Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

I would only stop here for a night!! The showers are awful and the staff are awful too.

Not a bad stay. Very disappointing to only have one PowerPoint in a twelve+ person share room. Even though I was already aware of this from reading prior reviews it still made things difficult to be prepared for onward travel. The larger rooms are very cosy and there isn't a lot of spare space. However the use of curtains on the beds was effective in giving everyone their own space. Nice location. Very close to the tube station and a nice enough atmosphere in the surrounding area.

I was staying in 9 bed dorm. Which in hindsight should have made me question why it was an odd number but I didn't think of it at the time. The room I was in had triple bunk beds which meant that I was sleeping at a height that was about 1 and a half times my own. As the last person to check into that room I had no choice in bed which is fair enough and didn't have too much difficulty climbing the ladder but it was rather unexpected. It was also incredibly warm in the room. Cheap so it was fine.

I enjoyed my stay in the hostel. The only negative point was was the heat in the bedroom for 20 people. A fan at least would be an excellent idea of improvement.

• 16th Jul 2015

I was assigned a room in the basement I walked down the steps & the woodwork was being glossed so smelt horrendous I struggled to find my room because the door was being glossed & number had been removed (maybe this should be done when guests aren't around or do it on stages & don't use that floor) & he just let me in so if I would have been dishonest I could of been a thief he let in. Cleaners rude In early & made a lot of noise despite sleeping guests. Wanted a shower when I arrived & was told

• 16th Jul 2015

I think the relation location versus money is very good, however at the expense of comfort. The shared rooms are super tight and I think some additional ventilation would be good. Showers space is fine, but a bit smelly (moist), and basically you have to shower with one hand pushing the bottom all the time, additionally water is almost cold.

Just it was quite hot and noisy in the rooms and you couldn't open the windows more but I don't think this is a problem most of the year...

This hostel is common for those that are studying and those who are on working visa's. The beds are a bit small because they have boards on either end and they are commonly 3 bunks high so if your tall then you may have an issue

Good hostel, location was great. Easy to walk to museum and everywhere else if you're fit. Showers strangely have too much pressure and no space to put clothes. Motion sensing light in shower turns off every minute. Free breakfast consists of cornflakes, muesli and/or toast.

Money hungry. No power outlets no fans 10am checkout. Pay lockers pay computer rude house keeper s rude desk staff. bad exchange rates

Hello, Thank you for the review. As the laws in the UK are strict on hostels, we are not allowed to put so many power outlets in the rooms. Also because our prices are so low, we are forced to charge for locker use, but rest assured we are working to fix this issue as soon as possible. Our staff are very highly trained, we will investigate this thoroughly and make sure the right action is taken.

Bed too small (I´m 1,92m). Staff didn´t helped with simple questions. 5 pounds by adaptor that you find half price at the street. Could be a place to stand the towels on the room. The doors closed so strong that the hole hostel shake, as the walls where of wood or drywall. Good points is the location, clealiness and price. Piccadily line is the same as Heatrow.

• 10th Jul 2015

Have to pay extra to use a locker in your room for 24 hours. There was one locker per bed in my room anyway, so it's not like they charge because there's limited availability.

• 9th Jul 2015

I really enjoyed my stay at SmartRussell square, the staff was very nice and so were the rooms. The only two things were that the showers werent very nice or clean and that some rooms dont have enough plugs for everyone to charge their phone.

There's no space to put my luggage bags. In the middle of my stay, was moved to a different room very far away and I had to pack all my stuff. The other room had a construction site less than 1 metre away from the window and the workers OPENED the room to paint it. Because of this, there was no privacy at all and security feels compromised.

• 8th Jul 2015
  • Singapore

This is by far the hostel in the world. Staff are great, facilities are excellent and what a great location. Short walk to Central London, minutes from the shops and a stone's throw to a beautiful park with fountain.

All around decent place,

• 5th Jul 2015

Reminiscent of my time in Alcatraz...they were extremely strict, which personally is something I find keeps me in check. The lack of plug sockets in the rooms was refreshingly simplistic and the lumpy dwarf beds humbled me. they also charge for lockers. wouldn't recommend to enemy. The security (prison) guards made sure to keep tabs on all of us as well as our whereabouts and doings just to add that hint of an overbearing nature, found in only a few maximum security prisons around the world.

Lockable storage broken, no curtains on the windows, no curtains on the bunk beds, no lamp for each bunk bed, not enough charging facilities - 2 sockets for 6 people is inadequate. Location great, staff helpful if thin on the ground. £32 for a bunk in this mixed 6 dorm was not good value for money

It was totally hard to find a place to charge the mobile phone, one confotable place . And in some parts of the hostel the wi-fi was low. The bedroom was stuffy and so small. There was no space for the luggage.

Hello, Thank you for leaving a review. As a result of health and safety laws, we are not allowed to install a lot of power outlets. Our common area has plenty for our customers and each room has some too. As our hostel is so big, some places do not receive great WiFi service and we are working on getting a different supplier. As this is London every inch counts, we do offer our guests lockers and luggage storage for a small charge. Best Regards

A great price for the location, but the large dorm I stayed in felt like a military barracks, with 3 levels of bunk beds, and the bathrooms were so comically small they were hardly usable for showers. Also, hardly any plugs in the room. If you're really looking for something cheap, this will do, but otherwise you may want to try somewhere else.

Hello, Thank you for leaving a review. Some o our rooms may seem a little cramped, but this is London and every inch counts. Also our prices are very cheap as well. The hostel is going through some refurbishments, and we are working on improving all our rooms. Best regards,