Smart Sea View Brighton Reviews

9-12 St Catherines Terrace Hove, Brighton, Brighton, England

It's a old hostel situated far away to Brighton Prie, in the Hove area, It's 30 min walking. The breakfast was poor, noise, and so strange !!.

Beds very small with metal railing meant having to cramp when sleeping.

• 19th Apr 2014

The room itself was clean and tidy but very hot!! We missed breakfast so can't comment on it. You need to pay a £10 cash deposit for the key which you get back on checking out. Also, if you pay on card you get charged 5% - however, the woman on reception was fine with me walking to a cash point to get the money to avoid the charge. The parking around the hostel is all permit or pay and display so you need to walk for ages to park for free.

What is the point in having lock boxes but no keys?

• 19th Apr 2014
  • Switzerland

It was quite unpleasent to keep being submitted to drugs(tobacco!?) intoxication either through the windows or even from abuse within the sleeping room. I must be fair because the staff let me change room after I com[plained and the room was fine there. The management rewards the smokers/abusers with lower prices instead of making them pay for their personal choices(the nuisance they submit other people to). This is the motive why I did not rebook.

Very tired old hostel, clean but probably wouldn't stay again.

• 12th Apr 2014
  • New Zealand

Notices were up to be quiet at night,both outside hostel and in dormitories. A few individuals were very noisy in dorms talking on phones + talking loudly. They were reminded that others needed to be up early + wished to sleep,but took a long time to quieten down. Kitchen facilities were good, a toaster would also of been good. Staff were polite,hostel was clean + tidy,I would recommend it to others. A bit far out for central Brighton,but walkable + close to the seafront.

• 5th Apr 2014
  • Scotland

The bathrooms were pretty dirty, some of the staff members were not that helpful and seemed to be bothered by our prescence at all. Others were helpful. It was expensive for the bed we had to make ourselves, we had to go back to reception and ask where the bed sheets were. There was no security. What little there was were lockers that were all bent out of shape so they could not even be closed let alone locked.

Damp, broken toilet, hard wobbly bed, guy smoking pot, guy throwing up, loud noises from up stairs, other guests, and outside till 5am had no sleep and they still charged me for a night I didn't stay as I left very unhappy and found somewhere quiet to sleep very disappointing.

It was a mistake for me to book this hotel and I would not readily recommend it. If you want to see the problems then I suggest you visit it yourself.

• 4th Apr 2014

A friend and I decided to go on a last minute weekend trip to Brighton. We ended up booking Smart Sea View purely because it was the only place left which wasn't over £150 for a night. We were slightly dubious after reading a few negative reviews but we were pleasantly surprised with the pleasant stay we had. The twin room was perfect for us, it was a good size, had a tv, and most importantly was clean. We missed breakfast so I can't comment on the food. I would definitely recommend this hostel.

• 15th Mar 2014

Very nice staff, a little but far from the centre but there are buses all the time, even at night! It's worth booking this hostel!

Nice location near the sea front

The common room pool table was out of order and the wifi wasn't working also the parking is a pain but overall good staff were really helpful and friendly there was 14 of us that stayed

• 8th Mar 2014

I received a very friendly welcome from Ivan who took time to explain all about my stay & offered help and advice regarding parking. I could not fault his enthusiasm in any way. The Breakfast staff were very friendly. I will definately make Hostelworld my first choice when looking for accomodation in the future.

• 7th Mar 2014

fantastic

good atmosphere nice staff and customer

Me and 9 of my friends booked out the 10 person room at around £19 each - which was a bargain! We had an ensuite, clean bedding and it was very warm and cosy. We only came to brighton for a night out but the room was nice enough to have our pre drinks there and chill out for a few hours. We did have our music on maybe a little loud (it was saturday night!) but the staff just knocked on our door and politely asked us to turn it down which was absolutely fine! Its not 5* but its great value!

• 25th Jan 2014

The only improvements I would make is 1. Possibly adding more lifts. 2. 100% having bacon as part of breakfast and 3. either more insulated windows or double glaze.

• 31st Dec 2013

Very basic accommodation but it was very cheap so no complaints :) they did offer breakfast but we didn't wake up early enough!

• 31st Dec 2013