Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

I liked but the communication of the receptionists is horrible, speak lower and who does not understand the language very just do not understand the rules and schedules of the hostel. But the givenin are great for those who want to spend one or two days in London.

• 21st Sep 2014

It smelled like fresh paint and obviously recently got some love. The showers are bad: no possibility to adjust the temperature and as a girl if you don't want to get your hair wet you'll have a hard time. Also no mirrors in the bathroom (well, there was a small area but no lights and the floor blocked with old mattresses, might be better after renovations are concluded?). Better be a good climber to reach the third storey bunk beds.

• 19th Sep 2014

They charge you for EVERYTHING!!!! So its extra money for locker, for storage, for printing ONE sheet, for towels etc.. In the end you spend much more in that place than any normal hotel. However, its very clean and location is good. So, go for it if you have a lot of money! :)

• 18th Sep 2014

I did not like the hostel that much in comparison to other ones that I have stayed at. They did however seem to be refurbishing. You get what you pay for so yeah, it was cheap and that is good. But the beds are really short, if you're much more than 165cm or 5'4 you will almost not fit the beds...

It's my first experience with a backpacker's hostel and it is a good one! SMART Russell Square is set in a prime location, a short tube's ride away from most attractions. And it's within walking distance from London Euston and King's Cross Rail Stations. Sheets are clean. If you choose the right bed, you can find space for your luggage.

• 16th Sep 2014
  • Singapore

An absolutely horrible, sleepless night, with drunk guests screaming and shouting all around the hostel and absolutely no action by staff/security. I do stay in hostels when I travel, and can honestly say this was, by far, the worst experience I've ever had with this form of accommodation. Never, never again! I understand that few members of staff are at work here during the night, but such inaction in response to noise is totally unacceptable, out of basic norms of respect in the first place.

I felt like this Hostel nickel-and-dimed you for every little thing; charging for locker use, WIFI, etc. The front desk staff was poorly trained and took ages, and the showers were in the basement; you had to walk through the dining area to reach. Early checkout time; around poor experience. For the price I paid, I expected more.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting much as I had read a lot of negative reviews. The hostel was really good though, in my opinion. The location is excellent, rooms and common rooms are pretty clean and I always felt safe, even if I was travelling alone. The only problem I would say is the showers room: you can only going there from the common room, but it's not like I didn't know it and I didn't care to be honest. If I happen to come back to London I think I'll probably book here again

• 10th Sep 2014

Pauline Mabileau and me (Camille Gaudin) have met again a friend (Justine Charrier) in the Hostel. You have undercharge Justine by around 20 pounds. The problem is that Pauline and I have reserved on internet earlier than justine, Pauline and I have bought 18 pounds on internet and Justine less.Then , when we're in the hostel (Pauline and I), we have to pay a price rather expensive than Justine. We stay the same durability. Pauline and I were in a 19 person bedroom, and J. in a 8 person bedroom

• 8th Sep 2014

It was an ok hostel, the location is good and is secure, however is not as clean as possible and the access to basic services like electricity in the rooms is difficult.

• 6th Sep 2014
  • Mexico

Hi, thanks for your feedback! We pride ourselves on our central and convenient locations. We are located by two major tube stations one being Russell Square and the other Kings Cross St Pancras. Our housekeeping staff start as early as 06:30 and finish at 23:00. We do regular check every one hour during these times of the shared toilets to maintain good cleaning quality. In addition to this, if any cleaning issues get reported to receptionists by guests, it will be dealt with promptly.

A very well located hostel. Close to the british museum. About 30 min walk to pubs/bars places. Beautiful and calm district. A simple breakfast on the morning to be in shape during the whole day. A nice hostel to stay in order to visit the city. Yet the staff wasn't so friendly especially for the security, but it wasn't a big deal.

• 4th Sep 2014

Unfriendly staff, surly and unhelpful. I tried to cancel the rest of my stay as my plans changed and despite doing so more than 24 hours before a couple of the nights, was informed I could only get 80% of the money I had paid back - this was not noted anywhere on the website or at time of booking. Try somewhere else, I've visited a LOT of hostels and this had one of the least friendly atmospheres to date

The location of this hostel is probably the only thing it has going for it. Rooms are overcrowded and stuffy, showers are cold and very much lacking in privacy, sheets were stained and staff weren't friendly. We promptly moved to another hostel. Would not recommend.

Cranky staff are contagious: I showed up excited to stay here. It went away when the folks behind the desk were absently talking at me, had no records of available lockers, and informed me I had to run upstairs and down and pay for a locker per day, re-booking each morning because my access stopped working multiple times. Room smelled worse each day (not the roomies) and My bed was 1 foot from the ceiling.

• 27th Aug 2014

Hi there, thanks for your feedback. We are sorry to hear you have been disappointing with your room. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. We will pass you feedback about the staff onto the Hostel Manager so they can add this to our ongoing staff training!

Not a very welcoming place. Staff wasn't very enthusiastic or willing to answer questions etc... Wouldn't stay here unless you enjoy a prison/summer camp experience. No wifi in rooms

Hi. Thank you for your feedback. It's unfortunate you didn't enjoy your stay. We have just upgraded our wi-fi so it is available in the rooms for just £1 for 1 day OR it is available FREE in the common rooms.

I felt that the value for money was not fantastic and the staff were not as friendly and helpful as they could have been. The hostel is also in an older building that is not in the best state of repair. There is no elevator so lugging backs up four flights of stairs after an 18 hour flight was less than ideal.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to leave some feedback on your stay. Our hostel is based in a listed building and therefore we cannot modify the interior in a way to include an elevator.

Many fees to keep the bags, ugly bedrooms and toilets. They seemed a little dirty.

• 23rd Aug 2014

Thank you for your review. Our aim is to provide clean, low-cost, budget accommodation in Central London for our valued Guests. Our luggage storage rates are a very low £2/bag (from check-out until midnight). When you compare this to the price you would pay at train stations and airports (which start at £6/bag for 3 hours), we believe this is an affordable option for our Smart Backpackers!

+ Well organized + Good value - Beds are too hard and short - The so called 'breakfast' was a joke - Have to pay extra to pay with credit card

• 22nd Aug 2014
  • Sweden

Hello. Many thanks for staying with us and for providing your valuable feedback. As per our terms and conditions we have a 3% surcharge for credit card transactions. However you are more then welcome to pay with cash! We are continuously seeking ways of improving our service's quality, so thank you for your feedback about our breakfast!

Great hostel in a great location. Our nine bed room had 3 triple bunk beds which were fun. If you are over 6' tall the bed can get a little cramped though. They have a nice large kitchen that is very spacious. Breakfast in the morning could be a little better as it is only cereal and white bread for toasting. We would definitely return here.

Hi there, thanks for staying with us and taking the time to provide valuable feedback. We hope we will see you again!

it was very nice

• 19th Aug 2014
  • Argentina

Hello. Many thanks for staying with us and for providing your valuable feedback. We hope we will see you again!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7