Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

I've stayed in 8 different hostel in London and this is by far at the bottom of my list. Booked into a 15 bed dorm and to my delight(!), the room barely had any space and 3 tier beds with people stacked like sardines waiting me with my bed on top. Should have got my climbing gear along. I paid as much for 4 bed rooms! To top it all, they handed my linen at the reception and had to make my bed at 3am (late flight)! The staff was pretty hit and miss too. Wouldn't stay again.

Hi, thanks for staying with Smartbackpackers! Our main goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. We have different types of dormitories to suit different types of travellers depending on their budget. However we are currently looking into installing new bunk beds into our rooms to make the rooms even more comfortable to guests with personal power sockets and more storage space.

I had a great time at smart russell square. my room had bunk beds and a good number of windows which one could open and had good air in the room for sleeping. I really loved the curtains that each bed has - a great way of still having privacy in a dorm. showers, toilets, kitchen all fine and i liked the security after 11p.m. friendly staff, a simple breakfast included in the already low price - what more can one want in the middle of London, at walking distance to all major sights?

• 2nd Oct 2014

Hi there, thanks for your awesome feedback. We are really glad you enjoyed your stay in our hostel! All of our beds in the hostels have curtains for privacy and all rates include our free basic breakfast. We hope to see you again!

Worst hostel I've stayed in. No atmosphere and everyone is on their laptops. Beds are terrible and anyone over 6 foot will struggle to fit. Overpriced for an old run down hostel.

• 1st Oct 2014

Hi, thanks for your feedback. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. Our bunks were chosen to suit guests up to 5ft10 which is taller than the average; however we are currently looking extending this for the comfort of our guests! We leave the atmosphere up to our awesome guests, we are sorry you didn't enjoy your time.

Staff were very rude and not helpful in any way. They had very little knowledge of the area or they were unwilling to share it. Overall a terrible experience.

Hi, thanks for your feedback. Our reception team are continually receiving training on customer service and care. We will pass your comments onto the hostel manager. Our Hostel is very conveniently located in Central London. We continue our endeavour to provide clean, safe, low-cost, budget accommodation.

I booked the female ensuite dorm. The room itself looked like it had newly been refurbished and was fair enough for what you're paying. I was staying right on the top floor which was fine for me but I don't recommend it if you have a heavy suitcase. I didn't receive a towel and it's important to note that you will be charged a £10 deposit which they want in cash upon arrival. The location is excellent and the staff were pretty nice all in all great choice if you're on a budget.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to leave valuable feedback! Our hostel is nearing the completion of an amazing refurbishment. We have invested alot of money into our hostels to ensure we provide our valued guests with fresh, clean and hygienic rooms. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. We hope to see you again!

Smart Russel Square is only a block from Russel Square tube station. The ensuite was quite new and very convenient. The curtains on the end ensured you could sleep even when the light was on. Kitchen facilities supplied. Great, affordable place to stay.

• 30th Sep 2014

Hi there, thank you for your positive feedback. We are currently investing alot of money into our hostel so very soon a majority of our rooms will be upgraded to include ensuite facilities as you experienced. We are glad you enjoyed the location of the hostel and hope to see you again!

The staff at the front desk are poorly trained, so things take ages. Their operations are poorly designed, making the process even more stressful. This is not a hostel worth your money, despite the low cost. You expect what you pay for, and here you get even less.

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. Our reception team are continually receiving training on customer service and care. We are currently investing alot of money to improve the facilities in our hostel so very soon a majority of our rooms will be upgraded to include ensuite facilities. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. We hope you enjoyed our central location and hope to see you again!

Shower only in the basement??? What a hell??? And how about the dwarf and claustrophobic size of the bed beds? How can people fit there??

• 26th Sep 2014

Hi there, we are currently investing alot of money to improve the facilities in our hostel so very soon a majority of our rooms will be upgraded to include ensuite facilities. In the meantime, we have a large gender split shower room in our basement to ensure our guests don't have to wait for a shower. Our bunks were chosen to suit guests up to 5ft10 which is taller than the average, however we are currently looking extending this for the comfort of our guests! Thanks for staying with us!

The hostel was fine. I did not appreciate some of the guests there, but I know you can't help that.

• 25th Sep 2014

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. We hope to see you again!

The russell square hostel is located very good place. U can touch national museum by walk. And many places u can go by walk. Walking to north direction u can find many cheap restaurants. But breakfast is simple.

• 22nd Sep 2014
  • South Korea

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed the central and convenient location of our hostel. We provide a free all you can eat breakfast for our guest including fresh bread, cereal, tea and coffee. We hope to see you again at Smart Backpackers.

I liked but the communication of the receptionists is horrible, speak lower and who does not understand the language very just do not understand the rules and schedules of the hostel. But the givenin are great for those who want to spend one or two days in London.

• 21st Sep 2014

Thank you for review. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Our reception team are continually receiving training on customer service and care, we will pass this onto the hostel manager! We continue our endeavour to provide clean, safe, low-cost, budget accommodation and hope to see you again to see the improvements for yourself!

In general a good hostel. The only complaint is about the fact that the flow of water from the sinks is to weak. That makes brushing teeth or just washing hands much harder...This is clearly to save money on water...it's a shame...

Many thanks for staying with us and for providing your valuable feedback. Some of the things you've mentioned are being resolved right now. Our hostel is undergoing a refurbishment so we hope you will come back soon and see the massive improvements we've made!

Great place! The location is ideal to spend a weekend in London. You can walk to many places and it's also well connected with public transport. I'd definitely stay there again!

Thank you for review. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Our hostel is also within a short walking distance to the lively Camden Town, bustling Oxford Street and a 30 minute walk from the Big Ben, Westminster Abbey and the London Eye. We continue our endeavour to provide clean, safe, low-cost, budget accommodation. We hope to see you again soon!

It smelled like fresh paint and obviously recently got some love. The showers are bad: no possibility to adjust the temperature and as a girl if you don't want to get your hair wet you'll have a hard time. Also no mirrors in the bathroom (well, there was a small area but no lights and the floor blocked with old mattresses, might be better after renovations are concluded?). Better be a good climber to reach the third storey bunk beds.

Hi, thanks for your feedback! We are currently investing alot of money to improve the facilities in our hostel so very soon a majority of our rooms will be upgraded to include ensuite facilities with pressure and temperature control! We definitely hope you come back after the renovations to see the improvements to the hostel!

They charge you for EVERYTHING!!!! So its extra money for locker, for storage, for printing ONE sheet, for towels etc.. In the end you spend much more in that place than any normal hotel. However, its very clean and location is good. So, go for it if you have a lot of money! :)

• 18th Sep 2014

Hello. Many thanks for staying with us and for providing your valuable feedback. We aim to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. The rate we offer for the beds do not include lockers charges and towels as most of our customers do not need to use them therefore they do not end up paying for things they do not need. We hope to see you again!

I did not like the hostel that much in comparison to other ones that I have stayed at. They did however seem to be refurbishing. You get what you pay for so yeah, it was cheap and that is good. But the beds are really short, if you're much more than 165cm or 5'4 you will almost not fit the beds...

Hello. Thank you for staying with us and for providing your valuable feedback. The prices we offer for the beds don't include extras like lockers charges and towels as a majority of our guests do not need to use them therefore they do not end up paying for services they do not need. Our bunks were chosen to suit guests up to 5ft10 which is taller than the average, however we are currently looking extending this for the comfort of our guests! We hope to see you again!

It's my first experience with a backpacker's hostel and it is a good one! SMART Russell Square is set in a prime location, a short tube's ride away from most attractions. And it's within walking distance from London Euston and King's Cross Rail Stations. Sheets are clean. If you choose the right bed, you can find space for your luggage.

• 16th Sep 2014
  • Singapore

Hi, thanks for leaving valuable feedback! Our Hostel is very conveniently located in Central London. We will continue our endeavour to provide clean, safe, low-cost, budget accommodation. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again!

An absolutely horrible, sleepless night, with drunk guests screaming and shouting all around the hostel and absolutely no action by staff/security. I do stay in hostels when I travel, and can honestly say this was, by far, the worst experience I've ever had with this form of accommodation. Never, never again! I understand that few members of staff are at work here during the night, but such inaction in response to noise is totally unacceptable, out of basic norms of respect in the first place.

Hello. Many thanks for staying with us and for providing your valuable feedback. Our Hostel is very conveniently located in Central London. We continue our endeavour to provide clean, safe, low-cost, budget accommodation. Our reception team are available 24 hours which means you may have people moving around the Hostel at late hours. We believe this is an advantageous service for our guests however we will pass on your comments to the Hostel Manager to look further into!

I felt like this Hostel nickel-and-dimed you for every little thing; charging for locker use, WIFI, etc. The front desk staff was poorly trained and took ages, and the showers were in the basement; you had to walk through the dining area to reach. Early checkout time; around poor experience. For the price I paid, I expected more.

We aim to provide clean, budget-friendly accommodation in Central London. The rate we offer does not include lockers and towels as most of our guests don’t wish to use them and in turn they don’t end up paying for services they do not need. We are currently improving the facilities in our hostel so very soon a majority of our rooms will be upgraded to include ensuite facilities. In the meantime, we have a large gender split shower room in our basement to ensure our guests don't have to wait!

Honestly, I wasn't expecting much as I had read a lot of negative reviews. The hostel was really good though, in my opinion. The location is excellent, rooms and common rooms are pretty clean and I always felt safe, even if I was travelling alone. The only problem I would say is the showers room: you can only going there from the common room, but it's not like I didn't know it and I didn't care to be honest. If I happen to come back to London I think I'll probably book here again

• 10th Sep 2014

Hi, thank you for review. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We are currently investing alot of money to improve the facilities in our hostel so very soon a majority of our rooms will be upgraded to include ensuite facilities. In the meantime, we have a large gender split shower room in our basement to ensure our guests don't have to wait for a shower. Hopefully when you come back you will see the improvement this will make for yourself!