Smart Russell Square Hostel

7.0
Very Good 8672 Total Reviews

20th Jul 2017
3.4

From the first second I walked in the door I got a bad vibe. It only got worse when I was given a key to a room in the dingy, dirty basement. My first encounter with other guests were about 4 creepy old men. My room had a window with bars on it and construction workers just outside that would watch me. It all took me less than five minutes to decide to fine a different hostel. I have never felt more unsafe or uncomfortable in a hostel. I wouldn't even recommend this place to someone I hate.

• kingtheginger
  • Canada, Female, 18-24
13th Jul 2017
8.0

Security is great, but you do have to pay 1.50/night for lockers. There were unfortunately a lot of big student groups here which tend to ruin the hostel vibes. The showers weren't great, but useable. Overall a decent place, breakfast was awesome. 20-25 minute walk to main attractions, but 2 minute walk to the tube station.

• ellenmariegray
  • Australia, Female, 18-24
13th Jul 2017
4.3

I felt unsafe, the place was dirty, the staff were unhelpful, and the beds were covered by curtains so you had no idea who was staying in your room which felt uncomfortable being a female solo traveller. Would not recommend this to any female. A lot of older men.

• Netherlands, Mixed Group, 18-24
11th Jul 2017
6.9

It was ok. The room with 15 people gets progressively worse when people snore. They did have earplugs so that was a plus. The breakfast is very basic and I wouldn't recommend, a £3 m&s meal deal is way better value for money.

• England, Male, 18-24
8th Jul 2017
6.3

Room was unbearably hot, my 'locker' could be popped open by pressing down on it, most of the staff didn't even speak great English. It's okay if you need a quick place to crash, but don't expect good service or a friendly atmosphere there

6th Jul 2017
7.1

Alright for a one night stay - relatively clean, easy to find, good value for money. Lots of older men around the common areas I didn't feel particularly comfortable around as a solo female traveller, but luckily my roommates were closer to my own age. It had reached 30 degrees during the day, so staying on the top floor was like being in a sauna - a fan would have really helped, as I ended up having to soak my travel towel in cold water to get cool enough to fall asleep.

• USA, All Female Group, 18-24
6th Jul 2017
4.6

The hostel didn't feel anything like your average hostel. There were school groups of what looked like 14 year olds and then a woman in our room who was clearly over the age of 65. The showers were absolutely disgusting - you had to stand on your tippy toes to reach the water. The bunks are triple bunks in the 15-bed room, which would be fine if the room wasn't so awkwardly laid out with absolutely no space for your stuff. Absolute worst hosts I've ever stayed in and I've stayed in over 15.

1st Jul 2017
4.0

It was really bad ! don't go there. you will find much better hostels for this price.

1st Jul 2017

Very good place to stay. Recommended

• Canada, Female, 18-24
28th Jun 2017
6.6

Good Hostel for a night or two but not much more. showers were little sketchy and did not often have an easily controlled temperature. I was in a 10-person room and found far too full. Little room to move around and window let in very little air. The bed itself was too small also, being 5'10" I found the cubby like bunk to be short Fine if all you need is a bed but not the type of place you hang out with your hostel mates. Breakfast was decent considering the price, toast and cereals and such.

Thank you for leaving your feedback. We are happy that you mostly enjoyed your stay with us. We hope that if you decide to come and stay again that you can choose a room with fewer beds so you can feel more comfortable in your stay. We are aware that our beds can be small for taller guests as all our beds are European standard size. Kind Regards Smart Hostels Team