Smart Russell Square Hostel Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

The showers and rooms feel very much like cattle in a room. A lot of effort can be made to give the rooms more character and facilities like bedside lamp, better matrassen, power plug by bed

Very basic but it works. Atmosphere better than in the cheaper London hostels. Downsides are that it's very busy and you have to pay for everything else including lockers and towels.

Hello, Thank you for your feedback! Come back any time. We hope to see you soon, Smart Hostels Team

From seeing the reviews, I was expecting the worse, BUT I actually had a really good one night stay. No fuss, straight to the room. I was impressed with the 3 bed high rooms, I was able to get a bed at the bottom. The room was clean apart from suitcases on the floor making it hard to walk because there is not much space in the room, but enough if you're only staying 1 or 2 nights. Bathrooms were clean. It wasn't noisy, it was a bit cold but better that than too warm! Great location

Thank you for you review. We are pleased you have enjoyed your stay with us. We always try our best to keep everything to our guests standards and progress in further improvements. Now you check our latest news, offers and photos on facebook.

This hostel was the worst place I have ever stayed in my life! Avoid it at all costs. Not only was it awful, staff were all rude and unhelpful. I can't even be bothered writing all the things wrong with it. Spend a few extra pounds and stay at the generator around the corner.

• 24th Sep 2015

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! We're sorry to hear that. We are going to investigate further and making sure that all of our staff members are following our policy of making our guests feel just like at home. As you can see we are having some changes to our rooms which will make our customers have a wonderful stay. Hope seeing you soon in our hostel once more again.

One of those hostels where you feel you have to lock your bag and take your passport with you every time you go to the toilet. Not welcoming at all, the wifi doesn't work and the rooms are over capacity (3 tier bunk beds) - shouldn't be allowed.

breakfast looks as it was ready with everything set up like milk, serials, bread etc but not 7.30 yet. People thought it was Ok to start till they hear a shout from a woman in the kitchen ''7:30 please '' -- ,, if she could maybe put a big sigh that everyone can see ---

I was in the 18 bed dorm and I didn't have a problem with anything. In the mornings you may have to wait for the shower or bathroom, but that's about it.

The hostel is very noisy. The rooms are not comfortable. The showers in shared bathrooms are tiny, you have no place to leave your clothes and get dressed, everybody (boys/girls) can see you. The boys at the reception did not give us back the deposit even though ir was refoundable!

• 20th Sep 2015
  • Argentina

I wouldn't recommend staying here, no atmosphere, terrible lighting, misleading facilities and rules. My greatest frustration were the showers, they are positioned about 2m, no temp control, you are blasted by a intense pressure water at eye level, no lower. Impossible if you don't want to get your hair wet! The kitchen closes from 9.15 to 9.50pm, so be warned. Doesn't make sense to me. I only stayed one night and got a refund on remaining nights. Stay at Astor Museum Inn instead, they're close!

thank you for your review. We are having a great refurbishment to meet every guests standards. We hope to see you again soon to have a pleasant and enjoyable stay this time.

Entirely unimpressed with this hostel. Staff were sullen, and I felt almost unwelcome. Not a nice atmosphere.

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! We're sorry to hear that. We are going to investigate further and make sure that all of our staff members are following our policy of making our guests feel just like at home. As you can see we are having some changes to our rooms which will make our customers have a wonderful stay. Hope seeing you soon in our hostel once more again.

Big hostel. Breakfast was good and wifi was good. Great location.

Noisy, smelly, wrong sort of foreigner . Too many dodgy acting rude East Europeans, there was a racist Hungarians there

• 17th Sep 2015

Thank you so much for your review. We will take your feedback seriously and to improve our service to the best standards. We hope everything else is what you wished for and too see you soon.

Lower rooms very moist No back lockers Very helpful staff though!

please do sth with internet

Thank you for your review. We are really sorry to hear you had a problem with the wifi. We are always trying to update the wifi so there will no issues in the future.

i did not stay at Smart Russell Square Hostel at that night But they still changed me!

• 14th Sep 2015
  • China

Great location, some of the lockers under the bed didn't work. Nice cheap hostel 🏨

Thank you for your review. We are really sorry that you did not enjoy much of your stay with us. We are now upgrading the rooms for lockers with locks so the guest can bring their own locks if they wish to use a locker. We hope you can come along again and we are sure it will be pleasant this time.

About the staff the woman who serve and clean while breakfast is on, more than poor, two or three rude Polish or Easterns, a guy from Middle East, not rude but a bit big maners, the security guy and the Spanish receptionist great. Water for a shower was more for cold than hot, didnt have a pleasant one. Atmosphare is great as you have a big dinning area where to chill and chat

Its nice clean and safe..friendly staff also.. It will be more nicer if they put more sucket in each room..to charge cellphone and other gadgets is very important to travellers

• 12th Sep 2015

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are having a major refurbishment in our hostel and one of the them is installing sockets on all beds. We hope to see you soon.

very clean and big hostel. I stayed a whole weekend and I felt welcome all the time. great kitchen and common room. I do recommend this hostel

Overall very good, but the breakfast time was always a big confusing.

• 11th Sep 2015
  • Portugal

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Now you can check our latest news, offers and photos on facebook.