Smart Russell Square Hostel Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

Clean, friendly staff. Kitchen facilities could do with an update. Location excellent for price.

I was booked into the hostel for 2 nights. On the first night at 0130 2 men burst into my room---a single room when I was sound asleep, saying they wanted to check if the shower was leaking. I was shocked and terrified. They left after a few minutes, however they were running up and downstairs for 1/2hr, and each time was afraid they would rush into my room again. I was so distressed by this unexpected and traumatic incident that I checked out next day and will not make future bookings.

• 25th Nov 2014

Excellent location. Hotel is cheap due to not many facilities. We slept there in the end of November 2014, there were big works of refurbishment in progress. Hostel didn't mention that at all ay the reception or the website. 8am be woken up with drills is not nice. Had much better sleeping in others.

Poor breakfast, stuff didn't return a 10£ deposit

The hostel was quiet at night so we got a great nights sleep. The hostel was located around the corner from a tube stop and a few blocks from the British Museum. I would definitely stay here again!

• 22nd Nov 2014

great location and therefore good price for staying in a great area. The room for 18 was really small but it was good enough for a weekend to save money.

Stayed here because they were pretty much the only ones to accept people underage since I was traveling with my brother and his friend. The atmosphere wasn't that great since everyone kept to themselves. I didn't have a bad stay but I would only recommend this hostel for someone who needs a place to crash, not solo travellers.

I slept in a 8 dorm female Hostel. People and space was ok. cleaning lady did not clean the bathroom ensuite one day. I didn't like that they charge for everything (locker 1,50/day; luggage storage 2 Pound, weight luggage 1 pound). breakfast is just toast, marmelade, white cornflakes, and tea/instant coffee. But all in all, for a weekend over this hostel is totally fine, especially because his central location. you can walk to soho, covent garden, piccadilly

Decent hotel though I would point out that I was in a 6 person ensuite room and at 5" 2' I felt very crammed in the beds and if I was laying I only had maybe 6-8 inches to spare so if you're tall you may want to reconsider.

Hi there, thank you for your feedback! Our bunks were chosen to suit guests up to 5ft10 which is taller than the average; however we are currently looking extending this for the comfort of our guests! We hope to see you again!

Very happy with my stay everything was perfect:)

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to share your Smart Backpackers experience after your recent stay. We hope to see you again!

Considering so many people are staying, it's not that dirty- but it could be cleaner. The staff is okay. However, the wifi didn't work for days, and if you want any degree of security at all, there's an additional charge. The breakfasts are quite simple as well, just toast with jam or cereal to choose from.

Hi there, thank you for your feedback! We are glad you found our hostel hygienic and clean! The internet is free in communal areas (kitchen, dining area, TV room and reception). However if you would like high speed internet in your room, it will cost £1 for 24 hours! We take the safety, wellbeing and comfort of all valued guest very seriously. In addition to our 24 hours reception, we also have 24 hour CCTV and night security every night. We hope to see you again!

Friendly staff, clean beds and management is clearly trying to upgrade. The price is still attractive if you want a central, posh area. But they squeeze so many people into the building that it's stressful and unpleasant. I spent 5 nights in a basement 15-bed dorm with no natural light, little space to move, and stacked 3-level bunks -- like a submarine. The common area is like a loud metro at rush hour. I couldn't wait to leave. Better to pay more for better atmosphere and wider space.

Hi there, thank you for your feedback! We are currently investing alot of money to improve the facilities in our hostel so very soon a majority of our rooms will be upgraded to include ensuite facilities. We are glad you found your experience good value for money. We have different types of dormitories to suit different types of travellers depending on their budget. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. Thank you for staying with Smart Backpackers.

very clean and friendly staffs and would like to stay again. if there are more plugs in the room it would be perfect!

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. We are very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for your compliments about our friendly and helpful staff and we are pleased to hear you found the hostel very clean! We are currently in the process of upgrading our dorms; soon all beds will be fitted with personal power sockets! We hope to see you again!

혼성10인묵었는데 침대는 진짜 좁긴해요 그래도 커튼이 쳐져 있어서 프라이버시 보장되구 1층키친자유롭게이용할수있어요 콘센트가 침대옆에 따로없어서 불편했구 화장실은 좁지만 깨끗했어요

Hi there, thank you for your feedback! We are glad to hear you had a clean and comfortable stay. We are currently investing alot of money to improve the facilities in our hostel so very soon a majority of our rooms will be upgraded to include ensuite facilities. All of our beds are fitted with privacy curtains to ensure extra comfort for our guests! We hope to see you again!

Since my last stay - I commented on the shower curtains needing attention. I was pleasantly suprised to see that they hd all been replaced and looked 100% better. as before the staff at check-in were very pleasant and everything was Good.

Hello, thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback. We always try to implement any improvements suggested in reviews into our hostels. We are so glad you saw the positive enhancement to our shower curtains! We are pleased you enjoyed the pleasant and friendly manner of our staff and we hope to see you again!

There were no free beds in the room I was given, so the lady at reception came up to the room and took someone's things and told me to take that bed. Of course this man still had a key and came in later at night yelling at me. It was scary and not something I should have had to deal with! no lockers

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. We are sorry about the confusion in your bed situation. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. We do have lockers in all of our dormitories available for guests use for a small fee. Thank you for staying with us.

This place is a ripp off when I went down to reception to book another night they charged me an extra 10 pounds because I didn't book it online. The rooms are tiny no room for bags, no pillow case or quilt cover and you can't sleep I it's too noisy. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone

Hi there, we are sorry you are unhappy with the price your paid for your additional night. We never stop our guests from looking online before making a booking. Upon check in each guest is provided with a clean pillow case and fresh bed linen. Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback.

Your average large hostel. They are still in the middle of renovations so it's the luck of the draw whether you get an updated nice room or in my case an old crappy room, where there was no water in the taps and one of the shared bathrooms is out of order, meaning there is only access to one tiny sink for a tonne of people. Toilets were two floors down and showers 5 floors down. Beds are too short for tall people and I don't like how you have to even pay for lockers in your own room.

Hello, many thanks for staying with us and for providing your valuable feedback. Some of the things you've mentioned are being resolved right now. The hostel is undergoing a refurbishment and the rooms will all have en-suite bathrooms. In the meantime, we have a large gender split shower room in our basement to ensure our guests don't have to wait for a shower. We aim to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London which is why we do not include lockers in the price.

We had a wonderful time, stayed there for 3 nights. Conveniently located, very nice/helpful staff, not the best beds but definitely worth the money we paid! Thank you and see you soon!

crammed in like caged chickens. Toilet are extremely small

Hello, thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback. We have invested alot of money into our hostels to ensure we provide our valued guests with fresh, clean and hygienic rooms. We have different size dormitories to suit different types of travellers depending on their budget. Our main goal is to provide clean, inexpensive accommodation in Central London. We hope to see you again!