Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

The lockers in the room didn't function at all and this was not fixed during my 3-day stay. The rooms were incredibly small. Very uncomfortable, almost impossible to move about in when more than 2 people were in my 6-person "room." I'm surprised it isn't some kind of a fire hazard. The "en suite" bathrooms were also tiny, windowless, plastic 'units' more than anything.

• 15th Feb 2015

Pros: * Decent kitchen setup, plenty of fridge space. * Beds (in the 4x dorm anyway) are private with their own curtains. Pretty solid. * Great area! ~5mins from tube and a Tesco. * Clean bathrooms. * Nice staff. Cons: * The beds aren't suitable for a tall person (I touched head and heel when on my back). I'm 6'3"/1.91m * Bit noisy in AM due to remodel. * Window didn't open very much, which made the room very hot (radiator was off). Small beds are what make it so I wouldn't return.

• 13th Feb 2015
  • ryanbruce

is really bad hostel!

good location, its like a big factory, no wifi in the room, all people use wifi in the lobby, signal too slow that I cannot talk on Skype, free breakfast is ok but service finished too early at 9:30am, using locker need to pay extra k

Hello and many thanks for staying with us and for providing your valuable feedback. Our hostel is conveninently located in Central London. We continue our endaevour to provide clean, safe, low-cost, budget accomodation. The internet is free in communal areas (Kitchen, dining area, TV room and reception). However, if you would like high speed internet in your room, it will cost £1 for 24 hours. We offer an all-you-can-eat basic breakfast it includes fresh toast, cereal, teas and coffees.

Another stay at the hostel for a quick social trip and yet again everything was spot on. I notice that some more work is being undertaken in the lounge area to make the seating area larger - which is good. Staff were always visibible cleaning and ensuring everywhere was kept to a high standard and as always Reception staff were very welcoming. Thanks Guys

Hello and thank you for choosing to stay with Smart Backpackers. You are welcome back anytime!

Stayed in a 2 bed private room and it was really (really) small. The hostel is a bit noisy. Everything else was just ok. Great location.

thanks for a good atmosphere and a nice Staff.

• 3rd Feb 2015
  • Switzerland

Hi and thank you for rating the hostel so high. Please like our Fcebook page, to receive the latest news, offer and photos. We hope to see you again soon!

Russell Square is a bit farther off the main drag than you might initially think, although they are conveniently close to the Russell Square Tube station. No curfew meant we had several drunk people wake everyone in our room up at 2:30am, but what can you do. "Free breakfast" meant cheap white bread with butter, and/or a bowl of corn flakes. Linens smelled clean, but were stained. Staff members were also slightly rude and distracted whilst we checked in. Not unexpected for a busy hostel though.

• 31st Jan 2015

it is cheap ... but it offer also a cheap solution very very cheap breakfast very very cheap arrangements in the 15-bed rooms

• 31st Jan 2015

Excellent location, competitive prices. Everything else leaves a whole lot to desire.

I was in a female room with bath room and I have to say it has been the first time I have a shower in a hostel, clean and confortable. In geneal it a Clean place, quite silent despite It was a lot of people downstair listening music and chatting in the sitting room. Good people around and close to the tube

This hostel is really basic. In most other European cities you would get so much more for that price, but maybe not in London. The idea with the curtains on the bunk beds is quite good, but I found the actual beds much too short for an average male person (I'm 1.82 metres). Breakfast is very basic, but at least it's free. I was disappointed by the WiFi, I really don't think you should claim that you offer 'free' WiFi when you actually have to 'like' the company first on Facebook.

• 29th Jan 2015

A great place to stay if you don't mind a sleepless night. The hostel is super noisy in general. it is located on a busy street with a lot of hotels and night taxi movement. Inside the hotel, the doors make a lot of noise when closing and the staircases are not carpeted so you can hear every step and sound of luggage as there is no lift. The facilities are very poor in general and the breakfast only consisted of toast and cereal. Staff was helpful and great location but thats all to say to it.

Very poor quality of the rooms as well as the bathrooms. Water too hot or too cold depending on time you go shower.

The hostel is well located and relatively nexpensive, but run down. Some of the staff were friendly and helpfull, others seemed disinterested. Lack of plugins caused my phone to be close to being out of battery for my entire stay. Wifi connection was horrible. Advertised as having cooking facilities, but they are very poor. By far the messiest hostel room I have ever stayed in. The shower area in basement is smelly (mold?) and grotty.

The location and atmosphere was great - it was right near downtown! The beds had curtains which helped to keep your space separate and comfortable. The only issues were the rooms without ensuites had the bathrooms an entire floor downstairs, and even with the window cracked the rooms were SO HOT. I couldn't sleep, even in the middle of winter! The staff said the were fixing it but it didn't improve over the 2 nights I was there.

Good hostel, great location - just note that beds are really short. I stayed in 9 bed room and beds were 180cm (approximately) .

• 21st Jan 2015
  • Slovakia

there was no bed available for me in my dorm as someone had been over-staying in the hostel without paying and it took over 30 minutes for the staff to figure it out and get him out. which is creepy that security needs to improve bc i was in the room with someone who was very odd and creepy. i did get a free upgrade to a different room but some backpackers had big attitudes, there were many long term guests, great location, mediocre breakfast, friendly staff, cleanliness should improve.

Fantastic for a cheap stay in London. You have a lot of privacy in the rooms as each bed has its own curtains however my only critique would be the location of the showers. They are all downstairs in the basement and the shower doesn't operate unless you consistently press the button. But for the price you can't really complain that much.

very nice hostel staff friendly and helpful tks to khalid thafer ahmed there are all time nice and professional

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7