Smart Russell Square Hostel Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

Wonderful location and price. Clean, but could be cleaner

• 27th Nov 2015
  • Mexico

Hi Thank you for your feedback, it’s important for us and it will definitely help us to improve our hostel. We hope to see you again, Smart Hostels Team

Awesome hot showers en block with secure lockers to place your clothes etc while you get wet and a rail outside the shower to hang your towel. Plug socket in the bed to charge the mobile phone, camera etc while sleeping. Dorm room was hot all night while outside side in the street was freezing.

Thank you very much for your review and for choosing Smart Russell Square hostel. We really enjoy our job so it's great to hear that you had a good time with us! Come back any time, we hope to see you soon! Regards, Smart Hostels Team

The bathroom was a bit disappointing but it was my first hostel experience! I survived!

• 23rd Nov 2015

Hi! Thank you for your review. Many thanks for staying with us and for your feedback. We hope we will see you again. Regards, Smart Hostels Team

I were twice there with the group of my students.We stayed 2 nights .We had all what we needed. Next time I will book this hostel again.

Hello and thank you very much! Looking forwards to see you again soon, always welcome! Kind regards, Smart Hostels Team

Pros: Great location, friendly staff and well priced for London. Cons: The rooms, beds and ensuite washrooms were tiny. The room only had a couple outlets. The breakfast was disappointing - only had toast and cereal (most hostels have fruit, yoghurt, cheese and meat as well as toast and cereal). No backpackers atmosphere, a lot of people seemed to be staying there long term.

Hello! Thank you very much for your feedback! We take note of your comments and we hope to see you again. Best regards from Smart Hostels Team

The private room is too small. There is no place to put your luggage. It is not possible even to hang your jacket. The bed is a bunk one with no proper ladder to get on the top bed.

The worst hostel I've stayed at in London and I've stayed at in about 10. Staff spoke barely English. Breakfast what you'd expect, not enough mugs though . Alright for a night but woudln't stay any longer. Nice curtains for privacy in beds. Very stuffy rooms. Wifi working in common areas although at reception said it to work everywhere.

Thank you for your review. Our hostels offers a range of different sized dormitories, suitable for the different guests we accommodate. Some rooms may seem a little overcrowded, but it is not the case with all our rooms. We acknowledge that at times our Wi-Fi slows down, which is why we are in the process of changing our service provider. We hope to see you back sometime soon and enjoy our new improvements :). Kind regards, Smart Hostels Team.

Although short, we had a great stay. The dorm rooms don't allow much room between beds/for luggage, but that's ok as we weren't in there much anyway. The curtains on the beds were very usefully for giving guests some privacy, dont get a top bunk if you're a light sleeper though, the light will come in through the top. There were lockable boxes available in the rooms, unfortunately you had to purchase a key to use them though. Overall a good stay and would return for short stays in the future.

Thank you very much for your review and for choosing Smart Russell Square hostel. Come back any time. We hope to see you soon! :) Regards from Smart Hostels Team

The hostel wasn't really what I've expected, despite its good location, great facilities and security. I didn't have a plug-in in my bed, the room hadn't enough space for everyone in there. The bunks consisted in three beds and you couldn't sit in your own bed. They were also really short. I'm tall (not so much) and I'd to sleep in diagonal in my bed. The bathrooms inside the bedrooms were absolutely poor!! Really small, not so clean and they seem to be chemical bathrooms.

Thank you very much for your comments. We are currently improving our facilities installing outlets in each bed. Some of our rooms have already been updated/upgraded. Feel free to have a look at our latest news on Facebook! :) Kind regards, Smart Hostels Team

Room smelled terrible with socks. It was overcrowded. No charges or lights near beds. Terrible smell was in the kitchen too. You have to pay for locker. You even can't leave your baggage after check out for free.

• 14th Nov 2015
  • Russia

Thanks for your time to leave a comment about your experience in our hostel, we are sorry the room did not match your exceptions, I am glad to tell you that our maintenance team is in process to upgrade the rooms and adding sockets to the beds. Lockers are available for every guest in every room and cost £1.50 per night to rent. Your security key-card is activated with the locker details at reception.Limited luggage storage is available and costs £2 per bag from check-out to midnight. Regards

The bed is terrible. You need rent a locker. You need pay if you leave your bags last day.

Hello and thank you for your feedback. Lockers are available for every guest in every room and cost £1.50 per night to rent. Your security key-card is activated with the locker details at reception. Limited luggage storage is available too and costs £2 per bag from check-out to midnight on the day of your departure.As our prices as so cheap considering our amazing locations, we have no choice but to charge for such things. Regards, Smart Hostels Team

This hostel is ok to spent the night. Far to be the best hostel I've been but almost fine. Location is great, close to everything, especially the Russell square station, breakfast is included. Only one very small sink in the common bathroom (one bathroom per level), even if there is one more per room this is not convenient at all, especially during rush hours. Moreover some basics facilities are not free: lockers (50p/night), storage room (2£).

Thank you for your review. Our location is in the heart of London and we are very close to all the important sites in London. We do offer our guests lockers in the rooms or a secure luggage room for a small price. As our prices as so cheap considering our amazing locations, we have no choice but to charge for such things. Best regards from Smart Hostels Team

Good Hostel PROS - Good location. Staff were friendly and helpful. Beds were comfy and also had curtains for privacy. Breakfast was basic, but you didnt really need anything more. CONS - Wifi is average, doesn't work in the rooms unless you're next to the door, Had to sit in the toilet or the stairwell if I wanted to use it. Shower facilities need an overhaul - the water pressure almost blew me out the door and actually hurt to stand under, also nowhere to put your stuff while you shower.

Thank you for sharing your experience. We will pass on your comments. We acknowledge that at times our Wi-Fi slows down, which is why we are in the process of changing our service provider. Hope to see you again, Smart Hostels Team

Showers never really got hot, and the mattresses need replacing as they were quite dirty

• 8th Nov 2015

Thank you for your review. We are continually working on the hostel to improve it for our guests. We will pass on your comments. Thanks again from all the SRS team.

Located right around the corner from a tube station & a Tesco, really handy. Atmosphere wasn't the greatest, but I only spent my sleeping hours there. The curtained beds were good. I stayed in the 8 bed female dorm, it was a little cramped but I had no issues with it. Good place to stay if you're just passing through on a weekend & don't plan to spend much time at the hostel.

Hi! Thank you so much for your feedback and you are most welcome any time! Smart Hostels Team

The staff is great, the breakfast excellent and generally everything is very clean. However, the showers downstairs are like from the past - just the room with plenty of showers, no curtains... The last time I saw sth like that was when I was staying in the campsite somewhere in Lithuania. :-) But generally, this hostel is absolutely alright.

Hello and thank you for your review! We really hope seeing you in our Smart Hostels once again and make our hostel as your next comfort home to stay in. Kind regards, Smart Hostels Team

The location is really good, it's in central London, but not really a "Hostel", a lot of older people live inside and the safety is not very good, I lost two items during the stay and I am not the only one who lost personal belonging. Another girl from Thailand lost her beer, and my friend lost her food. But the price is quite reasonable, that's why a lot of people there choose to stay for a long time.

Hello Thank you for your review and for sharing your experience. We will pass on your comments. We hope to see you again, Smart Hostels Team

cheap for london

Nice hostel and good location

We appreciate very much your feedback. Hope to see you again! :) Smart Hostels Team

The boxes (beds) were the only spaces available to each person in the rooms - no room to swing a cat in the dorms! London generally is very very expensive.

Thank you for your feedback. Our hostels are in Central London and offer a very competitive accommodation facility for his location. You are welcome back any time. Smart Hostels Team