Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

Rooms were ok, however the only lockers in the rooms are electronic (that you have to rent) and my locker wasn't secure. Unfortunately the only replacement available wouldn't open so I was stuck. Showers are all in one big block for the entire hostel, there are lockers available, but again you need to organise a key with reception (this may have just been a deposit). It would really make life easier if I could use my own padlock on these!

• 31st May 2014
  • New Zealand

cleanliness can be improved especially in the bathrooms and toilets.

There wasn't a very pleasant atmosphere there, really.

• 30th May 2014
  • Sweden

This one has slipped in my estimation, I had been impressed when I first visited. To be fair they are renovating, still the sight of half a ton of plaster outside the room is unusual. I had problems getting a duvet, almost needed to call down the wrath of god before one was produced. Location is of course, still excellent. Good common area where I enjoyed the banter of the drifters. But the weekend had arrived and prices had bolted, somewhere else was required.

Everything was OK, but these bathrooms in basement were terrible :( Cabines are small and you have to press them to use. If you are enough tall is OK but if you are for example 165 cm your head ( hair !) will be completely wet :( And toilet are both for men and women :( very uncomfortable :( Maybe you can change it ? E.g. on one floor for women and on the second floor for men ? But wifi works and basic breakfast is OK.

Never again! Had to pay extra for wifi, baggage lockers in the room, baggage keeping and lots more. 1 room in the basement with ~14 showers for the WHOLE hostel. Not even toilets on every floor. Water was boiling hot and impossible to wash hands,because cold water didn't work. Breakfast was ok but not good. For the expensive room very bad.

• 29th May 2014

Maid could get into our private lockers, so now security there, might as well of left our belongings on the bed. The room had a leak in the roof so had a bucket to catch the drips. Dripping noise all night, not good. Showers only had one speed, full blast. Location of showers in the basement not ideal. Toilets were meant to be on every floor but 2 floors had their doors boarded up. Very, very basic. Worst backpackers I have been in.

• 27th May 2014

I wouldn't stay here again. You have to walk down to the sketchy basement in order to take a shower in which the lights are motion-sensed, so you might take a shower in the dark if people aren't roaming around (happened to my friend). The rooms were very hot and there was construction work going on every morning at 8am in which the workers would open our windows (not sure why that is). The breakfast is free but it is warm milk and soggy cereal. The "free wifi" doesn't even work inside the rooms.

Great location and a good atmosphere, and an excellent price.

Thank you for your review and rating the hostel so high. Now you can follow our latest news and offers on face book.

1. they used to use order tongue and attitude to the customers. all their attitude shows they are one, the customers are 2. 2. the water supply there is extramely horrible. i always joked they must come from Sahara then one staff told me he comes form Arab Bay, sorry forget the country name again. 3. some of staffs there are disgusting. one woman told me, she run away immediately when she saw one of them staying in the mix dorm room and had to book another hostel for 5 days.

The bathrooms were out of order and the showers needed cleaning. The location made it worthwhile, but I wouldn´t want to hang out in the common room. The breakfast could have been much better.

• 24th May 2014

Thank you for review, could you please advise us on what way you did not like our hostel so we can improve our services.

IT was great! the staff was very helpful and the rooms were always clean. Not a lot of a noise during the night and the location was just perfect.

• 23rd May 2014
  • Portugal

Thank you for review. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Now you can check our latest news, offers and photos on face book.

There were rats in the hostel. I was kept awake all night by hearing them moving and there was packaging from mouse traps behind the bed. I told reception staff they said they were aware of an ongoing rat problem. However, when I complained to the manager he shouted at me and said I was a liar and that the hostel had never had rats. I would recommend that tourists and backpackers avoid this hostel at all costs! Its truely awful!

• 23rd May 2014

Could not rent towels. Shower condition was poor

Thank you for choosing Smart Russll square. We do sell towels for £5 each.Unfortunatley we do not rent towels. SRS TEAM

Get rid of the triple high bunks for a start, they're all welded together so that when any one of 9 people move on their bed it shakes everyone else. Its just demoralising to live in a room like that. Making people pay for every little thing and jamming too many people in a room means the hostel is making way more cash at the expense of the traveller but its not reflected in the facilities, so this place is a pure rip off, dirty, smelly, cramped, overpriced, worst hostel so far, book elsewhere

Great place to stay, always enjoy it there.

just very good all my pass by this hostel.

• 21st May 2014
  • Argentina

Decent & safe location, fairly clean (especially considering the construction/renovation works). Typical hostel fare for breakfast - toast, cereal, milk, coffee/tea. Only complaint would be a lack of power sockets in the room.

Pros: Excellent location, right in front of the British Museum and walking distance to Covent Garden and Picadilly Circus. Very cheap. Good beds. Helpful staff. Cons: The hostel was under construction and the guys in my dorm room were presumably the workers, it was very awkward. Also wifi only works in the ground floor. Lots of kids probably on a fieldtrip. Not the best atmosphere. Suggestions: personal reading lights on each bed maybe?

For the price, it's a decent place to stay. Apparently they had overbooked my room, but the front desk clerk was very calm and nice to figure out a solution. It was really hot though, as if the A/C wasn't kicking in or anything. Also the bunk bed made me feel like I was sleeping in a crate.

• 17th May 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We are on process of installing window fans on every room to keep good ventilation process.