Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

Friendly staff, clean beds and management is clearly trying to upgrade. The price is still attractive if you want a central, posh area. But they squeeze so many people into the building that it's stressful and unpleasant. I spent 5 nights in a basement 15-bed dorm with no natural light, little space to move, and stacked 3-level bunks -- like a submarine. The common area is like a loud metro at rush hour. I couldn't wait to leave. Better to pay more for better atmosphere and wider space.

Hi there, thank you for your feedback! We are currently investing alot of money to improve the facilities in our hostel so very soon a majority of our rooms will be upgraded to include ensuite facilities. We are glad you found your experience good value for money. We have different types of dormitories to suit different types of travellers depending on their budget. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. Thank you for staying with Smart Backpackers.

very clean and friendly staffs and would like to stay again. if there are more plugs in the room it would be perfect!

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. We are very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for your compliments about our friendly and helpful staff and we are pleased to hear you found the hostel very clean! We are currently in the process of upgrading our dorms; soon all beds will be fitted with personal power sockets! We hope to see you again!

혼성10인묵었는데 침대는 진짜 좁긴해요 그래도 커튼이 쳐져 있어서 프라이버시 보장되구 1층키친자유롭게이용할수있어요 콘센트가 침대옆에 따로없어서 불편했구 화장실은 좁지만 깨끗했어요

• 10th Nov 2014
  • South Korea

Hi there, thank you for your feedback! We are glad to hear you had a clean and comfortable stay. We are currently investing alot of money to improve the facilities in our hostel so very soon a majority of our rooms will be upgraded to include ensuite facilities. All of our beds are fitted with privacy curtains to ensure extra comfort for our guests! We hope to see you again!

Since my last stay - I commented on the shower curtains needing attention. I was pleasantly suprised to see that they hd all been replaced and looked 100% better. as before the staff at check-in were very pleasant and everything was Good.

Hello, thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback. We always try to implement any improvements suggested in reviews into our hostels. We are so glad you saw the positive enhancement to our shower curtains! We are pleased you enjoyed the pleasant and friendly manner of our staff and we hope to see you again!

There were no free beds in the room I was given, so the lady at reception came up to the room and took someone's things and told me to take that bed. Of course this man still had a key and came in later at night yelling at me. It was scary and not something I should have had to deal with! no lockers

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. We are sorry about the confusion in your bed situation. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. We do have lockers in all of our dormitories available for guests use for a small fee. Thank you for staying with us.

This place is a ripp off when I went down to reception to book another night they charged me an extra 10 pounds because I didn't book it online. The rooms are tiny no room for bags, no pillow case or quilt cover and you can't sleep I it's too noisy. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone

Hi there, we are sorry you are unhappy with the price your paid for your additional night. We never stop our guests from looking online before making a booking. Upon check in each guest is provided with a clean pillow case and fresh bed linen. Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback.

Your average large hostel. They are still in the middle of renovations so it's the luck of the draw whether you get an updated nice room or in my case an old crappy room, where there was no water in the taps and one of the shared bathrooms is out of order, meaning there is only access to one tiny sink for a tonne of people. Toilets were two floors down and showers 5 floors down. Beds are too short for tall people and I don't like how you have to even pay for lockers in your own room.

Hello, many thanks for staying with us and for providing your valuable feedback. Some of the things you've mentioned are being resolved right now. The hostel is undergoing a refurbishment and the rooms will all have en-suite bathrooms. In the meantime, we have a large gender split shower room in our basement to ensure our guests don't have to wait for a shower. We aim to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London which is why we do not include lockers in the price.

Too many thieving Romanian gypsies.

• 5th Nov 2014

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. Incidents of theft don't happen very often. To prevent this, we offer guests the choice to use a locker under their bed for added security and allow guests to leave and charge their electronics behind reception. We also have CCTV installed into the hostels and night security for extra security. Thank you for staying with us.

crammed in like caged chickens. Toilet are extremely small

Hello, thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback. We have invested alot of money into our hostels to ensure we provide our valued guests with fresh, clean and hygienic rooms. We have different size dormitories to suit different types of travellers depending on their budget. Our main goal is to provide clean, inexpensive accommodation in Central London. We hope to see you again!

you have to pay for EVERY single service (wifi, locker, luggage room...), it's ridiculous. Breakfast is cheap. The hostel doesn't do anything against the noise/room parties during the night.

• 5th Nov 2014

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. Our main priority is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. To minimalize the cost of booking, our prices don't include extra supplements like lockers and Wi-Fi (which is free in common areas) as some guest will not choose to use these and therefore should not pay for them! Breakfast is included in the price and we have set hours in which noise restrictions must be adhered to! Thank you for staying with us.

Debilitating place

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. Our main goal is to provide clean, inexpensive accommodation in Central London. We hope you enjoyed your time in London and made use of our convenient transport links by our central location to get around! Thank you for staying with Smart Backpackers.

ok, if you just want a place to sleep while you spend some days in London, it's a good choice, but there are some characteristics... you have to "travel" if you want to take a shower, there is wifi only in the common room and the wall of your room are made in paper... but atmosphere is good and you can find some interesting people there :)

Security was reasonable although night watch guy was rude. Place is old, run down and in need of major repair. Showers are all the way down in the basement and there are only toilets on two floors out of 4. Bed was fine although we didn't get a pillow case. Breakfast was average. Corn flakes toast and jam only. It was an ok place to stay but not for the price although London seems to be the most expensive in Europe. Not sure if there would be any better value any where else

The room could use a wardrobe, a shelf and at least three hangers. The bunk bed was pretty shabby and the room was quite damp. Compliments to the staff they were very helpful..

• 27th Oct 2014
  • Slovenia

The best thing with this hostel is its central location. But there are not enough showers and toilets, which is a big problem.

The location is great, and the bunk beds have thick curtains around them so you can have more privacy while sleeping. Also, the beds all have plugs so you can charge your phone while you're sleeping.

I arrived rather late at night, and there was a security guard outside the hostel, which made me feel rather safe staying in this hostel. However, there isn't a lot of space in the room, as it is packed with 6 tri-bunk beds, if you have a lot of luggages, you'd find yourselves unpacking your stuff outside the room in the corridor. The bed is also quite ting for tall people. The lockers in the shower are missing keys and the light in the shower room turns of every 15 seconds.

The hostel was overall what you would expect from a hostel. The staff, however, were extremely rude, aggressive, and uncooperative. What really made me mad was that the hostel was listed at 20 pounds/night on hostelworld but the woman checking us in made us pay 35 pounds PLUS the 10 pound deposit (returned at the end of the trip). She of course did not provide us with a receipt, and refused to talk to us about it when I approached her afterwards. The hostel is adequate but I feel swindled.

• 24th Oct 2014

Horrible facilities. Showers are in the cellar. Half of toilets didnt work. Beds are tiny and matresses are made of plastic. Securty locks need to be rented. Towels to be bought gor 5£. Walls are made out of paper so one hears a needle drop outside in the hallway. I travelled around the world and this hostel was one of the worst experiences.

Good value for money and good location near British Museum. Staff was friendly. the place is safe. Toilets were clean and showers were decent. Needs a bit or refurbishing. The beds were comfortable. My bed was quite squeaky but it was ok and I slept well. At beginning many hosts were noisy after 11pm where it was difficult to sleep. But I talked to the manager about it and things got better. Fridge was too full to put food in. I had internet in my room free. Beds fit no more than 1.8 m 10.9 in

• 22nd Oct 2014