Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

Smelly bathroom, filthy bedroom, you have to make yr own bed to make sure you get clean sheets, which says it all. The staff is rude and unless you re stuck, I would not recommend this place.

We are sorry to hear that your stay with us was not as good as expected. Our cleaning staff start as early as 6.30 am and finish at 10 pm. We do regular check to maintain good cleaning quality. However cleaning issues get reported to receptionists by guests, It will be dealt with promptly. We will pass on your comments.

Rooms are small, no free lockers, not exactly the most social of hostels

Thank you for your review. Some of our rooms may seem smaller than elsewhere, however our rates are very competitive for central London. The prices we offer do not include locker charges and towels as most of our customers do not need to use them. Therefore they do not end up paying for things they do not need. We hope we will see you again.

The hostel was perfect for my one night stay in London, visiting a university. It was convenient, comfortable, safe, and good value for money.

• 1st May 2015
  • Northern Ireland

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Now you can check our latest news, offers and photos on facebook . You are welcome back anytime!

Almost no sockets in the hostel. Its really difficult to charge the battery of my mobile. Showers lockers were out of service.

Have to make own beds which is very difficult when you arrive at 10pm and are on the very top of a 3 story bunk. Lockers wouldn't open to store stuff. Staff were not very helpful. Breakfast was good!

• 29th Apr 2015

Rooms have no ventilation

• 29th Apr 2015
  • Malaysia

This hostel is definitely not one I'll be booking again, despite the good central location and nice staff. The 8 bed dorms are very small (so are beds) and there are only 2 plugs near the door for everyone. Noisy electric drawers (extra charge) under beds can wake you up in the morning. The floor trembles when people walk, it can wake you up. The showers are collective (hello nudity!). Lifeless lobby with very few plugs near the seats, and you're not allowed to move seats while recharging (!?)

In the dormitory room with bathroom the sound of ventilator is intolerable, especially at night. I would definetly recommend this hostel only as a cheap place to sleep in the center. Do not expect anything more for this money. Breakfast is quite poor, location is good, staff is ok.

The hostel's staff is friendly, however, would add value if they knew about touristy things. Positives: 1. Hostel is around the corner from Piccadilly line, so an easy walk. 2. Hostel is near to lots of restaurants 3. Makes you feel safe since all doors require swiping in. 4. Breakfast has lot of items Negatives: 1. Hostel could be cleaner 2. Please install a hook rack in the bathroom stalls so I can hang more than a shirt while taking shower. 3. Please install bigger sinks

• 24th Apr 2015

our room didn' t have more than two plugs and we were 12 people. Not enough

• 24th Apr 2015
  • Spain

Great location, very small rooms and beds but hey it's London

Overall, a very enjoyable stay. Breakfast was a nice surprise.

It was the perfect choice for me. I really enjoyed my time at the hostel. The staff were so friendly and helpful as they really showed there help with all guests and myself. Loved when I walked in as they had there smiles on to make you feel it's like your home. Rooms, common room and showers were cleaned at any time of the day when you pass by. Great choice for me and my friends for a weekend away.

• 20th Apr 2015

The atmosphere was out of my head... The staff were really helpful... The hostels management was perfect and I really give all my credit on the managers help on how he supports the staff while he was around... I would diffently book my next week off to stay there on the price wise and atosmphere...

• 20th Apr 2015

Loved the staff and the hostel

• Turkey

Two words that made my stay good Staff & Atmosphere

• 19th Apr 2015

We had a really good experience there. It is very well located, clean with a good breakfast. They give you keys for the room which is rare in shared bedrooms but makes you fell certain that only the people staying there can get in. The staff is helpful enough for the amount of people staying there, it is a bit crowded. The only thing to improv is the wifi connection, it works only in a few spots of the hostel.

The beds were a bit noisy. Large common area. Staff were friendly and helpful. Very close to the underground! Shower room was a bit lacking

Staff were friendly. Bed linens seemed newly cleaned. Some of the bathrooms were quite dirty, the dryers didn't work and there was no paper towel. Beds had curtains for privacy. There are electrical outlets in the bed units so you can charge your phone while sleeping. Rooms are quite cramped, people put their luggage on the floor. Common area is too small and the atmosphere was sort of off, Wifi was awful, really slow. Overall though it was good value for the cheap price I paid.

• 15th Apr 2015
  • Sweden

My friends and I only stayed for one night and I'm happy it was only one night. Fairly low price but they charge you for everything, the atmosphere is terrible, and I found the staff to be completely rude and even mocking sometimes. Although it was a clean place I will not stay in this hostel again.