Smart Russell Square Hostel Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

The breakfast is white bread with either butter or jam and coffee.So if your booking for breakfast don't bother. The showers are stone cold,I did see this on another review and thought would be fixed ,NO.Was tolerable as scorcher in London that weekend, if going in the cold winter not good! Only a couple of sockets for chargers in the room not good if in a room share of 12 plus.

if they had charger plugs for each bed, that would be awesome

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are having a major refurbishment in our hostel and one of the them is installing sockets on all beds. We hope to see you soon.

The hostel is very close to Russel square, British museum and the northern train station. Position and security are the best features of this hostel while the quality of the service is rather poor. I think it's ok for a short stay, however I'm not likely to come back.

thank you for your review. We are having a great refurbishment to meet every guests standards. We hope to see you again soon and have a pleasant and enjoyable stay this time.

I loved there is always someone to help you /inform you. Also the fact you can only access with a key card was amazing. Also the breakfast (for a bed & breakfast) was good.

Thank you so much for your review. We are glad you have enjoyed and had a pleasant stay with us. Thank you from all the SRS team.

I was very unhappy about the whole accommodation, I booked it a month in advance. 3 days before my trip I received an email about change of my accommodation to another hostel Kings Cross cause by unforeseen fail in the systém when I arrived to a new hostel there was no reservation for my group.After not being able to fix the problem by phone we have to go to Smart Russell and deal with the situation face to face. Finally we get a alternative accommodation in another part of the city! Hyde Park

thank your for your review. We are really sorry to hear there was a misunderstanding. We will keep in consider all the feedback from all our valuable guests. We hope you will join us again and have a pleasant stay.

The experience was really appalling and the staff were extremely rude, arrogant and down right oppressive. Not at all disabled friendly and as it was the weekend of Pride they were really transphobic and the day of checking out came it was a sigh of relief, they were really unwelcoming. As I couldn't climb the stairs or ladder to the 2nd floor bunk I was forced to sleep on a really uncomfortable sofa and never had any sleep for it being so uncomfortable and noisy. If I were you stay clear!

• 26th Jun 2015

Thank you for you review. We are really sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at our hostel. Regarding the beds we get full easily during the weekend and the beds are first come first served. We hope you would come along and have a pleasant stay this time.

no place to keep your soap or shampoo in shower have to push repeatedly for water to run in shower toilets clean unreliable wifi in room squeaky floor i room

Thank you so much for your review. We are sorry there were some points you didn’t like about our hostel. We will take your feedback into consideration and improve our facilities in all ways possible. We hope to see you again soon.

Would be best if there was a lift, and instructions to bring necessary tags down for check out was past on properly to avoid having to climb up and down the stairs whenever. Other than that, it was a really pleasant stay and very strategically and conveniently located.

• 25th Jun 2015
  • Singapore

Thank your for your review. We are glad you had a great stay. Hope to see you soon.

Our room had 8 people with no fan, window that opened only about 4 inches. It was quite stuffy and warm.

Thank you so much for giving us your time with the review and the good rating. We have inserted window fans in the rooms to keep them cool and comfy for all our guests. We hope to see you soon and have a more pleasant and comfortable stay this time.

The temperature in the room was too warm, we had to keep the window open on the noisy street. There was a lot of noise in the building too. And the showers were shared..

• 23rd Jun 2015

Thank you for your feedback. We are on process of installing window fans on every room to keep good ventilation process. We also have male and female showers located in the basement of the hostel. We hope you will have a pleasant stay next time. We hope to see you soon.

I stayed in the 18-bed mixed dorm. The bed length was very short (and I'm only 165cm tall), might not be comfortable for longer stays. I don't mind the high school gym style showers, but the cubicles are waaay to small, the water splashes everywhere and everything gets wet. Also, they really shouldn't charge for the locker and luggage room(£2). However, the location is really good and convenient. The staff were also very friendly. Would recommend only for a few nights stay.

• 23rd Jun 2015
  • Malaysia

Thank you for your review. We will take your feedback in consider to offer the best service for all our guests. We are installing lockers for our guests who can use their own padlocks in the rooms. We are also having a great refurbishment process all around the hostel. We hope you will enjoy your stay more pleasantly next time. We hope to see you soon.

The ensuite bathrooms are incredibly small! I ended up using the restroom on the floor below me multiple times because I hated the ensuite ones so much. Otherwise, my stay here was great! The room is cheap, the location is great, and the security was very nice.

• 22nd Jun 2015

Thank you for your review. We are continually working on the hostel to improve it for our guests. We will pass on your comments. Thanks again from all the SRS team.

Great hostel, clean, good location. Friendly staff. Would go there again. Cheers

Thank you so much for your pleasant review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay at our hostel. Please like our facebook page to receive all the latest news and updates about our hostel. We hope to see you soon.

I really enjoy my stay at this hostel. The location was very practical for me not too far away from the centre.

• 20th Jun 2015
  • Romania

A very average hostel. Old Fashioned in it's décor and approach. Felt more like somewhere I would have stayed on a school trip. Plus the doors are very heavy so there is a lot of door banging during the night. It's ok for one night but no more than that.

Thank you for your review. The hostel is undergoing a major refurbishment programme to modernize our facilities and we will make sure it would meet every guest expectations. We always value our guests and we thank you for your feedback.

as always - pleasant staff on arrival and departure and Room clean and safe. many thanks - will be back

Thank you so much for giving us your time for the pleasant review. We hope to always meet your expectations. We also have a facebook page which has all the new updates about our services. We hope to see you soon.

The room was clean and nice. The staff were friendly and accomodating too! The only thing that we didn't like was the fact that there's no lift. We had a hard time carrying our suitcases in our room :)) But overall, we had a good stay and we will definitely go back if we will be in the area :)

Overall a pleasant hostel, there is only one remark: there are no common PCs available, which is really outrageous. You should get at least two PC's in the living room or in the corridor for the guests that don't have laptops or phones or need to do sth urgently. I've been travelling for last 10 yrs and this is the 2nd hostel that does not have common PCs. Get that fixed ASAP please.

Thank you so much for your review. We will take your feedback seriously and to improve our service to the best standards. We hope everything else is what you wished for and too see you soon.

The room is unreasonably hot and stuffy and the window cannot be opened. They have unisex public toilet and shower room which I don't think is a good idea.

Thank you for your feedback and its much appreciated. We have done these toilets with showers to ease the use for our guests. As the other showers are based in the basement and this would give our guests the freedom to choose the way they desire to comfort their use. We will take your feedback seriously to improve our services and we hope to see you back soon.

There were many pricey upfront costs that we were not made aware of before hand (like £10 deposit for a card, and you have to pay to have a locker). The beds were short and being 5'8" my feet easily touched the footboard. The room was extremely hot but the window was nailed shut. The floor was sticky, there was no room to put anything. Bathrooms are far away, there is not a good common space to socialize, and wifi is incredibly slow.

Thank you for your review. We are really sorry that you did not enjoy much of your stay with us. Regarding the lockers we try to offer cheap accommodation for low budget travellers at a very good location, the prices we offer do not include locker charges as most of our guests do not need to use them, therefore they do not end up paying for things the do not need. We are now upgrading the rooms for lockers with locks so the guest can bring their own locks if they wish to use a locker.