Solar Chacara Hostel Reviews

Av Niemeyer 180, Estrada do Vidigal 701, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Very solid alternative to expensive hotels at Ipanema and Copacabana. The view is spectacular and it's just 10 min from Leblon. The private room was ok. Next time will book deluxe. It feels like a home atmosphere and they can even cook for you; breakfast was awesome. Disadvantages are two: (1) cats and dogs in the house - one pied right next to my window; overall you can smell them everywhere - too many, (2) the hostel is right at the bottom of favela and it's not 100% safe.

Really helpful and understanding :)

Excellent location overlooking the beach and bay. A short walk down onto the main road and you've access to buses, taxis and the small beach behind the Sheraton Hotel. You could also walk onto the main beaches at Leblon and Ipanema. The hostel is very friendly and the bar and social area is great.

Not as far away from the main areas as it looks and well served by passing buses. Was pretty quiet whilst I was there.

Unfortunately I have to give you and average for facilities because of the wi-fi. The antenna should be in a place where the signal is distributed around the house and guest have good access.

Everything was great until we were checking out and I wanted to settle up in my bill. Then they told me they only accepted cash. Luckily between 3 ofus we had enough but I think they should have told me on the website when I booked or at least when we checked in.

• 21st Sep 2013

The views are incredible!

Breakfast is okay, the big terrace with a view to the ocean is amazing and can be used whenever you want to. Room is okay, but a little bit cold. In our opinion the bathroom needs a little bit of renovation. However the staff was great and very helpful all the time! all in all a great value for the price and area in Rio as everything is really expensive!

As soon as I arrived Sandra was very friendly. With all necessaries informations. The place has an amazing view. Easy to catch the bus or if you prefer to walk in 10 minutes you will be in Leblon. The restroom are clean, the breakfast great withfruits, juice, cheese, ham, bread.

• 17th Aug 2013

It was the best Hostel that I tried on RIO. Sandre, the host, was a really nice person. Wera are at 10 minutes to Leblon beach. The hostel was a very beautiful house. The vue on the sea is amazing. I recommand this place definitely. If i come back to Rio, I'll be back to Solar Chacara Hostel. The place was really good. Thanks a lot Sandra.

Lovely place, out of the main hussle and bussle of the city. Good transport links and a fantastic little beach. Relaxing and really welcoming. Thank you! Main hostel house really lovely.

Me and my wife stayed for 4 nights from 9 - 11 May 2013. The hostel owners were very welcoming and extremely helpful, helping us to organise onward travel. Vivienne, the owner, makes a fabulous cairprinha, and really makes you feel at home. The hostel is set on the hillside and has amazing views out to sea, it only takes 10 minutes to walk to Leblon which has some good restaurants and a nice beach. The hostel is pretty cool, a big house that's been opened up to guests. I would stay here again.

• 9th May 2013

A beautiful hostel+guest house in a house of a family of amazing people. Private atmosphere. Awesome loft-style common space and overwhelming view. caution: House is outside of Leblon, slightly uphill and close to the favela Vidigal, so you should follow some basic safety rules!. The house is close to a dream-beach, you can also walk to Vidigal or Leblon, frequent buses to Copacabana or city. If u look for nightlife and shopping: wrong address. If u want to relax, this is your place!

Three lads travelling to Rio, had an amazing experience at this hostel. Extremely friendly owners with a very secure location. Conveniently located only 5 minutes walk away from Ipanema beach. Very spacious rooms and bathrooms with hot water. Only small problem was that there was not much tourist information given, we couldn't find a map in the hostel. However, this was a minor inconvenience and we will definitely return to this hostel if we come back to Rio.

This is one of the best (or maybe the best) hostels I have ever been. It is quiet with a wonderful view and perfect, when you want to relax. Extremely friendly staff and excellent facilities. I spent 7 nights there and I almost felt at home. The hostel is not to far to Ipanema, but you have to walk a bit. To the center, it takes some time riding buses.

The staff were the nicest I have ever come across in all my travels. They make a mean feijoada (traditional brazilian dish) and caiparinhas on demand. It`s location is not quite central enough to stumble back to in a drunken stupor, but it is an easy walk from all the action and offers a glimpse of favela life. The only pitfall was weak Wi Fi.

what a great hostel,one of the best i have ever stayed in,great location even tho at first i was bit worried it might be little inconvenient turned out to be perfectly safe and well situated,really friendly people and great value for money,,they even cooked for us some of the nights and was able to try some great traditional food,,this is a top hostel and couldn't recommend higher...keep up the good work : )

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels