very good, around Camden Town.

Hi Ria Thank you for your feedback, good Customer service is priority for us in Camden In, This Matter will be Investigated urgently. glad that You Enjoyed our Room and our great Location In Heart of Camden, And I would love to see you again In Camden In to have the chance to serve you again.

Staff is great. Cleanliness is awful (especially in the toilet). We had to push the button in the shower for 15 minutes in order to have hot water. Location is good. A bit too expensive for the premises.

• 25th May 2014

Hi Barbara Thank you for Your feedback. definitely will take you review in considerations next time we review our cleaning schedule, as this reviewed regularly. please stop again in Camden In to see the difference.

I paid £25 so it was a bit expensive. The room was a little small. There was a shower/toilet/sink in my room so that was great.

• 24th May 2014

Hi Lina, Thank you for your feedback, High season Price are always high but we still cheaper than our competitor with better service. glad that you enjoyed your stay. please come back again

Receptionist was very friendly, maid service every day , free breakfast, in general it's not bad

• 23rd May 2014

Dear guest, Thank you for your great feedback. We have an excellent team that ensures all guests have a pleasant stay. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you again. As we aim to achieve a 100%, please tell us how we can improve. Thanks.

I stayed in a 12 person dorm, the bunks were so cramped together I had to keep my stuff on the bed with me. The kitchen/common room was tiny. Wouldn't stay there again.

We are sorry to hear you had problems with the beds in your room. We have luggage lockers at the bottom of all the bed to hold all your stuff, in the process allowing you more than enough space. You normally have to ask for this at the reception where you will be required to pay the sum of £1.50 per night to use this. That said, we could also have told you about it. So, we are sorry.