South Gate Guesthouse Reviews

38 Guangming Road, Kenting, Taiwan

Thought it was a bit expensive compared to what we've paid elsewhere in Taiwan

• 8th Sep 2014

ok, so i was only in this city for one day, the weather was not cooperative, so i decided to go back up to taipei. its quite a large hostel, lots of space and facilities (though i wasnt there long enough to take advantage of them) the beds are large, but the mattress is quite thin. the woman in charge is incredible. i forgot some of my belongings at the hostel before i caught the bus. so she brought them to me! i was amazed. thanks so much!

This hostel is not renovated. It is basically a CLINIC SETTING. Worse, at night, it is like a haunted house because the wind chime of the clock screams every hour. There are animals in the corridor and moves time to time. It's horrible. Horrible and ghostly experience in this crazy hostel.

The clinic was renovated with new showers, toilets, new private rooms with new air conditioners. The room you were in were shared dome room, freshly painted with new bed linen on antique solid beds. If you want a more upscale and private room, we might be able to upgrade you if the other rooms are not taken already at a discounted rate. The animals were pet guinea pigs that most guests found adorable, the clock chimes not scream. We could relocate if you had mentioned it being noisy.

Very nice. Clean. Friendly staff. Good location. For those who aren't used to no air conditioning in summer, I suggest you don't stay at a hostel. It's common practice to not offer air conditioning in a hostel. Since I am used to it, it wasn't not a problem for me.

the room given had many cockroaches running around, the whole place was filled with mosquitoes. staff wanted to charge for changing room so we didnt take it. was not a good experience.

If you're just looking for a place to crash, it is fine for that. But the atmosphere is odd and kind of creepy...I think the building used to be some kind of clinic. There was no one else staying there the few nights we were there, which was strange. When we arrived, staff members were nowhere to be found and we had to call them on the phone to get them to show up. That was pretty standard the whole time we were there--there were just never any staff around, although they were helpful enough.

We noticed that the lower score comments tend to be coming from guests who booked the lowest priced room, the shared dorm room. Very similar to a family run bed and breakfast place in the US, or an airbnb host, we don't have a front desk, or a 24 hour room attendant. A hotel might be a more suitable choice, if you need service around the clock. Most guests were very self reliant, email or call if they have questions. We are always available to answer your questions.

Nice hostel very close to the bus terminal . A lot of great commun area. The only problem was that We meet a few insects Which was not very pleasent.

Friendly owner, they gave me some local food to try. There were towels and mineral bottle. The rooftop was nice to relax. Location is perfect, just 1-2 min to the busstation and shops (7/11, family markt, Scooter rent...). Two thing which could be better: the door was all day open, I didn't get a key and there was no locker. So I had to bring all my valuables to the beach, which is not too good either. And then there were ants everywhere. The lady said it is because of the climat. Bring spray wi

The bed was very hard, and we were woken up several times during the night.

• 22nd Jun 2014

Great location, friendly staff. The 4-person room was very peaceful even though it was Saturday evening. Our only complaint is that there was no warm water in the shower in the evening, so had to take a cold shower.

• 24th May 2014
  • Latvia

The staff is very nice, The decoration is simple but clean. A little bit far away from Kenting main street, but it would not a problem if u had hired a motor bike. This hostel has a large common area and a sheltered garden. I spent a few days at this hostel and I had very good experience.

We stayed there for 3 nights and it was perfectly comfortable. Rooms were clean, rooftop was enough large and convenient with kitchen and laundry space. All the staff was so helpful. I will definitely choose this cozy place for next visit in Hengcheng.

Really nice people and awesome location. The dorm itself is pretty charming and the City around interesting. A lot of activities are recommendable and the stuff will help you with all of that. There english ist great btw. 5 out of 5

View all Kenting Bed and Breakfasts