Smart Sea View Brighton Reviews

9-12 St Catherines Terrace Hove, Brighton, Brighton, England

I originally booked a room for 8 people. 2 people cancelled so I called and spoke to a lady who told me to cancel 2 beds by email and she gave me the wrong email address so when I arrived I was told they had not received a cancellation request. I explained this to the man at the desk and I showed him the email I had sent but he still didn't accept that I had cancelled 2 beds. He then told me I had to pay £40 for 4 keys. I ended up having to pay over £100. It was meant to cost £23.

• 11th Apr 2015

Unfortunately my stay was ruined by a sleepless night in a room with 2 snorers and a window which didn't close and had no curtain. This meant i was cold and woken throughout the night by the noise of the street, people coming in and out of the room and the snoring

• 11th Apr 2015

it was bad. The staff didnt touch to people who made noise in and outside of the hostel, and people in my room didnt sleep untill 4~5am. they didnt try to keep quiet. in short , the breakfast was not bad and the view of this hostel is actually good but the atmosphere is really terrible to me.

Worst hotel I've ever been to. Place that makes you feel dirtier after the shower than before. Terrible breakfast and antipatical staff.

• 4th Apr 2015

Had a very nice stay, the staff were all lovely - very friendly and helpful without exception. Our twin room was very comfy and the bathroom had been recently renovated which was nice. The only downside was that the radiator couldn't be switched off and sleeping with the window open was a bit noisy over the weekend.

• 3rd Apr 2015

We stayed in a 9 bed dorm, was really worth the money and the bunks didnt shake when people climed on them. Location was a little bit out of the way but away from the hustle and bustle. Would definitly stay here again and the staff were friendly and helpful. Free breakfast too was great and have already recommended to friends.

• 3rd Apr 2015
  • New Zealand

Atmosphere in the hostel is not nice. Common areas very simple and boring - no decoration at all to make you feel welcome/comfortable. Breakfast consists of white toast, bread and butter and some cereals. Many people come partying over the weekends, expect little sleep when you share a room with others.

Excellent value for money, great location and very clean. Comfy bed and powerful shower (in the private 3 bed room). Breakfast is very basic but can't expect much more for the price. Limited parking round the back for £5 per day. Would stay again.

• 31st Mar 2015

A simple but comfortable hostel with helpful staff.

• 28th Mar 2015

Stayed here in a 6 bed dorm with 5 friends. Comfortable bed, hot shower, and breakfast included in the price, so can't complain. Friendly staff too. Could do a lot worse for £14 a night.

• 27th Mar 2015
  • Scotland

My non-smoking room (215) reeked of cigarette smoke.

We stayed in a private double room. Good points: cheap, clean, recently decorated, tea making facilities, TV, towels & soap provided, polite staff, central location walking distance from station, 24hr reception, free wifi, breakfast included. Bad points: room quite small, uninspiring décor with bare light bulb on ceiling, shower far too hot, only one window, (of three), opened, had to top up kettle from shower as sink too small, breakfast only served until 09:30, couldn't get signal on wifi.

• 28th Feb 2015

Dear guest, thank you for your helpful review. I’m glad to see that you seem to have enjoyed your stay with us. Please, accept my apology for any inconvenience caused; I’ll make sure to bring the issues that you experienced to our maintenance staff to solve it shortly. We would love to hear from you again, Kind regards, Elisa A. Smart Sea View hotel

A bit far from the pier but definitely a very good place to stay at. Ensuite Twin room, perfectly clean, quite cheap compared to other hostels. I recommend warmly !

Dear guest, thank you very much for your kind review! We would be delighted to welcome you back. Kindest regards, Elisa A. Smart Sea View hotel

The staff were friendly and helpful. We had a twin ensuite and for value for money it was excellent. It wasn't noisy so had a good nights sleep. Sheets on the bed were brand new and the cleanliness of the room (apart from the windows) was very good. Outside of the windows were very dirty but not the cleaning staffs fault. Room was heated. Spotless shower room although a bit of a strange smell. Probably the drains as it is an old building. Cooked breakfast was included and perfectly adequate.

• Couple, 41+

Dear guest, thank you for your kind review. I’m very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay and our staff really appreciated your positive comments. We will have our maintenance guys to check the problem that you mentioned. We look forward to hearing from you in the near future, Kindest regards, Elisa A. Smart Sea View hotel

Stayed at this place with my 2 teenage children. The private rooms were nice. But it felt as though the building was in need of some attention. Was dissapointed on arrival to discover I needed to put a £10 deposit down for the key as this wasn't advertised anywhere and I nearly didn't have the cash. Breakfast was alright and more than enough to fill up. Over all it was ok but charging per bed made it a lot more expensive than cleaner nicer places.

• 28th Feb 2015

Dear guest, thank you for your feedback. The hotel is indeed going through a few refurbishments at the moment; we hope you will come back to enjoy the results! As for the £10 deposit for the key, I would like to point out that it advertised in our hotel profile – Things to note. We would be very happy to hear from you in the future, Kindest regards, Elisa A Smart Sea View hotel

There is nothing smart about this hostel. There are homeless looking long term lodgers there. Bunk beds are small and 3 level high..breakfast consist the cheapest possible food. Basic bread, basic, spread, basic jam that's about it. I know it is nothing to do with the hostel but some of the roommates were returning from night out at 4am wake everybody up, broke a bottle of beer or something...I did not have good time there unfortunately. The only good thing is the price.

Dear guest, I am really sorry to hear that our hotel didn’t meet your expectations as we aim to make everyone’s stay pleasant and comfortable. Please, accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused during your stay. Kind regards, Elisa A. Smart Sea View hotel

I am very happy and very cheap

• 21st Feb 2015

Dear guest, thank you for your review! We hope to see you again soon. Kind regards, Elisa A. Smart Sea View hotel

Admittedly I was concerned by the low reviews i found online for Sea View Brighton, so I had pretty low expectations. But it was great! Basic, yes, but the staff were really friendly and helpful. I was surprised to have a bath in the en suite, and really pleased with the level of comfort and cleanliness in the rooms. Not too sure what the dorms were like but the whole place was fairly quiet considering it was the weekend of the Brighton Half Marathon & a tattoo convention! Pleasantly surprised.

Dear guest, thank you for your wonderful review. I am very glad to learn that your stay with us left you with a good impression; our staff was very happy to hear your kind comments. Please, don’t hesitate to contact us next time you are planning to come to Brighton as it would be a pleasure to welcome you back. Kind regards, Elisa A. Smart Sea View hotel

Way better than I was expecting. We had a king size bed, tv with multiple channels, tea making facilities and a brand new ensuite. The place itself is run down but it's a way better option than forking out big money for a hotel. Very close to the strand too.

Dear guest, thank you for your positive feedback. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please, don’t hesitate in get in touch with us in your next stay in Brighton as we will be pleased to welcoming you back. Kind regards, Elisa A. Smart Sea View hotel

I first stayed in a 20 bed dorm room. It was good for the price, but some of the beds don't have curtains which might make some people uncomfortable. I then moved to a single room, which was wonderful. Very clean. It came with a TV and kettle, which I wasn't expecting. It was quiet and everyone was friendly and helpful.

Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to add your review. I was sorry to learn that the first room you stayed in didn’t meet your expectations. However, you’ll be happy to learn that we have replaced the curtains missing. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the single room and its facilities and that our staff made your stay pleasant. We look forward to hear from you in the future. Kind regards, Elisa A., Smart Sea View hotel