Smart Sea View Brighton Reviews

9-12 St Catherines Terrace Hove, Brighton, Brighton, England

Pretty well wish we didn't stay there.

Firstly, the hostel was difficult to find as the directions that the booking information advised pointed us in the wrong direction, so we had to walk back on ourselves. Also, the receptionist seemed quite cold and unwelcoming towards us, but we had no other problems with staff. The room was okay, but there were several suspicious stains on the walls and mattress which could have been easily cleaned. n the walls and mattress which could have been cleaned

• 16th May 2014

If you want a place to stay where you get no sleep as there are naked men running around screaming trying to kick your door in then this is the place for you!! we were so lucky to have stayed here with a stag party residing next door...screaming men for hours on end and the staff having limited power to do anything about it, got about 2 hours sleep everyone was very unhappy when they left vowing never ever to stay in a hostel again, we would rather pay the extra cash and actually get some sleep

• 10th May 2014

Perfect Hostel for a weekend away in Brighton. Really good location near the see and the trainstation.

• 10th May 2014

The bathroom, bedroom and sheets in our private room were clean. Everything else was dirty and sticky, stains on the carpet and bits all over the place. There was an unconscious drunk man on the stairs to the next floor just outside our room. If I hadn't paid very much I wouldn't have minded so much but it was expensive and terrible.

Expensive and horrible. bathroom ceiling and toilet were licking so the toilet looked like a swimming pool. No curtains so it's really light inside and there was a window that didn't close. A nightmare. I also forgot my pillow there and when I called they didn't care about it. Never going back!

Customers treated as an inconvenience/dirty mould ridden facilities/not in Brighton.

This is probably the loudest hostel I've ever been in. The staff are just as noisy as everyone staying there, and there is absolutely no effort made to curb this. The building is not well taken care of, lockers broken, and while the upfront price is cheap, they find everyday possible to charge you. While the walk is pretty, it is a bit of a walk to Brighton.

Dirty room when we arrived. Not even cleaned! One plug for ten in our room. The staff was REALLY unpleasant.

• 4th May 2014

I stayed in a 20 bed dorm and it was miserable. It was in the basement and there was absolutely no buffer between the sounds inside the room and outside. Above us was thunder and outside the window were loud conversations between smokers. The bathroom was probably a gateway to the underworld. The staff were also very unfriendly and not helpful. Finally, the wifi was down the 3 days I was there even though on the first day I was told it would be up an running within 6 hours.

• 3rd May 2014

The staff were moody and unhelpful. When we went to check in we were completely ignored by the guy on reception. When he finally greeted us, after we said can we check in? He told us cash only or 5% excess on card, outrageous!! Got to our room and it was like a prison cell. Toilets and shower both very basic and grubby. All in all I will not be going back. Unless they take the price down to £5 per night. Avoid at all costs. Free breakfast was also terrible!!

Staff were great and can't beat the price

• 2nd May 2014

Staff does 't see to care if I am enjoying my stay or not. Their English is very bad and i don't think they are trained in any way. Hotel looks dilapidated. Combination hotel/hostel sounds smart but means you pay for a hotel room and are constantly around hostel guest who are in Brighton to drink and be noisy. Not a nice experience.. No wifi. We had to pay to leave our bags.

• 2nd May 2014

My friends and i all had a nice time at The Smart Sea View hostel. The staff were friendly and helpful the atmosphere was nice and the rooms and beds were comfortable. I only wish i had been staying longer.

• 26th Apr 2014

It's a old hostel situated far away to Brighton Prie, in the Hove area, It's 30 min walking. The breakfast was poor, noise, and so strange !!.

Beds very small with metal railing meant having to cramp when sleeping.

• 19th Apr 2014

The room itself was clean and tidy but very hot!! We missed breakfast so can't comment on it. You need to pay a £10 cash deposit for the key which you get back on checking out. Also, if you pay on card you get charged 5% - however, the woman on reception was fine with me walking to a cash point to get the money to avoid the charge. The parking around the hostel is all permit or pay and display so you need to walk for ages to park for free.

What is the point in having lock boxes but no keys?

• 19th Apr 2014
  • Switzerland

It was quite unpleasent to keep being submitted to drugs(tobacco!?) intoxication either through the windows or even from abuse within the sleeping room. I must be fair because the staff let me change room after I com[plained and the room was fine there. The management rewards the smokers/abusers with lower prices instead of making them pay for their personal choices(the nuisance they submit other people to). This is the motive why I did not rebook.

Very tired old hostel, clean but probably wouldn't stay again.

• 12th Apr 2014