Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

Good hostel, very close to the city centre. Easy to find and with helpfull staff. Tall people might have a problem with short beds. During our stay, it was a bit overcrowded and therefore there was also a problem with wifi connection. However, I can definitelly recommend this hostel for short stay.

Cleaning staff were awful. Really rude and shouting at each other every morning in Russian. Maybe I'm not a morning person but it wasn't the most pleasant of wake ups. The whole hostel is too hot, the showers are awful, really dirty and right down in the basement. If you're a female travelling alone don't go near this hostel. It's full of leery, drunk old men. I felt so unsafe. The only good thing about this hostel is how central it is, but to be honest I'd rather pay more for something nice

Nice location near the Metro, but the 4 bed dorm we stayed in was too small. Unlike the rest of the hostels we stayed at, the locker was not included.

It was was cheap and in a great location right next to a central tube station. The staff were helpful and I had a good nights sleep. It is a trek to the shower, down lots of stairs, but that is only a niggle.

• 3rd Jun 2013
  • Scotland

The hostel is centrally located, clean and pretty tidy for the money. However, I spent an absolutely terrible night there after 3 people were allowed into my 4 bed dorm - they had no luggage and had clearly just come in off the street at 4am. Thirty minutes later, the police were hammering on the door as one of them had been reported a missing person. Once the police had left, they were snorting cocaine off the handbasin next to my bed. I realise that the hostel cannot entirely be blamed for t

The receptionist (girl) was obviously unhappy with us checking in and unwilling to try to resolve our reservation issues. Thankfully another guy stepped in and sorted out everything.

• 1st Jun 2013
  • Philippines

The best thing about the place is the location and the fact that there is always a lot of people. But some staff are pretty weird, this security guy who is supposed to be from Norway is always trying to hit on girls and freaking them out Its mad weird and also hates you if you hook up with any girl. First class hatter. The best guy from Staff is ROSHDI, the man for real! The tall italian girl is really friendly as well at the counter. Last time i was there though it was full of kids (12-16) nnnn

• 31st May 2013

London hostels always suck...but this one sucked less than some so I guess that is good? Very good central London location, clean enough bathrooms, beds were fine.

Better cleanliness concerning the toilets should definitely be considered! Also separated toilets would be a better option

• 31st May 2013

Cool place where stay!Very good location, walkable distance to all the main attractions of the city centre. Few steps from the tube station. I recommend it to everybody!

It was my first visit to England. When I checked in I was very disappointed. Rooms are damp and humid. Bunk beds too high and uncomfortable to climb 3 levels. Wash rooms, showers different floors. No washroom in the room. Staff (girls) very uncooperative. Poor breakfast with only bread, jam and milk with cornflakes. Dining room too crowded with no space for breakfast or dinner. Very noisy and disorganized so much so that it is hard to sleep throughout night with the noise till morning.

• 29th May 2013

great location, nice people

This was a nice hostel although a bit pricey for the room. There was a free breakfast that was nice and sheets were free but i had to pay to store my bag for the day. The room was nice but not the most clean, although that may have been partially because it was an old building. Free wifi was also great.

Big scale hostel: Lots of people, only one big common area where everybody meets (sometimes too crowded, but kind of nice). It's very clean. You have to pay for lockers (but, as many others, I didn't and I wasn't stolen!)

We have had a wonderful stay in the Smart Russel Square hostel. The location is amazing, the beds were perfect, a really nice atmosphere and really friendly staff. It has been really fantastic in this hostel and if we will be back in London, we will definitely go here again!

• 26th May 2013

The facilities are well below par even for a hostel. Showers and bathrooms are dirty, basically unuseable. Breakfast is pointless. Wifi is also pointless- barely works. Horrible hostel. Save yourself!

Great location and great value for money. Only con is that the showers were deep in a basement level and the shower I chose unfortunately had no hot water. Privacy curtains were good also.

The treatment on the first day by the staff was not good because they had a lot of work and failed to handle the situation.The showers are on the ground floor,having to cross the entire building and having to go through the reception,dining room and kitchen to access them!The breakfast is very poor,just toast with a single type of jam and butter to share on a giant bowl(terrible)!No fruit juice.And worst of all,check out is at 10 and they charge you 2p to let the bags in the luggage room!

• 25th May 2013
  • Spain

Stayed a night in May very friendly and helpful staff and although rooms are big they are quiet and each bed has curtain for privacy

• 25th May 2013

Good hostel wich is great located. Short way to underground an to the city centre.