Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

very pleased .

Thank you for review. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Now you can check our latest news, offers and photos on face book.

16 person room is quite compact, not much space to maneuver yourself or bag(s). Beds were small, only way I could sleep was in the fetal position as I am 6 feet tall. Location is good as British Museum is right around the corner and Russell Square underground stop is right there. Unfortunately for myself, I stayed there while there was a field trip of about 40 or so German students ages 14-16 ish were there, so socially it wan't very great.

I definitely think that the taps in the sink(s) (especially in the shower area) and soap dispensers need improving. Some soap dispensers need fixing. Other than that, the facilities are excellent. The staff are excellent too. I definitely will use again. Thank you to all the staff.

We are constantly seeking ways of improving our services so thank you for your valuable comments. We will resolve our maintenance issues promptly. It is really nice to hear you were impressed by our staff! Hope to see you again soon.

the shower room is far from room but breakfast is pretty good

• 11th May 2014
  • South Korea

The feel of the hostel is like that of an army barrack. You are stacked up on beds which go up 3-in-a-row. The showers are unpleasant (army barrack/boot camp kind of thing), and you have to walk through the common area/breakfast area to get there. They charge (!) you for useage of the internet in the rooms. In other words: while I like hostels and use them, I really felt too old for this place. Don't recommend unless you have no other choice. Though the location is excellent..

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. We are continuously seeking new ways of improving our service. We offer affordable accommodation for budget-minded travellers. You will be happy to hear that we are in process of refurbishment so all our rooms will be en-suite.

It was the worst hostel I've ever stayed in. I paid a lot of money to stay in a double room, which was definitely too small to be called a double room, additionally apart from the beds there were no other furniture. There was no elevator. Bathrooms were not on each floor, so you had to walk a bit to get to the bathroom. Shovers were in the basement. Everybody was making a lot of noise at all hours, but the staff didn't care about it. You had to pay if you wanted to leave your luggage.

• 9th May 2014
  • Poland

We are really sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us and we did not provide the service level we normally ensure to meet. We do not have double rooms but 2 bed private rooms with bunk beds and we apologize if you didn't know this information before booking. Additionally, we always ask our guests to respect our quiet time rule. You will be happy to hear that in Smart Russell Square we are undergoing a refurbishment do all our bathrooms are en suite.

I don´t like this type of big hostels. One kitchen for big amount of people. No tea and coffee in the evening for free like in many others hostels. Bedrooms OK. Showers in basement :( In kitchen wasn´t enough mugs. Location good.

Thanks so much for your feedback. We will look into all teh matters that you have mentioned to improve our services.

Generally is up to standard as a hostel. Excellent location. There are rooms for improvement. I would suggest there are toilets separately for males and females - e.g.one floor male, one floor for female. The bathrooms can have at least one permanent light bulb as it is quite frightening when there are less people and the sensor lights just turned off! Staff are hard working and maintenance of cleanliness and security are good. Thank you.

• 8th May 2014
  • Malaysia

Thank you for your appreciation for our location and staff, we are aware about the toilets issue and are solving it. The refurbishment will end around October and then all the rooms will be en suite with private more private toilets.

Good location, near to center (15min walking to oxford street). I stayed on 8 hostels in london and this is once of worse hostels (about quality-price). WHen i have been there were 2 schools ( teenagers about 12-16years) and was very noice and the "staff" of hostel didn't make anything If you want to leave youre bag on the last day you MUST PAY 2pounts.. it's my first time where I need to pay for this.. The breakfast was very simple only cereals with toast bread. Small beds for tall people.

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are seeking new ways to improve our services. We can assure you our staff did ask both the group leaders and teenagers to respect our rule of quiet time. We do not include some of the charges in our price so guests don't end up paying for the things they don't need. Hope you will satay with us again.

Thank you for keeping this youth hostel pretty clean and tidy. all day long. Curtains on beds is a very good idea.

• 8th May 2014

Thank you for review. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Now you can check our latest news, offers and photos on Facebook.

The construction occurring onsite was consistent throughout the night making it difficult to sleep. The window in the basement and in the room opened right into one of the areas where people were working.

Hey! First of all, thanks for choosing Smart Russell Square while you were in London. Unfortunately, sometimes we have unforeseen maintenance issues. Nevertheless, we try not to affect guests with these. We apologize for any inconvenience it might have caused you and we hope to see you soon! SRS Team

Dirty place, the rooms and toilets. Rude staff. Lady practically screamed at me when I was finishing my breakfast 10 minutes past the breakfast time. I wasn't even taking extra servings then, just eating what I had taken in the allocated time. A lot of additional charges for lockers and baggage storage. No lifts Noisy due to thin walls and sewage pipes. Wifi only in the common areas. Only redeeming factor is that it's near a tube station. But many hostels have that too.

We are concerned you found the quality of the facilities below the standards we normally ensure to meet. We would have hoped you could have raised these issues with either our receptionist or even the manager. We are sorry about this. Wi-Fi is for free in the common areas and for the access in the rooms we charge £1 per 24 hours.

The worst place that I stayed!!!!

Thank you for review, could you please advise us on what way you did not like our hostel so we can improve our services.

I was DISGUSTED! the state of the Hostel was smelly, sticky and dirty. I did not even bother to shower, favouring instead to book at another Hostel, asked at new hostel to check in early just so I could shower. Making and unmaking my own bed? no actual WiFi anywhere but one small room. Please tell me what I actually paid for?

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. We would have hoped you could have raised these cleanliness issues with either our receptionist or even the manager. We offer affordable accommodation in the heart of London with free breakfast. We have different room types for different budgets, also it is accustomed that in 9 bed dorms guest make their own beds. Wi-Fi is free in all common areas and for the access in the room we charge £1 per 24hours.

Could use some updates especially to the washroom and shower facilities. Otherwise everything was as expected but great location.

The shower was horrible, it was a wired location to be at a basement, and needed to pass through the lobby and common area. Water was freezing cold in the morning! Got a pillow with words printed on the pillow cover, and the green ink fell off, made HALF MY FACE GREEN when I woke up. There was a renovation going on and the workers working just outside the window of my room put loud music on and opened the window. Literally see each other face to face! IT WAS 8 IN THE MORNING AND I WANTED SLEEP!

Thank you for your review and choosing to stay with us. We are really sorry for all the inconvenience caused by the refurbishment, but as you have mentioned we have couple of issues we are trying to resolve like the showers. We are working for all our rooms to be en suite.

Location is close to schools, so the hostel is full of students from all around. There are no bathrooms available in all the floors and showers are located in the basement. Lockers and luggage storage are available for some extra pounds.

The showers and the bedrooms are Uncomfortable!

We are continuously seeking ways of improving our hostel's quality and that is why we are undergoing a complete refurbishment so all the rooms are en suite.

Unfortunately for me my room's overhead light was not working when i arrived in the evening of my first night. unable to see what i was doing around my bed and belongings I reported this problem to the front desk immediately and was told maintenance would be notified. No given time when the issue would be fixed was told to me. This inconvenient and unprofessional problem was not resolved the next morning and was still not resolved my following second night. I had to ask for a flashlight

• 25th Apr 2014

Hi there, we are terribly sorry for this situation. Thank you for your comment, we will investigate this matter so there is no problem like this in the future.

The rooms were cramped standard Smart hostels. The beds were curtain style bunk beds. Wifi was fairly weak and didn't work in the room. There were many children running around at night and it was quite loud. The kitchen was a mess and the bathroom became quite filthy later on. Quiet neighborhood and right next to underground. Also easy walk to catch the n9 bus to heathrow. 10 pound deposit per person in cash required.

Hi there, thank you for you review. We would have hoped you could have raised these cleanliness issues with either our receptionist or even the manager. Wi-Fi is for free in our common areas but for the connection in the room we charge £1 per 24 hours. We do apologize for the inconvenience caused by the group staying with us, we did our best for them to respect our quiet hours. We try to offer affordable accommodation for budget-minded travellers. We hopeto see you soon.