Smart Russell Square Reviews

71 Guilford Street, London, England

Great hostel if you are on a budget. I liked the curtains in front of my bed.

I did not have a nice experience there. It's quite cheap, but still...there's a minimum you expect. The room I stayed in was too narrow. And since they charge extra for lockers, no one uses them. This means bags are left in the middle of the way, making the room even more cramped. I wouldn't recommend it for a stay longer than 2 nights.

The location of the hostel and the price is the only thing that I would recommend. Because it was very dirty, the dorm was placed in the basement and the smell alone was horrible. There was no way of opening a window, and it was just dirty and really smelly. The toilets and the bathrooms was also very dirty, and I would´t recomment it to anyone. Sorry

• 15th Dec 2014
  • Denmark

Hello and thank you for your feedback. Some of the things you have mentioned are being resolved right now. The hostel is currently undergoing a full refurbishment and in January 2013 all our rooms will be complete with en-suite bathroom facilities.

The hostel would benefit from some extra toilets. I was at the basement and the closest toilet was on the ground floor at the very far end. Not very helpful when you wake up at night.

Hello and thank you for your feedback. The hostel is currently undergoing a full refurbishment. In January 2015 all rooms will be complete with en suite bathroom facilities.

Staff was friendly and helpful, and good location just around the corner from the Russell Square Tube Station. Breakfast is basic, just corn flakes, white bread, jam, tea. I did not see any coffee. Strange. The 6-bed dorm room is basic, tiny and narrow, bunks stacked three high. A big surprise was having to pay 1.5 pounds to ‘rent’ a locker: first time I have had to pay to rent a locker in a hostel while traveling three years around the world.

Hello and thank you for your feedback. The rates we offer does not include certain extras as a majority of our guests won't choose to use them and this way they aren't paying for a service they won't use. The basic breakfast we offer is free to all our guests.

It's a great find for me the beds are comfy and the duvets are warm. The only thing is, it is so hot that I cant sleep very well at all.

• 10th Dec 2014

Very loud building work starts every day at 8.30am in the hostel until Summer 2015

• 7th Dec 2014

Don't forget to activate your locker using your key card before making the trek up to your room, staff might forget to tell you. Atmosphere is a bit grey/dull compared to the more cheerful nearby Clink or Generator. Could easily repaint and add furniture for a comfy feel. 6 bed dorms were clean, power outlets and privacy screens in each bunk. The English don't seem to value hand washing so don't expect any handsoap in the toilets.

Nice hostel. Free wi-fi only in common room. Towel costs 5 gbp.

Wir waren hier für eine Nacht und es war die schlimmste Unterkunft in der wir je waren! Es war so laut wie auf einem Bahnhof und das Zimmer hat gestunken wie auf einer Müllhalde(Fenster können nicht geöffnet werden)! Das Personal ist auch nicht das freundlichste. Dieses Hostel ähnelt einer Bruchbude und der Preis dafür ist unverschämt! Wer in einer Besenkammer übernachten möchte, ist hier genau richtig. Wir kommen nie wieder!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 6th Dec 2014

Séjour agréable, mais nuits dérangées par des personnes séjournant à l' hostel bruyants,sans faire attention aux autres, claquant les portes plusieurs fois et se levant à 3 h du matin pour faire les bagages...

• 5th Dec 2014

I really like Smart Russel Square, easy to find and good transport opportunities! Hostel is clean and the staff has been friendly on my both times of stay. My room has always been clean and warm. 24 hour reception is a huge good side for traveller like me.

Segunda vez que estuve en este hostel pero me pareció demasiado pagar 7 euros más en viernes que el resto de la Semana cuando este hostel no aporta mucha seguridad y ni siquiera toallas.Las camas son como un grillero sin espacio en el que tropiezas con el calzado de todo el mundo.Mucho ruido en la planta superior todo el día. ..se escuchaban rusos pegando golpes incluso a las 11 de la noche.

Clean, friendly staff. Kitchen facilities could do with an update. Location excellent for price.

• 26th Nov 2014

I was booked into the hostel for 2 nights. On the first night at 0130 2 men burst into my room---a single room when I was sound asleep, saying they wanted to check if the shower was leaking. I was shocked and terrified. They left after a few minutes, however they were running up and downstairs for 1/2hr, and each time was afraid they would rush into my room again. I was so distressed by this unexpected and traumatic incident that I checked out next day and will not make future bookings.

• 25th Nov 2014

Excellent location. Hotel is cheap due to not many facilities. We slept there in the end of November 2014, there were big works of refurbishment in progress. Hostel didn't mention that at all ay the reception or the website. 8am be woken up with drills is not nice. Had much better sleeping in others.

great location and therefore good price for staying in a great area. The room for 18 was really small but it was good enough for a weekend to save money.

I slept in a 8 dorm female Hostel. People and space was ok. cleaning lady did not clean the bathroom ensuite one day. I didn't like that they charge for everything (locker 1,50/day; luggage storage 2 Pound, weight luggage 1 pound). breakfast is just toast, marmelade, white cornflakes, and tea/instant coffee. But all in all, for a weekend over this hostel is totally fine, especially because his central location. you can walk to soho, covent garden, piccadilly

Decent hotel though I would point out that I was in a 6 person ensuite room and at 5" 2' I felt very crammed in the beds and if I was laying I only had maybe 6-8 inches to spare so if you're tall you may want to reconsider.

Hi there, thank you for your feedback! Our bunks were chosen to suit guests up to 5ft10 which is taller than the average; however we are currently looking extending this for the comfort of our guests! We hope to see you again!

Very happy with my stay everything was perfect:)

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to share your Smart Backpackers experience after your recent stay. We hope to see you again!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7