So Hostel Chiangmai Reviews

64/2 Loy Khroh Road, Tambon Changklan, Amphur Muan, Chiang Mai, Thailand

The cleanliness of the hostel was terrible, the bathrooms were never clean even when i asked the staff to clean, the hand washers had the 3 days I stayed the same stains and hairs, the back side of the doors were full of fungus as well as the shelf were i had to put my stuff, the tools and drawers in the kitchen were full of dust as well. The front desk staf were lovely, but the rest of the staff wasnt, one of them even yell to me.

• 26th Feb 2015
  • Peru

Do not stay here! There's no refund once you find out how bad it is. Shower/bathrooms have huge doorway opening with no doors. Shower is small cubicle with no anteroom for towel or to change. Once you open everyone in the hallways can see you. Blocked sinks. Old toothbrushes and undies on floor in shower. Cobwebs in toilet stalls. Rooms so crowded as they stuffed a 7th bed in the dorm for 6 that you're paying for. Door opens it bangs bed. Street felt unsafe as all night massage parlours.

Besides bathroom it was extremely clean. Very large, lacks personal taste and warmth. Nice kitchen, large common area downstairs. Beds clean. Key to get into room. Very safe. Great location and well known by taxi drivers.

Perfect location as a base for exploring. Though apparently it's a red light district. I didn't notice until someone pointed it out though. It's not a very social hostel. It's more like a hotel. The WiFi situation is annoying. You have to get a new username and password every 3 days. Which is fine for most people on short trips but I was there two weeks. But I would recommend it and stay here again.

Extremely clean hostel located only a 5 minute walk from the East gate (night market). All the rooms are clean with comfortable beds. Not the best hostel to stay at if you're looking to meet people as the common area is very basic but still an excellent hostel regardless.

More of a hybrid ho(s)tel. Very nice place to stay. I've actually extended my stay to two weeks. Probably the most comfortable bed I've slept in since I got to Thailand. Still firm but soft by Thailand hostel standards. There is a kitchen that you can use as well; toaster, stove top, microwave, fridge and utensils. So a good place if your budget is a concern. Not a very social hostel though. But that's more to do with the people than the place itself.

Really good location and great price!

Front desk reception not friendly and always on the phone. Cleaning staff moved and threw away shampoo and other items on my bed without my permission.

Small room with fan and private bathroom. Really nice owner (french thai couple). Hard to communicate with the other stuff. Best location right in the middle of night bazaar and old town.

I wasn't a massive fan of sohostel. It was fairly standard apart from the slightly grimy showers but despite having a large communal area it really lacked atmosphere. I think they need to rearrange the layout and maybe organise drinking games or something in the evening. Great location though close to thapae gate and the night bizarre.

Wish they provided you with towel but other than that it was great!

all sheets in our room had worn holes in them. staff barely spoke English. I asked if hostel had washer/dryer for laundry and they told me "go outside, left, go left. laundry!" the next day I found out from guests there is a coin washer dryer. staff was unable to help with simple directions to tourist sites. bathrooms had super dirty floors (wet mopped daily, but dirty due to traffic on wet floors). beds are super hard. sad because this is a super cool looking hostel in a great location.

Don't book with the staff any tours or buses. First off they booked a tour for us and had us wait for an extra half hour before finally realizing they had booked us for the wrong day. They were very unhelpful, rude and took several hours to finally pay us back our money since they had made a mistake. Also the bus we booked with them didn't show up for hours after the scheduled time, and they were little help, telling us two hours before the bus arrived that it was "on it's way".

The only good thing about the hostel is that is well located, but chiang mai is small so there is no such thing as bad location! The hostel doesnt have a social vibe at all, is really strange! The rooms are hot and loud! The toilets have open doors, no privacy at all! And they are disgusting, full of spiders at the cealing, and there was dirt and hair all over the sinks! Would not recomend!

Lacked atmosphere was away from the other livelier hostels. Staff weren't that great

Very very unfriendly staff. Unlike other Thai they hardly ever seemed to smile, were not helpful when our organized tour was not showing up, and doubly booked our beds the first night so we had to change beds at 11pm.

Bathrooms are pretty dirty despite the common areas being very very clean. Keycards kept on failing. Staff just goes about their own business with people waiting at the desk, seems like they don't care.

Good location, close enough to the old city and on the way to the night bazaar. Staff speak limited English and sometimes give out wrong information (send you to the other side of the city for a hair cut / vegetable market when there are options 5 minutes from the hostel). Cleanliness is about average I'd say, shower doors are not cleaned on the inside.

Bed sheets were torn and dirty, and staff refused to change them if it's prior to a 3 day stay. It's a nice hostel in a good area, massive, and has a cafe. Showers and washrooms weren't very clean.

Large Hostel! Nice big rooms throughout the hostel, air conditioned rooms, lockers in each room large enough to fit my backpack and day bag! Bedrooms are tidied daily, however the showers are really dirty!! Stayed for many nights and the shower rooms have not been cleaned once!! There is no bar and the hostel lacks atmosphere, no music or entertainment/games/lounge area. Although being Central there is plenty to do.