Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

The 8 female dorm I was in was fine and I actually enjoyed my stay all the girls were really nice and friendly the toilet was small but it was very clean but the small toilet didn't bother me? Breakfast was just ordinary but it was still good and the beds are pretty comfy too, I really enjoyed my stay and will definitely be coming back to stay next month

• 25th Jul 2015
  • Scotland

The bed didn't provide curtain as picture show on the website. Electric plug should provide every bed, it is very inconvenience for the backpacker who want to recharge their electric devices for next day.

• 24th Jul 2015
  • Malaysia

Corridors are very noisy, and the sound isolation is insufficient. The security staff enforces the silence after 11pm, but nobody does that the days he is not there.

• 22nd Jul 2015

Overall a great hostel, it was my first ever and didn't really have much in regards to expectations, but it's right next to a park/square and the underground system, so you're never far away from the destination of your choosing.

You can't pay with card at the reception and th breakfast was really bad, but free. A bit of a wait for th check in. Alright night sleep and ok quite in the big dorm. Could be cheaper

• 21st Jul 2015
  • Denmark

Ok...so I have never stayed in a hostel before so had no idea what to expect, but did read reviews prior to my stay. I thought overall, the hostel was good value for money. I was on a top bunk, which was very stuffy due to the summer weather, so some fans to circulate the air would be a HUGE improvement...also with being on the top bunk, access to a charging socket was not convenient...but as I see from previous reviews, it IS something you are going to address.

• 20th Jul 2015

The rooms were badly ventilated. Particularly in Summer, it gets very suffocating with the curtains closed over beds when other room members have the light on. The washrooms were very tiny, thin walled and had to be squeezed into. Very possible for everyone outside to hear whats going on inside. The water control in showers could have been user friendly with hot and cold water control.

• 18th Jul 2015
  • India

Great hostel in a very central location. We stayed in a private twin with ensuite which included a toilet/shower. The room was pretty spacious compared to other hostels and was clean and tidy. The walls are quite thin so it could get a little noisy but there are security around to tell people to quieten down if it gets too bad. You also get free breakfast. We would definitely stay here again.

• 17th Jul 2015
  • New Zealand

I would only stop here for a night!! The showers are awful and the staff are awful too.

Not a bad stay. Very disappointing to only have one PowerPoint in a twelve+ person share room. Even though I was already aware of this from reading prior reviews it still made things difficult to be prepared for onward travel. The larger rooms are very cosy and there isn't a lot of spare space. However the use of curtains on the beds was effective in giving everyone their own space. Nice location. Very close to the tube station and a nice enough atmosphere in the surrounding area.

I enjoyed my stay in the hostel. The only negative point was was the heat in the bedroom for 20 people. A fan at least would be an excellent idea of improvement.

• 16th Jul 2015

I was assigned a room in the basement I walked down the steps & the woodwork was being glossed so smelt horrendous I struggled to find my room because the door was being glossed & number had been removed (maybe this should be done when guests aren't around or do it on stages & don't use that floor) & he just let me in so if I would have been dishonest I could of been a thief he let in. Cleaners rude In early & made a lot of noise despite sleeping guests. Wanted a shower when I arrived & was told

• 16th Jul 2015

I think the relation location versus money is very good, however at the expense of comfort. The shared rooms are super tight and I think some additional ventilation would be good. Showers space is fine, but a bit smelly (moist), and basically you have to shower with one hand pushing the bottom all the time, additionally water is almost cold.

This hostel is common for those that are studying and those who are on working visa's. The beds are a bit small because they have boards on either end and they are commonly 3 bunks high so if your tall then you may have an issue

• 12th Jul 2015

Good hostel, location was great. Easy to walk to museum and everywhere else if you're fit. Showers strangely have too much pressure and no space to put clothes. Motion sensing light in shower turns off every minute. Free breakfast consists of cornflakes, muesli and/or toast.

Money hungry. No power outlets no fans 10am checkout. Pay lockers pay computer rude house keeper s rude desk staff. bad exchange rates

Hello, Thank you for the review. As the laws in the UK are strict on hostels, we are not allowed to put so many power outlets in the rooms. Also because our prices are so low, we are forced to charge for locker use, but rest assured we are working to fix this issue as soon as possible. Our staff are very highly trained, we will investigate this thoroughly and make sure the right action is taken.

Bed too small (I´m 1,92m). Staff didn´t helped with simple questions. 5 pounds by adaptor that you find half price at the street. Could be a place to stand the towels on the room. The doors closed so strong that the hole hostel shake, as the walls where of wood or drywall. Good points is the location, clealiness and price. Piccadily line is the same as Heatrow.

• 10th Jul 2015

Have to pay extra to use a locker in your room for 24 hours. There was one locker per bed in my room anyway, so it's not like they charge because there's limited availability.

• 9th Jul 2015

I really enjoyed my stay at SmartRussell square, the staff was very nice and so were the rooms. The only two things were that the showers werent very nice or clean and that some rooms dont have enough plugs for everyone to charge their phone.

There's no space to put my luggage bags. In the middle of my stay, was moved to a different room very far away and I had to pack all my stuff. The other room had a construction site less than 1 metre away from the window and the workers OPENED the room to paint it. Because of this, there was no privacy at all and security feels compromised.

• 8th Jul 2015