Smart Camden Hostel Reviews

55/57 Bayham Street, Camden, London, England

Good hostel in a good Camden location. Very clean as cleaners are constantly cleaning, every day, morning and night. Good sized lockers under beds, cost to use, but very safe with electronic entry. Everyone in the hostel was very respectful and friendly. Breakfast is basic but sufficient. Wifi doesn't work in the whole building, only the lower few floors but still good connection.

Really nice hostel, everything you need such as wi-fi and laundry. But a lift or porter might have helped for the steep stairs to the 3rd floor.

It was clean, but that is it. This is a "low rent" hostel that is charging too much for it's facilities. The room I was in was too small for 6 people. You had to pay £1.50 a night for the lockers and there was no space to put anything down anywhere else. The mattresses were uncomfortable, the whole place is run down, there is only one toilet and shower per floor of 12+ people. Queuing is part of the stay. Half the clients are the homeless and ex-criminals. It was awful, I will never stay again.

Thank you for review. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We try to offer cheap accommodation for low budget travellers at very good location, the prices we offer do not include lockers charges and towels as most of our customers do not need to use them therefore they do not end up paying for things they do not need. We welcome all the people no matter the nationality, age or looks. SCI Staff

Super cramped dorms with people stying there sleeping all day. Rude staff. You have to pay 1.5£ per day for the lockers. Avoid this place if you can.

Es tut uns leid Sie nicht genießen Sie Ihren Aufenthalt voll. Hoffentlich werden Sie uns noch eine Chance geben :) SCI Staff

It is a place to sleep - nothing more. It was fine for the one night but I would not stay any longer.

Thank you for review, could you please advise us on what way you did not like our hostel so we can improve our services. SCI Staff

Im writing this comment atfer staying in London hostels for 2nd week now. I was in 4 hostels and this has only good location since I need to be close to Camden. Otheriwise all is to small, rooms, showers etc. I did not spend any time in common spaces, so I dont care about this, but I care aboud bed linnings. It like when its always for duvet, pillow and mattress. Here you get pillow sheet add two bed sheets, so not as I expected.

• 10th Sep 2013
  • Czech Republic

Smart hostel is a chain, be careful when staying with them. They are affiliated with the worst hostel in London (Hyde Park). The rooms are tiny, the showers are tiny, the bathrooms are tiny, the hallways are tiny. Cramped would be mildly putting it. The staff seemed stoned constantly and the location is great, but the road its on can be quite dodgy at night. If you wanna stay in camden and dont have high expectations, go for it and stay here.

A shocking experience.. which we cut short and left after the first night. Briefly: The 4-bed dorm had not been cleaned a since its previous occupants had left.. small trash bin piled up and over-spilling in a corner, other used tissues lying around the room. The previous occupants' used bedding was still on our bunks when we arrived, after 10.30pm. Bathroom and WC facilities were few, small and badly in need of care and attention decoratively at the very least. Staff unhelpful. Don't go!

• 3rd Sep 2013

If you're on the lower bed of the bunker bed, you'll feel that London is going through an earthquake every time the person on the upper bed moves. Lockers are not really organized so you might end up, like me, in a room for 8 with 5 people but no place to store your belongings. There's no free towels (and you can't rent, you must pay 5 pounds to buy); and if you, like me, regret booking it, they'll won't give your money back because of their "cancellations policy".

We try to offer cheap accommodation for low budget travellers at very good location, the prices we offer do not include lockers charges and towels as most of our customers do not need to use them therefore they do not end up paying for things they do not need. We are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay fully, hopefully you'll give us another chance. SCI Staff

The rooms are too small and a bit crowded. Otherwise Strategically located.

3 out of the 4 staff members I came across were very friendly and helpful. The fourth was fine as well, just just did not speak very much English. The location and 24 hour reception was very convenient.

• 23rd Aug 2013

Dirty and stuffy, very basic. Fine for a bed for the night but not the kind of hostel to chill out and meet people in.

Thank you for your feedback. We take guests feedback so seriously to improve our services. Our housekeeping/ cleaning staff start as early as 06:30 and finish at 23:00. We do regular check every one hour during these times to maintain good cleaning quality. However, if any cleaning issues get reported to receptionists by guests, it is dealt with promptly. SCI Staff

Very Hard when you arrive at 11pm to ne at the top floor, to bring my suitcase upstairs...

A nice hostel in Camden. Close to everything you need. Rooms are a little cramped but nice enough room with ensuite bathroom. It should be noted. This place gives accommodation to ex-prisoners and people deported from other countries. There was a African American who had just done 8 years for murder and was a gang member sporting colors among the many ex convicts staying. Another was a person who had been in a Thai jail for 20 years. Avoid staying here unless you are VERY open minded.

Too dirty for the room window and too small for the room and too small for the toilet

Our housekeeping/ cleaning staff start as early as 06:30 and finish at 23:00. We do regular check every one hour during these times to maintain good cleaning quality. We cannot do much about the size of the window in the room. Hope you will enjoy your next stay with us better :) SCI Staff

Create and liberate a little bit more free luggage storage.

• 12th Aug 2013
  • Angola

The rooms are extremely small (8 beds and you can't even breathe). And staff was very rude! Definetely not going to stay there again and I'm not recommending it to my friends.

Thank you for your review. We have different types of dormitories to suit different types of travellers depending on their budget. We offer a cheap and competitive accommodation at very good location. We are really sorry you got the impression the our staff was rude. Could you please email the hostel manager to explain your complaint about the staff. SCI Hostel

To me the people in the Hostel was truly the best part, i was fortunate to bunk with great roommates. To me the living room and dining room is too small and can be improved.

• 6th Aug 2013

It is small, but nice, maybe they should repair shower, we had just hot water, internet is not working, but you have internet cafe around the corner. You get breakfast, but you can bring yours an also cook your dinner. It was nice to be there, because everything is so close.

• 1st Aug 2013
  • Slovenia

Love the Smart Camden Hostel and Have stayed here several times and each time I've stayed the staff has always provided excellent and first class customer service and A special mention to both to Turk and Jeffa for looking after me and always being professional and polite.The Camden Smart is a very reasonably priced Hostel,which is central to both Camden and The West-End.I have no problems about staying here again in the future..:)j