Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

The room itself was ok, very small of course, but clean. But it was the most unfriendly hostel i've every stayed in. The staff was rude and unfriendly and all of the common area facilities were really dirty and weird. So definetely not a social hostel. If you want to meet people or hang out in the hostel, don't o there

Hi. It's unfortunate you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Thanks for the feedback though.

love the privacy of the bunks with curtains

Hello and thank you for your feedback. The privacy and comfort of our valued guests during their stay is very important to us. thank you for choosing to stay with Smart Hostels we hope to see you again.

1)In the shower areas the water wet the walking areas if the shower areas were slightly slope in, it would be brelliant. 2)To put notice in each sleeping areas for the guests not to make noise and respect others. 3)not much hooks in sleeping rooms to hang up the clothes.

• 4th Mar 2015

Hello and thank you for your feedback. We have listened to your comments and have passed them on to the relevant departments. We do have notices throughout the hostel requesting guests to adhere to the quiet times between (10:00 pm and 06:00 am). Our night staff do their best to ensure the noise is kept to a minimum during these times. We are currently installing double hooks in all rooms. For future reference, we do offer lockers for rental at £1.50 per night. We hope to see you again soon!

Only stayed one night but the place was clean and cheap. There's an underground just around the corner that can get U to kings cross and from there anywhere in London. Good cheap place.

Hello and thank you for taking the time to share your Smart Backpacker experience after your recent stay. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Please like our Facebook page to receive the very latest news, offers and photos. You are welcome back anytime!

lovely place. i had a very pleasent stay

Hello and thank you for your valuable feedback and for rating the hostel so high. Please like our Facebook page to receive the very latest news, photos and offers. You are welcome back anytime!

Very poor breakfast, no fruits, no vegan, nothing healthy. Beds are too small, I am 185 tall and could not even lay in my bed properly. To much beds in the rooms, too tight, poor functionality of water bassin in the room. Windows could not be open wide. Showers on 1st floor all out of order, charging cash even for security box under the bed. Charging 5 pounds for E-adapter. No elevators. This is one of the worst hostels in the world Ive been visiting.

• 28th Feb 2015

I have to say that the pics from the website are a bit misleading. But I had a great time there, the staff was helpful and nice. I thought the dorms would a bit bigger, but since I was going there to shower and sleep it worked for me. Location is perfect and the price was also in accordance with the localization. I would recommend. Ohh and there was also breakfast included. Yay :D

The lockers in the room didn't function at all and this was not fixed during my 3-day stay. The rooms were incredibly small. Very uncomfortable, almost impossible to move about in when more than 2 people were in my 6-person "room." I'm surprised it isn't some kind of a fire hazard. The "en suite" bathrooms were also tiny, windowless, plastic 'units' more than anything.

• 15th Feb 2015

Very small rooms, not enough plugs to charge cell phones. The bathrooms weren't as clean as they sould be, especially at night.

Pros: * Decent kitchen setup, plenty of fridge space. * Beds (in the 4x dorm anyway) are private with their own curtains. Pretty solid. * Great area! ~5mins from tube and a Tesco. * Clean bathrooms. * Nice staff. Cons: * The beds aren't suitable for a tall person (I touched head and heel when on my back). I'm 6'3"/1.91m * Bit noisy in AM due to remodel. * Window didn't open very much, which made the room very hot (radiator was off). Small beds are what make it so I wouldn't return.

• 13th Feb 2015
  • ryanbruce

is really bad hostel!

Pros: - curtains on bed for additional privacy - location!! Cons: - too stuffy in rooms -system of identifying free bed unclear. There was a tag on every bed in the room I was assigned to and no one knew which ones were actually free -lockers have to be paid for -wifi didn't work (even though staff said it did on ground floor rooms)

good location, its like a big factory, no wifi in the room, all people use wifi in the lobby, signal too slow that I cannot talk on Skype, free breakfast is ok but service finished too early at 9:30am, using locker need to pay extra k

Hello and many thanks for staying with us and for providing your valuable feedback. Our hostel is conveninently located in Central London. We continue our endaevour to provide clean, safe, low-cost, budget accomodation. The internet is free in communal areas (Kitchen, dining area, TV room and reception). However, if you would like high speed internet in your room, it will cost £1 for 24 hours. We offer an all-you-can-eat basic breakfast it includes fresh toast, cereal, teas and coffees.

Another stay at the hostel for a quick social trip and yet again everything was spot on. I notice that some more work is being undertaken in the lounge area to make the seating area larger - which is good. Staff were always visibible cleaning and ensuring everywhere was kept to a high standard and as always Reception staff were very welcoming. Thanks Guys

Hello and thank you for choosing to stay with Smart Backpackers. You are welcome back anytime!

Stayed in a 2 bed private room and it was really (really) small. The hostel is a bit noisy. Everything else was just ok. Great location.

thanks for a good atmosphere and a nice Staff.

• 3rd Feb 2015
  • Switzerland

Hi and thank you for rating the hostel so high. Please like our Fcebook page, to receive the latest news, offer and photos. We hope to see you again soon!

Russell Square is a bit farther off the main drag than you might initially think, although they are conveniently close to the Russell Square Tube station. No curfew meant we had several drunk people wake everyone in our room up at 2:30am, but what can you do. "Free breakfast" meant cheap white bread with butter, and/or a bowl of corn flakes. Linens smelled clean, but were stained. Staff members were also slightly rude and distracted whilst we checked in. Not unexpected for a busy hostel though.

• 31st Jan 2015

it is cheap ... but it offer also a cheap solution very very cheap breakfast very very cheap arrangements in the 15-bed rooms

• 31st Jan 2015

Excellent location, competitive prices. Everything else leaves a whole lot to desire.

The place was a bit of a mess due to a renovation, and looks like a labyrinth downstairs. The water didn't warm enough, so I took a couple of cold baths there. People who live there seem to want to rule the place, making the common room unpleasant to be there. But the location is excellent.