Smart Russell Square Hostel Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

I stayed in the 18-bed mixed dorm. The bed length was very short (and I'm only 165cm tall), might not be comfortable for longer stays. I don't mind the high school gym style showers, but the cubicles are waaay to small, the water splashes everywhere and everything gets wet. Also, they really shouldn't charge for the locker and luggage room(£2). However, the location is really good and convenient. The staff were also very friendly. Would recommend only for a few nights stay.

• 23rd Jun 2015
  • Malaysia

Thank you for your review. We will take your feedback in consider to offer the best service for all our guests. We are installing lockers for our guests who can use their own padlocks in the rooms. We are also having a great refurbishment process all around the hostel. We hope you will enjoy your stay more pleasantly next time. We hope to see you soon.

The ensuite bathrooms are incredibly small! I ended up using the restroom on the floor below me multiple times because I hated the ensuite ones so much. Otherwise, my stay here was great! The room is cheap, the location is great, and the security was very nice.

• 22nd Jun 2015

Thank you for your review. We are continually working on the hostel to improve it for our guests. We will pass on your comments. Thanks again from all the SRS team.

Great hostel, clean, good location. Friendly staff. Would go there again. Cheers

Thank you so much for your pleasant review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay at our hostel. Please like our facebook page to receive all the latest news and updates about our hostel. We hope to see you soon.

I really enjoy my stay at this hostel. The location was very practical for me not too far away from the centre.

• 20th Jun 2015
  • Romania

All perfect. No towels though. But it did not ruin our stay.

• 19th Jun 2015
  • Lithuania

A very average hostel. Old Fashioned in it's décor and approach. Felt more like somewhere I would have stayed on a school trip. Plus the doors are very heavy so there is a lot of door banging during the night. It's ok for one night but no more than that.

Thank you for your review. The hostel is undergoing a major refurbishment programme to modernize our facilities and we will make sure it would meet every guest expectations. We always value our guests and we thank you for your feedback.

as always - pleasant staff on arrival and departure and Room clean and safe. many thanks - will be back

Thank you so much for giving us your time for the pleasant review. We hope to always meet your expectations. We also have a facebook page which has all the new updates about our services. We hope to see you soon.

The room was clean and nice. The staff were friendly and accomodating too! The only thing that we didn't like was the fact that there's no lift. We had a hard time carrying our suitcases in our room :)) But overall, we had a good stay and we will definitely go back if we will be in the area :)

Overall a pleasant hostel, there is only one remark: there are no common PCs available, which is really outrageous. You should get at least two PC's in the living room or in the corridor for the guests that don't have laptops or phones or need to do sth urgently. I've been travelling for last 10 yrs and this is the 2nd hostel that does not have common PCs. Get that fixed ASAP please.

Thank you so much for your review. We will take your feedback seriously and to improve our service to the best standards. We hope everything else is what you wished for and too see you soon.

The room is unreasonably hot and stuffy and the window cannot be opened. They have unisex public toilet and shower room which I don't think is a good idea.

Thank you for your feedback and its much appreciated. We have done these toilets with showers to ease the use for our guests. As the other showers are based in the basement and this would give our guests the freedom to choose the way they desire to comfort their use. We will take your feedback seriously to improve our services and we hope to see you back soon.

There were many pricey upfront costs that we were not made aware of before hand (like £10 deposit for a card, and you have to pay to have a locker). The beds were short and being 5'8" my feet easily touched the footboard. The room was extremely hot but the window was nailed shut. The floor was sticky, there was no room to put anything. Bathrooms are far away, there is not a good common space to socialize, and wifi is incredibly slow.

Thank you for your review. We are really sorry that you did not enjoy much of your stay with us. Regarding the lockers we try to offer cheap accommodation for low budget travellers at a very good location, the prices we offer do not include locker charges as most of our guests do not need to use them, therefore they do not end up paying for things the do not need. We are now upgrading the rooms for lockers with locks so the guest can bring their own locks if they wish to use a locker.

WIFI was woefully lacking.

Thank you for your review. We are really sorry to hear you had a problem with the Wifi. We are always trying to update the Wifi so there will no issues in the future. We also thank you on behalf of all Smart Russell Square hostel team for the high rating.

The shower are very cold (15% hot), impossible to control the weather. The staff are very rude with customers and they lie. They charge 1,5p per day to lock your thing, its impossible with your own locker. I do all the Europe and it's the worst staff and cleanliness hostel that we did. I wanted to pay with credit and they charged me a fee of 3% (never specified on the site) with the calculator, nothing very formal. I never do review. But my story with smart rusell square is inhuman.

• 8th Jun 2015

Thank you for you review. Regarding the showers we have placed the showers together for two main reasons. First is to save energy by using one big boiler for all the hostel instead of one small boiler for each floor. Second reason is to ensure that there will always be a shower available for our guests to use unlike other hostels where guests have to walk around the hostel from one floor to another to find an empty shower. Regarding the 3% fee for credit cards, it is imposed by our bank.

A standard corporate/chain hostel, everything clean, brightly lit and functioning well. Some people might find the atmosphere alienating and bad for mental health (there was a Japanese man crying in the corridor when I went for my shower), but then again others would say it's a great cheap 'in & out' option. Free breakfast is: bread/toast, jam, butter, cornflakes, muesli, milk, tea, coffee and squash. At least adding brown bread and soy milk would be nice but otherwise can't complain.

• 7th Jun 2015

Thank you for you review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Our staff are always there to help you with all enquiries you may have and make you feel safe and comfortable.

I would add hairdryer in rooms and lockers for free (now some fee). Apart from that excellent location and super friendly staff! Very clean!

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We try to offer cheap accommodation for low budget travellers at a very good location, the prices we offer do not include locker charges as most of our guests do not need to use them, therefore they do not end up paying for things the do not need. We are now upgrading the rooms for lockers with locks so the guest can bring their own locks if they wish to use a locker.

18 people room is just a narrow walkway. You don´t have space to move your lugagge. Difficult to walk. In the bathroom is diffilcult for showering. The water flow is not continuos, it´s like a buttom tap, you have to press the buttom for the water to flow every 6 seconds, it´s ridiculous. The breakfast is included, but it´s very poor. There´s not wifi at the room (at least the one I stayed). Heard about other hostels for the same value, but better values. Don´t stay here.

• 5th Jun 2015

Thank you for your review. We have different types of dormitories to suit different types of travellers depending on their budget. We offer a cheap and competitive accommodation at a very good location.

The location is really good, but the atmosphere of the hostel not so much. It is really large, which makes it a bit anonymous. The showers are not really nice, all in one very large room. The breakfast is very basic.

Thank you for your review and comments. We are currently undergoing upgrade work by giving our rooms en-suite facilities, making our guests experience much more pleasant. Thank you again for staying with and we hope you visit us again to see our improvements.

This is a very large hostel in central London, so is always very busy. It will appeal to many for those reasons, and making allowances for it's size, I can't fault their operation.

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Now you can check our latest news, offers and photos on facebook.

I love it! So good service, helpful staff, clean and peaceful! Nice atmosphere. Would have been fair to borrow adapters for persons who stays in London for one day :) I think every good hostel can organize it, so even few adapters for few hours loan could be possible to make. Now I bought adapter I needed once. Waste of everyones' money :)

• 4th Jun 2015
  • Finland

Thank you for your review and lovely comments. Your ideas can help us improve our service so you thoughts on the adapters will be pass onto the relevant departments. We thank you for staying with us and hope to see you again soon.

This hostel was OK. It was very well priced for London. However the rooms were small with tiny bathrooms and there ain't much of an atmosphere.