Spenard Hostel International Reviews

2845 W 42nd, Anchorage, USA

Staff was very friendly and informative, had a great stay and would highly recommend this for any stay

• 22nd Jan 2016

Staying at the Hostel International locations is like joining freind (to be made) at a self service lodge. I like this better than a hotel room for an overnight stay in my travels. Amanda, one of the guests, even changed bunks with me, for the one night, as it was too hard for me to get into my bunk and she drove me to the airport at 6am the next morning. Everyone staying there is always friendly..I was offered a hotel room at an exhorbitant rate and said no, I will book a room at the Hostel.

• 13th Sep 2015

We're so happy you enjoyed your stay and made some new friends while you were here. Long live hostelling!

I miss my digital luggage scale. I dont know where is it? The laundry was bissy bat the clothes was not in the cleaningprocess. The absolutly no go was, that the shoes must standing outsode the house. My shoes was permanently wet in- and outside. The shoes in the house was strictly prohibitet. The rooms are a litle bit small. The baggages are during blocked the way.

We're sorry that you found your stay less than ideal, and thank you for your feedback. We do have three bathroom scales available for guests to weigh their luggage, and if there is ever anything you can't find, just ask a staff member. We're here to help! Also, we don't allow shoes to be worn in the house as it keeps things much cleaner, but as stated in our check in rules, you are more than welcome to carry them with you up to your room. We wish you safe and happy travels in the future!

Amazing space with amazing staff! Loved it!! KK supported me with my 26 glacier tour with calling and printing out necessary information. KK was always in good spirits and pleasant! Thank you KK!!! BIG hug😀😀

We're so happy you enjoyed your stay, and we're glad you love Spenard as much as we do!! Safe Travels!

I really hope Spenard is the rule rather than the exception when it comes to hostels. For my first time staying in a hostel, this was a fantastic experience.

• 20th Aug 2015

We're so happy you enjoyed your stay! We think Spenard is pretty exceptional, but we're a little biased. Safe travels!!

Amazing, super friendly staff that make you feel right at home, free tea, coffee and hot chocolate all day, cheap bike rentals. A bit far out of town, but close to the airport and right on the bus line into town. Also not far from the coastal trail.

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay! While we are not downtown, we are just a 10 minute bus ride away. We love being in the trendy Spenard neighborhood--great restaurants, bars, live music, grocery store, and outdoor gear shops all within walking distance, and easy access to nature via the coastal trail. Safe travels!

Very friendly staff and nice atmosphere :) I had a great stay!

• 16th Aug 2015

We're so happy you enjoyed your stay! Safe Travels!

The best hostel I have ever stayed.

• 31st Jul 2015
  • Taiwan

We agree! ;) Thank you!

One very good member of staff,the other not so helpful - encouraging a group of guests to be quite loud one evening, music ,singing etc right up until 11 pm,right next to dorm rooms.11 pm quiet time policy but many people have early starts planned. Great to have 3 kitchens so everyone can spread out to cook.

Thank you for your feedback, and we are sorry that you found things less than ideal. Part of the fun of hostels is making connections and spending time with new people, so when creating our policies, we have to try to balance this with our guests' need to get a good night's sleep. There is one wing of the hostel that does not have a kitchen/common area adjacent to dorms, and if guests let us know at check in that they have an early start, we do our best to accommodate by placing them here.

Staff was very helpful, but Erin seems to have a bit too much lemon in the diet. Lighten up, lady!

Oh no! You must have been here while Erin was doing her lemon cleanse, and we're sorry you found her disposition a bit sour! We kid, of course, but our staff generally have a sunny outlook on life and are hired for their love of travel, hostelling, and meeting new people. We do our best to be "on" all the time; sorry you caught one of us in an off moment.

I just had the best hostel experience I have ever had at Spenard hostel. The amazing staff made my time in Anchorage unforgettable and I miss everyone already. I honestly cannot put into words how fantastic this place is. And as a bonus you get free breakfast and access to a hair dryer, what more could you want?

• 30th May 2015

It was such a pleasure having you here, and we are so happy you took advantage of our "breakfast and hair dryers" for everyone policy!

It was really close to the airport and in a neighborhood near a McDonalds and Gas station, etc (easy to find). My flight came in very late, and we left early so we never actually saw any staff. They contacted me with a security code and I paid with a credit card and that was that. I had a bed and a shower and I was off the next morning. That's all I needed it to be, before I headed out into the woods. It would also be a nice place to clean up and rest after camping before you catch a flight.

• 22nd May 2015

We're sorry we didn't get to meet you, but happy to hear that you had a great trip!

I certainly go back to stay with Spenard. I also recommend the place to my travelling friends. The staff were so accommodating. KK and Erin were amazing. They were very kind and attentive to the guest's needs. I felt at home during my entire stay. Location is excellent as well.

• 14th May 2015

We're so happy that you enjoyed your stay, and it was a pleasure having you here! Safe Travels!

Lovely hostel, three kitchens! Four bathrooms, four dorms and two awesome friendly cats. And the surroundings are beautiful snowy mountains :)

We do feel that our kitchen to guest ratio is above average. :) Thanks for staying with us and safe travels!

Hostels are generally expensive in alaska but spenard is good value for money if you are travelling by public transport or have a private vehicle. Its in a quiet residential area, has large common spades and was quiet both times I stayed there. A great launch pad for an alaskan adventure.

• 23rd Aug 2014

Staff rude and not very helpful. Value money over hospitality, mean-spirited people. The other backpackers there made the stay enjoyable.

• 12th Aug 2014
  • Ukraine

We're so sorry you didn't enjoy your stay! The staff and owner live on site, and we do so because we love the hostel, we're dedicated to introducing guests to our amazing Spenard neighborhood and Alaska at large, and building a community of travelers. I'm very sorry that this wasn't your experience, and thank you for your feedback.

This is a great hostel if you're looking for a quick and inexpensive place to stay while you're in Anchorage for a night. I had a 13 hour layover, and the proximity to the airport makes it ideal for just this. A taxi will run you about $10 to the hostel, and if you're traveling with light baggage, it's not too far of a walk. Took me about an hour to walk there from the hostel. Staff is very friendly, but it was under renovation when I passed through, and there aren't many facilities.

stayed on two different occasions...an older place that is truly international. However, great effort if made to keep it very clean. Re-doing the floors. Looks great. About 36 bunks with only 4 bathrooms. has two house cats. Pay in cash to save - $3 credit card charge. Also, recommend you contact them direct.Note their 48 hour not 24 hour cancellation policy. Only a block away from a great bus line, couple of eating places. Just two blocks to Lake Hood w 100 planes coming n going.

clean and friendly!!! the staff was knowledgeable and helpful to an older somewhat jet lagged guest.. Great place to find your next best friend....

• 15th Jul 2014

The Spenard is well located to the airport but is a ways out of downtown. This didn't cause many issues because of the close proximity to the bus stop. It has a very traditional "hostel" feel with lots of common rooms and places to hang out. Highly recommended for people with time to stay around Anchorage but if only one day being closer downtown may be better. I would definitely stay again.