Space Hotel Reviews

380 Russell Street, Melbourne, Australia

The perfect accommodation for single or group travelers.

Getting the bad out of the way first, the staff failed to deliver an important message to me left by my tour group. If I were not the type to call the day before no matter what, I would have been in big trouble. That major snafu aside, this hostel is terrific with one exception. Clean bathrooms, comfy beds with well furnished rooms, terrific common spaces. There is however a distinct howl of the wind on the upper floors due to the shape of the building. With heavy wind, this howl is very loud.

I did not like how the staff did not clean/change the main blankets that are used in the bed. The bathrooms for the most part get cleaned but they can get really messy as well with a bad odour. Maybe have an easier paper towel roll on the table in the kitchen. It's impossible to tear off a piece. Other than that, the location is great, staff are friendly and the facilities are nice to hang around in.

• 6th Jul 2014

Clean place, good location however very sterile atmosphere. Quite dull and some staff were just plain rude and apathetic!

great location - a short walk between lygon st and the cbd. good value for money.will be going back next time we're in Melbourne

The best hostel I've ever been. Really clean, great lounge room, terrace with an amazing view and a jacuzzi, nice workout area, big kitchen with space for storage. The only thing that wasn't good was the ridiculous price that they charge for the internet. 24h or 600MB 10 dollars or 1 week and 4Gb for 40 dollars. That's too much!

Thank you for your kind words. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and can’t wait to serve you again in the future!!!!Internet in Australia is highly competitive and overly priced. At Space Hotel, having the convenience of internet access without the hassles of contracts, is easy. Our prices are reasonable and affordable. Ask any of our friendly reception team and they will help you with access.

I would stay there again and would tell people to stay there.

Good: the location is awesome and hotel has good facilities. The rooms are very nice. Bad: Staff don't know how to work in hospitality, unfriendly and not helpful. Bathroom setup is weird. You could go to another place for this price. I've stayed at Miami Hotel and Claremont guesthouse, staff was much nicer and prices were better for similar stay (yet better service).

The hot tub is awesome.

Definitely one of the best "large" hostels I've ever stayed in. It is very centrally located in Melbourne and offers lots of opportunities that might even prevent you from exploring the city such as the beautiful rooftop terrace with jacuzzi or the large and well-equipped kitchen where you can cook your own meal instead of having to eat out every day in pricey Melbourne. Only point of criticism: wifi could be free at least for those who pay the add-on for a private room.

It was a great place to stay, location was central, quiet at night time, nice bar, our room was nice and the kitchen was nice and big. The only criticism I could make would be the bathrooms. Although there were plenty of them, they were not always that well kept. Clean,yes but the layout of them doesn't do any justice as 90% of the time the floors were covered in water.If there was a shower tray or at least a step or guard blocking the shower floor to the rest of the bathroom it would be great.

Nice rooms but in my room the air condition was too cold. Had to sleep in a jogger. Big kitchen with good stuff for cooking. Really nice rooftop to relax and hang around in the yakuzi. 10 minutes walk to the Federation square and art museeum. Staff was ok.

I'd definitely stay here again. Big hostel, nice clean facilities, great location for walking around downtown. We really enjoyed the night-time view from the rooftop hot tub.

The staff at the reception was not verry good trained and not helpful as possible (e.g. information re. public transport, shops, train to the airport). At the reception there should be at least one person familiar with the local infrastructure. Someone has stolen a milk out of a bag labeled with my name in the fridge. The staff didn't care. The gym was not opened at 7:00 as stated according to the opening hours. It was still close at 7:30.

• 21st Feb 2014

Very clean and modern hostel. I had a single room which was more hotel than hostel. The toilets and showers are within the same cubicle and sometimes in the morning it was hard to access. Wii Fii was a bit of a rip off but overall the place was ultra clean with secure entry. I wasn't disturbed at all by noise during my stay.

Really good place to stay cheap clean staff all very good. Bar nice and clean and the pizza is wicked and really a really good price. Toilets and showers very clean stayed there 3 nights and they were spotless dorms were clean big locker for your backpack or case just remember a padlock if your in Melbourne give it a go

I stayed at Space for nearly 3 weeks and loved the place. The whole place is very clean, the dorms and bathrooms are modern and comfortable. The location is awesome, in the north of the CBD so can walk everywhere. The jacuzzi on the roof is an added bonus with a nice view over the city. Facilities are all excellent and the bar/restaurant downstairs always has good deals on food and drink. Only downside is you can't BYO drinks so if you're looking for a party hostel this is not the place.

Overall, Space Hotel is very central and economical for my needs. As the hotel is fairly new, there is a fresh feel about the place that makes staying there comfortable.

I really like this hostel and this was my second time staying. My only issue is that it wasn't as peaceful the second time round. It's supposed to be a dry hostel yet a lot of people were visibly drinking on the roof terrace and in the kitchen this in turn led to the hostel not being as quiet to sleep in during the night which was a shame

The staff here and very friendly and helpful. We received a complimentary upgrade to and ensuite room upon arrival which only further improved our stay. Rooms and clean and pleasant and the hotel is situated in an ideal location. Great for backpackers and visitors to melbourne alike.