Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

The hostel would benefit from some extra toilets. I was at the basement and the closest toilet was on the ground floor at the very far end. Not very helpful when you wake up at night.

Hello and thank you for your feedback. The hostel is currently undergoing a full refurbishment. In January 2015 all rooms will be complete with en suite bathroom facilities.

Staff was friendly and helpful, and good location just around the corner from the Russell Square Tube Station. Breakfast is basic, just corn flakes, white bread, jam, tea. I did not see any coffee. Strange. The 6-bed dorm room is basic, tiny and narrow, bunks stacked three high. A big surprise was having to pay 1.5 pounds to ‘rent’ a locker: first time I have had to pay to rent a locker in a hostel while traveling three years around the world.

Hello and thank you for your feedback. The rates we offer does not include certain extras as a majority of our guests won't choose to use them and this way they aren't paying for a service they won't use. The basic breakfast we offer is free to all our guests.

It's a great find for me the beds are comfy and the duvets are warm. The only thing is, it is so hot that I cant sleep very well at all.

• 10th Dec 2014

Hello and thank you for your feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We apologise for the room being too warm and we are actively working on installing thermostat controls in every room; whereby guests will personally be able to control the room temperatures. Please come back and visit us soon.

Very loud building work starts every day at 8.30am in the hostel until Summer 2015

Don't forget to activate your locker using your key card before making the trek up to your room, staff might forget to tell you. Atmosphere is a bit grey/dull compared to the more cheerful nearby Clink or Generator. Could easily repaint and add furniture for a comfy feel. 6 bed dorms were clean, power outlets and privacy screens in each bunk. The English don't seem to value hand washing so don't expect any handsoap in the toilets.

We are very surprised by your comments, as we have just spent a great deal of money and resources to improve all our facilities to a very good standard. The key card to your room is automatically activated with a locker at the time of check-in and therefore it is a surprise to us that you would have to request for it to be activated again. We supply hand wash soap to all our communal hand wash basins. It is possible the hand wash soap dispenser you were using was out of soap.

Nice hostel. Free wi-fi only in common room. Towel costs 5 gbp.

Hi and thank you for your feedback. The internet is free in communal areas (kitchen, dining area, TV room and reception). However if you would like high speed internet in your room, it will cost £1 for 24 hours. We aim to provide clean, budget conscious accomodation in Central London, the rate we offer does not include certain extras as the majority of our guests won't choose to use them and this way they aren't paying for a service they won't use.

Stayed here for one night and booked with very late notice. Was good for a cheap place to stay in a nice central location however I would not recommend this place for any longer than a few nights. My room was very old, and very crowded with triple decker steel bunks. Was not a room you would look forward to coming back after a long day. Not very nice but for the location and price hard to find something better.

• 5th Dec 2014

Many thanks for staying with us and for providing your valuable feedback. Some of the things you've mentioned are being resolved right now. The hostel is undergoing a refurbishment and the rooms will all have en-suite bathrooms. Our Hostel is very conveniently located in Central London. We continue our endaevour to provide clean, safe, low-cost, budget accomodation.

I really like Smart Russel Square, easy to find and good transport opportunities! Hostel is clean and the staff has been friendly on my both times of stay. My room has always been clean and warm. 24 hour reception is a huge good side for traveller like me.

Clean, friendly staff. Kitchen facilities could do with an update. Location excellent for price.

I was booked into the hostel for 2 nights. On the first night at 0130 2 men burst into my room---a single room when I was sound asleep, saying they wanted to check if the shower was leaking. I was shocked and terrified. They left after a few minutes, however they were running up and downstairs for 1/2hr, and each time was afraid they would rush into my room again. I was so distressed by this unexpected and traumatic incident that I checked out next day and will not make future bookings.

• 25th Nov 2014

Excellent location. Hotel is cheap due to not many facilities. We slept there in the end of November 2014, there were big works of refurbishment in progress. Hostel didn't mention that at all ay the reception or the website. 8am be woken up with drills is not nice. Had much better sleeping in others.

Poor breakfast, stuff didn't return a 10£ deposit

The hostel was quiet at night so we got a great nights sleep. The hostel was located around the corner from a tube stop and a few blocks from the British Museum. I would definitely stay here again!

• 22nd Nov 2014

great location and therefore good price for staying in a great area. The room for 18 was really small but it was good enough for a weekend to save money.

Stayed here because they were pretty much the only ones to accept people underage since I was traveling with my brother and his friend. The atmosphere wasn't that great since everyone kept to themselves. I didn't have a bad stay but I would only recommend this hostel for someone who needs a place to crash, not solo travellers.

I slept in a 8 dorm female Hostel. People and space was ok. cleaning lady did not clean the bathroom ensuite one day. I didn't like that they charge for everything (locker 1,50/day; luggage storage 2 Pound, weight luggage 1 pound). breakfast is just toast, marmelade, white cornflakes, and tea/instant coffee. But all in all, for a weekend over this hostel is totally fine, especially because his central location. you can walk to soho, covent garden, piccadilly

Decent hotel though I would point out that I was in a 6 person ensuite room and at 5" 2' I felt very crammed in the beds and if I was laying I only had maybe 6-8 inches to spare so if you're tall you may want to reconsider.

Hi there, thank you for your feedback! Our bunks were chosen to suit guests up to 5ft10 which is taller than the average; however we are currently looking extending this for the comfort of our guests! We hope to see you again!

Very happy with my stay everything was perfect:)

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to share your Smart Backpackers experience after your recent stay. We hope to see you again!

Considering so many people are staying, it's not that dirty- but it could be cleaner. The staff is okay. However, the wifi didn't work for days, and if you want any degree of security at all, there's an additional charge. The breakfasts are quite simple as well, just toast with jam or cereal to choose from.

Hi there, thank you for your feedback! We are glad you found our hostel hygienic and clean! The internet is free in communal areas (kitchen, dining area, TV room and reception). However if you would like high speed internet in your room, it will cost £1 for 24 hours! We take the safety, wellbeing and comfort of all valued guest very seriously. In addition to our 24 hours reception, we also have 24 hour CCTV and night security every night. We hope to see you again!

Friendly staff, clean beds and management is clearly trying to upgrade. The price is still attractive if you want a central, posh area. But they squeeze so many people into the building that it's stressful and unpleasant. I spent 5 nights in a basement 15-bed dorm with no natural light, little space to move, and stacked 3-level bunks -- like a submarine. The common area is like a loud metro at rush hour. I couldn't wait to leave. Better to pay more for better atmosphere and wider space.

Hi there, thank you for your feedback! We are currently investing alot of money to improve the facilities in our hostel so very soon a majority of our rooms will be upgraded to include ensuite facilities. We are glad you found your experience good value for money. We have different types of dormitories to suit different types of travellers depending on their budget. Our goal is to provide clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. Thank you for staying with Smart Backpackers.