Southern Volunteer Adventure Reviews

5147-00506, 62315-00200, Nairobi, Kenya

No Rating

I wanted a cheap place because I was arriving late and leaving early so I wasn't going to be fussy but I still expected this to be a hostel. There are no signs for it so it is very hard to find, when I did find it a man answered and had never heard of the hostel but confirmed the number I had was his landlords number. It is an apartment with rooms to rent. There is no wifi or facilities or staff. I do not think it should be on hostelworld as it is not a hostel IMHO.

Sorry the man you found was booked in by his agent so he may not have paid attention to the name of the property. name.We have airport pick-up service hence we prefer to pick our guests from the airport since it is more convenient for us and the guests especially if the visitors are arriving at old hours.We have workers who live near the house and internet facilities are available.We have provided a cell phone number in case you experience difficulties.

At the time of booking, I thought I'd booked for a 'hostel', but this was a room in an appartment on the 5th floor of a block of flats. (Although we had our own bedroom, the appartment awas shared with other people we had not met. The room was clean. There was no lift - we had heavy bags. We were met at the airport by the owner, it would have been difficult to find the place without this. -

• 4th Feb 2012

We stayed at this hostel for one night before heading out on our safari in September. Henry the young fellow that worked there was helpful and pleasant. This is a hostel for locals only, not really for tourists and I wouldn't recommend it. The hostel is located in a very dangerous area near the Kiberia slum, and we were told that we could not walk by ourselves in the neighborhood, day or night. It was also very difficult to find and the access is not easy, but secure with large gates and locks.

The owner picked me up at the airport(extra fee)even I didn't book the room in advance. I don't know about the average safari fee in Kenya but I paid $150 for the car(gas+driver). It's not include the entrance fee. There was no hot water but they fixed it next day. The room is very quiet and very clean.

George (the owner/operator) was very helpful to us and, for a fee, drove us around every day we were there. We combined some places that we had wanted to see with some places that he recommended, and it went off very well. The hostel has apartment style units, with a living room, kitchen, balcony, etc. It has more of an apartment feel than a hostel, but it did the job very well for us. I'd stay there again.

• 2nd Mar 2011

Economy at its best ... good restaurant near by .... access to market excellent .... CLEAN ... comfortable ... bed was good and water was hot ... George was wonderful ... Go !