Southern Laughter Backpackers

8.5
Fabulous 730 Total Reviews

• England, Female, 25-30
24th Apr 2017

Really enjoyed my stay at southern backpackers. Location was great. The only thing that let the place down was the staff. Little bit rude and unorganised.

• New Zealand, Male, 41+
23rd Apr 2017

Great place if you don't mind a bit of grunge. Staff were excellent and really helpful - I was staying there to walk the Routeburn and wasn't that interested in spending a huge amount on an hotel room in Queenstown. If I was with my wife I don't think she'd have been too impressed! But will definitely stay there again as awesome value for money and can store equipment not wanting to take on the walks. I left my mountain bike there (I rode a mountain bike race in Hawea the day before).

• Germany, Female, 31-40
23rd Apr 2017

Hostel was fine. Very handy was the car park. Free hot pool. Stayed in one of the rooms with a small kitchen which I didnt really enjoy as everything was smelling like food in the room. We were 8 girls in the room and just one bathroom. The guy on the reception was very nice and helpful. Location couldnt have been better. Just 5 minutes walk away from Fergburger/ city center/ gondola. Went for breakfast to bespoke kitchen which is just opposite frthe hostel! Just as a tip it is a lovely cafe!!!

• Macau, Couple, 25-30
22nd Apr 2017
6.9

Pros: 1. Very close to skyline gondola, about 5 minutes walk 2. Heat in the room 3. Good price 4. A lot of good jokes on the wall Cons: 1. The double room is a little too small, I can barely walk if I have luggage on the ground 2. The lock is very easy to break for your room 3. There supposed to be two shower room, but one shower head is broken, so only one shower room can be use Worst thing - we got a false fire alarm in the middle of the night

• Germany, Female, 18-24
17th Apr 2017

It is a really nice hostel, we really enjoyed the free soup in the evening. It is located close to the centre and offers parking spots. We would stay there again, but I hope the stuff will be more friendly next time.

• Netherlands, Couple, 25-30
16th Apr 2017

One of our favorites in NZ! Excellent staff, very patient and helpful. When we requested a quiet room, they upgraded us to a private! Comfy beds, cool common areas with great views, plus movies and free popcorn. 2 separate kitchens so it never felt overcrowded. Perfect location, esp for the gondola/Tiki Trail. Awesome hot tub, popcorn, free soup every night, and if you're in the city on a Monday, you HAVE to stay here just for the delicious free chili! Missing it already. Just stay here :)

• USA, Female, 31-40
15th Apr 2017

Staff was extremely friendly and even let my friend and I store our bags while we did the Routeburn track. Location is not right smack in the middle of town but only a few blocks from the center and is much quieter. It's very close to the gondola. Rooms were clean. We stayed at another hostel in the center of town and it was awful. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Uruguay, Female, 25-30
15th Apr 2017

The private room was kind of small and lack of hangers. The bathrooms and showers were good. Spacious kitchen. Free and unlimited wifi which is a plus but it disconnected the second you stop looking for something in the web. Good amount of parking spaces. Excellent location, walking distance to the centre.

• New Zealand, Couple, 25-30
13th Apr 2017
2.0

BEWARE – Southern Laughter will CANCEL your booking without warning! We had booked 3 nights but unfortunately weren’t able to make the first night. When we called the next morning, halfway to Queenstown, they told us they had: cancelled our booking, were ‘fully booked’, & ‘would need to find somewhere else’. There was no call/email before they cancelled the booking. While we were happy paying for the first night, Southern Laughter weren’t interested in helping & did not refund us. Disappointing

• USA, Female, 18-24
9th Apr 2017

Awesome place! One of my favorite hostels that I've ever been too. Would definitely stay here again. Awesome location and such a cute place!