Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

Thank you for keeping this youth hostel pretty clean and tidy. all day long. Curtains on beds is a very good idea.

• 8th May 2014

Thank you for review. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Now you can check our latest news, offers and photos on Facebook.

The construction occurring onsite was consistent throughout the night making it difficult to sleep. The window in the basement and in the room opened right into one of the areas where people were working.

Hey! First of all, thanks for choosing Smart Russell Square while you were in London. Unfortunately, sometimes we have unforeseen maintenance issues. Nevertheless, we try not to affect guests with these. We apologize for any inconvenience it might have caused you and we hope to see you soon! SRS Team

Dirty place, the rooms and toilets. Rude staff. Lady practically screamed at me when I was finishing my breakfast 10 minutes past the breakfast time. I wasn't even taking extra servings then, just eating what I had taken in the allocated time. A lot of additional charges for lockers and baggage storage. No lifts Noisy due to thin walls and sewage pipes. Wifi only in the common areas. Only redeeming factor is that it's near a tube station. But many hostels have that too.

We are concerned you found the quality of the facilities below the standards we normally ensure to meet. We would have hoped you could have raised these issues with either our receptionist or even the manager. We are sorry about this. Wi-Fi is for free in the common areas and for the access in the rooms we charge £1 per 24 hours.

The worst place that I stayed!!!!

I was DISGUSTED! the state of the Hostel was smelly, sticky and dirty. I did not even bother to shower, favouring instead to book at another Hostel, asked at new hostel to check in early just so I could shower. Making and unmaking my own bed? no actual WiFi anywhere but one small room. Please tell me what I actually paid for?

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. We would have hoped you could have raised these cleanliness issues with either our receptionist or even the manager. We offer affordable accommodation in the heart of London with free breakfast. We have different room types for different budgets, also it is accustomed that in 9 bed dorms guest make their own beds. Wi-Fi is free in all common areas and for the access in the room we charge £1 per 24hours.

Could use some updates especially to the washroom and shower facilities. Otherwise everything was as expected but great location.

The shower was horrible, it was a wired location to be at a basement, and needed to pass through the lobby and common area. Water was freezing cold in the morning! Got a pillow with words printed on the pillow cover, and the green ink fell off, made HALF MY FACE GREEN when I woke up. There was a renovation going on and the workers working just outside the window of my room put loud music on and opened the window. Literally see each other face to face! IT WAS 8 IN THE MORNING AND I WANTED SLEEP!

Thank you for your review and choosing to stay with us. We are really sorry for all the inconvenience caused by the refurbishment, but as you have mentioned we have couple of issues we are trying to resolve like the showers. We are working for all our rooms to be en suite.

Location is close to schools, so the hostel is full of students from all around. There are no bathrooms available in all the floors and showers are located in the basement. Lockers and luggage storage are available for some extra pounds.

The showers and the bedrooms are Uncomfortable!

We are continuously seeking ways of improving our hostel's quality and that is why we are undergoing a complete refurbishment so all the rooms are en suite.

Unfortunately for me my room's overhead light was not working when i arrived in the evening of my first night. unable to see what i was doing around my bed and belongings I reported this problem to the front desk immediately and was told maintenance would be notified. No given time when the issue would be fixed was told to me. This inconvenient and unprofessional problem was not resolved the next morning and was still not resolved my following second night. I had to ask for a flashlight

• 25th Apr 2014

Hi there, we are terribly sorry for this situation. Thank you for your comment, we will investigate this matter so there is no problem like this in the future.

The rooms were cramped standard Smart hostels. The beds were curtain style bunk beds. Wifi was fairly weak and didn't work in the room. There were many children running around at night and it was quite loud. The kitchen was a mess and the bathroom became quite filthy later on. Quiet neighborhood and right next to underground. Also easy walk to catch the n9 bus to heathrow. 10 pound deposit per person in cash required.

Hi there, thank you for you review. We would have hoped you could have raised these cleanliness issues with either our receptionist or even the manager. Wi-Fi is for free in our common areas but for the connection in the room we charge £1 per 24 hours. We do apologize for the inconvenience caused by the group staying with us, we did our best for them to respect our quiet hours. We try to offer affordable accommodation for budget-minded travellers. We hopeto see you soon.

Hello, i will recommend to do not go to this place, bed are complete boxes, and i had a dispute with the bed, and they say me to find somewhere else and they will refund the money and after 10 minutes they do not wanted, have to say, than even the mistake was for the girl working on there, she was amazing worker, and a lack of training in this situation, Also the manager is disgraceful!!

• 25th Apr 2014
  • Spain

We are continuously seeking ways of improving our service's quality, so thank you for your feedback. We have a strict 24 hour cancellation policy so after checking in we do not refund the amount for the first night stay. We do apologize if this rule was not communicated clearly. We hope you will stay with us again.

Overall I would recommend to a friend. Pros: Curtains on beds allowed sleeping any time. Common room and kitchen modern and clean. Hot showers. Cons: Small draw lockers and after a few days I discovered if i yanked on mine it opened without a keycard. Showers weren't very private and were push button for 10 seconds worth.

The toilet and shower facilities were very far away from the room. The showers weren't clean, the water was cold and the dressing area was public and used by a great number of people, very uncomfortable. The room itself had no drinking water, which was unacceptable especially considering there were no toilets or drinking water taps on our floor but only two floors below. The bed was very small and old.

Dear guest, Thank you for your feedback. Our housekeeping/cleaning times between 06:30 am- 23:00. beside of our hourly check, we rely on guests to report any cleaning issues where we will get it resolved promptly.

I know there are negative reviews for Smart Russell Square, but of the four hostels I've used so far, this was my favorite. My friend and I were in the 14 bed dorm on the ground floor for five nights. Room pros: curtains, didn't need lockers, respectful roommates, clean bathroom. Cons: cold at night, bathroom was used by more than just dormmates and was often occupied. Hostel pros: NO LOUD MUSIC OR BAR, clean and large kitchen, clean and large showers, decent breakfast. Con: basement showers.

• 20th Apr 2014

Hi there! First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Smart Russell Square and your positive and constructive review. We will work on the issues you have mentioned but you will be happy to hear that we are undergoing a full refurbishment and all rooms will be en suite.

Small bed, fourth floor without bathrooms, we had to go down 1 floor and a half of stairs to go to the bathroom, the floor was noisy every time a person lifted woke up the others, the sink that was in the room did not work.

Thank you for review, could you please advise us on what way you did not like our hostel so we can improve our services. SRS Team

Location is great! I was only in for a couple hours but the privacy curtain meant that I could sleep even when people turned on lights. Bathrooms need some fixing/cleaning, and prices are a bit expensive, but I was happy with what it was and problem will try to stay again.

Hi Thank you for your feedback, its important for us and it will definitely help us to improve our hostel. We hope to see you again.

The beds are really small, if you're taller than 180 cm you won't fit! you can't control the temperature of the water in the showers and every min the water goes off, super annoying! Some of the staff were super nice but some were really not friendly and kind of pissed of helping you. There are only 2 power supplies in a room of 9 beds, and they're next to the door, so if you're next to the window you're screwed. The place is being remodeled which I think is super good

We appreciate your feedback, and yes, we are undergoing a refurbishment so there will be a power plug next to every bed and all the rooms are en suite. Thank you for the comment about our staff we will look into it.

Our room, in the basement, was extremelly small for seven people (student dorm size). The only window in the room, which faced the street, had no lock and could be opened from the outside. The two toilets on our floor were unclean, broken and one could not be locked. The corridor was under construction and there was a huge hole in the wall. At 10-11 am, cleaners would enter our room and clean, while we were still in it. The staff was rude and kept giving us looks and comments on our clothing (!)

• 17th Apr 2014
  • Sweden

We greatly appreciate your feedback. We are continuously seeking ways of improving our hostel's quality, and so will be considering your valuable comments when we do so. All maintenance issues are resolved promptly once reported. We are sorry you got the wrong impression about our staff. Hope you will stay with us again.

Cramped dorms with as many bunks as possible fitted into. Too bad no one thought about any luggage the guests might bring along - so all the floors are filled with stuff. Better don't be there in case of an emergency. My dorm also had just 2 plugs for 16 people. Showers were awful - only few with water that was actually warm and the smell in the shower rooms is just disgusting. Extra charge for basically anything - lockers, luggage storage etc.

We are continuously seeking ways of improving our hostel's quality so thank you for your comment. We are in the middle of refurbishment for every room to be en suite and with a plug next to every bed. The extra charges are there as not every guest needs every facility that we offer so you don't end up paying for the things you don't need whilst making a booking. We hope to see you again.