Southern Laughter Reviews

4 Isle St, Queenstown, Queenstown, New Zealand

Staff we're really helpful at organising activities for us In Queenstown, the room was great we had a mini kitchen and shared bathroom, always being cleaned by staff, plenty of parking space and we got free popcorn and soup- very close to main streets - great hostel

Of all the hostels I've ever stayed in, Southern Laughter is absolutely my favorite. Nothing but fantastic experiences there, probably due to it's stunning location and friendly atmosphere. The free soup at dinner is the bomb.

Great, friendly staff. They helped us arrange everything. Really fun place to meet other travelers. Set up is weird as rooms are all over the property. Also, Wifi only worked in common areas and not our room. But that's the only complaint. Definitely go here if you are younger and looking to meet travelers easily.

Only problem was with making follow-up reservations; first, these were incorrectly booked into the system. And second, when I raised the issue and was assured I would not be mistakenly charged, I was mistakenly charged. I then had to contest the payment with my credit card company and then again with the hostel.It was annoying that I had to go through all of this after speaking with two staff members explicitly about it at the hostel itself...

Lovely staff (lots of English, therefore probably biased). Room was ok - own fridge and kettle. En suite could gave been cleaner, as could communal areas... Great location though.

This place was great. 7 of us got the 8 bed room for two nights, and it had a small living area and kitchen (although the cabinets and plates and things were oddly damp). It's close to the hear of Queenstown, and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

I really liked the Soup, the main kitchen and the friendly staff at this hostel. Definitely one of the better ones I've stayed with a great atmosphere! The beds were comfy as well. Lovely place.

Great place to stay, though lots of long term residents who have gotten into the habit of leaving doors unlocked as they all know each other. Not so reassuring for the security conscious new comer who would rather people didn't climb in through windows! Other than that the hostel was clean, staff were very friendly and helpful.

We have stayed here four times now and that should say something. Very easy to get to with being close to the centre and only a short walk to the Gondola. The building is showing its age but still offers a warm atmosphere. Pity about the bed leg breaking LOL. I hope it has been repaired properly now.

• 14th Nov 2014
  • New Zealand
  • Couple, 41+

Staff were really helpful in booking activities, but hostel was pretty noisy well part midnight, made it hard to get a good night's sleep if you had an early start.

Lovely place and great atmosphere. Really allows people to hang out and build a community in such a short space of time. Free soup too and helpful peeps behind the desk... happy days :)

Best hostel we have stayed in! Good facilities; staff are really nice and the people that stayed there were friendly too (created by the hostels great atmosphere); free use of a spa pool which was lovely! Rooms are clean and spacious. Great value for money.

everything was excellent!!! except for the shower next to the main office!!! the water just won't drain fast enough so you end it up with soupy dirty water right up your feet,,,, but is easy to fix this problem just get some drain powder cleaner or just add a mix or vinegar and baking soda ;-) Big thanks to Rachel from the reception she is a awesome Girl Chris

The room is absolutely empty excepy two iron bunk beds. No chair even a cloth hanger. People ocan easily get into our room from the window, unless we shut the window, but that would become fresh airless in the room.n the street. The old wooden hostel is in regent need of renovation.

Southern laughter, more like southern hell! The toilets were discussing, there was constantly pee all over the seat and floor, the showers weren't any better. The kitchen was unusable, with food and dirt everywhere, plus fridge did not work at all. Some staff were rude

Kia Ora! Thanks for your feedback, we are disappointed that Southern Laughter did not meet your expectations. We make it a priority to Clean the toilets, showers, and kitchens throughout the day, however as you can imagine the kitchens in particular do get untidy at peak times. We have taken your comments on board and will try to rectify any issues :-)

We went solely for the snow so just were after a place to crash in the evenings. This is a party hostel however so if you expect a good nights rest think again. It was our second visit and both times it was noisy until the early hours needless to say we've learnt our lesson. If you want to party stay here ;)

I had the private room, bed was comfy enough room to put my stuff. Had shared bathroom which was clean and showers worked perfectly. Staff very helpful with organising stuff or showing people where to go. Hot tub was perfect after a day on the feet. And everyone i met there was great company as well...

• 29th Aug 2014

Southern Laughter was an awesome place to stay! My boyfriend and I had a private room which was warm and cosy. It was close to everything and the staff were really helpful. I would definitely stay there again/recommend others to stay there as well.

Brilliant, don't stay anywhere else in Queenstown!

Best place to stay! Everyone is so bubbly and looking to help you. Extremely relaxed, it's kind of like staying in your own little apartment rather than just dorm rooms. Great place to meet people

• 17th Jul 2014