Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

Friendly staff, clean beds and management is clearly trying to upgrade. The price is still attractive if you want a central, posh area. But they squeeze so many people into the building that it's stressful and unpleasant. I spent 5 nights in a basement 15-bed dorm with no natural light, little space to move, and stacked 3-level bunks -- like a submarine. The common area is like a loud metro at rush hour. I couldn't wait to leave. Better to pay more for better atmosphere and wider space.

very clean and friendly staffs and would like to stay again. if there are more plugs in the room it would be perfect!

혼성10인묵었는데 침대는 진짜 좁긴해요 그래도 커튼이 쳐져 있어서 프라이버시 보장되구 1층키친자유롭게이용할수있어요 콘센트가 침대옆에 따로없어서 불편했구 화장실은 좁지만 깨끗했어요

• 10th Nov 2014
  • South Korea

Since my last stay - I commented on the shower curtains needing attention. I was pleasantly suprised to see that they hd all been replaced and looked 100% better. as before the staff at check-in were very pleasant and everything was Good.

There were no free beds in the room I was given, so the lady at reception came up to the room and took someone's things and told me to take that bed. Of course this man still had a key and came in later at night yelling at me. It was scary and not something I should have had to deal with! no lockers

This place is a ripp off when I went down to reception to book another night they charged me an extra 10 pounds because I didn't book it online. The rooms are tiny no room for bags, no pillow case or quilt cover and you can't sleep I it's too noisy. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone

Your average large hostel. They are still in the middle of renovations so it's the luck of the draw whether you get an updated nice room or in my case an old crappy room, where there was no water in the taps and one of the shared bathrooms is out of order, meaning there is only access to one tiny sink for a tonne of people. Toilets were two floors down and showers 5 floors down. Beds are too short for tall people and I don't like how you have to even pay for lockers in your own room.

Too many thieving Romanian gypsies.

• 5th Nov 2014

crammed in like caged chickens. Toilet are extremely small

you have to pay for EVERY single service (wifi, locker, luggage room...), it's ridiculous. Breakfast is cheap. The hostel doesn't do anything against the noise/room parties during the night.

• 5th Nov 2014

Debilitating place

ok, if you just want a place to sleep while you spend some days in London, it's a good choice, but there are some characteristics... you have to "travel" if you want to take a shower, there is wifi only in the common room and the wall of your room are made in paper... but atmosphere is good and you can find some interesting people there :)

Security was reasonable although night watch guy was rude. Place is old, run down and in need of major repair. Showers are all the way down in the basement and there are only toilets on two floors out of 4. Bed was fine although we didn't get a pillow case. Breakfast was average. Corn flakes toast and jam only. It was an ok place to stay but not for the price although London seems to be the most expensive in Europe. Not sure if there would be any better value any where else

The room could use a wardrobe, a shelf and at least three hangers. The bunk bed was pretty shabby and the room was quite damp. Compliments to the staff they were very helpful..

• 27th Oct 2014
  • Slovenia

The best thing with this hostel is its central location. But there are not enough showers and toilets, which is a big problem.

The location is great, and the bunk beds have thick curtains around them so you can have more privacy while sleeping. Also, the beds all have plugs so you can charge your phone while you're sleeping.

I arrived rather late at night, and there was a security guard outside the hostel, which made me feel rather safe staying in this hostel. However, there isn't a lot of space in the room, as it is packed with 6 tri-bunk beds, if you have a lot of luggages, you'd find yourselves unpacking your stuff outside the room in the corridor. The bed is also quite ting for tall people. The lockers in the shower are missing keys and the light in the shower room turns of every 15 seconds.

The hostel was overall what you would expect from a hostel. The staff, however, were extremely rude, aggressive, and uncooperative. What really made me mad was that the hostel was listed at 20 pounds/night on hostelworld but the woman checking us in made us pay 35 pounds PLUS the 10 pound deposit (returned at the end of the trip). She of course did not provide us with a receipt, and refused to talk to us about it when I approached her afterwards. The hostel is adequate but I feel swindled.

• 24th Oct 2014

Horrible facilities. Showers are in the cellar. Half of toilets didnt work. Beds are tiny and matresses are made of plastic. Securty locks need to be rented. Towels to be bought gor 5£. Walls are made out of paper so one hears a needle drop outside in the hallway. I travelled around the world and this hostel was one of the worst experiences.

Good value for money and good location near British Museum. Staff was friendly. the place is safe. Toilets were clean and showers were decent. Needs a bit or refurbishing. The beds were comfortable. My bed was quite squeaky but it was ok and I slept well. At beginning many hosts were noisy after 11pm where it was difficult to sleep. But I talked to the manager about it and things got better. Fridge was too full to put food in. I had internet in my room free. Beds fit no more than 1.8 m 10.9 in

• 22nd Oct 2014