Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

Poor facilities having to walk up and down stairs past construction workers and sites to get to bathrooms and showers. Unacceptable having unisex bathrooms with no mirrors or power facilities (hair dryers etc). Showers ANCIENT and in terrible condition -would not enter without shower shoes. No lights near mirrors. Too many people in dorms for space available and safety is questionable with bunks so high. Power facilities in dorms not enough. Light in dorms unacceptable if on the top bunk.

• 10th Jun 2014

Hi and thank you for taking the time to post a review. Unfortunately for our current guests we are in the process of refurbishment; we can only apologise for the inconvenience. Fortunately in the near future our guests will find things much, much better! Power points, personal lighting and ensuite facilities are a few of the items we're addressing.

Rooms very noisy, crowded, bad mattress, people living there (so bed hidden with linen or towels, stuff all around), showers without lockers (asked for the keys, they said "all the keys lost", there are 60 lockers), showers in basement. I couldn't sleep, all the night people is going in and out, the light was not switched off almost all the night. Big group of children running in the corridor. Mostly spanish staff. Right now building work and scaffolding, dirty and disturbing, workers there.

Barely any plug sockets, only two in a four person room, no individual lighting next to beds and extra must be paid to use the lockers.

Hi and thank you for your feedback. We are in the process of upgrading at the moment. Power points, personal lighting and ensuite facilities are a few of the items we're addressing.

I will not go back to this hostel. Showers are in the basement, which is not nice when you are on the third floor ! No toilets on the third floor. There is a sink in the bedroom but NO water ! And only hot water in the toilets. It was hot in the bedroom and we could only open the window a very little. Bed are small (and I am only 1.60m tall). Breakfast is really really basic (no fruit juice or hot chocolate). Good point is the hostel seems safe and is well located.

Thank you for your review. We take the safety of our guests seriously, so happy to hear that you felt safe staying with us. We are in the process of refurbishing the premises and have had to temporarily close some facilities. We can only apologise that this has happened during your stay with us. Next time we see you all of our rooms will be new and improved Ensuites.

Just a very noising and were workung early so people cant sleeping well

• 6th Jun 2014
  • Mexico

Thank you for review. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Now you can check our latest news, offers and photos on face book.

The layout of the hostel is poor, and inconvenient, we had to pass through the dining room to the basement to get a shower! The room was over crowded and the beds uncomfortable, they were too short for an adult, so you could not strech your legs out for comfortable nights sleep. People in the room were noisy and coming in at all hours of the morning slamming the doors. The breakfast was appallling, the food was very very cheap with no choices. The atmosphere was very poor, with drunk charac

• 6th Jun 2014

Thank you for your review. We provide a 24 hour reception so that if our budget-conscious guests choose to travel through the night (when it’s cheaper) we are able to help. We are in the process of refurbishing the premises and have had to temporarily close some facilities. We apologise that this has happened during your stay with us. Next time we see you all of our rooms will be new and improved Ensuites.

Hi, to put it like this: I wasnt a fan of this hostel. Have been to many but this was definitely one of the worst. Things to improve: Give lockers for free, stop the horrible noise from the electronic lockers, showers only in the cellar (expect some walking), rooms werent clean, beds are too short (I am just 180cm but it wasnt comfortable for me), more comfortable/inviting communal area, sockets and/or reading lights in the bed....

Hi thanks for the feedback. We are listening and will pass on your comments. The renovations will see a huge improvement.

This facilities of this place were really poor! the shower is in the basement and only toilets on the 2nd floor. We couldn't even bring candy to our room, then there would be mice

• 5th Jun 2014
  • Denmark

Thank you for your review. We are in the process of refurbishing the premises and have had to temporarily close some facilities. We apologise that this has happened during your stay with us. Next time we see you all of our rooms will be new and improved Ensuites.

I traveled in Europe for three weeks and this was by far the worst hostel I stayed in. Most hostel staff could barely speak English and were thus not helpful, the hostel provided almost no complimentary services like WiFi, breakfast, etc (which was free everywhere else I stayed), there was construction, and the rooms were unsatisfactory. Bottom line, if you are going to London, do not stay at this hostel

Hi. Thanks for your comments. Clearly there was a serious communication breakdown. Just so you know for next time; breakfast is free and served between 07:30 and 09:30 in the common room, which is where you will also find the free wi-fi.We apologise for the disruption caused by our renovations but they will be over soon. Thanks again.

Rooms were ok, however the only lockers in the rooms are electronic (that you have to rent) and my locker wasn't secure. Unfortunately the only replacement available wouldn't open so I was stuck. Showers are all in one big block for the entire hostel, there are lockers available, but again you need to organise a key with reception (this may have just been a deposit). It would really make life easier if I could use my own padlock on these!

• 31st May 2014
  • New Zealand

cleanliness can be improved especially in the bathrooms and toilets.

There wasn't a very pleasant atmosphere there, really.

• 30th May 2014
  • Sweden

This one has slipped in my estimation, I had been impressed when I first visited. To be fair they are renovating, still the sight of half a ton of plaster outside the room is unusual. I had problems getting a duvet, almost needed to call down the wrath of god before one was produced. Location is of course, still excellent. Good common area where I enjoyed the banter of the drifters. But the weekend had arrived and prices had bolted, somewhere else was required.

Everything was OK, but these bathrooms in basement were terrible :( Cabines are small and you have to press them to use. If you are enough tall is OK but if you are for example 165 cm your head ( hair !) will be completely wet :( And toilet are both for men and women :( very uncomfortable :( Maybe you can change it ? E.g. on one floor for women and on the second floor for men ? But wifi works and basic breakfast is OK.

Never again! Had to pay extra for wifi, baggage lockers in the room, baggage keeping and lots more. 1 room in the basement with ~14 showers for the WHOLE hostel. Not even toilets on every floor. Water was boiling hot and impossible to wash hands,because cold water didn't work. Breakfast was ok but not good. For the expensive room very bad.

• 29th May 2014

Maid could get into our private lockers, so now security there, might as well of left our belongings on the bed. The room had a leak in the roof so had a bucket to catch the drips. Dripping noise all night, not good. Showers only had one speed, full blast. Location of showers in the basement not ideal. Toilets were meant to be on every floor but 2 floors had their doors boarded up. Very, very basic. Worst backpackers I have been in.

• 27th May 2014

I wouldn't stay here again. You have to walk down to the sketchy basement in order to take a shower in which the lights are motion-sensed, so you might take a shower in the dark if people aren't roaming around (happened to my friend). The rooms were very hot and there was construction work going on every morning at 8am in which the workers would open our windows (not sure why that is). The breakfast is free but it is warm milk and soggy cereal. The "free wifi" doesn't even work inside the rooms.

Great location and a good atmosphere, and an excellent price.

Thank you for your review and rating the hostel so high. Now you can follow our latest news and offers on face book.

1. they used to use order tongue and attitude to the customers. all their attitude shows they are one, the customers are 2. 2. the water supply there is extramely horrible. i always joked they must come from Sahara then one staff told me he comes form Arab Bay, sorry forget the country name again. 3. some of staffs there are disgusting. one woman told me, she run away immediately when she saw one of them staying in the mix dorm room and had to book another hostel for 5 days.

The bathrooms were out of order and the showers needed cleaning. The location made it worthwhile, but I wouldn´t want to hang out in the common room. The breakfast could have been much better.

• 24th May 2014

Thank you for review, could you please advise us on what way you did not like our hostel so we can improve our services.