Smart Russell Square Hostel Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

I stayed in the hostel only one night. I was left with the key of my room and no way to find my bed. It was a very big room and it was dark already but no one helped me to find my bed and I almost ended up bouncing on another person. The hairdryer in the shower didn't work. I kept my hair wet. The only good thing was breakfast and the atmosphere of the place. And the position was what convinced me to get my sleep in there. Never again.

• 30th Aug 2015

Terrible atmosphere, staff were not particularly nice and paying to put your luggage in a luggage room while it's not even locked it's just got a man sitting there is absolutely ridiculous. Ehh if you want something cheap it's worth it I guess

The accommodation is basic but very good quality. Facilities are clean and well kept. Staff are nice and multilingual.

I thought it was quite odd that there was no tea at breakfast.

• 25th Aug 2015

I stayed in a 15 person mixed dorm. It was what I imagine sleeping in a sweat shop would be like. The beds are little boxes stacked on top of one another. The showers were dirty and the bathrooms looked like they had mold in them. With that being said, the location, price, and staff were phenomenal. Steps away from the tube, something like 10 Sterling a night and the staff was awesome and very helpful.

• 25th Aug 2015
  • Austria

our ensuite was very clean. Bed curtains good. Staff are young, could use some training. Is there security? 2 very cool homeless guys joined in the common area for the movie. but construction was ongoing in from the hostel, maybe security was there. shrug. 1 night, could've been worse

Room 209 had almost zero ventilation and was extremely hot and humid. The room was probably unlawful it is current condition.

• 20th Aug 2015

Problems with the first room with it being super hot and no fan or cooling system. Then charged additional because all they had available was in a 9 bed dorm. Rooms do not have lockers available unless you pay for them. Staff were not really helpful at any level.

The big rooms can be a little overcrowded (as expected) and it misses in luggage space (which makes the room's appearance a little messy) but there are good parts to them as well: all beds have power outlets plus the individual curtains for each bed help big time when you are off to bed.

Good points: - all Staff were friendly and helpful. All of them!! - Bed linen was free - Security was good - Bed curtains were a good Bad points: - One plug socket in room - Toilets not and not available on every floor - no air con, too hot in rooms - no mention of deposit prior to visit - No water fountain - Tesco own brand bread for breakfast with diluted juice, no fresh juice

A 10 pound bill got stolen from the counter by a cleaning lady when we wanted to pay the deposit. Fortunately the staff behind the counter didn't have us pay for the card. Very dirty hostel, breakfast served very shortly in the morning and the common room isn't cozy at all.

• 18th Aug 2015

Really enjoyed staying in this hostel normally I do be concerned about the cleanliness in hostels. I really enjoyed the hostel the cleanliness was excellent I got freshly washed ironed still warm sheets on arrival security lockers available at your bed for 1.50£ very handy! Only complaint no tea or coffee facility available in the hostel for the weary traveller!! only available at breakfast big disappointed as there is no easy accessible coffee shop close to hostel!

• 18th Aug 2015

Love this place! perfect for trips to London stayed twice now & wouldn't bother to stay anywhere else! Ideal location, can walk to British Museum!, shops, restaurants, etc... & a bit further is Covent Garden...only criticism is that new sofas are badly needed in the lounge as they have seen better days - so many people love to hang out & eat & socialise in there that you really need some heavy duty easy to clean sofas & chairs. Ensuite shower room was an excellent addition by the way!

• 18th Aug 2015

well, as it was already said in the comments before- there are not enough sockets for charging your stuff, i was staying in a 10 bed dorm and there were only 2 sockets. by the way, as it is a UK type of sockets, you have to have or buy an adapter to be able to use it....the toilets/bathrooms are quite clean- only- the bathroom i was using had only one sink so sometimes there was a queue waiting to brush their teeth..as i was staying only 2 nights- the hostel was quite good value for the money.

My locker was broken, despite broken promises from the staff that it would be fixed for two days. It was pretty loud, but there wasn't much of a communal space to meet others. Also, a girl I didn't know took my bed.

Nice hostel with a good atmosphere, staff were good but could have smiled more and said hi to you.

• 15th Aug 2015

Really enjoyed the location. As with getting a larger shared room, there were some noisy roommates over friday night, but it was a great experience nonetheless.

This was a great, cheap hostel. The bunks had curtains so privacy was possible. It had everything you could want out of a place, it felt safe and ticked all the boxes, except the showers were a big let down, there was no hooks or shelves for soaps etc which wouldn't be a huge problem but the showers were on very short tap timers. Other than this great place with helpful staff and usable wifi.

Pretty good hostel.. A lot of people, nice anda big common room Good breakfast One little issue to name is the lack of plenty hoy water un wc, specially yo take a shower... To me... A good overall experiencie. Thanks!

The reception was lovely. So helpful and I was short on budget and they helped me out which made me feel good. Brand new bathroom Very clean at breakfast time the cleaners do a great job Best hostel I stayed in in London

• 11th Aug 2015