Soho People's Square Youth Hostel Reviews

NO. 1307 South Suzhou Rd, Huangpu District, Shanghai, China

Staff at this hostel were particularly unfriendly and in accommodating, they failed to give us details of check out times and breakfast as well as basics of the hostel. Furthermore they were unfriendly and did not make much of a positive impression on us as guests, stay in a more central location in shanghai and get better service!!!

Very nice and helpfull persons at the desk.

Above average hostel, location is fairly good. Very close train station and many sites are within walking distance. Best thing about the hostel is the rooftop, gives you a nice feeling of being cosily tucked in around all the high risers. Worst thing is that for the entire time I was there it smelt like wet smelly clothes, from the reception to the room.

Once you get to this hostel it's nice, but to get to it, you have to walk down an alley, which we didn't feel very safe on after dark. There were three of us and we signed up for a 6 bed dorm room but they gave us a 3 bed dorm room so it was like a private room. We really appreciated that! We used the community women's bathroom and it was pretty clean except for all of the water on the floor from the showers and the humidity. There were nice looking common areas but we didn't get a chance to

I didn't receive many smiles for the staff, they didn't seem happy with the me or other customer. .

The location was very close to key sites, including People's Square and Nanjing Road, and the hostel staff were very nice and eager to help with any requests. The location after exiting the station is not well described and walking around the area at night was quite scary for my friend and me with our packs, but during the day the place is great! Would definitely stay here again!

Our room smelled like a bathroom. And it's not actually located on the People's Square, it takes about 15 minutes to walk there. The staff did their job, but not that friendly.

I stayed in this hostel before - but I came back and didn't have such a good experience. The location is good, the hostel is nice enough. Someone needs to have a word with the guy at reception about his service sense though. It doesn't cost anything to make a bit of conversation when the computer is being slow and I doesn't take much effort to at least look at you and acknowledge your presence even if you're busy on the phone. But it's not a 5-star hotel and I'd probably stay again.

When checking in it took us 10 mins to be seen as the staff were to busy to serve us. The room we were given was not the one that we booked. The room itself smelt bad and had no window for fresh air and on the first night the AC did not work. The "social" area was always dead or closed for private parties or staff meetings and full off staff members doing nothing.The wifi did not work constantly in the hostel. You can also here the tube underneath the hostel from early morning to late at night.

I've loved my stay here! The hostel is so close to everything in Shanghai, but still located in a quite area.

• 29th May 2015
  • Romania

5 min walk away from a metro station, which was awesome. The place had a cute outdoor hangout area. One down side was that the communal bathroom floor seemed to be wet all the time

The bathroom in the ensuite was quite dirty and there was no bath curtain to keep the water from going everywhere. In addition to that, I wish they had more than just one washing machine, I felt like everyone was fighting for their slot time... Other than that, it was perfect the atmosphere was amazing and the location even better since it was a few minutes away from the subway station. Also the staff speaks good amount of English and they were really professional.

• 27th May 2015

We were amazed by how easy and quick it was to get to the People's Square area by foot (definitely not as close as the name will make you think). The atmosphere in the hostel is nice, bu if you are allergic to cats stay away. We were staying in a 4 bed dorm. While the ensuite batroom was nice, the room didnt have windows and was really stuffy and warm, even with the loud fan on, so we had trouble sleeping and breathing freely. The room had roaches, but this is almost unavoidable in China.

Basically a good hostel, close to the city centre with a nice garden in the backyard. nothing really to complain about, everything worked out well. but also not a special hostel either. unfortunately neither wifi nor mobile signal worked in my room.

Really enjoyed me stay at this hostel. Rooms very clean and there was a nice feel about the place. The staff was very friendly and helpful. One girl in particular, Hayley, helped us plan our trip to trip to Beijing and helped organise ur hostels and trains, we would probably still be lost somewhere in inner Mongolia if it wasnt for her!

• 15th May 2015

Really nice place to stay, big, clean private rooms, great staff and some nice touches like a free beer on arrival. Definitely will stay here again soon. Location ok - but not actually in People's Square!

This is my third stay at the hostel. Always so clean... People there speak good English, which is not so common in China(which is foreigners told me, I have no language problem at all,) and always do their best to help,its said that beds are hard like rock,but my bed has soft mattress,so lucky...Some nice touches like a free beer on arrival. Bar with snooker table, and the buffet was great, they become better and better...Finally the location is top.I would highly recommend this place.

We appreciated the internet connection because it was fast and available anywhere.

Great location but off the beaten path, creating a quiet environment to stay at! It was great to see Chinese locals but also foreigners staying, young people, old people, even families!

Rock hard beds and full of Chinese students