Smart Russell Square Hostel Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

Great value for location -- easy to get to various sightseeing attractions, liked the privacy curtains on the beds. Could use more room to hang/store stuff once you enter the shower stall. Liked the free breakfast. Need more outlets though as there were only two that I saw that were accessible in my room and I wouldn't want to leave my electronics out near the door where someone could grab them.

Thank you very much for your comments. We are currently improving our facilities installing outlets in each bed. Some of our rooms have already been updated/upgraded. Feel free to have a look at our latest news on Facebook! :) Kind regards, Smart Hostels Team

We had a great stay for the Rugby World Cup and found that staff brilliant. There was one fella working on the night we checked in called Christain or Carlo (began with "C") and he was so helpful. My friend had her bag stolen from O'Neill's Irish bar the following night (Sat) and when she got back to the hostel, this lad was still doing a night shift and he was so lovely to her. She just wants to say a big "thank you". We stayed in room 201 and we'd definitely stay at the hostel again.

• 30th Oct 2015

We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us! :) We always try to help. Best regards, SRS Team

Poor wifi. No hot water for showere. Rooms very small and cramped

Thank you for sharing your experience. We will pass on your comments. Kind regards, Smart Hostels Team

Good atmosphere, each bed is located in separate boxe, there is curtains on it and just a little window so there was not too much light in the morning, very good. And for once, of all my hostel experience in London,people of the room take care to not do too much noise in the night.

We are glad to see you liked the privacy of our beds layout. We hope to see you again. You can now check our latest news and photos on Facebook. Have a lovely day from Smart Hostels Team

The worst hostel i have ever stayed in! EVER! I felt like i was trapped in a halfway house. Rude staff, filthy kitchen, small beds, showers and toilets were a nightmare, breakfast was a joke and staff refused to give me more nutella once the one of the table ran out. I have never stayed in a hostel with a worse atmosphere and highly reccomend you find anywhere else to stay.

Great Hostel! Small, cheap, friendly, and free breakfast! Bathroom and toilets are clean, rooms are small but still enougl place for luggage and sleep! Be back again for sure!

Hello! We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We aim to give high standard service to every customer. See you soon! Smart Hostels Team

I've stayed in countless hostels and this was by far the worst! The atmoshpere was horrible and depressing. Apart from a few other travellers and young school groups it felt like a homeless shelter. The rooms were tiny with bunks 3 beds high that were extremely uncomfortable, the kitchen was the most disgusting i've come across, i had food stolen from the fridge, clothing and electronics stolen from my room as lockers are not included, staff were very rude, showers were a joke. Don't stay here!!

Great atmosphere and pleasant staff.

Hi! Thank you so much for your feedback and you are most welcome any time. Smart Hostels Team

Good location, good price for London. They do seem to have an add on cost for everything else though eg. Lockers luggage storage etc. But good enough for the price.

Thank you for your review. Indeed, we aim to offer accommodation in Central London at a very competitive price. That is why some extra services are at an additional charge, because not everybody needs them either. Hoping to see you soon! Smart Hostels Team

Great staff. Not much of an atmosphere, actually quite mixed groups with families and older travelers. Not the cleanest bathroom..

Hi and that you for your suggestions, we always try our best to keep everything to our guests standards and progress in further improvements. Now you check our latest news, offers and photos on Facebook :). Best regards, Smart Hostels Team

The hostel is well organized and relatively safe. The facilities are not that good and not the most clean in the world. But, ok so far. The worst problem I found was with the showers downstairs - they simply burn you if you try to use them. Besides, they work that annoying way you have to reopen every time the water stops falling. Ok, we all need to save water. But do not try to burn me if I am trying to take a shower.

Thank you! We will pass on your comments. Have a lovely day from all the SRS team.

Staff were extremely rude, barely any power points in rooms so you cant charge electronics, beds are 3 bunks high and unsafe, also too small to sit up or lay down properly, you have to pay extra for a locker which is disgusting, showers are nightmarishly small, all water shuts off after 5 seconds, toilet lights turn off constantly, kitchen is filthy with no utensils and no oven, i had food stolen from me, no pool table as advertised, i felt more like i was in a halfway house than a hostel.

Hi Teagan! Our staff are trained and practiced to give their 100% to all our customers. As you may saw, we're having bigger refurbishments ind our hostel and rooms and we are aware to add more sockets to the bunk beds and the room. Our three bunk beds are tested and passed for the safety of use to all guests. We will do our investigation and see what had happened in the kitchen.Oven is a high risk of health and safety to be used in such a big hostel for you and other guests around the hostel :(.

The location is great but thats about it. The 18 dorm i was in was filthy and someone spilled some powder on my first day. When I left 6 days later no one had cleaned it yet. The beds had no curtains in this new dorm as advertised. the door lock broke twice and staff tried to fix it in the middle of the night (3AM) switching on the light without apology. The dorms are tiny and there is no space for luggage. The in-built toilet-showers in the dorms are filthy and unusable after the first shower

Thank you for giving your time in leaving your review! Our housekeepers team give 100% hard work progress to their job. We will analyze this situation and take future action into solving it in a much better way. As for the door issue it was due to guests request and safety for other guests sleeping in the room the job needed to be done at such time :(. We hope seeing you in our Smart Hostels again and will make our Hostels your next comfort home :) Smart Hostels Team

Showers were different, internet connection was okay. It was a good stay though!

• 19th Oct 2015

Thank you Rick for your review! :) Please come back soon in our hostels, Smart Hostels Team

Staff is really courteous and helpful.

Happy to hear that, I hope you enjoyed your stay! :) Thank you very much, Smart Hostels Team

Stayed in a 12 bed dorm. The bunkbeds were 3 high and had it's own power socket so I could charge my phone beside me all night. The bed also had curtains. There was a shower block with so many showers that the thought of queuing seemed highly unlikely. There was a towel rail but no shelf to put shower gel so I just put it on the floor. The showers were perfect temperature and even had lockers to put your clothes which was lockable with a small padlock. They were also very clean.

Thank you Stuart! Seems you had a nice stay with our hostel :) Please come back soon and enjoy all our new benefits. Best regards from all SRS Team

We stay in hostel 2 nights and all was good. Hostel are close to the city center what is neccessary if you have small budget trip. Talking about this topic, price for this hostel was good for that what we get for it. Staff are nice to you if you are nice to them, so we like staff very much, they was helpful and open. Only thing what we recommend to hostel is to put more than one hook in shower. Thank you!

• 17th Oct 2015
  • Latvia

Thank you very much !! Suggestions noted :) We'd be happy to see you again in our hostels, kind regards from the Smart Hostels Team

This place is whats wrong with hostels. dirty rooms, bathrooms, and showers. expensive. Most people there were not backpacking but just looking for work in London. Staff was either apathetic or incompetent with a few exceptions. stay somewhere else.

Thank you for your review and we're sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. We are continually working on the hostel to improve it for our guests :(. As you can see we are having some changes to our rooms which will make our guests have a wonderful stay. Hope seeing you soon in our hostel once more again Thanks again from all the SRS team.

No strange people there, but people from all over the world and of all ages. Located in the very center of London is easy to go to all the touristic places. The hostel also provide a good breakfast. The staff is very nice and I want to say THANK YOU to the receptionist boy.We arrived earlier, at 6am and he let us stay in the common room and also eat the breakfast even if the check-in is at 11am.

• 16th Oct 2015
  • Romania

Great review, thank you! We hope to see you soon, Smart Hostels Team

The location could't be better in such rate, you don't need any transfer to connect the airport,and it's easy to reach by other public tranports. And the place is lovely,it's neither too bustling nor too quiet all around. Nothing to complain except only two sockets in my room.

Hi, thank you very much for the review! We are having a major refurbishment in our hostel and one of the them is installing sockets on all beds. Looking forward to see you in our hostel very soon! :) Smart Hostels Team