Spenard Hostel International Reviews

2845 W 42nd, Anchorage, USA

The Spenard is well located to the airport but is a ways out of downtown. This didn't cause many issues because of the close proximity to the bus stop. It has a very traditional "hostel" feel with lots of common rooms and places to hang out. Highly recommended for people with time to stay around Anchorage but if only one day being closer downtown may be better. I would definitely stay again.

Great staff and good hostel with a good friendly vibe. Its right next to the airport (15 minute walk) , but its way out of town with no supermarkets or attractions near by, they do have pushbikes for hire though.

They gave me a bed that was almost impossible to get into because it was blocked off by another bunk bed. They did allow me to switch to another bed when I told them how difficult it was to get into and out of the bed but they acted like it was a big hassle even though there were plenty of empty bottom bunks available. I've stayed in many hostels and this one had the least friendly staff and the dirtiest bathrooms. But it was a cheap place to stay and there was the use of the kitchen.

• 22nd May 2014

We apologize if you misunderstood our process when you wanted to change bunks. It's no problem to move you, we just needed to double check our reservations to make sure we put you in a bunk that was available for the duration of your stay to save you the inconvenience of having to move. Regarding bathroom cleanliness, while we can't clean after every person, the bathrooms are cleaned both morning and evening, and as all of the staff live here, touched up frequently throughout the day.

Really warm and welcoming atmosphere! Little bit far out of town but it's a good thing. I arrived late and there was a welcoming note and my bed was made!

I loved this place. Clean, very quiet, friendly, and most importantly, a great vibe (as we say in California.) I stayed there for a week and a half and will stay there when I visit again.

Criminals stay here. So do homeless people. My pants were stolen. It's a halfway house disguised as a hostel. Terrible. The staff is nice, but seriously? I can't believe I slept next to someone who was headed to jail the next day.

• 29th Sep 2013

We're sorry to hear you had a bad experience.The owner and staff live at the hostel, and we work very hard to create a safe home and business. Discrimination laws prevent us from removing a guest without cause, but had anyone reported that they felt uncomfortable or a theft occured, we would have been quick to take action. The staff enjoy living here and engaging with our guests, and we are sorry that we did not percieve the problem that you did and that your stay was less than ideal.

I had a problem with theft so I would not recommend to anyone to stay at this location

• 13th Sep 2013

We are sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. As the hostel is both home and workplace for the staff, we take security very seriously, as evidenced by our key coded front door and camera system. Additonally, while most guests feel comfortable leaving their things in their dorm, we do have plenty of free lockers available. As a general rule, we have very few problems with theft, but, of course, this doesn't help with what was taken from you, and for this we apologize.

It would be nice to be able to pay via paypal or check...making exact change so we could leave early to head to Denali proved to be difficult, yet we managed thanks to another guest.

Sorry to hear you had trouble making change. While we don't accept paypal payments, we do accept both travellers and personal checks.

Very friendly staff and helpful, great location near airport. A lot people came to Anchorage at midnight, this is a good place to stop by for one night or two to get some sleep and continue to explore the rest of wild Alaska.

The hostel had two cats that freely roamed wherever they wanted, which was bad for me because I am allergic to cats. I frequently woke up with a runny nose. The bikes that were available to rent were great, and the hostel is located only two miles from the costal trail.

SPENARD IS A GREAT PLACE TO FLOP FOR A FEW NIGHTS, TRAVELLING, BUT, DO NOT BOOK IT THRU HWORLD, THEY WILL ROB YOU, DEPOSIT IS THEIR SERVICE FEES, WATCH OUT, JUST CALL THE HOSTEL, AND CONFIRM IN EMAIL,,

I immediately felt welcome and comfortable at Spenard. The staff was fun, informative, friendly, and curteous. My fellow travelers and I all remarked that this is one of the best hostels we've ever stayed in.

We think it's one of the best hostels we've ever stayed in, too, but as we live and work here, we're a little biased. ;)

They have two cats in there hostel. It smells really strong of cats, especially downstairs the smell is really strong.

We are so sorry about this! Our tiny Esmeralda was sick this spring and did have an accident in the downstairs hallway. We removed the carpet in the area where there was a problem within days of when this occurred, so no more smell. And the cat is all better, too. ;)

The place has everything you need in a good location. Good value for money and the staff were awesome and really helpful. Weird reception hours.

The office hours are really what bothered me the most at this hostel. There is no one at the desk all afternoon. So if you are arriving and cannot find the place and want to call for directions (which I did at around 4-5pm), there is no one to answer the phone. Also, the internet machine did not work, so I was unable to check my email.

We are very sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than ideal, as we work very hard to make sure that our guests have the best possible experience, and we certainly appreciate your feedback so that we can do our best to improve. The office is closed in the afternoon, as very few of our guests arrive during these hours, and we still provide 24 hour check in with a reservation. There are directions to the hostel on our website, our address is stated on the voicemail message that guests receive outside of office hours, and both local bus drivers and taxis all know where we are and will get you here. We do our best to try to help you get here, but as a smaller more intimate hostel, it's not really feasible for us to staff the front desk 24 hours. I'm also sorry to hear that you had trouble with our pay kiosk computers. They see a lot of use everyday, and if they are ever malfunctioning, a houseparent will happily take them off of pay mode and let you use them on the honor system.

Very friendly, accommodating staff-member. Warm, cozy, spacious common area. Other friendly guests. Overall a great deal! I recommend!

• 18th Aug 2012