Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

The bathrooms were out of order and the showers needed cleaning. The location made it worthwhile, but I wouldn´t want to hang out in the common room. The breakfast could have been much better.

• 24th May 2014

Thank you for review, could you please advise us on what way you did not like our hostel so we can improve our services.

IT was great! the staff was very helpful and the rooms were always clean. Not a lot of a noise during the night and the location was just perfect.

• 23rd May 2014
  • Portugal

Thank you for review. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Now you can check our latest news, offers and photos on face book.

There were rats in the hostel. I was kept awake all night by hearing them moving and there was packaging from mouse traps behind the bed. I told reception staff they said they were aware of an ongoing rat problem. However, when I complained to the manager he shouted at me and said I was a liar and that the hostel had never had rats. I would recommend that tourists and backpackers avoid this hostel at all costs! Its truely awful!

• 23rd May 2014

Could not rent towels. Shower condition was poor

Thank you for choosing Smart Russll square. We do sell towels for £5 each.Unfortunatley we do not rent towels. SRS TEAM

Get rid of the triple high bunks for a start, they're all welded together so that when any one of 9 people move on their bed it shakes everyone else. Its just demoralising to live in a room like that. Making people pay for every little thing and jamming too many people in a room means the hostel is making way more cash at the expense of the traveller but its not reflected in the facilities, so this place is a pure rip off, dirty, smelly, cramped, overpriced, worst hostel so far, book elsewhere

Great place to stay, always enjoy it there.

just very good all my pass by this hostel.

• 21st May 2014
  • Argentina

Decent & safe location, fairly clean (especially considering the construction/renovation works). Typical hostel fare for breakfast - toast, cereal, milk, coffee/tea. Only complaint would be a lack of power sockets in the room.

Pros: Excellent location, right in front of the British Museum and walking distance to Covent Garden and Picadilly Circus. Very cheap. Good beds. Helpful staff. Cons: The hostel was under construction and the guys in my dorm room were presumably the workers, it was very awkward. Also wifi only works in the ground floor. Lots of kids probably on a fieldtrip. Not the best atmosphere. Suggestions: personal reading lights on each bed maybe?

For the price, it's a decent place to stay. Apparently they had overbooked my room, but the front desk clerk was very calm and nice to figure out a solution. It was really hot though, as if the A/C wasn't kicking in or anything. Also the bunk bed made me feel like I was sleeping in a crate.

• 17th May 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We are on process of installing window fans on every room to keep good ventilation process.

The idea of privacy pods wasn't more than just a curtain before the bed, but it worked out surprisingly well and made sure it was easier to sleep through returning dorm mates in the middle of the nights. The showers were terrible though, in the basement, not comfortable when you're on the 2nd floor, and no possibility for a bit of privacy at all. Including breakfast was poor as well.

Hi Thank you for your review, We have placed the showers together at one place for two main reasons, the first reason is to save energy by having one big boiler for these showers instead of small boilers on every floor. The second main reason is to ensure that there will always be a shower available for our guests to use unlike other hostels where guests have to walk around the hostel from one floor to another trying to find an empty shower.

Ordered Double Ensuite Private. Was given bunk beds for me and my wife. Ok kind of fun. The room was newly remodeled and clean, however, the bathroom was so small that water would leak out from the shower into the room. For the same price I could have stayed in one of the adjacent hotels with much better facilities. Would recommend for backpackers and students.

Dear guest, first of all I would like to thank you for choosing Smart Russell Square. Your comment is very valuable and we will look into the shower issue. Also we do not have any double rooms but only 2 bed private rooms and we are really sorry if it is not clear on the website, we will try to improve our content as well.

very pleased .

16 person room is quite compact, not much space to maneuver yourself or bag(s). Beds were small, only way I could sleep was in the fetal position as I am 6 feet tall. Location is good as British Museum is right around the corner and Russell Square underground stop is right there. Unfortunately for myself, I stayed there while there was a field trip of about 40 or so German students ages 14-16 ish were there, so socially it wan't very great.

I definitely think that the taps in the sink(s) (especially in the shower area) and soap dispensers need improving. Some soap dispensers need fixing. Other than that, the facilities are excellent. The staff are excellent too. I definitely will use again. Thank you to all the staff.

We are constantly seeking ways of improving our services so thank you for your valuable comments. We will resolve our maintenance issues promptly. It is really nice to hear you were impressed by our staff! Hope to see you again soon.

the shower room is far from room but breakfast is pretty good

• 11th May 2014
  • South Korea

The feel of the hostel is like that of an army barrack. You are stacked up on beds which go up 3-in-a-row. The showers are unpleasant (army barrack/boot camp kind of thing), and you have to walk through the common area/breakfast area to get there. They charge (!) you for useage of the internet in the rooms. In other words: while I like hostels and use them, I really felt too old for this place. Don't recommend unless you have no other choice. Though the location is excellent..

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. We are continuously seeking new ways of improving our service. We offer affordable accommodation for budget-minded travellers. You will be happy to hear that we are in process of refurbishment so all our rooms will be en-suite.

It was the worst hostel I've ever stayed in. I paid a lot of money to stay in a double room, which was definitely too small to be called a double room, additionally apart from the beds there were no other furniture. There was no elevator. Bathrooms were not on each floor, so you had to walk a bit to get to the bathroom. Shovers were in the basement. Everybody was making a lot of noise at all hours, but the staff didn't care about it. You had to pay if you wanted to leave your luggage.

• 9th May 2014
  • Poland

We are really sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us and we did not provide the service level we normally ensure to meet. We do not have double rooms but 2 bed private rooms with bunk beds and we apologize if you didn't know this information before booking. Additionally, we always ask our guests to respect our quiet time rule. You will be happy to hear that in Smart Russell Square we are undergoing a refurbishment do all our bathrooms are en suite.

I don´t like this type of big hostels. One kitchen for big amount of people. No tea and coffee in the evening for free like in many others hostels. Bedrooms OK. Showers in basement :( In kitchen wasn´t enough mugs. Location good.

Thanks so much for your feedback. We will look into all teh matters that you have mentioned to improve our services.

Generally is up to standard as a hostel. Excellent location. There are rooms for improvement. I would suggest there are toilets separately for males and females - e.g.one floor male, one floor for female. The bathrooms can have at least one permanent light bulb as it is quite frightening when there are less people and the sensor lights just turned off! Staff are hard working and maintenance of cleanliness and security are good. Thank you.

• 8th May 2014
  • Malaysia

Thank you for your appreciation for our location and staff, we are aware about the toilets issue and are solving it. The refurbishment will end around October and then all the rooms will be en suite with private more private toilets.