Smart Russell Square Hostel Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

This is a very large hostel in central London, so is always very busy. It will appeal to many for those reasons, and making allowances for it's size, I can't fault their operation.

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Now you can check our latest news, offers and photos on facebook.

I love it! So good service, helpful staff, clean and peaceful! Nice atmosphere. Would have been fair to borrow adapters for persons who stays in London for one day :) I think every good hostel can organize it, so even few adapters for few hours loan could be possible to make. Now I bought adapter I needed once. Waste of everyones' money :)

• 4th Jun 2015
  • Finland

Thank you for your review and lovely comments. Your ideas can help us improve our service so you thoughts on the adapters will be pass onto the relevant departments. We thank you for staying with us and hope to see you again soon.

This hostel was OK. It was very well priced for London. However the rooms were small with tiny bathrooms and there ain't much of an atmosphere.

Location was the best part, close to the tube which meant we could get in and out really easy. The staff were good, just one who didn't really understand our frustrations with the bathroom in our ensuited room. They have sensor lights which means once the shower curtain is pulled across it can't sense you so your forever waving your arms around to activate the light whilst trying to wash your hair etc.. The ensuite was also so small that you had to sit down sidewinders to do anything.

Thank you for your review and comments. We're so happy that you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of our great location. Your problem with the shower is unfortunate and I will be contacting the relevant department to investigate and resolve these issues for the future. Thank you for your feedback and we hope you will come stay with us again soon.

Showers are not okay at all. Something out of Orange is the New Black. Not sure the sheets are clean so bring your own. But for £10 a night that's what you get

You definitely get what you pay for. It is a big hostel with any beds In one room. The 18 bed room stacks three beds on top of each other in six rows which gives it a prison feeling. HOWEVER the location for the price you're paying is excellent. If you stay for a couple nights to do something specific in London I don't think there is a place that could beat this hostel

Location is excellent. However, there are not enough utensils at the kitchen for all guests (we had no forks or glasses to use) and bathrooms could be cleaner. Also, he heard about guests having their personal belongings stolen by other guests - twice in a week!

Thank you for your review and your excellent score for our location. Our rooms are cleaned by our housekeepers daily to keep the facilities clean and hygienic, if there are issues, our reception is always open for a hasty resolution. Your comments on the kitchenware will be passed on to the relevant department so we can improve our services in the in this area. Unfortunately thefts can happen and we asks guests to be vigilant with there belongings, with lockers available to rent. Thank you.

I almost didn't go here because of all the negative reviews. But we had a great experience. We stayed in the 8 bed female dorm. The ensuite bathroom was such a perk! The other ladies were quiet and polite. We slept well! We did not do the free breakfast. The staff was friendly and helpful. The internet worked! And it was in walking distance of so many things! I'd stay here again!

It was really cool. However it would be nice to have a bit more possibilities for breakfast, like hot milk, different kind of jelly, etc. Shower water was not hot enough... and most of the showers didn't work properly. Rooms are quite small... there's almost no space to manipulate luggage and all that staff... The rest was very nice. I'd recommend it for a 2-3 nights stay

It's a bit far away but very clean and nice. We stayed in the female room just because it was the only one left. Maybe because of that, we didn't get a fun hostel vibe (there were also some big school groups), but it was quiet and nice to get a good night's sleep.

There was renovations going on that we weren't told about so got woken up fairly early because they were loud, strong smell of paint coming into the room too and we paid a lot so expected a better stay. Not the best hostel to meet people - school groups and old people staying there not just youth. Some staff were friendly. Wifi worked everywhere and bunk had a curtain. Good location and good security. Breakfast is not good unless you like white bread and cornflakes.

This hostel seems to cater to large groups of traveling student groups. There were 20+ member student groups from the U.S. and Finland during our stay here. This plays a role in the atmosphere- definitely not a hostel to stay at if you're looking to make a lot of new friends. No locked storage unless you pay £1.50 per night. Overall though, good value for the money and right by the Russell Square tube which has an elevator/lift for you and your luggage.

The safes really should not cost money.. No one uses them because of that and it needlessly makes theft much easier.

The room was in a basement and smelt mouldy. The beds were short (& built like a box). I'm 5"7, & couldn't stretch my legs out. My 6" boyfriend, had to sleep with his head at an angle, and his feet flat to the end of the bed. One power point by the door in a 13 bed dorm. Lockers £1.50/night. The kitchen was very under stocked and closed at 9:15. The fridges were over filled (mostly mouldy, unrecognisable things). Breakfast ended at 9:30am. Staff weren't very helpful. High school gym showers.

It was awful sharing a room... we had people who litteraly brought someone else to the room and made out while being 7 people there, the breakfast wass nasty, the people in charge of the hostal entered the rooms without respecting privacy of the costumers.

• 21st May 2015
  • Spain

Another Good stay !

Installing more power points in the room would be very helpful. I couldn't charge my phone in the twelve bedroom dorm because it was being used so I had to go into the corridor.

• 20th May 2015

Too expensive. Tiny space. It's a maze when you go to the bathroom or the showers or even your room. Depressive atmosphere.

Girls are helpful in reception,, cleaning people work well,, I would put more air refreshners in the rooms and repair some showers that are not working well. In general the hostel is ok considering the competition.

We love what we do and we try to help our customers as much as we can. We are continually working on the hostel to improve It for our guests. So We will pass on your comments. Many thanks for your feedback and see you soon!

they were so rude asking about our access cards , i need to show my access card like 3 times the lockers are expensive , they have confort bed but is a small room for 12 beds ... they have 3 floors beed which i think quite dangerous if ur nough drunk..