Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

The location of the hostel and the price is the only thing that I would recommend. Because it was very dirty, the dorm was placed in the basement and the smell alone was horrible. There was no way of opening a window, and it was just dirty and really smelly. The toilets and the bathrooms was also very dirty, and I would´t recomment it to anyone. Sorry

• 15th Dec 2014
  • Denmark

The hostel would benefit from some extra toilets. I was at the basement and the closest toilet was on the ground floor at the very far end. Not very helpful when you wake up at night.

Staff was friendly and helpful, and good location just around the corner from the Russell Square Tube Station. Breakfast is basic, just corn flakes, white bread, jam, tea. I did not see any coffee. Strange. The 6-bed dorm room is basic, tiny and narrow, bunks stacked three high. A big surprise was having to pay 1.5 pounds to ‘rent’ a locker: first time I have had to pay to rent a locker in a hostel while traveling three years around the world.

It's a great find for me the beds are comfy and the duvets are warm. The only thing is, it is so hot that I cant sleep very well at all.

• 10th Dec 2014

Don't forget to activate your locker using your key card before making the trek up to your room, staff might forget to tell you. Atmosphere is a bit grey/dull compared to the more cheerful nearby Clink or Generator. Could easily repaint and add furniture for a comfy feel. 6 bed dorms were clean, power outlets and privacy screens in each bunk. The English don't seem to value hand washing so don't expect any handsoap in the toilets.

Nice hostel. Free wi-fi only in common room. Towel costs 5 gbp.

I really like Smart Russel Square, easy to find and good transport opportunities! Hostel is clean and the staff has been friendly on my both times of stay. My room has always been clean and warm. 24 hour reception is a huge good side for traveller like me.

Clean, friendly staff. Kitchen facilities could do with an update. Location excellent for price.

• 26th Nov 2014

I was booked into the hostel for 2 nights. On the first night at 0130 2 men burst into my room---a single room when I was sound asleep, saying they wanted to check if the shower was leaking. I was shocked and terrified. They left after a few minutes, however they were running up and downstairs for 1/2hr, and each time was afraid they would rush into my room again. I was so distressed by this unexpected and traumatic incident that I checked out next day and will not make future bookings.

• 25th Nov 2014

Excellent location. Hotel is cheap due to not many facilities. We slept there in the end of November 2014, there were big works of refurbishment in progress. Hostel didn't mention that at all ay the reception or the website. 8am be woken up with drills is not nice. Had much better sleeping in others.

great location and therefore good price for staying in a great area. The room for 18 was really small but it was good enough for a weekend to save money.

I slept in a 8 dorm female Hostel. People and space was ok. cleaning lady did not clean the bathroom ensuite one day. I didn't like that they charge for everything (locker 1,50/day; luggage storage 2 Pound, weight luggage 1 pound). breakfast is just toast, marmelade, white cornflakes, and tea/instant coffee. But all in all, for a weekend over this hostel is totally fine, especially because his central location. you can walk to soho, covent garden, piccadilly

Decent hotel though I would point out that I was in a 6 person ensuite room and at 5" 2' I felt very crammed in the beds and if I was laying I only had maybe 6-8 inches to spare so if you're tall you may want to reconsider.

Hi there, thank you for your feedback! Our bunks were chosen to suit guests up to 5ft10 which is taller than the average; however we are currently looking extending this for the comfort of our guests! We hope to see you again!

Very happy with my stay everything was perfect:)

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to share your Smart Backpackers experience after your recent stay. We hope to see you again!

Considering so many people are staying, it's not that dirty- but it could be cleaner. The staff is okay. However, the wifi didn't work for days, and if you want any degree of security at all, there's an additional charge. The breakfasts are quite simple as well, just toast with jam or cereal to choose from.

Hi there, thank you for your feedback! We are glad you found our hostel hygienic and clean! The internet is free in communal areas (kitchen, dining area, TV room and reception). However if you would like high speed internet in your room, it will cost £1 for 24 hours! We take the safety, wellbeing and comfort of all valued guest very seriously. In addition to our 24 hours reception, we also have 24 hour CCTV and night security every night. We hope to see you again!

Friendly staff, clean beds and management is clearly trying to upgrade. The price is still attractive if you want a central, posh area. But they squeeze so many people into the building that it's stressful and unpleasant. I spent 5 nights in a basement 15-bed dorm with no natural light, little space to move, and stacked 3-level bunks -- like a submarine. The common area is like a loud metro at rush hour. I couldn't wait to leave. Better to pay more for better atmosphere and wider space.

Hi there, thank you for your feedback! We are currently investing alot of money to improve the facilities in our hostel so very soon a majority of our rooms will be upgraded to include ensuite facilities. We are glad you found your experience good value for money. We have different types of dormitories to suit different types of travellers depending on their budget. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. Thank you for staying with Smart Backpackers.

very clean and friendly staffs and would like to stay again. if there are more plugs in the room it would be perfect!

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. We are very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for your compliments about our friendly and helpful staff and we are pleased to hear you found the hostel very clean! We are currently in the process of upgrading our dorms; soon all beds will be fitted with personal power sockets! We hope to see you again!

혼성10인묵었는데 침대는 진짜 좁긴해요 그래도 커튼이 쳐져 있어서 프라이버시 보장되구 1층키친자유롭게이용할수있어요 콘센트가 침대옆에 따로없어서 불편했구 화장실은 좁지만 깨끗했어요

Hi there, thank you for your feedback! We are glad to hear you had a clean and comfortable stay. We are currently investing alot of money to improve the facilities in our hostel so very soon a majority of our rooms will be upgraded to include ensuite facilities. All of our beds are fitted with privacy curtains to ensure extra comfort for our guests! We hope to see you again!

Since my last stay - I commented on the shower curtains needing attention. I was pleasantly suprised to see that they hd all been replaced and looked 100% better. as before the staff at check-in were very pleasant and everything was Good.

Hello, thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback. We always try to implement any improvements suggested in reviews into our hostels. We are so glad you saw the positive enhancement to our shower curtains! We are pleased you enjoyed the pleasant and friendly manner of our staff and we hope to see you again!

There were no free beds in the room I was given, so the lady at reception came up to the room and took someone's things and told me to take that bed. Of course this man still had a key and came in later at night yelling at me. It was scary and not something I should have had to deal with! no lockers

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. We are sorry about the confusion in your bed situation. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. We do have lockers in all of our dormitories available for guests use for a small fee. Thank you for staying with us.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7