Soho People's Square Youth Hostel Reviews

NO. 1307 South Suzhou Rd, Huangpu District, Shanghai, China

We were a party of 3, stayed in private room. Rooms were clean, comfortable but no windows. Hostel location is central, only 5mins from metro but it's 5mins away from everything else, it's down a quiet alley so no shops or restaurants on the same street. The English level is not that good here either. It lacked atmosphere.. not many foreigners when we stayed but Chinese families so I don't think this hostel would be an ideal choice if you're travelling alone and looking to meet people.

Clean and comfortable! Bed too small for two Western People! Subway rumbling underneath the Hostel! Privat Room i had had no Windows! There Are other Hostels closer to people's square which are also good and cheaper!

Hate to leave a bad review, but I was not super impressed. Positives: room itself was fine and pleasantly-wallpapered. Wi-fi was the best I've encountered at a hostel in China. Located close to train station and People's Square. Negatives: Built over the subway line, so while I was trying to sleep I was jolted awake every 5 minutes by the arriving subway train. Confusing location and building setup. Uncomfortable beds and room smelled strange. Staff seemed indifferent to guests. Few bathrooms.

1) couldn't sleep all 4 nights well, coz out of the window there was loud music in the park and old people dancing. It was every morning 6 to 8 o'clock! 2) once in the noon there was no hot water to shower and they said it is because the hostel is full, same with WIFI. 3) one chinese lady outside the hostel got angry at us because she thought we took a photo of her (we just did a selfie of just ourself) and started following us. Even running and shouting she gonna report on us in police.

• 30th Dec 2015
  • Azerbaijan

It's a bit hard to find. The taxi driver had a hard time. Worth it I suppose. Cool breakfast, funky decorations, one of the girls on the night shift was so kind and the guy during the morning wasn't as helpful.

The staff is friendly and it is very clean. The rooms were very nice, heated and the beds were softer than most hostels. The free breakfast was AMAZING (in my opinion) and it is in walking distance from E Nanjing Road with all of the shopping and eateries.

Nice hostel, very nice lobby

• 27th Nov 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

The hostel was a little tricky to get to, but I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay while in Shanghai! The room was spacious, clean, and well-lit (I stayed in one of the deluxe rooms with a window). The staff was friendly and accommodating- they allowed me to check out at noon but leave my bag at the hostel until 6pm when I needed to head out. Overall I am pleasantly surprised!

• 27th Nov 2015

This is good hostel to stay in such big city Shanghai, it is upgrade by old warehouse, the common area with breakfast is good, but the sleeping room doesn't have window to exchange fresh air, so the room smell was really bad. You have left your room as soon as you get off bed to common area or leave. I stay there two days and I changed to other hostel in the modern high building room with window. The common area might not enough, but at least you can sleep very well with fresh air environment.

• 17th Nov 2015
  • China

Nice central place Nice hepful staff clean place great communual area come back for sure

The room without window was humid, smelly and too warm during the night (in our case). I think the hostel was a great pick for everything but the room: staff was friendly (but they did not want to amend our booked room type), staff spoke very good English and the common areas were friendly. However, the room did not have a window and was damp and very smelly. Plus, there was no ventilation possible, and the "central a/c" heated the room rather than cooling it. I wouldn't take such a room again!

The location was very good. Near to metro line 1. Unfortunately, the smell of pee was around at many places in the hostel. Also the cleanliness of the toilets area was not very good. The toilet in the room is not worth the money. The shower is next to the toilet and there is no curtain. So everything is wet after showering. Additionally, the whole room was humid as there was no window and no appropriate air exchange. Toilet paper was missing as well all the time.

Great atmosphere and great location. Close to the river walkway, lots of shops, street food and the Xinzha subway station. It's well worth figuring out the subway so you can get to the parts of town you want to see quickly and inexpensively.

• 3rd Nov 2015

This hostel is very well located and has very nice public area ( loby, terrace etc) I really recommend but price is litte expensive.

• 24th Oct 2015
  • Turkey

The staff here are incredibly nice! In addition, the common spaces were very warm and welcoming. However, the actual room we slept in left much to be desired. Our room (a four bed common dorm) had no windows, which would have been tolerable, but the lighting was weak and it was difficult to see. In addition, the air conditioning in the room did not work well, and it was incredibly hot in there at night. It was also humid from the bathroom. Also, the beds were rock hard and not very comfortable.

• 23rd Oct 2015

Very friendly and helpful employees, very nice location and atmosphere

• 16th Oct 2015

The location is great - quite close to People's Square but still really quiet. You have to pay extra if you want a room with an window to the outside (regular rooms have windows to the corridor). The common areas of the hostel create a very cozy atmosphere - we loved to be here. The washing machine and dryer require 8 RMB coins each - it would be great if change were available at the reception.

The stuff was very very nice and the atmospehere was really good too. Really clean also.

• 27th Sep 2015

Only Chinese Tourists when i.stayed, no.atmosphere like other hostels i've stayed in. Rooms where very smelly and kind of humid. For international hostels i expected a normal toilet but no. Friendly staff and lovely courtyard. But the.street to reach the hostel is completly dark, can imagine lots of people don't feel safe. Overall there are much better hostels for lower prices in Shanghai!

They gave me free upgraded, nice staff, clean room, a cozy place, I'm coming back for sure.

• 24th Aug 2015