Smart Sea View Brighton Reviews

9-12 St Catherines Terrace Hove, Brighton, Brighton, England

No sheet sleeping bag, no curtains, no lockers,

• 27th Jun 2015

The hostel should make sure that there are curtains on windows to stop light waking you up , enough working lockers for all and change the duvet cover every time. It is disgusting to not wash these for each customer.

• 6th Jun 2015

Hotel sea view was fine for a night but not for any longer. Shower didn't work, weird noises were waking Me up during the night. Apart from that location was good and fairly reasonable price

• 6th Jun 2015

Hostel is incredibly average. I stayed here b/c it was a bit closer to Wildlife festival & cheaper than other hostels, So I guess you get what you paid for. Ive been to Brighton before, I knew this hostel wasnt the best location but it was convenient for what I was there 4. The staff was somewhat rude & not really helpful. the atmosphere was good but Im not sure how good it would have been if there wasn't a festival going on. stay at smart beach Brighton for close to city centre/pier/better stay

An awful place to stay! Everything is dirty and old! The staff are rude and it's really far away from everything, I understand it's budget but there are certain standards that have to be met - and I would honestly advise you not to stay here no matter what!!!

Me and my 4 friends came down from Portsmouth to celebrate my birthday. Brighton was amazing, such a shame that the hotel ruined the experience. I understand it's meant to be a "cheap" place to stay, but manners and kindness don't cost a thing and so your hotel could have been the Ritz, but your particular member of staff would still haven't ruined it for us all and quite a few other guests. Unfortunately I don't have enough characters remaining, but feel free to check trip advisor or email me

• 30th May 2015

First things first, the pictures that are shown in the website are totally the opossite. The beds we're supose to have 'curtains', so that each person would have their private area, but they didn't. And that was the only reason I accepted sleeping in a room of 20 beds full of strangers. It seemed like there was no security at the reception because everyone was so noisy during the late hours, it was a strugle to sleep because of the people hanging out outside of the room.

• 29th May 2015
  • Portugal

Definitely not one of the top 10 on my list. I stayed in a doom. There were 8 beds, but only 4 lockers, which makes no sense. It took at least 20 mins to walk from the pier to the hostel. btw, i walk fast. The receptionist did not provide any useful advice about traveling there.

Really nice staff! BUT dirty rooms, one bathroom(incl shower) for 18bed dorm, too small room for many people, no air conditioner, one window possible to open and no lockers. We got a clean bedsheet from reception but there were dirty linen, they didn't change it through our 3-day-stay so we don't know if/when they do. Not a place to meet other travellers, many habitants, who are nice though. Still I mean, they had good matresses so worth low price if you only need a place to crash.

The hostel is not really in the centre of Brighton. Either you take the bus or you walk (30 mins.) The hostel is quite old. We stayed in one of the 20-bed-dorms downstairs . If you entered the room the air was really smelly. The room was moisture and you felt in the bathrooms as being in a bad prison, really dark, wet and mouldy. For what you get you pay definitely a way too much money.

We stayed in mix 18 dorm, nearly no plugers, no curtines on beds so no privacy and no chance to make darkness for yourselves, the door to bathroom in our room make terrible noise which you cant prevented and woke up nearly everyone. We missed water at the breakfast. But we managed to help ourselves. Staff were very helpfull and friendly, also mates on our room were nice. I'm not sure why there are storage boxes in the room, because they were dirty and cant be closed.

Lockers/luggage storage should be included in the price as checkout is at 10 am

• 21st May 2015
  • Norway

Well we choose this hostel because we wanted something cheap so we weren't expecting something very luxurious but at least a clean and decent kitchen where we can be more than two people, where we can find forks and knives and where the fridges are not disgusting. The rooms were ok except from the isolation because we could hear everything outside. So if you go there don't plan on cooking anything and don't expect clean showers or deep night of sleep!

The facilities are disappointing(broken locker, not clean bedsheet), however the staff is extremely helpful and friendly.

Rooms and bathrooms were filthy, slats from beds missing and no curtains. While were given linen to make up the beds, there was no linen for the duvets which I assume are never washed. There were old stained pants in one of the other toilets. Staff patrol the corridors at night, I was told off for going to my friends room in the night to quietly retrieve something - even though there were many noisy stag parties. I wasn't expecting the ritz, but this was honestly like prison.

• 9th May 2015

There is way too much noise in this hostel. Either change the rules or invest in better walls. I did not want to pay so much (compared to other hostels) for such a bad night + showers and bathrooms are not clean

• 9th May 2015

I liked Brighton and Hove. The staff were friendly and helpful as well. But the beds are small (must be children's beds) and there weren't enough electrical sockets. And those were hidden behind beds. What disappointed me the most was the fact that there were lockers in the room but their locks were removed. It is possible to leave your valuables in locked lockers. But you have to pay 1,50 per day. Or you share your small bed with your phone, camera, aptop, money, passport,...l

I originally booked a room for 8 people. 2 people cancelled so I called and spoke to a lady who told me to cancel 2 beds by email and she gave me the wrong email address so when I arrived I was told they had not received a cancellation request. I explained this to the man at the desk and I showed him the email I had sent but he still didn't accept that I had cancelled 2 beds. He then told me I had to pay £40 for 4 keys. I ended up having to pay over £100. It was meant to cost £23.

• 11th Apr 2015

Unfortunately my stay was ruined by a sleepless night in a room with 2 snorers and a window which didn't close and had no curtain. This meant i was cold and woken throughout the night by the noise of the street, people coming in and out of the room and the snoring

• 11th Apr 2015

it was bad. The staff didnt touch to people who made noise in and outside of the hostel, and people in my room didnt sleep untill 4~5am. they didnt try to keep quiet. in short , the breakfast was not bad and the view of this hostel is actually good but the atmosphere is really terrible to me.