Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

I arrived rather late at night, and there was a security guard outside the hostel, which made me feel rather safe staying in this hostel. However, there isn't a lot of space in the room, as it is packed with 6 tri-bunk beds, if you have a lot of luggages, you'd find yourselves unpacking your stuff outside the room in the corridor. The bed is also quite ting for tall people. The lockers in the shower are missing keys and the light in the shower room turns of every 15 seconds.

The hostel was overall what you would expect from a hostel. The staff, however, were extremely rude, aggressive, and uncooperative. What really made me mad was that the hostel was listed at 20 pounds/night on hostelworld but the woman checking us in made us pay 35 pounds PLUS the 10 pound deposit (returned at the end of the trip). She of course did not provide us with a receipt, and refused to talk to us about it when I approached her afterwards. The hostel is adequate but I feel swindled.

• 24th Oct 2014

Worst place I have ever stayed with the rudest staff - condescending, impatient and aggressive. The rooms and beds are tiny. Access to showers is a stupid set up, you need to walk through the breakfast room/common area to get to them. Don't bother staying here.

• 23rd Oct 2014

Good value for money and good location near British Museum. Staff was friendly. the place is safe. Toilets were clean and showers were decent. Needs a bit or refurbishing. The beds were comfortable. My bed was quite squeaky but it was ok and I slept well. At beginning many hosts were noisy after 11pm where it was difficult to sleep. But I talked to the manager about it and things got better. Fridge was too full to put food in. I had internet in my room free. Beds fit no more than 1.8 m 10.9 in

• 22nd Oct 2014

It would be great if the lockers weren't as noisy when we open them. And we could use fresh pillow covers per guest. Despite that, it's a great hostel!

I spent 4 night in the worst hostel of my life. I slept in the basement in a room very small with 18 beds and the bed was uncomfortable and the short if you are more than 1.80 metro. I felt if I was in auschiz. I don't know how the government of England permit to open these such. Horrible of place because are inhuman.

It is very good, everything is good except length beds. Who is taller than 1.90m will have a problem. Location is great!

• 19th Oct 2014
  • Croatia
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Hi there, thank you for your feedback! We are glad you enjoyed the location and your stay in our hostel. Our bunks were chosen to suit guests up to 5ft10 which is taller than the average, however we are currently looking extending this for the comfort of our guests! We hope to see you again!

Good: Price, location, was a good atmosphere in the common area, breakfast was decent, I thought the showers were good Bad: yes the beds aren't very big in dorms, there aren't outlets in the room, the wi-fi only works in the common area, but it's good hostel for the price, just don't expect to stay at a Hilton Hotel

Hi there, thank you for your feedback! We are currently looking into installing new bunk beds into our rooms to make the rooms even more comfortable to guests with personal power sockets and more storage space to make the rooms feel that little bit bigger. We are glad you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and the location of our hostel. We hope to see you again!

Small beds, only one bathroom for 3 floors; showers in basement; small, narrow shower cabins without shelf or hanger for items. Noisy guests.

Hello, thank you for your feedback. Many thanks for staying with us and for providing your valuable feedback. Some of the things you've mentioned are being resolved right now. The hostel is undergoing a refurbishment and the rooms will all have en-suite bathrooms. In the meantime, we have a large gender split shower room in our basement to ensure our guests don't have to wait for a shower. We hope to see you again after our renovations!

Staff didn't provide any information on how things at the hostel worked such as having to pay for the lockers. The bunks are three high and the top bunk is difficult to access. The location is great for central London but this didn't really make up for the rest of the experience.

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. We aim to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. The rate we offer does not include lockers as most of our guests don’t wish to use them and this way guests don’t end up paying for services they do not need. We pride ourselves on our central location! We are currently looking into installing new bunk beds into our rooms to make the rooms even more comfortable to guests with personal power sockets and more storage space!

I found that the beds are really hard to get into as they are stacked 3 high. You have to make you own bed and when it's stacked so high there is a fear of falling. I was also woken up very early in the morning by either the staff or some other guests yelling and speaking very loud in the morning. I would not stay there again.

• 14th Oct 2014

You dont have a bord autside to se the name smart rusle hostel ,i dont like your bodygard oudside its too much,i dont like the showers , and kids above as was runing and schreming all the time i cudnt sllip. Tanks

• Slovenia

Hi there, thank you for providing valuable feedback. We are currently being refurbished and we will have brand new sign soon so all of our guests will be able to find our awesome hostel. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. We are sorry you didn't like the security; we only wish to ensure the safety of our guest. Our reception is open 24 hours, so any noise complaints should be reported for immediate action. We hope to see you again.

The living room is really tight and small. It is impossible to breath, because there too many people and there are no windows. The room is tight and the bed really small.

• 14th Oct 2014

Hi there, thanks for your feedback. We have invested alot of money into our hostels to ensure we provide our valued guests with fresh, clean and hygienic rooms. We have different types of dormitories to suit different types of travellers depending on their budget. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. To improve ventilation we are installing safety bars for the windows into all of our hostels to remove the restriction of window openings.

Everything was good, my only thoughts would be - some form of individual lights in the sleeping pods - some people are very rude switching the lights on late at night - which keep others awake, and the shower curtains in the showers have black mould on - which happens - however a quick scrub with bleach wold make all the difference!

Hi there, thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your ideas and will pass them on! Our housekeeping staff start as early as 06:30 and finish at 23:00. We do regular check every one hour during these times of the shared toilets to maintain good cleaning quality. In addition to this, if any cleaning issues get reported to receptionists by guests, it will be dealt with promptly. We will pass your show comments onto the hostel. We hope to see you again!

We reserved two beds for a mixed room one week before. When we arrived, we had preffered to be toguether, but there was not enough space and we had to sleep in different rooms.

• 11th Oct 2014
  • Spain

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. When our guests book online they are reserving a bed not a room. If you contact the hostel prior to yoru booking we can allocate you in the same room to ensure you are placed together. We hope this didn't impact your stay too much and that you enjoyed London!

Bed is too small. Bathroom smells bad. The breakfast is poor. Only one thing that I was content is price.

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. We have invested alot of money into our hostels to ensure we provide our valued guests with fresh, clean and hygienic rooms. We have different types of dormitories to suit different types of travellers depending on their budget. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London We offer an all-you-can-eat basic breakfast includes fresh toast, cereal and tea and coffee. We provide this service free of charge for our valued guest.

The boss is just interested by money. He kept deposit quite everytime for nothing and could put you away from the hostel for no reason (keeping the money of your reservation as well).

Liked the beds had curtains, didn't like that you had to pay additionally if you wanted to use the lockers. Breakfast was basic but fine, location was good being so close to the tube station and not far from other sites. Bathrooms weren't the best and bit annoying they were closed off a couple of times. Place wasn't great but was fine

• 9th Oct 2014

Hi there! We aim to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. The rate we offer does not include a locker as most guests don’t wish to use them and this way they don’t end up paying for services they do not need. We pride ourselves on our central location and we are glad we enjoyed the free breakfast. We are currently investing alot of money to improve the facilities in our hostel so very soon a majority of our rooms will be upgraded to include ensuite facilities!

I took a suite room for 2.. it was very small.. In overall its a nice clean place.. just with strange atmospere.. and be ready for small rooms.. F.Y.I - no elevator.. and breakfest=toasts and jem and butter...

• 8th Oct 2014
  • Israel

The hostel and all its staff is amazing. :)

Hi there, thank you for your valuable feedback. We are really glad you enjoyed your time at our hostel and the manner of the staff. We hope to see you again in the future!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7