Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

Good hostel, clean, in a perfect location. Very helpful staff.

Upside: Good Russell Sq location, liked the privacy nets around beds. Dislike: My bed had no personal power outlet or light meaning that I had to go to the (super crowded) common room to charge my phone. The beds at the top had no privacy curtain upwards meaning that if someone turned on the lights, they would wake up. Having one big room with showers is a good idea, but the showers were disgusting and why can't you just have a normal tap instead of one button where you can't control temperature

Since my last visit in July, a third floor was added. I stayed in a 8 bed female dormwhich also had a tiny tiny bathroom, with toilet, shower and sink. I appreciated it as the showers are in the basement. The room was very clean also, being new. My blanket didn't seem very clean but the sheets were spotless.

Hello and thank you for choosing to stay with us again. We have different types of dormitories to suit different types of travellers depending on their budget. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accomodation in Central London. Our bed linen is professionaly laundered, so just ask reception if there's a problem and they will happily swap it for you! We hope we will see you again soon!

Nothing special... Very much like a machiene. The room I stayed in a room that had six beds and should of only had four. Bathrooms were down stairs and inconvenient. The staff just seemed overworked and not concerned about any guest services. I checked out after the first night at 10:30am and they still charged me for the second night.

• 15th Jan 2015

I'm 195 and there was only I problem: beds are about 180cm. Besides that there was everything you need: hot water, simpliest, tasty breakfast and comfy bed (if you're not that tall)

• 14th Jan 2015
  • Poland

The hostel was great - great value, great facilities on offer, great service. The only negatives I found were: lack of free security options (most of the people staying at the hostel are students, or travellers and have large bags), more seating for breakfast, more electricty points, and more mirrors/sinks in the bathroom. It was great for the money though! Highly recommend.

• 11th Jan 2015

Not a fan of the windows always open and heating on max. Gave me sore throat and traffic was pretty loud. WiFi was spotty in my room. Overall very nice staff, nice living room.

• 10th Jan 2015

Location can't be beat - 2 min to British Museum, 5 minutes walk to Euston/St Pancras/Kings X, 10 min to Oxford street. Very good value for money in central London. Good standard of cleanliness. Generally quiet clientele, hence a good night's sleep - beds have curtains for privacy,, which is great.

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Now you can check our lastest news, offers and photos on Facebook. We hope we will see you again!

Cheap, close to all the important landmarks and clean. What more could you want?

We had problems with our beds in the first day. We got out of the hostel and when we got back at the end of the day, everything was messy, our courtins opened. The hostel gave free locker. The ambient is awful, my boyfriend had problem with the 10 pound that he gave on the first day to guarantee the sheets will be returned cause he was lefting one day before (and he paid for 3 days and left on the 2nd). I not recommend the hostel at all. Just the location, that is very good.

Good location for the british museum.

The rooms were smelly due to the people. Almost none of the outlets work, and the very few are continuously taken up by people. Breakfast was terrible.

• 7th Jan 2015
  • Taiwan

Really good place to stay.Great area nice facilities very good staff.

If anything, the heating was set too high in the bedroom (208 on Jan 3rd), and I don't recall there been any way to control the temperature (thermostat or tap); The temperature was better by morning though. Other improvements: A couple more hooks in the individual showers (between 1st and 2nd floor), and on the beds (possibly even inside the sleeping area would be nice) In 210 (IIRC) several of the coat hooks on the beds were broken.

• 3rd Jan 2015

The staff were by and large rude. The location is great but it seems that there is an extra charge or deposit for things that hostels would not normally charge you for. As far as I could tell there were no free places to store your possessions which is something greatly needed.

• 3rd Jan 2015

Great value hostel. People stole from the fridge often. They need a camera on it.

• 2nd Jan 2015

Shower is very small, not enough room to hang stuff (easy fix with some pins in the wall), was happy to have a sink in the room. Breakfast I didnt even bother with since there was a "Pret a Manger" around the corner :) Room itself was nice (4 bedroom).

Hello and thank you for your feedback. We are currently investing a lot of money to improve the facilities in our hostel so very soon a majority of our rooms will be upgraded to include ensuite facilities. In the meantime, we have a large gender split shower room in our basement to ensure our guests don't have to wait for a shower.

Rude security staff at night, asking for many details of the room in a rude way instead of asking for ID to check if we are staying at the hostel. The breakfast was average, and when they say till 9:30 means you have to finish it before 9:30, otherwise the cleanning ladies take your breakfast away. 2 plugs per room (need to take a multiple plug adaptor).Beds were comfortable enough and toilets and showers were clean. Nice location close to the tube (1 min walk) and the center (15 min).

The showers are in the basement, the rooms and the beds are small, The receptionist was not in a good mood that day. The deposit is in pounds, so you will end up having 10 useless pounds when you leave.. The breakfast is free though... Oh and the people!! You will definitely find someone that will.break your standards of weirdness. Good luck!

Many thanks for staying with us and providing your valuable feedback. Some of the things you mentioned are being resolved right now. The hostel is undergoing a refurbishment and the rooms will all have en-suite bathrooms. We have different types of dormitories to suit different types of travellers depending on their budget. Our bunks were chosen to suit guests up to 5ft 10 which is taller than the average however we are currently looking in to ext

Wish the lockers were free