Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

Pauline Mabileau and me (Camille Gaudin) have met again a friend (Justine Charrier) in the Hostel. You have undercharge Justine by around 20 pounds. The problem is that Pauline and I have reserved on internet earlier than justine, Pauline and I have bought 18 pounds on internet and Justine less.Then , when we're in the hostel (Pauline and I), we have to pay a price rather expensive than Justine. We stay the same durability. Pauline and I were in a 19 person bedroom, and J. in a 8 person bedroom

• 8th Sep 2014

It was an ok hostel, the location is good and is secure, however is not as clean as possible and the access to basic services like electricity in the rooms is difficult.

• 6th Sep 2014
  • Mexico

Unfriendly staff, surly and unhelpful. I tried to cancel the rest of my stay as my plans changed and despite doing so more than 24 hours before a couple of the nights, was informed I could only get 80% of the money I had paid back - this was not noted anywhere on the website or at time of booking. Try somewhere else, I've visited a LOT of hostels and this had one of the least friendly atmospheres to date

The location of this hostel is probably the only thing it has going for it. Rooms are overcrowded and stuffy, showers are cold and very much lacking in privacy, sheets were stained and staff weren't friendly. We promptly moved to another hostel. Would not recommend.

Cranky staff are contagious: I showed up excited to stay here. It went away when the folks behind the desk were absently talking at me, had no records of available lockers, and informed me I had to run upstairs and down and pay for a locker per day, re-booking each morning because my access stopped working multiple times. Room smelled worse each day (not the roomies) and My bed was 1 foot from the ceiling.

• 27th Aug 2014

Hi there, thanks for your feedback. We are sorry to hear you have been disappointing with your room. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. We will pass you feedback about the staff onto the Hostel Manager so they can add this to our ongoing staff training!

Not a very welcoming place. Staff wasn't very enthusiastic or willing to answer questions etc... Wouldn't stay here unless you enjoy a prison/summer camp experience. No wifi in rooms

Hi. Thank you for your feedback. It's unfortunate you didn't enjoy your stay. We have just upgraded our wi-fi so it is available in the rooms for just £1 for 1 day OR it is available FREE in the common rooms.

I felt that the value for money was not fantastic and the staff were not as friendly and helpful as they could have been. The hostel is also in an older building that is not in the best state of repair. There is no elevator so lugging backs up four flights of stairs after an 18 hour flight was less than ideal.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to leave some feedback on your stay. Our hostel is based in a listed building and therefore we cannot modify the interior in a way to include an elevator.

Many fees to keep the bags, ugly bedrooms and toilets. They seemed a little dirty.

• 23rd Aug 2014

Thank you for your review. Our aim is to provide clean, low-cost, budget accommodation in Central London for our valued Guests. Our luggage storage rates are a very low £2/bag (from check-out until midnight). When you compare this to the price you would pay at train stations and airports (which start at £6/bag for 3 hours), we believe this is an affordable option for our Smart Backpackers!

+ Well organized + Good value - Beds are too hard and short - The so called 'breakfast' was a joke - Have to pay extra to pay with credit card

• 22nd Aug 2014
  • Sweden

Hello. Many thanks for staying with us and for providing your valuable feedback. As per our terms and conditions we have a 3% surcharge for credit card transactions. However you are more then welcome to pay with cash! We are continuously seeking ways of improving our service's quality, so thank you for your feedback about our breakfast!

Great hostel in a great location. Our nine bed room had 3 triple bunk beds which were fun. If you are over 6' tall the bed can get a little cramped though. They have a nice large kitchen that is very spacious. Breakfast in the morning could be a little better as it is only cereal and white bread for toasting. We would definitely return here.

Hi there, thanks for staying with us and taking the time to provide valuable feedback. We hope we will see you again!

it was very nice

• 19th Aug 2014
  • Argentina

Hello. Many thanks for staying with us and for providing your valuable feedback. We hope we will see you again!

pros: good location, friendly staff, cons: too many beds in the rooms compared to the size of room, way to your bed is blocked by luggage, no showers and toilets in each floor, you must always go up and down, bad showers, water stops when you don't push the button.

Hi, thanks for the feedback! Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. Our team have been busy renovating the premises, which should be finished soon. One of the improvements is the addition of ensuites into the rooms!

I very much enjoyed my stay at Smart Russell Square. The rooms were great and even in the rooms with lots of beds I still felt as if I had privacy. Wifi was a little frustrating and breakfast was sub par but that is my only complaint. Would definitely stay here again.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to provide valuable feedback. We hope to see you again in the future :)

I stayed in a basement room, and the closest working toilets are up two floors and across the building. The bunks are stacked 3 high and there is nowhere to put your luggage if you don't buy the locker, so everyone's stuff is in heaps on the very limited floor. The management seems like they are always arguing with the guests and the cleaning staff pushes by people to wash their drink cups first. The kitchen is nice, though they need towels for drying if they want guests to clean up properly.

Our team have been busy renovating the premises, which should be finished soon. One of the improvements is the addition of ensuites into the rooms. Hopefully if you return you will see the improvements and it will change your option on our Hostel :)

the receptionist really ruined an ok hostel.First they tried to charge us double than the price we had seen online. When we pointed this out they said that we could pay online if we wanted. Then we had to be waiting for 20 minutes for him to get the confirmation email eventhough i had showed him mine.The sheets had blood and humidity stains, but the worst was the duvet, that had fresh blood stains on it. I told them and they didn't change them.luckily it was hot and no need to use it.

• 12th Aug 2014
  • Spain

Hi, thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We are truly sorry to hear you have been disappointing with your stay. We are investigating the issues you have raised further with the Hostel Manager.

Really really pleased. After reading some really bad reviews we were very nervous about our stay. We chose a private room with a private ensuite. The room and bathroom were very clean. They were basic but very comfortable. We were very happy with our stay and very happy to be so close to a tube station. Would highly recommend.

• 11th Aug 2014

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave this lovely feedback. We are very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! It would be great to see you in our Hostel again sometime in the future.

Good enough for my work trips to London: central location, cheap, free breakfast and curtains on the dorm bands for privacy. Not great atmosphere in the common area if you want to socialise, people are too busy with their facebook.

Hello.Thanks for choosing to stay with Smart Backpacker and taking the time to provide valuable feedback. We hope we will see you again!

there is very little space between the bunks to change or even make or strip the linen - the toilets are poor - it is not very convenient to have to go all the way to the basement to take a shower - it is far better to have shower facilities on each floor

• 9th Aug 2014

Hi. Thanks for staying with us and for your valuable feedback. As you've probably gathered we are busy improving the facilities at the Hostel, which should be finished soon (we hope!). One of the improvements is the addition of ensuites into the rooms.

All good, thanks.

• 8th Aug 2014

+Fair value for the price. + I felt safe and that my valuable items were safe 100% of the time. + location is perfect: tube station very close, rental bikes very close, buses near, or you're close enough to walk around various places + the beds have curtains on them :) - Dull atmosphere, do not expect a party hostel. I did make friends ,however, by sitting in the common area - Toilets are on separate floor from showers& rooms - Smaller storage lockers- my large suitcase didn't fit inside

• 6th Aug 2014

Hi! Many thanks for staying with us and for providing your valuable feedback. We hope we will see you again!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7