Solar Chacara Hostel Reviews

Av Niemeyer 180, Estrada do Vidigal 701, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Friend and I had an absolutely wonderful stay! The common area is both spacious and homey, the kitchen is well-equipped, and the balcony provides a captivating view. It's an easy stroll in/out of Leblon. If it's available and you have the budget, definitely opt for the deluxe room. Best part, though, is we felt super welcomed by the fine folks living and working there! Vivian and her crew are gracious and hospitable. Will return in the future!

It is a one-of-kind hostel with an amazing view on the ocean, great shared living area and kitchen and an amazing staff and atmosphere. The location is about 10 minutes walk from Leblon and Vidigal. The area seemed perfectly safe to me. I had a great time here and hope to return some time.

The staff is very nice ! Among various things, when I left the hostal I needed a taxi to drive me to the bus station, and they helped me, phoning a taxi who was a friend of them and who nicely drove me there for a cheap price.

• 14th Feb 2015

A nice hostel in Rio if you are looking for something different than the usual Ipanema and Copacabana. The location is not ideal for travelling in the rest of the city, it is a bit further out than other hostels. However the view from the hostel balcony is amazing and there is a beautiful little beach just under the hostel which is really worth going to! The staff were all very friendly. Could have been a bit cleaner. Also wifi did not work in my room.

Great location and views. I felt safe walking around the hostel, including late at night. The room was comfortable and other facilities were all good. The breakfast was nothing special but was sufficient. Thanks for helping provide a great time in Rio!

This was an amazing hostel in Rio. Vivienne, our host, was extremely welcoming, very friendly and very helpful. We really enjoyed meeting her. We stayed in the private room with en suite bath, and the view from the room onto the beach was breathtaking. The shower and facilities were great, and I strongly recommend this hostel.

• 31st Dec 2014
  • Couple, 41+

I stayed with Solar Chacara between 30 dec and 4 jan. Although the Hostel seemed a bit far away from everything, it's actually very close to Leblon and Ipanema. The bus stop was just down the street and buses come very frequent,or I could just have a small walk. The staff was amazing (thanks guys). They made me feel welcome and were very helpful. The Hostel has an amazing view of the sea, from the mutual balcony, where I could have breakfast or a drink in the evening I will definitely stay..

• 30th Dec 2014
  • phermkens6569

Very friendly and helpful staff, they helped us carrying our suitcases and offered us cake when they had a birthday party. Location is also very good 10 minute walk from Leblon beach they have a beautiful view. I do have two small improvements. During our 6 night stay the room/bathroom was only cleaned one time. And the breakfast could have been a little bit more varied, some more fresh products would have been nice.

Very solid alternative to expensive hotels at Ipanema and Copacabana. The view is spectacular and it's just 10 min from Leblon. The private room was ok. Next time will book deluxe. It feels like a home atmosphere and they can even cook for you; breakfast was awesome. Disadvantages are two: (1) cats and dogs in the house - one pied right next to my window; overall you can smell them everywhere - too many, (2) the hostel is right at the bottom of favela and it's not 100% safe.

Really helpful and understanding :)

Excellent location overlooking the beach and bay. A short walk down onto the main road and you've access to buses, taxis and the small beach behind the Sheraton Hotel. You could also walk onto the main beaches at Leblon and Ipanema. The hostel is very friendly and the bar and social area is great.

Not as far away from the main areas as it looks and well served by passing buses. Was pretty quiet whilst I was there.

Unfortunately I have to give you and average for facilities because of the wi-fi. The antenna should be in a place where the signal is distributed around the house and guest have good access.

Everything was great until we were checking out and I wanted to settle up in my bill. Then they told me they only accepted cash. Luckily between 3 ofus we had enough but I think they should have told me on the website when I booked or at least when we checked in.

• 21st Sep 2013

The views are incredible!

Breakfast is okay, the big terrace with a view to the ocean is amazing and can be used whenever you want to. Room is okay, but a little bit cold. In our opinion the bathroom needs a little bit of renovation. However the staff was great and very helpful all the time! all in all a great value for the price and area in Rio as everything is really expensive!

As soon as I arrived Sandra was very friendly. With all necessaries informations. The place has an amazing view. Easy to catch the bus or if you prefer to walk in 10 minutes you will be in Leblon. The restroom are clean, the breakfast great withfruits, juice, cheese, ham, bread.

• 17th Aug 2013

It was the best Hostel that I tried on RIO. Sandre, the host, was a really nice person. Wera are at 10 minutes to Leblon beach. The hostel was a very beautiful house. The vue on the sea is amazing. I recommand this place definitely. If i come back to Rio, I'll be back to Solar Chacara Hostel. The place was really good. Thanks a lot Sandra.

Lovely place, out of the main hussle and bussle of the city. Good transport links and a fantastic little beach. Relaxing and really welcoming. Thank you! Main hostel house really lovely.

Me and my wife stayed for 4 nights from 9 - 11 May 2013. The hostel owners were very welcoming and extremely helpful, helping us to organise onward travel. Vivienne, the owner, makes a fabulous cairprinha, and really makes you feel at home. The hostel is set on the hillside and has amazing views out to sea, it only takes 10 minutes to walk to Leblon which has some good restaurants and a nice beach. The hostel is pretty cool, a big house that's been opened up to guests. I would stay here again.

• 9th May 2013