Soho People's Square Youth Hostel Reviews

NO. 1307 South Suzhou Rd, Huangpu District, Shanghai, China

I got a private room, the facilities were adequate but nothing special. Good wifi. Some of the staff spoke good English so checking in and out was simple. When asked if they could book a train on my behalf, they said I should just go to the train station which wasn't that helpful. Found the hostel quite hard to find as it is unclear it is located on a pedestrianised street, and not the road. Good location for the metro station.

• 26th Feb 2015

The hostel was so dirty that I left the same day I arrived. Just couldn't stay there. It is simply too big and you don't feel like a valued guest but like a money-cow ready to milk...

The staff was very helpful. The security was excellent with personal locker and access control.

I think for Shanghai it's a great bargain. Staff are all very kind and helped with whatever I needed. Place was clean, and also quiet for sleeping. Rooms have heat, which is good unless your roommates like to keep it a million degrees like mine. But staff provided me a fan. Plenty of places to cozy up and read. Many guests weren't very social. There is no smoking which is great, but unfortunately the construction staff smoke indoors so I could still smell it day

This is my second stay at the hostel. The location is great. Very quiet but close to public transportation. The staff is friendly and helpful. I only wish they had a single private room option, instead of having to pay for two people if you want a private room. As a single traveller, I always have to pay double.

It is time and money saving to travel by mrt. It is close to mrt. Room is clean and quiet. WiFi are free for us. Washing machine and dryer are available. So good for long trip travellers. Feeling welcomed as home. Reasonable price.

• 30th Nov 2014
  • Japan

A lovely hostel with friendly staff and a great vibe. We stayed in a double room and it was very comfortable and warm in Winter. The whole room was pretty clean aside from the peeling/damp walls. It was only a half hour walk to The Bund along a river with great scenery - I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone staying in Shanghai.

Nice and comfortable,ooms and common areas were clean and spacious.Staff were helpful with info and arrangements for airport transfers and taxi,it was a good experience

It's very closed to railway station. good value of money and comfortable room. recommended

• 24th Nov 2014

Very comfortable,Wi-fi in hostel is very quick! Room conditions simple, but fare for such price.I will definitely recommend this hostel and i will go back again if given the chance.

• 21st Nov 2014

Excellent,it provide a very good venue for traveler just within 5 min of the nearest station.Also,the hostel ratio is very normal and friendly for solo traveler.I’d like to stay again in soho for my next visit.

• 20th Nov 2014

Good location,five mins to the subway station.Staff were nice,always ready to help others.Nice bar,the food were tasty,if there is a self-kitchen will be better.

• 18th Nov 2014

For youth hostel we found this place had no atmosphere and some staff not particularly friendly. Not a place to stay if you wanted to make your own food to keep cost down due to no kitchen but plus side had a bar and menu. Rooms fairly clean. Had one cockroach in our room on last night but you can get those anywhere.

I wonder why people are working in the tourism business, when they seem to not like tourists? Or maybe, people in Shanghai just don't like foreigners? Or maybe, people in Shanghai are rude? Or maybe, the people who work in this hostel just don't like foreigners and are rude? I've travelled to about 60 countries around the world and this is one of the worst hostels I've ever been too, basically because the staff were unpleasant, unhelpful and unfriendly. I won't be returning.