Smart Sea View Brighton Reviews

9-12 St Catherines Terrace Hove, Brighton, Brighton, England

Staff were great and can't beat the price

• 2nd May 2014

Staff does 't see to care if I am enjoying my stay or not. Their English is very bad and i don't think they are trained in any way. Hotel looks dilapidated. Combination hotel/hostel sounds smart but means you pay for a hotel room and are constantly around hostel guest who are in Brighton to drink and be noisy. Not a nice experience.. No wifi. We had to pay to leave our bags.

• 2nd May 2014

My friends and i all had a nice time at The Smart Sea View hostel. The staff were friendly and helpful the atmosphere was nice and the rooms and beds were comfortable. I only wish i had been staying longer.

• 26th Apr 2014

It's a old hostel situated far away to Brighton Prie, in the Hove area, It's 30 min walking. The breakfast was poor, noise, and so strange !!.

Beds very small with metal railing meant having to cramp when sleeping.

• 19th Apr 2014

The room itself was clean and tidy but very hot!! We missed breakfast so can't comment on it. You need to pay a £10 cash deposit for the key which you get back on checking out. Also, if you pay on card you get charged 5% - however, the woman on reception was fine with me walking to a cash point to get the money to avoid the charge. The parking around the hostel is all permit or pay and display so you need to walk for ages to park for free.

What is the point in having lock boxes but no keys?

• 19th Apr 2014
  • Switzerland

It was quite unpleasent to keep being submitted to drugs(tobacco!?) intoxication either through the windows or even from abuse within the sleeping room. I must be fair because the staff let me change room after I com[plained and the room was fine there. The management rewards the smokers/abusers with lower prices instead of making them pay for their personal choices(the nuisance they submit other people to). This is the motive why I did not rebook.

Very tired old hostel, clean but probably wouldn't stay again.

• 12th Apr 2014
  • New Zealand

Just a bed to sleep. not much facilities. quite expensive on Sat night. I guess it may be due to the marathon event at that time.

• 5th Apr 2014
  • China

Notices were up to be quiet at night,both outside hostel and in dormitories. A few individuals were very noisy in dorms talking on phones + talking loudly. They were reminded that others needed to be up early + wished to sleep,but took a long time to quieten down. Kitchen facilities were good, a toaster would also of been good. Staff were polite,hostel was clean + tidy,I would recommend it to others. A bit far out for central Brighton,but walkable + close to the seafront.

• 5th Apr 2014
  • Scotland

The bathrooms were pretty dirty, some of the staff members were not that helpful and seemed to be bothered by our prescence at all. Others were helpful. It was expensive for the bed we had to make ourselves, we had to go back to reception and ask where the bed sheets were. There was no security. What little there was were lockers that were all bent out of shape so they could not even be closed let alone locked.

Damp, broken toilet, hard wobbly bed, guy smoking pot, guy throwing up, loud noises from up stairs, other guests, and outside till 5am had no sleep and they still charged me for a night I didn't stay as I left very unhappy and found somewhere quiet to sleep very disappointing.

It was a mistake for me to book this hotel and I would not readily recommend it. If you want to see the problems then I suggest you visit it yourself.

• 4th Apr 2014

Was the only hostel available for the night we wanted to be in Brighton. Don't be expecting The Ritz, but if you're willing to hike for 30mins from Brighton to Hove then it'll serve you adequately well. Not far from the beach, as the title might suggest.

no internet working that day.

• 21st Mar 2014