Smart Camden Hostel Reviews

55/57 Bayham Street, Camden, London, England

The bunk beds could have been more private curtains across/like Russel square. a bit tight moving around in room not alot of luggage space. apart from that its ok.

The main problems I had with the hostel were that they only accept cash, have street only parking (which is very difficult to find in London), and have extremely small and dirty rooms. There's one filthy toilet per floor and although there is a small shower in the room, the light in mine was broken and the staff claimed they were unable to fix it. The biggest problem I had was that the beds were extremely creaky and anyone shifting in their sleep would wake everyone in the room.

Thank you for your review. We are sorry our service didn't meet your expectations. All the mechanical issues our on site staff can fix are resolved promptly. We do accept credit cards but it might be that the PDQ machine was not working at the time of your check in.

Perfect location, helpful staff, rooms all right and clean except for untight windows so you could hear every single noise from outside as if it was inside. Also the light in ensuite bathroom was quite annoying cause it was going off while taking a shower so from time to time had to wave my hand outside the shower, water was pretty difficult to regulate. Also had a bad luck with a roommate which was very rude and did not tolerate whispering at 8 o'clock pm. Overall - good, would go back there.

• 15th Mar 2014
  • Poland

Thank you for your comment and good words. We will look into our timers for the lights issue and consider extending the time of their work.

nice enough for the price, but nothing to shout home about.

Poor staff attitude, rude and uninviting.

• 8th Mar 2014
  • Poland

We are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay fully and you've got a bad impression of our staff. Hope you will visit us again in the future.

Hotel is set within underground zone 2, which is an absolutely okay location for a stay in London. The staff was always very friendly and helpful. Checking in and out went rather smoothly even though we arrived two hours early. The rooms are small when all 6 people are there, but for this price in London that is to be expected. However, there was mould in some corners of our room, which was not so cool. Other than that, though, decent place to stay when you're on a budget!

• 7th Mar 2014

Thank you for the good words! We take our customer's comments very seriously and we will improve the facilities.

Very cramped and the toilets were very dirty. The staff at reception and at the baggage holder were rude and not very helpful. Great Location though right in Camden and 10 minute walk from the markets.

• 7th Mar 2014
  • New Zealand

Thank you for your feedback. We will keep your comments in mind to improve our service.

Pros: clean, great location in camden, have female only rooms available Cons: unfriendly male staff, small lounge area, no oven in kitchen, pay for lockers per day, only 1 toilet per floor

• 3rd Mar 2014

Thank you for your feedback and we are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay fully and you found some of our staff unfriendly. All our rooms are ensuite and we do not have oven due to safety reasons.

This was my first hostel in 2005 that I stayed in and had a good time when there, however there have been some changes. Back in the days, you had lockers in your room and luggage storage free of charge, but now they have these electronic lockers under the bed (small just to put in a small bag) and for 1.50 pounds a day you can store your items. I thought that was personally a ripoff, also with luggage storage. The bed, room (40), shower, kitchen and toliet was alright. sitting room is OK.

Thank you very much for your comments, we will try to improve our services. Also please, watch out for our offers on Facebook and Twitter!

I have always had a good time at this hostel, well placed, easy to live in, helpful staff, a good first choice

Thank you very much for the good words!!

Camden is a buzzing little area and it was great to find somewhere with such good value. Very convenient (buses, trains right outside) and the staff was friendly enough. Enjoyed my stay.

Thanks so much for positive words! Follow us on Twitter and Facebook to stay updated with latest offers.

The room was way too small for 4 inhabitants, the second one(!) person leaves their bed, the room is crammed and people have to start climbing over each other. Heating went out on day 2. Shower was ice-cold! Why thank you, I'm wide awake, but come on! Internet connection is not existent. They claim there's Wi-Fi in the kitchen area, but it's not worth the trouble trying to log on, I couldn't even check mails with that. Breakfast is toast, marg and jam. Every day. In-Room lockers cost 1,50 extra

• 13th Feb 2014

We are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay and thank you for your comment. We take our guests feedback seriously. As per the Internet problem: we are now installing new Wi-Fi solution where the access will be free in the common rooms and access in the rooms will be charged £1 per 24 hours.

This hostel was great value for money - located in Camden Town, with a 24-hour check-in/out. It was clean and the bed was very comfortable. I didn't try the breakfast but find it good that it is included in the price of the room. The shower was nice and warm! I was a bit confused as to why guests have to pay extra to use the storage facilities under the beds, and the staff weren't that friendly (not that they were rude though!), but apart from that I enjoyed my stay here.

Hi, Thank you for the good review! Hope to see you soon SCI Staff

The only good thing about this hostel is the location. It is cramped and in desperate need of refurbishment. The toilet on our floor was the size and condition of a portaloo, but without a seat or soap. Our room's window did not shut, hence it was freezing in there. The staff charged my friend to leave a carrier bag in their shed for 2 hours (£1.50 per bag). The whole place needs a bloody good clean. Look elsewhere if you can.

Hello, thank you very much for your feedback and we are really sorry If we didn't meet your expectations. We take all the comments very seriously and we will try to improve our service. All the maintenance/cleaning issues are resolved promptly, though we need to be aware of them. SCI Staff

Very friendly guy in the reception helping me as i was in a hurry getting checked in and rushing off to a gig. The 4 bed room was small, the showers only had 'on' and no hot7cold adjustment, the breakfast was sparse, but just as expected for the money you pay for it.

Thank you for the good words and comments, we will take every aspect under consideration and try to improve our services.

all my experiences with this hostel have been good, except that last night, when someone was watching television at 4am, they were wearing earphones, so had to have the telly turned up high, I turned the television volume to nought, to their amazement, after that it was kept low and got some sleep

My sheet vas dirty, that was kinda uncomfortable. Staff and roommates were nice, location was almost perfect..

• 26th Jan 2014
  • Finland

a friendly and good place in london.

The worst thing is that they dont have adapter for europe and america. So, if you dont have a british cellphone or hairdryer, take your adapter with you! The staff was good, the breakfast is good too (bread, butter, mermelade, milk and cereal). When i was there, there was a looot of people, and i couldnt lock my things without paying. I think they should let some locker for us when the room is crowd

• 3rd Jan 2014

Thank you for your review. We take our guests feedback very seriously and will look into the matters you have mentioned to improve our services. SCI Staff

The rooms are tiny and you have to pay 1.5 pounds to get a locker. The room smelled too. The good thing was a bathroom within the room. But small... The reception desk wasn't open when I arrive around 11am in the morning. I had to wait there for about 15 mins for someone to come... It's closer to Camden, but farther from the central area. The the whole hostel just gave me the impression of unclean...