Soho People's Square Youth Hostel Reviews

NO. 1307 South Suzhou Rd, Huangpu District, Shanghai, China

Beautiful shabby chic facility. Loved the whitewash

• 1st Apr 2014

Large group of us...16 in total teaching in Suzhou for 2 weeks went to visit shanghai and stayed here. loved it that much we came back the following weekend!! Only complaints was that one of our 4 bed dorm rooms had no mattress so beds were very hard but all other rooms were fine 100% recommended.

• 6th Mar 2014

Amazing location, just 5 mins to metro S.t, the stuff sooo helpful, some problem with my back and the little girl just gave me her mattress,they just will do every thing for help

• 16th Feb 2014
  • Taiwan

I stayed in a 4 bed female dorm for 3 nights here. The hostel wasn't as near the subway station Xinxha Road as I thought, it's about a 7-10 minute walk and can be hard to find the first time you go. But the neighborhood is safe. The staff at the hostel spoke pretty good English. The lobby and common areas were clean and comfy, but the rooms themselves were quite small and dirty. The carpet was very dusty as if they never vacuumed it...? I wouldn't recommend it if you're picky about cleanliness!

Pros: It was a great location, right next to the metro and a lovely walk along the canal to the Bund area. The staff were friendly and their english was good. The breakfast in the morning was delicious and reasonably priced. Cons: Window in room looked onto the corridor in the hostel so no natural light. The cleaning staff were extremely loud in the mornings and seemed to sit on a table directly outside our window. There was a terrible smell of toilet in the bar where you have breakfast.

Nice hostel but located a bit far from the city center in a small dark alley. We got cold water in the shower which was difficult in december, however, the bed was very comfy and the hostel really clean.

I really like the atmosphere of the hostel- the style is amazing and the location is great. I found also clean. However, I had to complain about the cold in the room which was unbearable and the staff was aparently unable to help sorting our air-con problem. I was not very angry about though as I stayed only for a one night. I have been to to different hostels in Shanghai but this one is definitely one to be recommended!

i stayed for over a week, so feel like i got a good feel for the place. The security is great and its very clean, however overall i was disappointed with the over all experiance. The beds are super hard, and do not take into account western needs as almost all of the people who stay are chinese. I had to insist on an extra pillow, after asking several times and being ignored. No toilet paper or handwash was provided, which i could not believe as the prices per night are not cheap, no atmosphere

Good AC,clean room, soft bed,good staff,good location,Recommend!

• 16th Jan 2014

The coming and going of Chinese travelers, and the 'chill' rooms above the reception make this hostel a comfortable and friendly hostel to stay in. It is close to the subway station and on a pedestrian street, which gives it a 'niche' safety and quietness, in what would normally be a crowded and noisy part of the city. I'm very satisfied and would recommend this hostel to anyone.

• 13th Jan 2014
  • Belgium

Very beautiful 150-year old Shanghai building. The hostel is HUGE (lot of rooms and dorms). Facilities are nice (especially a very beautiful bar). I had a twin bedroom (private bathroom), which was very cosy. Staff is keen to help. Location is okay (5 minutes walking from the closest subway station). U can also easily reach sights like People's Square or The Bund by feet. Soho People's Square Youth Hostel is very valuable for money, I recommend it !

nothings else just good

• 8th Jan 2014

Overall atmosphere was good and excellent. Room is clean, security is good, the hostel itself is beautiful and set up realy well. Pool table was good and more places you could need to sit and chill out.

• 4th Jan 2014

So close to metro,the staff know English well and so lovely, clean and quiet

• 1st Jan 2014
  • Japan

This is a nice enough place and I really only had one issue; the beds are sofa king hard that sleep was the most miserable experience of the day. I paid for 3 days in advance, don't do that until you know if you can sleep on a wooden bed! After the second night my body was so bruised and soar (even with extra bedding provided by the staff). By the 3rd night, I could not get myself to get into bad at all. I check in somewhere else and slept all day. Very few westerners are there for this reason.