Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

This hostel is definitely not one I'll be booking again, despite the good central location and nice staff. The 8 bed dorms are very small (so are beds) and there are only 2 plugs near the door for everyone. Noisy electric drawers (extra charge) under beds can wake you up in the morning. The floor trembles when people walk, it can wake you up. The showers are collective (hello nudity!). Lifeless lobby with very few plugs near the seats, and you're not allowed to move seats while recharging (!?)

In the dormitory room with bathroom the sound of ventilator is intolerable, especially at night. I would definetly recommend this hostel only as a cheap place to sleep in the center. Do not expect anything more for this money. Breakfast is quite poor, location is good, staff is ok.

The hostel's staff is friendly, however, would add value if they knew about touristy things. Positives: 1. Hostel is around the corner from Piccadilly line, so an easy walk. 2. Hostel is near to lots of restaurants 3. Makes you feel safe since all doors require swiping in. 4. Breakfast has lot of items Negatives: 1. Hostel could be cleaner 2. Please install a hook rack in the bathroom stalls so I can hang more than a shirt while taking shower. 3. Please install bigger sinks

• 24th Apr 2015

our room didn' t have more than two plugs and we were 12 people. Not enough

• 24th Apr 2015
  • Spain

Great location, very small rooms and beds but hey it's London

Overall, a very enjoyable stay. Breakfast was a nice surprise.

It was the perfect choice for me. I really enjoyed my time at the hostel. The staff were so friendly and helpful as they really showed there help with all guests and myself. Loved when I walked in as they had there smiles on to make you feel it's like your home. Rooms, common room and showers were cleaned at any time of the day when you pass by. Great choice for me and my friends for a weekend away.

• 20th Apr 2015

The atmosphere was out of my head... The staff were really helpful... The hostels management was perfect and I really give all my credit on the managers help on how he supports the staff while he was around... I would diffently book my next week off to stay there on the price wise and atosmphere...

• 20th Apr 2015

Loved the staff and the hostel

• Turkey

Two words that made my stay good Staff & Atmosphere

• 19th Apr 2015

We had a really good experience there. It is very well located, clean with a good breakfast. They give you keys for the room which is rare in shared bedrooms but makes you fell certain that only the people staying there can get in. The staff is helpful enough for the amount of people staying there, it is a bit crowded. The only thing to improv is the wifi connection, it works only in a few spots of the hostel.

The beds were a bit noisy. Large common area. Staff were friendly and helpful. Very close to the underground! Shower room was a bit lacking

Staff were friendly. Bed linens seemed newly cleaned. Some of the bathrooms were quite dirty, the dryers didn't work and there was no paper towel. Beds had curtains for privacy. There are electrical outlets in the bed units so you can charge your phone while sleeping. Rooms are quite cramped, people put their luggage on the floor. Common area is too small and the atmosphere was sort of off, Wifi was awful, really slow. Overall though it was good value for the cheap price I paid.

• 15th Apr 2015
  • Sweden

My friends and I only stayed for one night and I'm happy it was only one night. Fairly low price but they charge you for everything, the atmosphere is terrible, and I found the staff to be completely rude and even mocking sometimes. Although it was a clean place I will not stay in this hostel again.

I thought the photos of the hostel were very deceiving! The room was so scary with three bunk beds stacked on top of eachother. The shower was like a locker room which the shower you had to hold the entire time. It was so hard with the wifi because it says free wifi but it's not in the rooms. There is no plugs to charge your phone on the rooms as well.

• 13th Apr 2015

Just what you expect from a cheap hostel, everything you need but nothing more. Unfortunately the beds are pretty small (185cm I think) So if you are taller than that it is not that comfortable sleeping. Poor internet connection :(

Hello. Many thanks for staying with us and for providing your valuable feedback. We hope we will see you again!

called the hostel to make sure i have booked the hostel, the staff was impatient to check it out for me hurt my arm before i went to the hostel when i checked in that night, the reception staff gave me a nasty unfriendly look the bathroom door and the exhaust fan were too noisy

• 7th Apr 2015
  • Hong Kong

Hello. Many thanks for staying with us and for providing your valuable feedback. We've passed you comments on to the team leader to assist us with our training. We hope we will see you again!

It was a nice place for it's value but it was dirty and I didn't feel the safest there

• 6th Apr 2015
  • China

Hi. Thanks for the feedback. Our housekeeping team clean day & night for Guests comfort, but facilities are only ever as clean as the last person who used them. We will try to do more however. If any Guests feel uncomfortable about something, please see the friendly receptionists who will try to help.

A great deal between what you get from what you pay. A true backpackers comfortable hostel

Rooms are very tight. Nowhere to put your bags. Plenty of showers and hot. Hate the timers on it lasts only 10 seconds. Should really increase the timer mechanism on this.

Hello and thanks for your review. Some of our rooms may be smaller than elsewhere. However our rates remain competitive for central London. We are relaying your comments to the relevant departments, regarding the timer mechanism on our showers. Thank you for choosing to stay with Smart Hostels we hope to see you again.