Southern Laughter Reviews

4 Isle St, Queenstown, Queenstown, New Zealand

The room is absolutely empty excepy two iron bunk beds. No chair even a cloth hanger. People ocan easily get into our room from the window, unless we shut the window, but that would become fresh airless in the room.n the street. The old wooden hostel is in regent need of renovation.

Southern laughter, more like southern hell! The toilets were discussing, there was constantly pee all over the seat and floor, the showers weren't any better. The kitchen was unusable, with food and dirt everywhere, plus fridge did not work at all. Some staff were rude

Kia Ora! Thanks for your feedback, we are disappointed that Southern Laughter did not meet your expectations. We make it a priority to Clean the toilets, showers, and kitchens throughout the day, however as you can imagine the kitchens in particular do get untidy at peak times. We have taken your comments on board and will try to rectify any issues :-)

We went solely for the snow so just were after a place to crash in the evenings. This is a party hostel however so if you expect a good nights rest think again. It was our second visit and both times it was noisy until the early hours needless to say we've learnt our lesson. If you want to party stay here ;)

I had the private room, bed was comfy enough room to put my stuff. Had shared bathroom which was clean and showers worked perfectly. Staff very helpful with organising stuff or showing people where to go. Hot tub was perfect after a day on the feet. And everyone i met there was great company as well...

• 29th Aug 2014

Southern Laughter was an awesome place to stay! My boyfriend and I had a private room which was warm and cosy. It was close to everything and the staff were really helpful. I would definitely stay there again/recommend others to stay there as well.

Brilliant, don't stay anywhere else in Queenstown!

Best place to stay! Everyone is so bubbly and looking to help you. Extremely relaxed, it's kind of like staying in your own little apartment rather than just dorm rooms. Great place to meet people

• 17th Jul 2014
  • Austria

I will visit next time because the price not expensive and located in good estate !

Very good location in queenstown and great value for money,very clean and good atmosphere,the girls Rachel and keiglea were very nice and helpfull,if I visit queenstown again I will stay again Cheers Danny (Ireland)

• 4th Jul 2014

Thanks, Always nice to hear positive comments about the team

Great hostel, having small kitchen and sitting area in the room was awesome.

• 1st Jul 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Thanks for the Great review, Glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Though we signed up for a 4 bed room, we were unaware that we'd be sharing a toilet with another large room. The toilet and the shower were in the same room, so it was difficult to find a time when the toilet was free, especially during high traffic times. The room itself wasn't bad but the common area wasn't clean. While I recognize this is not necessarily the hostel's fault, it was very off-putting. Not the worst, but not the best hostel in QT. Also had someone enter our LOCKED room at 2am.

We apologize that the room wasn't completely satisfactory for you, The room is listed on hostelworld as a four bed dorm with shared bathroom, and the unit you where in is only sharing with another four bed room, other bathrooms are available around the hostel for your use when the one in your unit is occupied. As for someone entering your room, it was an unfortunate misunderstanding with another guest and the situation was explained to you when you spoke to us the next morning. happy travels.

loved all the extra amenities, free popcorn, tea, coffee and soup. The spa was great too, the staff is very friendly and super helpful

• 27th Jun 2014

Very friendly and helpful staff, great location and I liked the way in which the rooms were set up with a kitchen and lounge for each room.

• 23rd Jun 2014
  • New Zealand

Stayed in a double room with windows that looked into a hallway, so had to keep blinds closed at all times for privacy. Kitchen was big enough, and clean, but bathrooms were disgusting (mostly due to male hostel residents, but one shower was actually in need of repair). Good location two blocks from main street. Off road free parking, hot tub, and free soup and wifi were all appreciated. Residents were loud at night. Door to building stayed unlocked and just a button doorknob lock to room.

Booked myself in for 2nights so I could get the feel of the area and see where I wanted to stay. In the end I have booked myself in for another to weeks and would like to stay here till the end of my trip. It's a awesome place to stay! Staff are so helpful and lovely. It's off the high street so you don't get street noise. But you will be in town in 3mins! The soup is beautiful and the hot tub is amazing on a cold evening and the other guest are fantastic too. Wouldn't want to stay anywhere else

Our double bedroom was small but for the price it was still good value for money. The shared kitchen area with another room of 3 was very basic with the cooker not working properly and a TV from the 80s but, again, you get what you pay for! The main annoyance was the WIFI which we we couldn't connect to in our room. Had to go to the communal areas to get online and even then it was painfully slow.

Great staff, free WiFi, free soup, free hot tub. Can't ask for much more than that.

I stayed in a 4 bed room and I was impressed to have a kitchen in the room as well as lots of space. Would be a good place to get a group of 4 to share. If you want free internet access don't try the wifi here though, go for a walk to one of the tourist places down the road.

First off, I booked a 4-bed female dorm and ended up with 2 male roommates, so they definitely screwed up that one. The hostel was old. Our room smelled, and one guy seemed like he had been there for at least a week. The shower did not drain well and the roof above leaked. It seemed like the place was hanging on my a thread. They also said there were lockers, but I never saw any.

really cool hostel, the friendliest staff, close to everything you need to get to and a free bowl of yummy soup every night. pretty good deal!! :)