Smart Russell Square Hostel Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

Overall very good, but the breakfast time was always a big confusing.

• 11th Sep 2015
  • Portugal

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Now you can check our latest news, offers and photos on facebook.

Quite a nice place, comfortable beds, great shower facilities, and lovely breakfast options. They even agreed to looking after a parcel I had sent to myself. My only complaints are that the water pressure of the tap in my room was far too low and there is no lift for people with heavy bags.

Cannot trust staff

Hi and thank you for your review! We are disappointed you did not enjoy the manner of our staff. We rigorously review our performance to improve our standards of service. As you can see we are having some changes to our rooms and hostel too which will make our customers have a wonderful stay. We hope if you decide to come back you will notice the positive improvements we have made. Best regards, from the Smart Hostels Team

Bathrooms were not too clean and very uncomfortable as they were unisex and most of the men had no problem walking out of the shower naked. There were only 2 outlets in our room of 9 so it was constantly a battle trying to charge our devices. Sheets had a weird black stain on them. Almost like paint. No one emptied the overflowing trash can for the 4 days that we were there. Overall not a very pleasant experience but it was cheap and a great location.

• 7th Sep 2015

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are having a major refurbishment in our hostel and one of the them is installing sockets on all beds. We hope to see you soon.

Very good location.

• 7th Sep 2015

This was the worst hostel I have stayed in after constant travel and hostels around Europe and UK. Do not stay here if you want to get any sleep. They seem to have no noise policy. The hallways carry any kind of noise that you can hear very loudly with earplugs in. Guests have no respect and running up and down the hallways shouting. The common area is filled with dirty, broken couches. The fridge is overfilled with everyone's food in plastic bags, crammed in together and leaking.Very unpleasant

• 6th Sep 2015

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We're sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us :(. We are going to investigate further and making sure that all of our staff members are following our policy of making our guests feel like home. As you can see we are having some changes to our rooms and hostel which will make our customers have a wonderful stay. Hope seeing you soon in our hostel once more again :). Best regards from Smart Hostels Team

No electricity to charge the cell phones!!!! Showers are too cold, or too much pressure, and nowhere to put your stuff while showering :(

The breakfast was very poor and dirty. A towel cost £ 5 a day per person. I had booked a Twin room but I have found a tiny room with bunk beds. The staff wanted £ 20 for a deposit but in the room there wasn't anything so deposit for nothing. The wasn't neither a lock to put a rucksack. The only thing good was the location but it was to expensive for the service.

• 5th Sep 2015

Hi Marco, thank you for your review. We are having a great refurbishment to meet every guests standards. We hope to see you again soon and have a pleasant and enjoyable stay this time. Best regards, Smart Hostels Team

Absolute nightmare. Staff is unfriendly, "breakfast" is horrible, added on fees once you try to check in, and a bunch of facilities were shut down, mainly the female showers so my girlfriend was unable to bathe. Also, a man would talk to himself all night in our bunk. After booking 5 nights, we ended up staying 1 and running away as fast as we could the morning after our first night. This place can honestly ruin your trip around Europe. Avoid at all costs. Location is the only positive aspect.

Hello Cameron and thank you for your review, so sorry to hear that :(. We are continually working on the hostel to improve it for our guests. We will pass on your comments. Thanks again from all the SRS team.

Not awful, just wasn't as nice as depicted. Location was perfect for what we needed. Bathrooms were too small but relatively clean. Some of the fine print policies listed need to be updated. For example, it said online it was £1.50 for a locker, but really it was £4. Good enough, probably wouldn't stay again though.

Thank you for your review. We're really sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us :(. Regarding the lockers we try to offer cheap accommodation for low budget travelers at a very good location, the prices we offer do not include locker charges as most of our guests do not need to use them. We are now upgrading the rooms for lockers with locks so the guest can bring their own locks if they wish to use a locker. We hope you can come along again and we are sure it will be pleasant this time!

Bad toilet. Bad shower room. Dirty kitchen.

Thank you for your review. We are continually working on the hostel to improve it for our guests. We will pass on your comments.

The location was right next to the Russell square tube station so that was nice. Towels are £5 each so don't forget to bring yours! The bathrooms were disgusting and so small- there was no room to do anything. The showers flooded the whole bathroom and got everything wet.

Hi Erin, thank you for your review! We are continually working on the hostel to improve it for our guests. We will pass on your comments. Thanks again from all the SRS team.

The location for this hostel is really good if you are trying to get around by metro because the station is right behind the hostel. There is also a 24 hour Tesco Express right in front of the metro/tube station that is really convenient if you forgot any toiletries or want to pick up a snack. Also if you want to do a hop on hop off bus tour there is a stop really near by. Reception is available 24 hours a day. This is a very large hostel but they do their best to keep up with the facilities.

Thank you for you review. We are pleased you have enjoyed your stay with us. We always try our best to keep everything to our guests standards and progress in further improvements. Now you check our latest news, offers and photos on facebook.

Twin private room very small but done the job. I reported a broken toilet seat & it was fixed straight away. Staff checked me to make sure I was a paying customer so security was good. Quite a social hostel, we met some interesting people. Room was clean & ready for us. Overall very happy.

We were 3 people staying in a 8-bed mixed dorm for 4 days. The room was clean, not stuffy and thanks to the lockers and the gaps underneath the beds, enough space was provided for luggage. The curtains on every bed grant you the possibility to sleep even if the lights are on (but the beds are really not made for tall people). Staff is really friendly, common room and breakfast are good, lavatories and showers are perfectly fine, except that there was just 1 sink for the entire bathroom.

• 2nd Sep 2015
  • Austria

I stayed in the hostel only one night. I was left with the key of my room and no way to find my bed. It was a very big room and it was dark already but no one helped me to find my bed and I almost ended up bouncing on another person. The hairdryer in the shower didn't work. I kept my hair wet. The only good thing was breakfast and the atmosphere of the place. And the position was what convinced me to get my sleep in there. Never again.

• 30th Aug 2015

Reception staff was ok but the kitchen/cleaning staff was pretty rude to customers. The location was a bit out of the way but it was near the metro which made getting around easier. The rooms were tiny and each floor had a community shower. It was pretty noisy though. Sounded like the people above us and in the stairwells were having a party all the time. Bring war plugs and a mask if your sensitive to lights being turned on and off at all hours. The breakfast was pretty good. Lots of Nutella.

i advice not to use Hostelworld.com for booking.. This site is working with all problematic ones. last year i made a booking from hostelworld and paid %15 amount. after a while hostel cancelled my reservation because of invalid credit card. idiot officilas tried to charge with wrong credit card number. when i demanded %15 deposit from hostelworld didnt pay back my money. they are fraudulent. Smart Russell declared three beds, indeed one bed, and one french bed. Hostelworld's terrible classic

Terrible atmosphere, staff were not particularly nice and paying to put your luggage in a luggage room while it's not even locked it's just got a man sitting there is absolutely ridiculous. Ehh if you want something cheap it's worth it I guess

Well located hostel that is more reasonably priced then most other hostels in London. Good information in reception on activities and how to get to the airports. Some simple changes would further improve the place: Don't charge extra for lockers in dorms, this is just crazy. Start breakfast earlier, queues for attractions start early. The common area feels very boring, different furniture and some good music in the evenings would help.