Smart Sea View Brighton Reviews

9-12 St Catherines Terrace Hove, Brighton, Brighton, England

Well we choose this hostel because we wanted something cheap so we weren't expecting something very luxurious but at least a clean and decent kitchen where we can be more than two people, where we can find forks and knives and where the fridges are not disgusting. The rooms were ok except from the isolation because we could hear everything outside. So if you go there don't plan on cooking anything and don't expect clean showers or deep night of sleep!

The facilities are disappointing(broken locker, not clean bedsheet), however the staff is extremely helpful and friendly.

Picturesque scenery overlooking the beach, in the convenient area of Hove, Brighton. Bustling nightlife available in the city, whilst you enjoy your stay in a grand British building called Smart Sea View. This includes everything you need for an excellent budget stay. 😊

• 9th May 2015

Rooms and bathrooms were filthy, slats from beds missing and no curtains. While were given linen to make up the beds, there was no linen for the duvets which I assume are never washed. There were old stained pants in one of the other toilets. Staff patrol the corridors at night, I was told off for going to my friends room in the night to quietly retrieve something - even though there were many noisy stag parties. I wasn't expecting the ritz, but this was honestly like prison.

• 9th May 2015

There is way too much noise in this hostel. Either change the rules or invest in better walls. I did not want to pay so much (compared to other hostels) for such a bad night + showers and bathrooms are not clean

• 9th May 2015

I liked Brighton and Hove. The staff were friendly and helpful as well. But the beds are small (must be children's beds) and there weren't enough electrical sockets. And those were hidden behind beds. What disappointed me the most was the fact that there were lockers in the room but their locks were removed. It is possible to leave your valuables in locked lockers. But you have to pay 1,50 per day. Or you share your small bed with your phone, camera, aptop, money, passport,...l

I originally booked a room for 8 people. 2 people cancelled so I called and spoke to a lady who told me to cancel 2 beds by email and she gave me the wrong email address so when I arrived I was told they had not received a cancellation request. I explained this to the man at the desk and I showed him the email I had sent but he still didn't accept that I had cancelled 2 beds. He then told me I had to pay £40 for 4 keys. I ended up having to pay over £100. It was meant to cost £23.

• 11th Apr 2015

Unfortunately my stay was ruined by a sleepless night in a room with 2 snorers and a window which didn't close and had no curtain. This meant i was cold and woken throughout the night by the noise of the street, people coming in and out of the room and the snoring

• 11th Apr 2015

it was bad. The staff didnt touch to people who made noise in and outside of the hostel, and people in my room didnt sleep untill 4~5am. they didnt try to keep quiet. in short , the breakfast was not bad and the view of this hostel is actually good but the atmosphere is really terrible to me.

Worst hotel I've ever been to. Place that makes you feel dirtier after the shower than before. Terrible breakfast and antipatical staff.

• 4th Apr 2015

Good for the night. Very basic

I stayed here for one night and the location was good, however I had issues with the staff upon arrival as they send a preautorization to the card you book with, which shows up as having been withdrawn before checking in. Security was good as you had to have a card to get to the rooms. The shower was decent, but flooded... The bathrooms were tiny and not that great. Since it is an old building the windows are not up to date and on of them in my room did not close all the way. I was disappointed.

Had a very nice stay, the staff were all lovely - very friendly and helpful without exception. Our twin room was very comfy and the bathroom had been recently renovated which was nice. The only downside was that the radiator couldn't be switched off and sleeping with the window open was a bit noisy over the weekend.

• 3rd Apr 2015

We stayed in a 9 bed dorm, was really worth the money and the bunks didnt shake when people climed on them. Location was a little bit out of the way but away from the hustle and bustle. Would definitly stay here again and the staff were friendly and helpful. Free breakfast too was great and have already recommended to friends.

• 3rd Apr 2015
  • New Zealand

Atmosphere in the hostel is not nice. Common areas very simple and boring - no decoration at all to make you feel welcome/comfortable. Breakfast consists of white toast, bread and butter and some cereals. Many people come partying over the weekends, expect little sleep when you share a room with others.

Excellent value for money, great location and very clean. Comfy bed and powerful shower (in the private 3 bed room). Breakfast is very basic but can't expect much more for the price. Limited parking round the back for £5 per day. Would stay again.

• 31st Mar 2015

A simple but comfortable hostel with helpful staff.

• 28th Mar 2015

Stayed here in a 6 bed dorm with 5 friends. Comfortable bed, hot shower, and breakfast included in the price, so can't complain. Friendly staff too. Could do a lot worse for £14 a night.

• 27th Mar 2015
  • Scotland

My non-smoking room (215) reeked of cigarette smoke.

1 2 3 Next » last »