Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

This hostel is really basic. In most other European cities you would get so much more for that price, but maybe not in London. The idea with the curtains on the bunk beds is quite good, but I found the actual beds much too short for an average male person (I'm 1.82 metres). Breakfast is very basic, but at least it's free. I was disappointed by the WiFi, I really don't think you should claim that you offer 'free' WiFi when you actually have to 'like' the company first on Facebook.

• 29th Jan 2015

A great place to stay if you don't mind a sleepless night. The hostel is super noisy in general. it is located on a busy street with a lot of hotels and night taxi movement. Inside the hotel, the doors make a lot of noise when closing and the staircases are not carpeted so you can hear every step and sound of luggage as there is no lift. The facilities are very poor in general and the breakfast only consisted of toast and cereal. Staff was helpful and great location but thats all to say to it.

The hostel is well located and relatively nexpensive, but run down. Some of the staff were friendly and helpfull, others seemed disinterested. Lack of plugins caused my phone to be close to being out of battery for my entire stay. Wifi connection was horrible. Advertised as having cooking facilities, but they are very poor. By far the messiest hostel room I have ever stayed in. The shower area in basement is smelly (mold?) and grotty.

Good hostel, great location - just note that beds are really short. I stayed in 9 bed room and beds were 180cm (approximately) .

• 21st Jan 2015
  • Slovakia

there was no bed available for me in my dorm as someone had been over-staying in the hostel without paying and it took over 30 minutes for the staff to figure it out and get him out. which is creepy that security needs to improve bc i was in the room with someone who was very odd and creepy. i did get a free upgrade to a different room but some backpackers had big attitudes, there were many long term guests, great location, mediocre breakfast, friendly staff, cleanliness should improve.

Good hostel, clean, in a perfect location. Very helpful staff.

Upside: Good Russell Sq location, liked the privacy nets around beds. Dislike: My bed had no personal power outlet or light meaning that I had to go to the (super crowded) common room to charge my phone. The beds at the top had no privacy curtain upwards meaning that if someone turned on the lights, they would wake up. Having one big room with showers is a good idea, but the showers were disgusting and why can't you just have a normal tap instead of one button where you can't control temperature

Since my last visit in July, a third floor was added. I stayed in a 8 bed female dormwhich also had a tiny tiny bathroom, with toilet, shower and sink. I appreciated it as the showers are in the basement. The room was very clean also, being new. My blanket didn't seem very clean but the sheets were spotless.

Hello and thank you for choosing to stay with us again. We have different types of dormitories to suit different types of travellers depending on their budget. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accomodation in Central London. Our bed linen is professionaly laundered, so just ask reception if there's a problem and they will happily swap it for you! We hope we will see you again soon!

Nothing special... Very much like a machiene. The room I stayed in a room that had six beds and should of only had four. Bathrooms were down stairs and inconvenient. The staff just seemed overworked and not concerned about any guest services. I checked out after the first night at 10:30am and they still charged me for the second night.

• 15th Jan 2015

I'm 195 and there was only I problem: beds are about 180cm. Besides that there was everything you need: hot water, simpliest, tasty breakfast and comfy bed (if you're not that tall)

• 14th Jan 2015
  • Poland

The hostel was great - great value, great facilities on offer, great service. The only negatives I found were: lack of free security options (most of the people staying at the hostel are students, or travellers and have large bags), more seating for breakfast, more electricty points, and more mirrors/sinks in the bathroom. It was great for the money though! Highly recommend.

• 11th Jan 2015

Not a fan of the windows always open and heating on max. Gave me sore throat and traffic was pretty loud. WiFi was spotty in my room. Overall very nice staff, nice living room.

• 10th Jan 2015

Location can't be beat - 2 min to British Museum, 5 minutes walk to Euston/St Pancras/Kings X, 10 min to Oxford street. Very good value for money in central London. Good standard of cleanliness. Generally quiet clientele, hence a good night's sleep - beds have curtains for privacy,, which is great.

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Now you can check our lastest news, offers and photos on Facebook. We hope we will see you again!

Cheap, close to all the important landmarks and clean. What more could you want?

We had problems with our beds in the first day. We got out of the hostel and when we got back at the end of the day, everything was messy, our courtins opened. The hostel gave free locker. The ambient is awful, my boyfriend had problem with the 10 pound that he gave on the first day to guarantee the sheets will be returned cause he was lefting one day before (and he paid for 3 days and left on the 2nd). I not recommend the hostel at all. Just the location, that is very good.

Good location for the british museum.

The rooms were smelly due to the people. Almost none of the outlets work, and the very few are continuously taken up by people. Breakfast was terrible.

• 7th Jan 2015
  • Taiwan

Really good place to stay.Great area nice facilities very good staff.

If anything, the heating was set too high in the bedroom (208 on Jan 3rd), and I don't recall there been any way to control the temperature (thermostat or tap); The temperature was better by morning though. Other improvements: A couple more hooks in the individual showers (between 1st and 2nd floor), and on the beds (possibly even inside the sleeping area would be nice) In 210 (IIRC) several of the coat hooks on the beds were broken.

• 3rd Jan 2015

The staff were by and large rude. The location is great but it seems that there is an extra charge or deposit for things that hostels would not normally charge you for. As far as I could tell there were no free places to store your possessions which is something greatly needed.

• 3rd Jan 2015