Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

The hostel was just okay. I guess if you just need a place to sleep it works. The bunk beds are annoying because they're stacked in threes and shake whenever people get on them. The room also rumbles when people walk to hard pass your room. The showers are in a dungeon (basement) and breakfast is just white bread that can be toasted and cereal.

• 10th Aug 2013

Loving the curtains around the beds, made a for a great night's sleep! Would definitely stay here again

Well, this hostel was clean and safe, albeit I didn't like shower room much. And I expected bit more from breakfest. But location is very good, stuff is friendly and prices are low.

• 9th Aug 2013
  • Estonia

A no-frills hostel, located just behind Russell Square subway station - just 10 minutes or so from Euston station on foot. Recommended for young travelers who really need to travel on a budget. The price is amazing for London, and it even includes breakfast! Older travelers may not like the packed dormitories (6 x 3-stored bunk beds), or the smelly pillows - but clean sheets and a pillow case are provided. The lockers under the beds do not lock though... (maybe just mine though?)

Well, let me tell you the security in this hostel is top notch!! But they can really be a bunch of pricks about it. If I have a two bed private hostel room with my girlfriend and she doesn't carry her Keycard, it's like the world has ended. At first, they wouldn't let her in, only after threats of physical force, we got to go verify with the desk that she was really allowed in. Really? I'll never stay at this hostel again. Never.

Small rooms but clean. Showers in the basement were a little uncomfortable, too many stairs and passages. We think thet Wifi connection only in the common spaces can be improved (even upstairs and in rooms) .Shared bathroom were however always clean. Good breakfast. Staff members always kind and friendly. Excellent position, near underground station, bus stops (even night services). Nice place for a weekend stay with your friends.

• 8th Aug 2013

The staff were very helpful and I really liked how each bed had a privacy curtain! However, the room was very cramped-I would have liked a bit more space.

More quiet than I imagined. Men also slept in the same room,but everyone is quiet when they came back, so I slept very well.

dRoom door's electric lock was not working so the door was open all the time. Showers gave only boiling hot water. WiFi didn't work. One of the taps in the toilets spread water all over the floor. Drink machine didn't work. Not enought sockets for everyone in the dorm (16 beds, 4 sockets). No air conditioning but at least a fan on top of the door. Window could be opened 20cm. No paper, towel or drier in the toilet with what to dry hands. Thin walls, every footstep could be heard from up stairs

Where do i start, Did not enjoy my stay at all. Didn't even know triple level bunk beds existed but apparently they do and I was allocated top level one. Dangerous to climb up, fell and hurt my ankle first night. ClaustrophobIc and hot as no fan and window didn't open properly so couldnt sleep. We complained about this and asked to change rooms but manager was unaccomodating.Toilets dirty and not even on same floor. Showers three floors down in basement and hair dryer facilities broken. Unhappy

• 7th Aug 2013

Awful place. Cold reception; everywhere in the walls there were interdictions ('don't eat/drink/smoke here, don't open the window, you won't be refunded your deposit if...' but never a "welcome"!), poor breakfast, horrible dormitory with 3 levels beds... the worst were the showers: shared showers, you had to remove your clothes in one room and take a shower in another room... besides, the water inside was really too hot. And the doors of the toilets didn't close very well... Avoid this place.

I only actually slept there for 2 nights and got bed bug bites all over my body. They were so itchy and it has been over a week and all the scars are still there. The internet was terrible, all day long. It keep going on and off so I can barely chat with my friends.

• 4th Aug 2013

Good location Cleaners work hard Good staff Triple bunks bit scary, small rooms Wifi not great Good facilities Overall good stay

24 hours reception is brilliant! I didn't like, that you had to walk through the common room to get to the showers.

The 15 person rooms are very small. The bunks are stacked 3 beds high and there is not much extra space in the room. The hostel rooms are also in the basement of the building. There were not enough seats for everyone at breakfast and the outlets were also very sparse. The atmosphere in the hostel was very strange; There were people of all ages staying there (Pensioners, families, tweens, young adults).

Horrible rooms in the basement, it lacks proper ventilation and easy access.

Dont really like the atmosphere, staff were very cold.

• 1st Aug 2013

I hated it. It was very loud early in the morning, the rooms were tiny so there was no space to put anyone's bags and there was no fan or aircon so it got uncomfortably hot. The showers are so far away and smell terrible. I left early

• 31st Jul 2013

Hi Connor, We are sorry for the heat in the rooms but we didn't expect a heatwave to last long in London. About the space, we have lockers in every room so it normally is not an issue to our guests. The showers are far away as the building of our hostel is a Listed Buildling. Hope your next stay with us will be more satisfactory. SRS Staff

room smelled terrible.

• 30th Jul 2013

The rooms are tiny, the staff isn´t helpful and the atmosphere is dull. They charge you for everything you can imagine so be aware.

• 30th Jul 2013
  • Chile

Hi Felipe, All the extra charges are listed in 'Things to note' section at the bottom of our page. We are sorry you had the impression that our staff is not helpful, we are trying our best to make everyone's stay in London unforgettable. Also we are located in a beautiful listed building and we cannot do anything about the sizes of our rooms. All the best SRS Staff