Soho People's Square Youth Hostel Reviews

NO. 1307 South Suzhou Rd, Huangpu District, Shanghai, China

Our room smelled like a bathroom. And it's not actually located on the People's Square, it takes about 15 minutes to walk there. The staff did their job, but not that friendly.

I stayed in this hostel before - but I came back and didn't have such a good experience. The location is good, the hostel is nice enough. Someone needs to have a word with the guy at reception about his service sense though. It doesn't cost anything to make a bit of conversation when the computer is being slow and I doesn't take much effort to at least look at you and acknowledge your presence even if you're busy on the phone. But it's not a 5-star hotel and I'd probably stay again.

When checking in it took us 10 mins to be seen as the staff were to busy to serve us. The room we were given was not the one that we booked. The room itself smelt bad and had no window for fresh air and on the first night the AC did not work. The "social" area was always dead or closed for private parties or staff meetings and full off staff members doing nothing.The wifi did not work constantly in the hostel. You can also here the tube underneath the hostel from early morning to late at night.

I've loved my stay here! The hostel is so close to everything in Shanghai, but still located in a quite area.

• 29th May 2015
  • Romania

5 min walk away from a metro station, which was awesome. The place had a cute outdoor hangout area. One down side was that the communal bathroom floor seemed to be wet all the time

The bathroom in the ensuite was quite dirty and there was no bath curtain to keep the water from going everywhere. In addition to that, I wish they had more than just one washing machine, I felt like everyone was fighting for their slot time... Other than that, it was perfect the atmosphere was amazing and the location even better since it was a few minutes away from the subway station. Also the staff speaks good amount of English and they were really professional.

• 27th May 2015

We were amazed by how easy and quick it was to get to the People's Square area by foot (definitely not as close as the name will make you think). The atmosphere in the hostel is nice, bu if you are allergic to cats stay away. We were staying in a 4 bed dorm. While the ensuite batroom was nice, the room didnt have windows and was really stuffy and warm, even with the loud fan on, so we had trouble sleeping and breathing freely. The room had roaches, but this is almost unavoidable in China.

Basically a good hostel, close to the city centre with a nice garden in the backyard. nothing really to complain about, everything worked out well. but also not a special hostel either. unfortunately neither wifi nor mobile signal worked in my room.

Really enjoyed me stay at this hostel. Rooms very clean and there was a nice feel about the place. The staff was very friendly and helpful. One girl in particular, Hayley, helped us plan our trip to trip to Beijing and helped organise ur hostels and trains, we would probably still be lost somewhere in inner Mongolia if it wasnt for her!

• 15th May 2015

Really nice place to stay, big, clean private rooms, great staff and some nice touches like a free beer on arrival. Definitely will stay here again soon. Location ok - but not actually in People's Square!

This is my third stay at the hostel. Always so clean... People there speak good English, which is not so common in China(which is foreigners told me, I have no language problem at all,) and always do their best to help,its said that beds are hard like rock,but my bed has soft mattress,so lucky...Some nice touches like a free beer on arrival. Bar with snooker table, and the buffet was great, they become better and better...Finally the location is top.I would highly recommend this place.

We appreciated the internet connection because it was fast and available anywhere.

Great location but off the beaten path, creating a quiet environment to stay at! It was great to see Chinese locals but also foreigners staying, young people, old people, even families!

Rock hard beds and full of Chinese students

The hostel was a little difficult to find at night because the entrance is by the river, not on a main road. However, the environment was nice and the location convenient for both the metro and the railway station. The dormitories were clean and lockers secure. Most of the guests seemed to be Chinese. My main dissatisfaction was with communal bathroom which was continually covered in water. Otherwise, my visit satisfied my needs - a cheap, convenient and secure place to sleep for two nights.

I got a private room, the facilities were adequate but nothing special. Good wifi. Some of the staff spoke good English so checking in and out was simple. When asked if they could book a train on my behalf, they said I should just go to the train station which wasn't that helpful. Found the hostel quite hard to find as it is unclear it is located on a pedestrianised street, and not the road. Good location for the metro station.

• 26th Feb 2015

We are so sorry for your inconvenience, with indeterminacy about new rule of the Ministry of Railways when someone book the tickets for others. But now we have confirmed the relevant provisions and booking for everyone has been possible. Much appreciation to you for your reflection, which is important for our improvement. Looking forward to seeing you again at SOHO!

The hostel was so dirty that I left the same day I arrived. Just couldn't stay there. It is simply too big and you don't feel like a valued guest but like a money-cow ready to milk...

We are terible sorry for your unhappy experience here, we found the problem after your review, which is under the bed. We thougt we can not touch anything when guests haven't all check-out, including the area under the bed, we figure out how to do and problem solved, it's not going to happen again. Looking forward to seeing you again at SOHO!

The staff was very helpful. The security was excellent with personal locker and access control.

I think for Shanghai it's a great bargain. Staff are all very kind and helped with whatever I needed. Place was clean, and also quiet for sleeping. Rooms have heat, which is good unless your roommates like to keep it a million degrees like mine. But staff provided me a fan. Plenty of places to cozy up and read. Many guests weren't very social. There is no smoking which is great, but unfortunately the construction staff smoke indoors so I could still smell it day