Smart Sea View Brighton Reviews

9-12 St Catherines Terrace Hove, Brighton, Brighton, England

Lockers/luggage storage should be included in the price as checkout is at 10 am

• 21st May 2015
  • Norway

Well we choose this hostel because we wanted something cheap so we weren't expecting something very luxurious but at least a clean and decent kitchen where we can be more than two people, where we can find forks and knives and where the fridges are not disgusting. The rooms were ok except from the isolation because we could hear everything outside. So if you go there don't plan on cooking anything and don't expect clean showers or deep night of sleep!

The facilities are disappointing(broken locker, not clean bedsheet), however the staff is extremely helpful and friendly.

Rooms and bathrooms were filthy, slats from beds missing and no curtains. While were given linen to make up the beds, there was no linen for the duvets which I assume are never washed. There were old stained pants in one of the other toilets. Staff patrol the corridors at night, I was told off for going to my friends room in the night to quietly retrieve something - even though there were many noisy stag parties. I wasn't expecting the ritz, but this was honestly like prison.

• 9th May 2015

There is way too much noise in this hostel. Either change the rules or invest in better walls. I did not want to pay so much (compared to other hostels) for such a bad night + showers and bathrooms are not clean

• 9th May 2015

I liked Brighton and Hove. The staff were friendly and helpful as well. But the beds are small (must be children's beds) and there weren't enough electrical sockets. And those were hidden behind beds. What disappointed me the most was the fact that there were lockers in the room but their locks were removed. It is possible to leave your valuables in locked lockers. But you have to pay 1,50 per day. Or you share your small bed with your phone, camera, aptop, money, passport,...l

I originally booked a room for 8 people. 2 people cancelled so I called and spoke to a lady who told me to cancel 2 beds by email and she gave me the wrong email address so when I arrived I was told they had not received a cancellation request. I explained this to the man at the desk and I showed him the email I had sent but he still didn't accept that I had cancelled 2 beds. He then told me I had to pay £40 for 4 keys. I ended up having to pay over £100. It was meant to cost £23.

• 11th Apr 2015

Unfortunately my stay was ruined by a sleepless night in a room with 2 snorers and a window which didn't close and had no curtain. This meant i was cold and woken throughout the night by the noise of the street, people coming in and out of the room and the snoring

• 11th Apr 2015

it was bad. The staff didnt touch to people who made noise in and outside of the hostel, and people in my room didnt sleep untill 4~5am. they didnt try to keep quiet. in short , the breakfast was not bad and the view of this hostel is actually good but the atmosphere is really terrible to me.

Worst hotel I've ever been to. Place that makes you feel dirtier after the shower than before. Terrible breakfast and antipatical staff.

• 4th Apr 2015

Had a very nice stay, the staff were all lovely - very friendly and helpful without exception. Our twin room was very comfy and the bathroom had been recently renovated which was nice. The only downside was that the radiator couldn't be switched off and sleeping with the window open was a bit noisy over the weekend.

• 3rd Apr 2015

We stayed in a 9 bed dorm, was really worth the money and the bunks didnt shake when people climed on them. Location was a little bit out of the way but away from the hustle and bustle. Would definitly stay here again and the staff were friendly and helpful. Free breakfast too was great and have already recommended to friends.

• 3rd Apr 2015
  • New Zealand

Atmosphere in the hostel is not nice. Common areas very simple and boring - no decoration at all to make you feel welcome/comfortable. Breakfast consists of white toast, bread and butter and some cereals. Many people come partying over the weekends, expect little sleep when you share a room with others.

Excellent value for money, great location and very clean. Comfy bed and powerful shower (in the private 3 bed room). Breakfast is very basic but can't expect much more for the price. Limited parking round the back for £5 per day. Would stay again.

• 31st Mar 2015

A simple but comfortable hostel with helpful staff.

• 28th Mar 2015

Stayed here in a 6 bed dorm with 5 friends. Comfortable bed, hot shower, and breakfast included in the price, so can't complain. Friendly staff too. Could do a lot worse for £14 a night.

• 27th Mar 2015
  • Scotland

My non-smoking room (215) reeked of cigarette smoke.

We stayed in a private double room. Good points: cheap, clean, recently decorated, tea making facilities, TV, towels & soap provided, polite staff, central location walking distance from station, 24hr reception, free wifi, breakfast included. Bad points: room quite small, uninspiring décor with bare light bulb on ceiling, shower far too hot, only one window, (of three), opened, had to top up kettle from shower as sink too small, breakfast only served until 09:30, couldn't get signal on wifi.

• 28th Feb 2015

Dear guest, thank you for your helpful review. I’m glad to see that you seem to have enjoyed your stay with us. Please, accept my apology for any inconvenience caused; I’ll make sure to bring the issues that you experienced to our maintenance staff to solve it shortly. We would love to hear from you again, Kind regards, Elisa A. Smart Sea View hotel

A bit far from the pier but definitely a very good place to stay at. Ensuite Twin room, perfectly clean, quite cheap compared to other hostels. I recommend warmly !

Dear guest, thank you very much for your kind review! We would be delighted to welcome you back. Kindest regards, Elisa A. Smart Sea View hotel

The staff were friendly and helpful. We had a twin ensuite and for value for money it was excellent. It wasn't noisy so had a good nights sleep. Sheets on the bed were brand new and the cleanliness of the room (apart from the windows) was very good. Outside of the windows were very dirty but not the cleaning staffs fault. Room was heated. Spotless shower room although a bit of a strange smell. Probably the drains as it is an old building. Cooked breakfast was included and perfectly adequate.

• 28th Feb 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Dear guest, thank you for your kind review. I’m very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay and our staff really appreciated your positive comments. We will have our maintenance guys to check the problem that you mentioned. We look forward to hearing from you in the near future, Kindest regards, Elisa A. Smart Sea View hotel