Smart Camden Hostel Reviews

55/57 Bayham Street, Camden, London, England

The staff works hard to keep everything clean. Other people were polite. Not too noisy - even during World Cup. No bugs. Bathroom kept clean daily. Beds were comfortable with mattresses in good order. All of the things that I worried about because of reading hostel reviews were not problems. Two Underground stations close with a bus stop right across the street. Many places to eat and buy food. The space is a little tight, but you didn't plan a trip to London to stay in the room.

• 14th Jun 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Good place to stay cheap and easy

I was horrified by my stay here. The hostel had no hot water in my room, forcing me to take a cold shower. The internet did not work anywhere, so as someone traveling alone it was not appreciated. They charge you if you pay by credit or debit card and require a cash £10 security deposit. I would not recommend to anyone and would avoid this hostel other then a place to leave your luggage. The bad reviews are much warranted after my stay here.

The receptionist is pain in the neck. The room is alright even though a little bit too small. The location is very good, around Camden Town.

Hi Ria Thank you for your feedback, good Customer service is priority for us in Camden In, This Matter will be Investigated urgently. glad that You Enjoyed our Room and our great Location In Heart of Camden, And I would love to see you again In Camden In to have the chance to serve you again.

Staff is great. Cleanliness is awful (especially in the toilet). We had to push the button in the shower for 15 minutes in order to have hot water. Location is good. A bit too expensive for the premises.

• 25th May 2014

Hi Barbara Thank you for Your feedback. definitely will take you review in considerations next time we review our cleaning schedule, as this reviewed regularly. please stop again in Camden In to see the difference.

I paid £25 so it was a bit expensive. The room was a little small. There was a shower/toilet/sink in my room so that was great.

• 24th May 2014

Hi Lina, Thank you for your feedback, High season Price are always high but we still cheaper than our competitor with better service. glad that you enjoyed your stay. please come back again

Receptionist was very friendly, maid service every day , free breakfast, in general it's not bad

• 23rd May 2014

Dear guest, Thank you for your great feedback. We have an excellent team that ensures all guests have a pleasant stay. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you again. As we aim to achieve a 100%, please tell us how we can improve. Thanks.

I stayed in a 12 person dorm, the bunks were so cramped together I had to keep my stuff on the bed with me. The kitchen/common room was tiny. Wouldn't stay there again.

We are sorry to hear you had problems with the beds in your room. We have luggage lockers at the bottom of all the bed to hold all your stuff, in the process allowing you more than enough space. You normally have to ask for this at the reception where you will be required to pay the sum of £1.50 per night to use this. That said, we could also have told you about it. So, we are sorry.

Though incredibly cheap - the service was horrific, the bed sheets were stained, there were barley any toilets to use, the shower did not work and there was only a tiny window in the room that wouldn't open so it was so hot I could not sleep.

Thanks for your feedback and sorry to hear you had an uncomfortable stay. While a stain on the bed sheets cannot be excused, had you told the receptionist, a new sheet and tissue papers would have been given you. The window and showers could have been rectified by maintenance. Thanks again.

Rude Staff in the reception. Disrespectful!

• 17th May 2014

Dear guest, Thanks for your feedback and sorry to hear you felt disrespected by my staff. I am going to investigate this to get more details about what happened. I would appreciate it if you telephoned me to discuss this further-02073888900. Thanks, Turki Hostel Manager

Unremarkable hostel, central location. Wouldn't have a problem with staying there again.

• 8th May 2014

Thank you for appreciating our great location and recommendation!

Great location in Camden and tube into central London.

• 3rd May 2014

Thank you for a good review and appreciating our perfect location! Hope to see you again.

Very good location, staff was good. Had a problem with my shower first day but it got solved. The breakfast is very simple but it helps!

The man at reception was nice but the facilities were very dirty and the light did not work.

• 15th Apr 2014

Dear guest, Thank you for your feedback. Hope this finds you well. We are glad to hear you were impressed by the service provided by our receptionist, though concerned you found the quality of the facilities below the standards we normally ensure to meet. We would have hoped you could have raised these issues with either our receptionist or even the manager, as the lights could have been replaced immediately and the facility in question cleaned. We are sorry about this. Have a good day.

Probably the worst hostel I've ever stayed in!! Had private room on top floor. Went to put my pillowcase on only to find another pillowcase stapled onto the pillow!! Who does that??? Was only there for 1 night so didn't bother to complain. All night had doors banging and the light from the hallway comes under the door. Also the cleaning rota that was on the wall had not been signed off for days!

Thank you for your comment. We are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us and we can assure you that cleaning is our priority. Our housekeeping/cleaning times between 06:30 am- 23:00. beside of our hourly check, we rely on guests to report any cleaning issues where we will get it resolved promptly.

The staff are very helpful.

• 7th Apr 2014
  • Malaysia

Could do with having blinds or curtains up

• 5th Apr 2014

Thank you for your response, we greatly appreciate your feedback. We are continuously seeking ways of improving our hostel's quality, and so will be considering your valuable comments when we do so.

There is no privacy ie no curtains on bunks like russel square hostel has. not alot of toilets if you dont have one in room. little space to move around if there is alot of luggage from people.

We are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay fully, hope you will give you another chance.

NO FREE WIFI Impolite staff

Thank you for your review, we are sorry you got the impression that our staff was rude. The WiFi is free in the common areas and we are planning to implement new strategy so it is available in the rooms as well for only £1 per 24hours.

The bunk beds could have been more private curtains across/like Russel square. a bit tight moving around in room not alot of luggage space. apart from that its ok.