Smart Russell Square Hostel Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

The towels are a bit expensive (£5) but the staff are very good.

• 30th Jan 2016

Second stay and this hostel is soooo well run and the management and staff are excellent.

Stayed here for 3 nights, was perfect for my needs! Not many complaints apart from staff not overly friendly and dorms a little too crowded. Nice common area with sofas and great location next to British museum and Covent Garden. It lacked a fun hostel atmosphere but maybe it's just not that kind of place :)

• 26th Jan 2016

Showers were not very clean a used sanitary towel was found in a shower cubicle Room could do with better ventilation it was too hot and the air freshener could be turner on more frequently the room smelled of sweaty feet.

• 26th Jan 2016

I am 70+ and needed to stay in London for a week on my own. The hostel was fantastic, I met the most fabulous young people from all over the world. The staff were totally helpful and I got to do all that I had to attend. My business was various and this hostel was such fun and a glorious change from the dailly grind. Russell Square is so central and then straight to the airport at Heathrow by Piccadilly tube line.

Dirty rooms and bathrooms, no ventilation in the rooms. Poor breakfast. And the atmosphere is not nice also, not many backpackers and a lot of elderly people.

Day staff were exceptionally unfriendly, night staff were great, very limited breakfast options in the morning, stains on the linen.

If it were possible for this hostel to make their policies less convenient, I'm sure they would. My room was filthy upon arrival (& smelled funky for my whole visit), the locker rental procedures require multiple trips (up 3-floor walk-up) to secure a locker, the building is kept unlocked w/ minimal security & my fellow guests were partying into the night in their rooms - not in the common space. (Not surprising, as the common space is far from inviting.) Location good, all else needs attention.

Great location good facilities, love the curtains for each bed for a bit of privacy even in dorms. Bit frustrating that a dorm of 10 had to share two power sockets for charging phones etc. But other than this it was a good stay.

The water of the bath was cold and the kitchen closes in a inappropriate time (9:15 pm).

stayed 1 night,staff ok,give it 8/10 for everything! would stay again.

1. Staff needs to be friendlier. The blond girl at the reception desk looks as if she couldn't be bothered talking to people. 2. Charging people 2 pounds for luggage storage is quite a cheap thing to do. 3. Add covers for the top bunk. I slept on a top bunk and I couldn't sleep since I was literally sleeping right under the lights and next to the toilet lights. 4. Improve ventilation. the room was stifling hot. There was only one fan in a tiny room with 18 people.

my 2nd time staying at this hostel.8 bed mixed room is quiet,the ensuite toilet+shower is good. needs more power outlets for all the guests/or get 5 plug gangways

This place is awesome! Love the hospitality and love the fact that it's right next to the train station. Worth the money and the location is great! The place is very friendly and I made a lot of friends! The only downside is that if you are using your card to buy/rent a towel, it was hard because I guess there's a minimum for a debit card purchase. Ali is the man! And the female workers there are also very attractive! I would come back again!

I expected more for the amount of money I paid. Locker storages were in the room but we had no access to it as our key cards could not unlock them. As the room was small I could not put my bag anywhere as it would block the walkway and therefore left it on the cramp bed at my feet.

I really love the location of the hostel. It is the center of London and I can go everywhere easily. I stayed 18 people room and I was really shocked that there was 3 floor bed. Wow......But it is really cheap and they give breakfast. I cannot believe that I can stay in great location, with breakfast, from that reasonable price!

The Hostel workers were not very helpful, and seemed annoyed when we asked questions. The room was over crowded, dirty, and did not have working outlets. The showers needed curtains in the mens room. Overall, very overpriced for the quality, but the location was good.

In general is a good cost/ benefit. Good location, close to metro station or 25min walking from major attractions. Wi-fi is a little bit limited and there were only 2 plugs in a bedroom with 9 beds. So you have to charge your devices in the common area. Kitchen free to use and breakfast has juice, coffee, milk, cereals, bread, butter, jam and Nutella ("all you can eat"). Bathrooms are clean but are commonly shared by men and women which could be uncomfortable for some persons.

• 30th Dec 2015
  • Spain

Good location- very close to Russell Square Station Helpful staff and very clean rooms and shower areas.

Very good location. Overall it is a decent accommodation. However it could be improved if you would not have to pay to store your luggage and hire a locker. Also, the female shower could use more cleaning (too much hairs, disgusting).

• 29th Dec 2015