Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

I stayed in this hostel for two nights. The location is excellent for visiting all the main attractions in London. The staff was ok, they did their job but didn't seem to be very happy to work there... The "privacy curtains" by the beds were really nice so you could sleep in peace. However, the curtains definitely needed a wash! The hostel is a little bit dirty and run down and needs refurbishing. In the toilets there aren't anything to dry your hands with... That's pretty basic, isn't it?

Good value for the price, excellent location, breakfast OK (it could start a little bit earlier!) Lockers in room are payable!

• 10th Oct 2013
  • Slovenia

Great location right next to the Underground. Very "meh" inside. Cramped quarters. Dingy. Not much light. Everyone seemed very subdued in the common areas.

• 9th Oct 2013

Thank you for your review. We are doing our best to create a really good atmosphere and we take all the feedback very seriously. SRS Staff

This is impossible to book the rooms for a continuous time period e.g. one month. The available bookings of the rooms are often distributed. This makes me need to change the rooms once a while. This can be, in fact, solved when letting people to stay in the same room, regardless of the specific rooms (18-bed to 14-bed), as long as these room often have the same price.

Having to pay extra money to store your things in a locker, half of which were broken is just crazy. Staff were mixed, some good, some bad but all lacked any kind of enthusiasm about what they were doing and unable to do any thinking for themselves. Breakfast is nothing to get excited about and a bit like feeding time at the zoo. Zero atmosphere throughout. But good location, comfy beds, clean hostel.

The only showers are in the basement so have to descend 4 flights to get to them, and go through reception. Then they tell me off for walking through reception without a shirt. Pfffft.

It was ok to stay the nigth, although bedrooms were dirty and stank (in the basement). Staff was nice. It may be nice to have a bar in the common room in the evening.

• 4th Oct 2013

This was my second stay here. Cheap, great location. Average in all other respects. Showers are pretty terrible though.

The worst hostel experience. The rooms where absolutely unlivable, and the common area was so dirty. Wifi didn't work properly, just for 10 minutes if you standed at the entrance.

• 30th Sep 2013

Thank you for your review. We have different types of dormitories to suit different types of travellers depending on their budget. We offer a cheap and competitive accommodation at very good location. Our common area is spacious and meets all the travellers' standards. Our housekeeping times are between 06:30 am- 23:00. beside of our hourly check, we rely on guests to report any cleaning issues where we will get it resolved promptly. SRS Team

Location is central but on annoying tube stop, you'll understand what I mean when you reach the elevator. This is hostel is very big and clean and has a good sized kitchen for communal use. Otherwise its not very good. One member of staff was consistently rude to me, I think he was management. The showers are in the basement and my bed was three bunks high. Stay here if everywhere else is booked out as it is safe and clean.

Thank you for your review. We are really sorry that you got the wrong impression that one of our staff members was unpleasant. We give our 100% to make every guests stay great but we will take your feedback very seriously to improve our services. SRS Staff

Great location, good staff, hostel just set up a bit anti socially. Curtains on beds were good, but again at the same time a bit anti social, especially in such tiny rooms with large numbers.

• 28th Sep 2013
  • New Zealand

IT was horrible... like flies in the room, stink, holes in the corridors. Not worth half the money I payed. Not even a free WI-FI... I also got a sore on my lip from the dirty dishes... I will never come there again...

Thank you for your review. We take guests feedback so seriously to improve our services. Our housekeeping/ cleaning staff start as early as 06:30 and finish at 23:00. We do regular check every one hour during these times to maintain good cleaning quality. However, if any cleaning issues get reported to receptionists by guests, it will be dealt with promptly. SRS Staff

I've been some hostels for out there, and never found anything like this hostel. In the hostel though the price is the lowest in London, should be closed. This is because besides the lack of cleanliness of the spaces, the hostel offers degrading conditions, in addition to the lack of empathy of staff who feel that they are there for duty. The first night there I have provided all the elements and then not be dignified to apologize or even solve the problem. Should be closed, for good to everyone

We are really sorry you didn't enjoy your stay though your comment seems to be biased. Our housekeeping staff start as early as 06:30 and finish at 23:00. We do regular check every one hour during these times to maintain good cleaning quality. However, if any cleaning issues get reported to receptionists by guests, it will be dealt with promptly. SRS Staff

The hostel was under renovation so it looked like a construction site, its pretty big with a good common room and I am sure when the works done it will be a lot better. the dorm we stayed in was so so small you had no where to put your bag at all.

Thank you for your review. We have different types of dormitories to suit different types of travellers depending on their budget. We offer a cheap and competitive accommodation at very good location. SRS Staff

Showers were three floors away. No water to the sink in the room. Everything cost extra.

• 26th Sep 2013

Thank you for your comment. We have put all the bathrooms together in order to save energy and eliminate queues to the showers. We try to offer cheap accommodation for low budget travellers at very good location, the prices we offer do not include lockers charges and towels as most of our customers do not need to use them therefore they do not end up paying for things they do not need. SRS Staff

This place was Bedlam. Lots of construction going on as well as packs of students (30-40 at a time) coming through, so things were chaotic to say the least. Staff were helpful, though, and the cleaning ladies ARE OVERWORKED and likely underpaid. They had their hands full with all the people schlepping through. They need SHELVES and HOOKS throughout as bags strewn all over were a sure fire hazard Also ridiculous to charge for lockers given the volume of people and construction guys with access.

too crowded

i RESERVED, BUT I CALLED TO CLARUFY I COULD NOT STAY BUT YOU CHARGED ME THE COMPLETE AMOUNT NOT EVEN STAYING,THERE I DONT THINK THE WEB SITE IS SECURE AND ALL THE PEOPLE THAT TRUST IN YOU DOESNT KNOW THAT YOU CAN CHARGE WHAT EVER AND WHENEVER YOU WANT AYHE AMOUNT BECAUSE I NEVER AUTORISED YOU TO CHARGE THAT AMOUNT THAT IS A BIG RISK

• 23rd Sep 2013
  • Spain

We have a clear cancellation policy, hostelworld.com is a very secure website that gives the credit card details of no shows to the accommodation providers if necessairly. SRS Team

Located in the heart of London! Lockers in the room didn't work. Everything else really nice. Would definitely come back.

• 21st Sep 2013

Only one shower block which is in the basement & I mean BASEMENT....it was a walk & a half to get all the way down to the showers. Apart from that it was a great place to stay for the price & location - would stay again.

• 16th Sep 2013