Smiley Backpackers Reviews

71 Thu Khoa Huan, District 1, Da Lat, Vietnam

Great place, friendly staff. The breakfast in the morning was very much appreciated. Our room was clean and spacious. The only downside is the screaming children that around the hostel.

Smiley Backpackers was amazing from start to finish! We arrived early in the morning to find that the owner of the hostel had slept on the sofa to ensure he could welcome us into his hostel! Hinn and his family gave us a free cooking lesson and a fantastic evening cooking outside the front of the hostel! We went on a 3 day easy rider bike tour with them also which was absolutely AMAZING!! I saw a side to Vietnam I wouldn't have seen if I didn't book into Smiley! Nicest people I've met on my trip

Very Nice Hostel, and one of the few with double private rooms as well. We stayed there for only 1 night, and had to cancel the second night, because we were planning to go to Cambodia and otherwise we had not enough time to get there. The owner Hinh liked our plan and had no problems with our cancellation for the second night, infact he even arranged the nightbus for for us to Saigon. The location is okay, most things to see are around Dalat and tours will pick you up at the hostel

If you are heading to Dalat, there is no better place to stay! The family who own the hostel are incredible and will sort out everything for you, from easy riders to canyoning to bus tickets (with very good companies). We were taken around the countryside on motorbikes by Bo, the nephew of the owner - definitely to be recommended. We also did a canyoning trip booked through the hostel, which (again) you have to do! What's more, breakfast is delicious too!

Staff were FANTASTIC! Always there to help. There was a great little common area to meet other travellers and breakfast was delicious. I think, as many places in Vietnam, there may be an ant issue going on. I had some grapes in my room and by the morning they were covered in ants. Best to have asked if I could have kept them in the kitchen. If you are a bit fussy about beds maybe pay the extra $5 to go somewhere else as the mattresses were a little hard but you get that sometimes.

The family who run the place are really friendly and gave us advice about the town and a map. They also provide well priced motorbike rental and the breakfast was adequate (omelette, baguette and tomato) We had issues with the cleanliness of the room, there were ants that got in our bags and we had to hide food. The window to the bathroom was also broken making the room very cold. It was cheap so I wouldn't expect much, but I have stayed at Happy Hostel Dalat for the same price and more comfort.

If you want to throw yourself into family life then you'll probably enjoy this place. However if you want to do your own thing, then you kind of feel like you're intruding on someone's house; we found the owner very unfriendly and unwilling to answer any questions/provide basic information. Our room was old and damp with an unstable door. The women who work here are lovely and breakfast is nice, but we had quite an uncomfortable stay.

Damp room, no security, itchy sheets, horrible bed, horrible breakfast with no options! Ants everywhere and no safe, fridge of working tv, broken plug sockets broken bathroom window leak above the toilet = not so smiley backpackers!

• 30th Sep 2014

Great place! Took the night bus to Dalat and were able to check in very early. Awesome location very close to the city and what a view! Breakfast was very good and staff very friendly. One night as we were walking back to the hostel, the owner invited everybody to a small cafe where his piano teacher was playing. We all hoped on motorbikes and had a great night! The hostel's owner also has a motorbike company called Free Riders. We did a 2 day trip to Mui Ne and loved it. Very nice experience!

• 28th Sep 2014

Loved the location - a quiet road on a hill with a beautiful view. Staff was super friendly and really always smiling. I recommend booking the motorcycle country tour thru the hostel - I don't know how it compares pricewise to others, but we had a ball. Best complimentary breakfast too, an omelet with crusty baguette and coffee. Would recommend!

This was one of the best places I've stayed on my travels. The staff are excellent and always invite you for a drink. They showed incredible kindness to a fellow traveller after accident, looking after him like family.

• 17th Sep 2014

Really good hostel it felt like a home from home, very relaxed and the family were lovely. Very helping and friendly. I enjoyed my two day bike tour with the owner, we got to see some beautiful sights. Excellent value for money would recommend staying here.

We had a great stay at Smiley Backpackers. The owner Hin and his wife were so welcoming. The hostel had a really friendly vibe to it and the staff were exceptionally great at helping us organise our trip. We even had an evening drinking rice wine and eating stew with the family which was so much fun!

Friendly staff :) can't grumble! Enjoyed my stay

Included Breakfast is great. Staff is really helpful and nice. The double room was very spacious.

Lovely owners who organised the canyoning trip, hiring a moped and driving to Nha Trang and even sent our luggage for us.

Lovely place, only stayed one night after a bike from Mui ne. We were a group of 5, staff were a real pleasure and we played guitar into the night. Rooms are a little dated but we found them clean and comfy. Definitely recommended!

Hostel owner extremely helpful and welcoming, he did us numerous favors during our short stay, one of the best hostels we have stayed at.. Very friendly environment. organised brilliant canyoning trip for only $25. Not a bad word to say about this place.

Staff were very helpful and friendly, the free breakfast provided was good. However there was a building site right next to the hostel which started early in the morning, it was annoying when we wanted to catch up on sleep after a night bus. Although the location was just off a Main Street so away from the noise at night. Bedrooms did have windows!

A great little place to stay, the owner was great and always willing to help. The canyoning tour Is a must if you go to dalat!