Smart Russell Square Hostel Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

Felt like a halfway home for middle aged addicts getting off their feet. It didn't help that it was Londons hottest day in history. Cramped, overpriced, and weird vibes all around.

I stayed during the wave and unfortunately the room was extremely hot with very little ventilation. The window was propped open with two water bottles but still very little air made it into the room. Other than that, it way a decent stay.

Hello, We apologies that the rooms were too hot, but as you said it was because of the heatwave and we were not prepared for it. We are in the process of purchasing ans for all our rooms, so we will be ready for the next one. Best Regards,

room too hot, sweat all night long

• 1st Jul 2015
  • Portugal

Hello, Sorry about the heat in the room. However we were not expecting the city to be so hot, we were hit with the biggest heatwave since 2006 and were not prepared. We are currently in the process of purchasing fans to put in all our rooms. Thank you

It is not my opinion... most of them think about this histel.. It is not blame.... just a real situation.

Thank you so much for your pleasant review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay at our hostel. Please like our facebook page to receive all the latest news and updates about our hostel. We hope to see you soon.

Most importantly, my room (50) had a lot of mold on the wall. This is unsafe and thankfully none of us had severe mold allergies or it could have been much worse. Laundry was more expensive than the people at the desk said (by about 1 pound 50). My room had only two electrical outlets and both were next to the door and sink in the first part of the room. People's stuff was getting moved and stolen. Finally, I kept having trouble with my key card and had to get help every day, very annoying.

thank you for your review. We are having a great refurbishment to meet every guests standards. We hope to see you again soon and have a pleasant and enjoyable stay this time.

there were too many beds in the rooms, and no space for luggage, noise all over the place, not a very good place to stay

Hello, We are sorry about the experience you had. As this is London, every inch counts and because our prices are low, some rooms are cramped. We realize this and are refurbishing our rooms, starting with Russell Square. Best Regards

Hope shower cell to be bigger

• 29th Jun 2015
  • China

Hello, Thank you for the review. Our ensuites showers are a little small, but we do offer bigger showers in the basement. Best Regards,

Beyond spartan. Very cramped. Window barely opened, so even with the fan on it was too hot/the room stank of sweaty backpackers. Not enough storage space or power sockets in rooms. No lights for individual bunks. Hooks by bunks were broken. Some basement locker/toilet/shower stall locks broken/damaged/missing. One shower out of order for days. Showers full of hair. Stairwell floor outside bathroom was dangerously wet. Noisy children ran riot in the halls at night. Annoying charge to pay by card.

• 29th Jun 2015

Thank you for your review. The hostel is undergoing a major refurbishment programme to modernize our facilities and we will make sure it would meet every guest expectations. We always value our guests and we thank you for your feedback.

The breakfast is white bread with either butter or jam and coffee.So if your booking for breakfast don't bother. The showers are stone cold,I did see this on another review and thought would be fixed ,NO.Was tolerable as scorcher in London that weekend, if going in the cold winter not good! Only a couple of sockets for chargers in the room not good if in a room share of 12 plus.

if they had charger plugs for each bed, that would be awesome

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are having a major refurbishment in our hostel and one of the them is installing sockets on all beds. We hope to see you soon.

The hostel is very close to Russel square, British museum and the northern train station. Position and security are the best features of this hostel while the quality of the service is rather poor. I think it's ok for a short stay, however I'm not likely to come back.

I loved there is always someone to help you /inform you. Also the fact you can only access with a key card was amazing. Also the breakfast (for a bed & breakfast) was good.

Thank you so much for your review. We are glad you have enjoyed and had a pleasant stay with us. Thank you from all the SRS team.

I was very unhappy about the whole accommodation, I booked it a month in advance. 3 days before my trip I received an email about change of my accommodation to another hostel Kings Cross cause by unforeseen fail in the systém when I arrived to a new hostel there was no reservation for my group.After not being able to fix the problem by phone we have to go to Smart Russell and deal with the situation face to face. Finally we get a alternative accommodation in another part of the city! Hyde Park

thank your for your review. We are really sorry to hear there was a misunderstanding. We will keep in consider all the feedback from all our valuable guests. We hope you will join us again and have a pleasant stay.

The experience was really appalling and the staff were extremely rude, arrogant and down right oppressive. Not at all disabled friendly and as it was the weekend of Pride they were really transphobic and the day of checking out came it was a sigh of relief, they were really unwelcoming. As I couldn't climb the stairs or ladder to the 2nd floor bunk I was forced to sleep on a really uncomfortable sofa and never had any sleep for it being so uncomfortable and noisy. If I were you stay clear!

• 26th Jun 2015

Thank you for you review. We are really sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at our hostel. Regarding the beds we get full easily during the weekend and the beds are first come first served. We hope you would come along and have a pleasant stay this time.

no place to keep your soap or shampoo in shower have to push repeatedly for water to run in shower toilets clean unreliable wifi in room squeaky floor i room

Thank you so much for your review. We are sorry there were some points you didn’t like about our hostel. We will take your feedback into consideration and improve our facilities in all ways possible. We hope to see you again soon.

Would be best if there was a lift, and instructions to bring necessary tags down for check out was past on properly to avoid having to climb up and down the stairs whenever. Other than that, it was a really pleasant stay and very strategically and conveniently located.

• 25th Jun 2015
  • Singapore

Thank your for your review. We are glad you had a great stay. Hope to see you soon.

Our room had 8 people with no fan, window that opened only about 4 inches. It was quite stuffy and warm.

Thank you so much for giving us your time with the review and the good rating. We have inserted window fans in the rooms to keep them cool and comfy for all our guests. We hope to see you soon and have a more pleasant and comfortable stay this time.

The temperature in the room was too warm, we had to keep the window open on the noisy street. There was a lot of noise in the building too. And the showers were shared..

• 23rd Jun 2015

Thank you for your feedback. We are on process of installing window fans on every room to keep good ventilation process. We also have male and female showers located in the basement of the hostel. We hope you will have a pleasant stay next time. We hope to see you soon.

I stayed in the 18-bed mixed dorm. The bed length was very short (and I'm only 165cm tall), might not be comfortable for longer stays. I don't mind the high school gym style showers, but the cubicles are waaay to small, the water splashes everywhere and everything gets wet. Also, they really shouldn't charge for the locker and luggage room(£2). However, the location is really good and convenient. The staff were also very friendly. Would recommend only for a few nights stay.

• 23rd Jun 2015
  • Malaysia

Thank you for your review. We will take your feedback in consider to offer the best service for all our guests. We are installing lockers for our guests who can use their own padlocks in the rooms. We are also having a great refurbishment process all around the hostel. We hope you will enjoy your stay more pleasantly next time. We hope to see you soon.

The ensuite bathrooms are incredibly small! I ended up using the restroom on the floor below me multiple times because I hated the ensuite ones so much. Otherwise, my stay here was great! The room is cheap, the location is great, and the security was very nice.

• 22nd Jun 2015

Thank you for your review. We are continually working on the hostel to improve it for our guests. We will pass on your comments. Thanks again from all the SRS team.