Smart Russell Square Hostel Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

A great price for the location, but the large dorm I stayed in felt like a military barracks, with 3 levels of bunk beds, and the bathrooms were so comically small they were hardly usable for showers. Also, hardly any plugs in the room. If you're really looking for something cheap, this will do, but otherwise you may want to try somewhere else.

Hello, Thank you for leaving a review. Some o our rooms may seem a little cramped, but this is London and every inch counts. Also our prices are very cheap as well. The hostel is going through some refurbishments, and we are working on improving all our rooms. Best regards,

Staff was lovely and spoke different languages which could be helpful. The room was tiny (6 bed dorm) and it felt like we were crammed in, so a bit claustrophobic. The ensuite was very clean but tiny too and not convenient for noise (not great to go to the toilets when you know the whole room can hear everything) The room was quite dark and it was hot inside. That being said, it was great to have a bit of privacy as each bed is hidden by a curtain, great idea!

Hello, Thank you for leaving us a review. All our ensuites were only recently made, we will take all the points on board and address them in the best way possible. Best regards

My room very tiny, hot like hell, Beds short, blocked with wood from 3 sides, curtain on the fourth. Hard to sleep, very hard to stay in the room at all. Requested at least for a fan, but "all were sold out" (staff was trying to help, though). Beds, small sink in the room and bathroom, so tiny that it was difficult even to change inside. Showers (more downstairs) with hot water only (no regulation). Difficult conditions. But a great location. And wi-fi worked perfectly, incl. my room (3rd floor)

Hello, Our beds are designed for the average height and to give our customers as much privacy as possible, which is why we have curtains on our beds. The week that you stayed, the city was hit with a unexpected heatwave, that we were not ready for. However we are introducing fans into the rooms, so we will be ready for the next one. Best Regards,

Felt like a halfway home for middle aged addicts getting off their feet. It didn't help that it was Londons hottest day in history. Cramped, overpriced, and weird vibes all around.

I stayed during the wave and unfortunately the room was extremely hot with very little ventilation. The window was propped open with two water bottles but still very little air made it into the room. Other than that, it way a decent stay.

Hello, We apologies that the rooms were too hot, but as you said it was because of the heatwave and we were not prepared for it. We are in the process of purchasing ans for all our rooms, so we will be ready for the next one. Best Regards,

room too hot, sweat all night long

• 1st Jul 2015
  • Portugal

Hello, Sorry about the heat in the room. However we were not expecting the city to be so hot, we were hit with the biggest heatwave since 2006 and were not prepared. We are currently in the process of purchasing fans to put in all our rooms. Thank you

It is not my opinion... most of them think about this histel.. It is not blame.... just a real situation.

Thank you so much for your pleasant review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay at our hostel. Please like our facebook page to receive all the latest news and updates about our hostel. We hope to see you soon.

Most importantly, my room (50) had a lot of mold on the wall. This is unsafe and thankfully none of us had severe mold allergies or it could have been much worse. Laundry was more expensive than the people at the desk said (by about 1 pound 50). My room had only two electrical outlets and both were next to the door and sink in the first part of the room. People's stuff was getting moved and stolen. Finally, I kept having trouble with my key card and had to get help every day, very annoying.

thank you for your review. We are having a great refurbishment to meet every guests standards. We hope to see you again soon and have a pleasant and enjoyable stay this time.

there were too many beds in the rooms, and no space for luggage, noise all over the place, not a very good place to stay

Hello, We are sorry about the experience you had. As this is London, every inch counts and because our prices are low, some rooms are cramped. We realize this and are refurbishing our rooms, starting with Russell Square. Best Regards

Hope shower cell to be bigger

• 29th Jun 2015
  • China

Hello, Thank you for the review. Our ensuites showers are a little small, but we do offer bigger showers in the basement. Best Regards,

Beyond spartan. Very cramped. Window barely opened, so even with the fan on it was too hot/the room stank of sweaty backpackers. Not enough storage space or power sockets in rooms. No lights for individual bunks. Hooks by bunks were broken. Some basement locker/toilet/shower stall locks broken/damaged/missing. One shower out of order for days. Showers full of hair. Stairwell floor outside bathroom was dangerously wet. Noisy children ran riot in the halls at night. Annoying charge to pay by card.

• 29th Jun 2015

Thank you for your review. The hostel is undergoing a major refurbishment programme to modernize our facilities and we will make sure it would meet every guest expectations. We always value our guests and we thank you for your feedback.

The breakfast is white bread with either butter or jam and coffee.So if your booking for breakfast don't bother. The showers are stone cold,I did see this on another review and thought would be fixed ,NO.Was tolerable as scorcher in London that weekend, if going in the cold winter not good! Only a couple of sockets for chargers in the room not good if in a room share of 12 plus.

if they had charger plugs for each bed, that would be awesome

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are having a major refurbishment in our hostel and one of the them is installing sockets on all beds. We hope to see you soon.

The hostel is very close to Russel square, British museum and the northern train station. Position and security are the best features of this hostel while the quality of the service is rather poor. I think it's ok for a short stay, however I'm not likely to come back.

I loved there is always someone to help you /inform you. Also the fact you can only access with a key card was amazing. Also the breakfast (for a bed & breakfast) was good.

Thank you so much for your review. We are glad you have enjoyed and had a pleasant stay with us. Thank you from all the SRS team.

I was very unhappy about the whole accommodation, I booked it a month in advance. 3 days before my trip I received an email about change of my accommodation to another hostel Kings Cross cause by unforeseen fail in the systém when I arrived to a new hostel there was no reservation for my group.After not being able to fix the problem by phone we have to go to Smart Russell and deal with the situation face to face. Finally we get a alternative accommodation in another part of the city! Hyde Park

thank your for your review. We are really sorry to hear there was a misunderstanding. We will keep in consider all the feedback from all our valuable guests. We hope you will join us again and have a pleasant stay.

The experience was really appalling and the staff were extremely rude, arrogant and down right oppressive. Not at all disabled friendly and as it was the weekend of Pride they were really transphobic and the day of checking out came it was a sigh of relief, they were really unwelcoming. As I couldn't climb the stairs or ladder to the 2nd floor bunk I was forced to sleep on a really uncomfortable sofa and never had any sleep for it being so uncomfortable and noisy. If I were you stay clear!

Thank you for you review. We are really sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at our hostel. Regarding the beds we get full easily during the weekend and the beds are first come first served. We hope you would come along and have a pleasant stay this time.

no place to keep your soap or shampoo in shower have to push repeatedly for water to run in shower toilets clean unreliable wifi in room squeaky floor i room

Thank you so much for your review. We are sorry there were some points you didn’t like about our hostel. We will take your feedback into consideration and improve our facilities in all ways possible. We hope to see you again soon.

Would be best if there was a lift, and instructions to bring necessary tags down for check out was past on properly to avoid having to climb up and down the stairs whenever. Other than that, it was a really pleasant stay and very strategically and conveniently located.

• 25th Jun 2015
  • Singapore

Thank your for your review. We are glad you had a great stay. Hope to see you soon.

Our room had 8 people with no fan, window that opened only about 4 inches. It was quite stuffy and warm.

Thank you so much for giving us your time with the review and the good rating. We have inserted window fans in the rooms to keep them cool and comfy for all our guests. We hope to see you soon and have a more pleasant and comfortable stay this time.