Smart Camden Hostel Reviews

55/57 Bayham Street, Camden, London, England

1954 Total Reviews

Very small place! Staff is fine but you can't even move internet connection poor

Stayed in plenty of hostels and don't expect anything other than the basics but this hostel was pushing it to say the least. Bathroom taps only gave out a trickle, shower too hot to shower properly under. I was put in a room with 'long term residents' I.e. homeless folk. It was all pretty dodgy and I wasn't comfortable sleeping there. One guy in my room threw up and started cleaning it with a sheet, I told reception who went to have a look but did nothing and was very rude. Truly awful.

• 28th Sep 2014
  • Scotland

Hi, thank you for your feedback. For our guests convenience, our reception is open 24 hours they are able to report them straight away and we will endeavour to resolve them as soon as possible. Thank you for your feedback and we apologize if you weren't satisfied with our service, if you please could contact us at customercare@smartbackers.com to provide further information on these issues so we can resolve them and improve our services.

I don't like mixed dorms..need more female only dorms.

Hi, thank you for your feedback! We do appreciate your comment and while we already have a female dormitory in this hostel, we understand it can be very popular and book out early. We have several other Smart hostels across London which have more female only dorms in the case Camden has sold out for our guests (one just down the road in Russell Square!). We Thanks for staying with Smartbackpackers!

Great location and price. Rooms are a bit small and stuffy. Lounge isn't somewhere to spend lots of time but okbfor a few minutes of TV with dinner. A number of long-term residents are there who have a good knowledge of London. Not a place for more than 5 days IMO but perfect for a few nights and close to Camden lock too.

Thank you for review. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. Our hostel is also within a short walking distance to the lively Camden Town, bustling Oxford Street and a 30 minute walk from popular tourist attractions like the Big Ben! Thank you for staying with us again, and we hope to see you again!

The staff are all helpful and at least bi-lingual. Thanks!

• 19th Sep 2014

Hi, thanks for your feedback. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. We are glad our staff could be of assistance to you! We hope to see you again at Smartbackpackers.

I didn't find this hostel pleasant at all. Two sockets for 16-bed dorm is something I still remember, as every other hostel I've slept in wouldn't afford that. Equally, the wi-fi was extremely poor (although it worked well after paying 1 pound/24h) and they wanted to pay for almost anything additional: even leaving luggage after check-out cost 2 pounds (which would be fine if the prices were really low, but in my opinion they weren't).

Nice zone. Poor breakfast.

• 13th Sep 2014
  • Spain

Hi, thanks for taking the time to provide valuable feedback! Our hostel is located in a very central and convenient location. It is within a short walking distance to the lively Camden Town, bustling Oxford Street and a 30 minute walk from the Big Ben, Westminster Abbey and the London Eye. We offer an all-you-can-eat basic breakfast includes fresh toast, cereal and tea and coffee. We provide this service free of charge for our valued guests. Thank you for staying with us!

A gloomy, dirty submarine feel.

Thank you for your feedback and we apologize if you weren't satisfied with our service. We have invested alot of money into our hostels to ensure we provide our valued guests with fresh, clean and hygienic rooms. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London.

£5 to rent a towell is a bit too much for an hostel like this. Although very good location, ideal to spend a night in Camden.

Hi, thanks for staying with Smart Backpackers. We don't rent our towels, we sell them and this is why we charge £5. Our hostel is located in a very central and convenient location. It is within a short walking distance to the lively Camden Town, bustling Oxford Street and a 30 minute walk from the Big Ben, Westminster Abbey and the London Eye. We hope to see you again in Smart Backpackers

By far the worst hostel I have EVER stayed at. Staff were extremely rude, one was drunk and became aggressive towards my friend. Rooms were so over crowded that while asleep I got kicked by someone in another bunk by accident. They make you make your own bed, even if you're checking in at 2am. The wifi is only free in the common room and it's very average. The free breakfast is basic. Do not ingnore all the other bad reviews, avoid this place at all costs.

Hi, thanks for your feedback. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. Our reception team are continually receiving training on customer service and care. We will make sure your comments are passed onto the Hostel Manager to look into further. We offer an all-you-can-eat basic breakfast includes fresh toast, cereal and tea and coffee. We provide this service free of charge for our valued guests. We also provide free wifi in common areas!

Way to many stairs, but maybe i thought that because of my bags.

• 9th Sep 2014

Hi, thanks for taking the time to provide valuable feedback. While our hostel doesn’t have an elevator, we have strategically ensured the steps are wide enough for our guests to carry larger luggage up with ease! We hope to see you again in Smart Backpackers

To many stairs for people who have a lot of baggage.

Hi, thanks for staying with Smart Backpackers. While our hostel doesn’t have an elevator, we have strategically ensured the steps are wide enough for our guests to carry larger luggage up with ease! We hope to see you again!

The staff here are so unhelpful, rude and make you feel unwelcome. Its not a nice hostel to stay in for youth, I would avoid it in future, and suggest anyone under 30 looking for a good time do so to.

Hi, thanks for your feedback. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. Our reception team are continually receiving training on customer service and care. We will make sure your comments are passed onto the Hostel Manager. Thanks for staying with Smartbackpackers.

This hostel is weird, the atmosphere is so strange. There are unemployed locals living there. the staff are rude, unfriendly, unhelpful and very unwelcoming. I felt very uncomfortable here and to be honest could not wait to leave. The only good thing about this place is the price, which is low, however, I have moved around London and never paid more then this, and let me tell you there are far better hostels to stay in. I would never stay here again.

Hi, thanks for your feedback. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. Our reception team are continually receiving training on customer service and care. We will make sure your comments are passed onto the Hostel Manager. We hope you enjoyed the location of the hostel as well. A short walking distance to the lively Camden Town, bustling Oxford Street and a 30 minute walk from the Big Ben, Westminster Abbey and the London Eye.

Deposit Ł10 is rather high. Conception what the continental breakfast is, is rather misguided.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to provide valuable feedback. We charge a £10 security deposit when you check in which is refundable to you on check out. We offer an all-you-can-eat basic breakfast includes fresh toast, cereal and tea and coffee. We provide this service free of charge for our valued guests.

Stuff was poor and unhelpful. Company policy was bad.

• 19th Aug 2014
  • China

Hi. Thanks for the feedback. It's unfortunate you didn't enjoy your stay. I will pass on your comments to our Hostel manager.

We stayed in the twin room which was actually just a tiny room with a bunk bed. Had staff on at least 3 occasions barge into our room with their staff key access either without knocking or knocking and coming in 2 seconds later anyway without waiting for our response. This happened over a number of days. They make you pay for luggage storage per item after check-out which is ridiculous.Otherwise in a great location in Camden, few minutes walk from the underground. The free internet's pretty slow

Hi, thanks for taking the time to provide valuable feedback. We are sorry that you felt your privacy was invaded by our staff, however our housekeeping team clean each rooms daily for the guests comfort. This was probably just a miscommunication however we will investigate this further. Our luggage storage rates are a low £2/bag (until midnight). If you compare this to the price you would pay at a train station/airport (£6/bag for 3 hours), we believe this is affordable for our Backpackers!

Stayed at this hostel LOADS of times and it was fab as per usual. The only thing I would comment on for improvement would be the bathroom light, which turns on and off every 30 seconds. I know it's all carbon emissions but when I need the light on I need it on. Secondly I know it's a 'backpacking' hostel but not all of us can pack a weeks worth of stuff into a backpack. Therefore a lift would be useful if it's possible to install one. Otherwise everything was brilliant. Thanks again guys!

Hello. Many thanks for staying with us and for providing your valuable feedback. We hope we will see you again!

It's not very clean. And it smells bad. And it looks super sketchy. Felt very uncomfortable there. The staff wasn't very friendly. And didn't provide good service. It seemed like they didn't care. The rooms are small and you can't fit your suitcase nicely in the rooms. Avoid this place at all cost. Location is poor too.

• 5th Aug 2014

Hi. Thanks for the feedback. It's unfortunate you didn't enjoy your stay.

What happened to the free wi-fi in all the rooms :-/

Hi and thanks for staying with us and for writing a review. Recently we have installed faster wifi in the dorms. It only costs £1 for 1 day. Free wifi is still available in the common areas. Cheers.