Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

This place had horrible customer service from beginning to end. Our room was located in the basement next to the bathroom which stunk the whole stay. When we arrived they only had one bed available, even though we reserved two. So, they have us some random guys who woke us up in the middle of the night. Very disappointed with my stay here.

Although the location/price were really good for London, this hostel is just so dirty! I've been to several hostels all over the world and I'm not the "paranoid for cleaning" kind of person, but those showers - Jesus Christ! So, see if you think it is worthy!

• 12th Jun 2013

Offering a private twin room as child-like bunk beds was very disappointing. Other guests running around at 2am banging doors and partying.

• Scotland

I would have appreciated being notified in advance that there was a £10 cash deposit when I checked in and that debit cards payments had an additional service fee because it was an inconvenience finding this out upon arrival.

• 12th Jun 2013

Worst hostel I've ever been to. Triple bunks in the dorms, so high they're scary to climb. No plugs anywhere; you must fight for one of the few that exists with the hundreds of other guests, most of which are children on camp. Wifi doesn't work. Showers are awful, pressure so strong you must shower with your eyes closed, and pipes on the ceiling drip as well. Worst are the staff, who are so rude and unhelpful. When I checked out he threw my deposit at me and walked off without even a goodbye.

Cockroaches in the bathroom, not enough bathrooms for everyone, the sinks were so small and you had to keep pushing the button for water- rather annoying when you're trying to wash your face.

the blankets smell like feet. it's really hot in the room even if the window is open all day and all night. the bathroom is far from the rooms. noisy roommates.

• 9th Jun 2013

Triple decker bunks. Bit small beds. The showers

The bed is for midgets. You can't even sit up properly in it. I like the privacy, but that is quite uncomfortable, and I was very unimpressed with the other facilities. I didn't find there was a good atmosphere for meeting people really, either. However, the location is absolutely unbeatable, so it's okay for a few nights if you don't plan to spend much time the hostel. It's a good base to see London from!

The place was ok...very basic..and in need of a bit of a facelift inside..... At busy times the queue at the main desk was very long....and the service was not prompt!!.and the staff spoke broken English which did not help!! I couldnt find room 105....and eventually had to ask one of the cleaning staff,who was very helpful!! As i have said..the room was very basic...in need of a lick of paint..and new curtains on the beds!!.i was also concerned as to when the last time the duvet was cleaned!

• 8th Jun 2013

Rooms were dirty on arrival had to walk four floors to get to the showers, I have stayed in many hostels in my time travelling through USA, Asia, Australia and NZ I found this hostel to be one of the worst I have stayed in!

• 8th Jun 2013

Well, security was good, and location fantastic. The staff at reception was mostly nice, but security and evening staff grumpy. A smile hard to come by. When it comes to atmosphere, cracks it the walls, very very worn IKEA sofas, really bad breakfast with Jam in squeezy bottles on toast. Cleaning of the toilett area, well pee on the seat, and/or floors not uncommon, the pillow was absolutely blackened with sweat from previous customers and the rooms were very warm. facillities a tad unsanitary

• 7th Jun 2013
  • Sweden

Still the best hostel in London. Great hostel for partying and meeting people. Lacks character but its a big hostel with comfortable beds - plenty of showers and very good price s. Stayed in several London hostels and this one comes out tops every times.

the hostel should make leaving the luggages after check out a free service. although the hostel bed rates are cheap, but u need to pay for use of lockers and for leaving luggages after check out. not enough powerpoints in the dorms too. the location of the hostel is really good though. there are no lights for individual beds.

They have only one problem: internet does not work.

• 7th Jun 2013

A nice place as in quality/price ratio. Central position, next to the underground, friendly atmophere, enough comfort for a non-demanding traveller. Nice moment the breakfast in common. Just one critics: beds are a little too short. Then, maybe a less slow internet connection and some borrowable plug adaptors would help...

don't go shower!!! it's terrible

positives- excellent location and extremely affordable negatives- there are a ton of people packed into the hostel so its a bit hectic. It's clean , but conditions are pretty dingy. The staff aren't knowledgeable (had never heard of Stonehenge). Security was an issue on one night as our room door was broken and was accessible to anyone . you pay for what you get- if you're willing to stay in a crappy hostel to save money and stay in a great location stay here. Otherwise look elsewhere

Good hostel, very close to the city centre. Easy to find and with helpfull staff. Tall people might have a problem with short beds. During our stay, it was a bit overcrowded and therefore there was also a problem with wifi connection. However, I can definitelly recommend this hostel for short stay.

Cleaning staff were awful. Really rude and shouting at each other every morning in Russian. Maybe I'm not a morning person but it wasn't the most pleasant of wake ups. The whole hostel is too hot, the showers are awful, really dirty and right down in the basement. If you're a female travelling alone don't go near this hostel. It's full of leery, drunk old men. I felt so unsafe. The only good thing about this hostel is how central it is, but to be honest I'd rather pay more for something nice