Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

Room was humid as hell but other than that it was pretty good, All my things were safe withot having to lock them up and I think that was most important to me

• South Africa

During a heat wave, they were completely unable to make the hostel an adequate living space. Sleep was impossible in the bigger rooms. Zero air movement. A tiny window crack was all that was possible. Smothering and terrible. A fan was requested, promised, and then not provided. The managers were rude and indifferent (though some staff was nice).

We are sorry you got the impression our staff was rude, the heat wave is not happening too often here, but we were trying our best. SRS Staff

Very convenient location and civil staff.

• 13th Jul 2013

the hostel is extremely warm

• 13th Jul 2013

shower was the worst. I couldn't wash my hair and face with that hot water. i wish i could have changed the temperature of water. 3day that i stayed there was worst time of my travel.

We are terribly sorry for all the inconvenience. Hope you will enjoy your next stay with us better. SRS Staff

For one night's stay, this hostel was fine but I wouldn't recommend and more than this (especially as a solo traveller.) There were a lot of young school groups staying here, which made the common rooms overcrowded and hard to meet people aged 18+. The rooms were extremely hot, and there was no ventilation bar a small video. Hospital grade clean. Staff do the job, but aren't overly helpful.

Thank you for your review, we didn't expect a heatwave in London and unfortunately we are located in a listed building so it is impossible for us to install air con. Sorry for all the inconvenience. Hope to see you again in the future. SRS Staff

The first night I spent in this Hostel I was in a room in which you couldn't open a window. The second room I stayed in was better but you could barely open the window. It was very hot and we had no air conditioning. The showers were alright but they are hot and stay at that temperature, you can't adjust it.

• 11th Jul 2013

We are really sorry for all the inconvenience and if you got the impression that our staff were rude. Bed bugs happen very seldom and we take action as soon as we get any feedback about them. Hope you will give us another chance to prove what a great place Smart Russel Square Hostel is. SRS Staff

No bar at the hotel. no showers at stairs need to go downstairs, passing the reception that's lame. small beds and so hot at night within summer. I am not recommending this place. shame because citie is beautiful.

• 11th Jul 2013

you get what you pay for.not for the gadget savvy traveller,since power sockets are only in the common room.

Very good location- close by to the tube. However, the showers in the basement were not very good, and the staff were a bit unfriendly at times. Wouldn't stay again

Thank you for your feedback. We try our best to treat every feedback individually to understand the problem and resolve it promptly. Could you please email the hostel manager to explain your complaint about the staff.

Apparently the worst I've ever been. Dirty facility and unkind staff made me sick.

• 9th Jul 2013
  • South Korea

Our housekeeping staff start as early as 06:30 and finish at 23:00. We do regular check every one hour during these times to maintain good cleaning quality. We are not able to clean after every single guest. Also we are doing our best to help travellers with any inquiry about London and tavelling. Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay but we feel this review is a little unfair. SRS Staff

It was completely dreadful! We had 10 people in a 7x4m room, no air circulation what so ever. Me and my friend had to go and sleep in the reception sofas because simply we couldn't do it in the room we paid to due to the heat it was in there, so so hot. No cheap stay has ever cost us so much.

• 8th Jul 2013
  • Portugal

Thank you for your review. We have different types of dormitories to suit different types of travellers depending on their budget. We offer a cheap and competitive accommodation at very good location. As we are located in a listed building it is impossible to install an air con. Still, we are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. SRS Staff

quite good, the only complaint I have is the shower system is not very easy to use. Overall, it is quite a nice stay!

The dorms were so hot and the windows were stuck closed, apart from that it was all good

Way too small beds. I'm 180 and my feet were touching (flat) the bottom of the bed and my head too! The showers were burning hot and no way to adjust them.

The Good. The location is great The curtains around the beds are superb The staff are friendly, fun and always willing to help. The hostel has a good feel to it The very low cost The not so good The Showers have just a shower curtain and therefore not very private.

Been here many times now, this time in a 16 bed dorm instead of the usual 21 bed dorm - surprisingly though, the 16 bed dorm (room 15) was actually more cramped than the 21 bed dorm. There was hardly space to lay a bag down on the floor - if they just take out one of the bunks it would be so much more comfortable, and probably less stuffy. Anyway, you do get what you pay for and this place is always clean, friendly and the kitchen/dining area is a really nice space to hang out in.

probably the worse hostel I've ever stayed in my life! The staff is not nice at all, the room smells really bad, the location is ok though but I would never go back to this hotel and I dont recommend it to anyone.

We are really sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us but we also feel your review is unfair to our hostel. SRS Staff

Practically no Internet, which was snail speed to never connectable even in the common lounge. Bunk beds are old/rusty and there is no lockable storage. You might say the location is good (West End) but it's actually quite inconvenient as there is no large supermarket nearby. In London, you'll need a tube to go around places anyway, so there is no advantage in staying in an expensive neighborhood like West End. The only reason I stayed there was because I couldn't get other hostels' beds.

Thank you very much for your review. We try our best to treat every feedback individually to understand the problem and resolve it promptly. Our Wi-Fi can be slow sometimes due to amount of people using it at the same time. Hope you will give us another chance in the future :) SRS Staff

It's ok for the money, but if you dont have to spare every coin, next time, i would choose a dorm with less than 9 people.

• 6th Jul 2013