Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

It was good all together. They should mention that the twin room is located at the 3rd floor, and without elavator. So if you are not a very energetic person, just order mix rooms. 6 persons room located on 2nd floor, and others on 1st. They should say that on the sites, its important information. Also the wifi, only in the reception. And almost never worked while I was there 3 days. People living their said it worked OK till 4 pm, after that it stopped working. Asked reception, he didnt know.

• 18th Jun 2013
  • Norway

Doors to dorms are noisy and a curfew is needed on noise

The common areas were comfortable and all the hostel very clean, the very best thing is how it is located. Staff was not very nice, specially one day when the wifi internet they advertise was not working and they wouldn´t take any responsability, leaving as an only option to pay to use their internet cafe, without at least a discount.

Good value but the noise a night can be stressful :(

when I arrived I was told to wait 10mins as the staff were changing shifts... then a big group of italians rock up and they start checking them in!! there's no soap+handtowels in the bathrooms to even wash and dry your hands. internet is in the common area only and hardly works. this place is for for one night though

When you go to London to visit the city and just need a place to stay its good. If you want to spend a lot of time in the hostel you might want to look for something else, although they do have a big common room and a kitch wich was clean (since we didn't have much time we actually didn't use). Breakfast is nothing special. Tost, butter, jelly, cornflakes, milk, instant coffee and tea. But you can eat as much as you want. It was a bit hot in our room, but that was the worst part about our stay.

• 16th Jun 2013

The Manager is a doll. Really tried to accommodate us the very best service. This place has a heart for everyone ! Warm Regards Christina Prince

• Sweden

You should take photo of rooms to your site! I don't like that shower was one for all, but on site you wrote that it would be one for block.

• Ukraine

Room was a bit crammed, not much floor space for the amount of people in the larger bunk rooms. The common room and kitchen facilities are great!

Terrible shower and very far from the room - and very smelly Not enough info on the website Staff is nice when they want to - if not, they are TERRIBLE!!

The hostel is very good for this price for Backpackers who just want to sleep and go sightseeing. Walking distance from most of the sights and monuments.

Place is fine. Great location. Staff aren't too knowledgeable or helpful. I asked where I could get theatre tickets and they said just explore the city centre. I later saw a sign saying the hostel sells them. There was a minor issue with my room they didn't address as well. But still clean, good facilities. Bit quiet, not a chatty or fun atmosphere.

Good: Excellent location Clean Well staffed with good service Free wifi on ground floor Bad: Expensive (but its london) Thin walls, can hear everything along corridors and other rooms Crowded with young travellers, like a fish market Shower facilities in basement (I stayed on third floor) Hostel facilities

Showers in basement are not very nice. But that's the only negative.

• 13th Jun 2013

You definitely get what you pay for with this hostel. It's in a nice spot, right by the Russell Square Tube station and the British Museum, but the facilities are a little lacking. The building lists to one side, and the showers are in the basement (and to find them you have to work your way through a maze of doors and hallways). I'd recommend it for a one night stopover, but not for an extended stay.

This place had horrible customer service from beginning to end. Our room was located in the basement next to the bathroom which stunk the whole stay. When we arrived they only had one bed available, even though we reserved two. So, they have us some random guys who woke us up in the middle of the night. Very disappointed with my stay here.

Although the location/price were really good for London, this hostel is just so dirty! I've been to several hostels all over the world and I'm not the "paranoid for cleaning" kind of person, but those showers - Jesus Christ! So, see if you think it is worthy!

• 12th Jun 2013

Offering a private twin room as child-like bunk beds was very disappointing. Other guests running around at 2am banging doors and partying.

• Scotland

I would have appreciated being notified in advance that there was a £10 cash deposit when I checked in and that debit cards payments had an additional service fee because it was an inconvenience finding this out upon arrival.

• 12th Jun 2013

Worst hostel I've ever been to. Triple bunks in the dorms, so high they're scary to climb. No plugs anywhere; you must fight for one of the few that exists with the hundreds of other guests, most of which are children on camp. Wifi doesn't work. Showers are awful, pressure so strong you must shower with your eyes closed, and pipes on the ceiling drip as well. Worst are the staff, who are so rude and unhelpful. When I checked out he threw my deposit at me and walked off without even a goodbye.