Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

Shower is very small, not enough room to hang stuff (easy fix with some pins in the wall), was happy to have a sink in the room. Breakfast I didnt even bother with since there was a "Pret a Manger" around the corner :) Room itself was nice (4 bedroom).

Hello and thank you for your feedback. We are currently investing a lot of money to improve the facilities in our hostel so very soon a majority of our rooms will be upgraded to include ensuite facilities. In the meantime, we have a large gender split shower room in our basement to ensure our guests don't have to wait for a shower.

Rude security staff at night, asking for many details of the room in a rude way instead of asking for ID to check if we are staying at the hostel. The breakfast was average, and when they say till 9:30 means you have to finish it before 9:30, otherwise the cleanning ladies take your breakfast away. 2 plugs per room (need to take a multiple plug adaptor).Beds were comfortable enough and toilets and showers were clean. Nice location close to the tube (1 min walk) and the center (15 min).

The showers are in the basement, the rooms and the beds are small, The receptionist was not in a good mood that day. The deposit is in pounds, so you will end up having 10 useless pounds when you leave.. The breakfast is free though... Oh and the people!! You will definitely find someone that will.break your standards of weirdness. Good luck!

Many thanks for staying with us and providing your valuable feedback. Some of the things you mentioned are being resolved right now. The hostel is undergoing a refurbishment and the rooms will all have en-suite bathrooms. We have different types of dormitories to suit different types of travellers depending on their budget. Our bunks were chosen to suit guests up to 5ft 10 which is taller than the average however we are currently looking in to ext

Wish the lockers were free

Wifi is terrible, especially if you pay £1 to have it in your room - it doesn't work at all. There is a restaurant nearby that has wifi however. The staff were EXTREMELY rude and not helpful at all; they knew very little about London. I felt as though I knew more about the city by the end of my stay. I would NOT stay here again, despite the fact that the location is good. The staff ruined my stay.

• 19th Dec 2014

Hello and thank you for your feedback. We have taken your comments on board as we are always striving to improve our services for our guests.

This place sas to big to m'y taste. It is functional, everything works and is clean, but no atmosphere. The staff is all foreigner and have limited knowledge of London. That said, price and location is pretty good.

Hello and thank you for your comments. Our aim is to provide our guests with clean, budget-conscious accomodation. Our staff provide a warm and friendly professional service and we review the training on a continual basis for improvement. We are happy you enjoyed your overall stay and we hope to see you again soon.

Great hostel if you are on a budget. I liked the curtains in front of my bed.

Hello and thank you for your feedback, we always enjoy receiving positive comments. Our main aim is to offer our guests clean, budget-conscious accommodation in Central London. The curtains are to ensure our guests feel as comfortable as possible during their stay. Please come back and visit us again soon!

I did not have a nice experience there. It's quite cheap, but still...there's a minimum you expect. The room I stayed in was too narrow. And since they charge extra for lockers, no one uses them. This means bags are left in the middle of the way, making the room even more cramped. I wouldn't recommend it for a stay longer than 2 nights.

Hello and thank you for your feedback. Our aim is to provide our guests with clean, budget-consioucs accomodation in Central London. The rates we offer does not include certain extras as the majority of our guests won't choose to use them. It means our guests are not paying for a service they won't want to use.

The location of the hostel and the price is the only thing that I would recommend. Because it was very dirty, the dorm was placed in the basement and the smell alone was horrible. There was no way of opening a window, and it was just dirty and really smelly. The toilets and the bathrooms was also very dirty, and I would´t recomment it to anyone. Sorry

• 15th Dec 2014
  • Denmark

Hello and thank you for your feedback. Some of the things you have mentioned are being resolved right now. The hostel is currently undergoing a full refurbishment and in January 2013 all our rooms will be complete with en-suite bathroom facilities.

Very loud building work starts every day at 8.30am until next Summer

The hostel would benefit from some extra toilets. I was at the basement and the closest toilet was on the ground floor at the very far end. Not very helpful when you wake up at night.

Hello and thank you for your feedback. The hostel is currently undergoing a full refurbishment. In January 2015 all rooms will be complete with en suite bathroom facilities.

Staff was friendly and helpful, and good location just around the corner from the Russell Square Tube Station. Breakfast is basic, just corn flakes, white bread, jam, tea. I did not see any coffee. Strange. The 6-bed dorm room is basic, tiny and narrow, bunks stacked three high. A big surprise was having to pay 1.5 pounds to ‘rent’ a locker: first time I have had to pay to rent a locker in a hostel while traveling three years around the world.

Hello and thank you for your feedback. The rates we offer does not include certain extras as a majority of our guests won't choose to use them and this way they aren't paying for a service they won't use. The basic breakfast we offer is free to all our guests.

It's a great find for me the beds are comfy and the duvets are warm. The only thing is, it is so hot that I cant sleep very well at all.

• 10th Dec 2014

Hello and thank you for your feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We apologise for the room being too warm and we are actively working on installing thermostat controls in every room; whereby guests will personally be able to control the room temperatures. Please come back and visit us soon.

Very loud building work starts every day at 8.30am in the hostel until Summer 2015

Don't forget to activate your locker using your key card before making the trek up to your room, staff might forget to tell you. Atmosphere is a bit grey/dull compared to the more cheerful nearby Clink or Generator. Could easily repaint and add furniture for a comfy feel. 6 bed dorms were clean, power outlets and privacy screens in each bunk. The English don't seem to value hand washing so don't expect any handsoap in the toilets.

We are very surprised by your comments, as we have just spent a great deal of money and resources to improve all our facilities to a very good standard. The key card to your room is automatically activated with a locker at the time of check-in and therefore it is a surprise to us that you would have to request for it to be activated again. We supply hand wash soap to all our communal hand wash basins. It is possible the hand wash soap dispenser you were using was out of soap.

Nice hostel. Free wi-fi only in common room. Towel costs 5 gbp.

Hi and thank you for your feedback. The internet is free in communal areas (kitchen, dining area, TV room and reception). However if you would like high speed internet in your room, it will cost £1 for 24 hours. We aim to provide clean, budget conscious accomodation in Central London, the rate we offer does not include certain extras as the majority of our guests won't choose to use them and this way they aren't paying for a service they won't use.

Stayed here for one night and booked with very late notice. Was good for a cheap place to stay in a nice central location however I would not recommend this place for any longer than a few nights. My room was very old, and very crowded with triple decker steel bunks. Was not a room you would look forward to coming back after a long day. Not very nice but for the location and price hard to find something better.

• 5th Dec 2014

Many thanks for staying with us and for providing your valuable feedback. Some of the things you've mentioned are being resolved right now. The hostel is undergoing a refurbishment and the rooms will all have en-suite bathrooms. Our Hostel is very conveniently located in Central London. We continue our endaevour to provide clean, safe, low-cost, budget accomodation.

I really like Smart Russel Square, easy to find and good transport opportunities! Hostel is clean and the staff has been friendly on my both times of stay. My room has always been clean and warm. 24 hour reception is a huge good side for traveller like me.

Clean, friendly staff. Kitchen facilities could do with an update. Location excellent for price.

I was booked into the hostel for 2 nights. On the first night at 0130 2 men burst into my room---a single room when I was sound asleep, saying they wanted to check if the shower was leaking. I was shocked and terrified. They left after a few minutes, however they were running up and downstairs for 1/2hr, and each time was afraid they would rush into my room again. I was so distressed by this unexpected and traumatic incident that I checked out next day and will not make future bookings.

• 25th Nov 2014