Spicypai Backpackers Reviews

291 Moo1,T. Mae Hee A. Pai, Mae Hong Son, Pai, Thailand

Didn't quite live up to all the hype but was still a cool place to stay.

It's just outside of pai, a 10 minute walk or 2 minute bike ride in a field down a short path, only small lockers available and no doors on the dorm but it's out of the way so don't get random people walking in and out, hostel is unreal for social theres an area where everyone drinks before the night out, I didn't get a pillow just a pillow case which was weird but Id brought my own anyway showers were cold aswell which I hated but you are in a field in the middle of nowhere

For a little over $5 I wasn't expecting anything amazing but that's exactly what I think spicy pai was. The location was just put of town which for pai isn't a big deal and meant you had amazing views of the mountains for a great sunset each night. I had just left my travel buddy and was thinking I wouldn't meet anyone but everyone so friendly. Such a cool place to stay and it was by far my favourite hostel on my trip around thailand

could not have wished for a better two nights! I definitely plan on coming back and for sure staying longer than this time! I could easily spend at least a couple of weeks here. Super relaxed, and super friendly staff. Shame I missed out on the social bbq event. If I was to make one comment, it would be to promote going to the bar more. Maybe it was the people I stayed with that just chose to chill in the communal space... however, I felt like it could be used more...... it is a good space!

Overall great experience. Nice place to chill and relax and the town is approx 15min walk away. So it was a nice getaway with great scenery. The common room and the bar was a great place to chill and meet people. Although the bathroom/toilet is outside it was always kept clean and so were the rooms. We stayed in the bigger dorm and it was pretty cool. Definatey a place to stay!

One of the best Hostels I ever stayed in - amazing vibe, social people, funniest dorm ever!

• 8th Jan 2015

I was really excited to stay here. It's rustic, original and just outside of town next to a rice paddy. Looked perfect! Unfortunately, the beautiful, serene setting is ruined by the idiotic partyboys and partygirls that get drunk every night and have no consideration for anyone else. One night a guy puked off his upper bunk bed then fell off the bed and into it. What a shame. I shortened my stay by 4 nights and went somewhere else.

The hostel had a good atmosphere socially - bar and communal areas with hammocks. The beds were not the most comfortable, a mattress like a PE mat. The bamboo dorms were nice but not well insulated. In fact due to the time of year my friend and I were freezing and slept in all out clothes. However the staff were friendly, there was a nice bar and a very basic free breakfast. So overall good value for money.

We had an amazing time at Spicy, so glad it was recommended to us. The place just had such a homey feel; everyone was very friendly and helpful from start to finish. I had head that Spicy used to do more day group activities to help out those who cant ride a motorbike and I would hope that they would bring that back because I think it would make the experience that much better.

• 27th Dec 2014

One of the most interesting hostels I've ever stayed at. Very cold during the night in December but incredibly beautiful scenery and has the best general atmosphere. Absolutely MUST stay here if you're in Pai.

The staff here reserved only one bed even though I had booked 2 weeks before for three people. They were not apologetic even though it was their mistake, and since the hostel was full our group was forced to split up (one stayed at spicy and the others had to go to a bungalow elsewhere) so we were not able to be together over Christmas. The hostel is nice in summer but freezing in winter. People were having sex in the dorm. Don't stay here if you don't like partying or want to sleep at all.

Thank you for taking time giving us the rate, we did already apologize for our mistake when you arrived and we upgraded two of you to stay at the private bungalow next door (50 meters away from spicypai) which it cost more than spicypai and we had pay for the extra money. and then we move two of you back to stay with us after two day.sorry if we ruin your chrismas time but we did have a BBQ chrismas party here at the hostel with 50 people. and you were invited too.

I really hated my stay at Spicypai. The staff are basically there to have a good time and you are a bother to th if you want anything. The place is like a campsite basically with little lights, cold showers (with no roof just outside) and the beds are in a room made of bamboo so very cold. I got in "late" at about 19:00 (checking is till 21) and was told because of that the blankets were being washed so I need to wait. They forgot about it and later scrambled up some dirty ones. and it's far...

If you're not looking for a party hostel, don't stay here. It will be loud until morning. The "houses" are thai style aka made of bamboo, so you can hear everything happening outside in the common area/fire. The beddings are a bit filthy (black spots on pillows, etc) and the facilities are do-able. The staff is nice. Breakfast is very underwhelming- tea, coffee, toast.

If you want to meet people then this is a great hostel for you! So many people and everyone goes put together each night. Make sure to ask for an extra blanket. It can get cold. The common area could use a couple more hammocks and cushions. And there are plugs for charging, but not by each bed. Also, it is quite a far walk into town. Overall, a great place to stay if you don't mind the walk to town.

Awesome hostel! It was pretty chilled out the 3 days I was in Pai but that was what I needed... Perfect hostel to chill and watch the sunset from. It's a short walk out of town (10-15 mins) but I always found people to jump on a bike with anyway! Met cool people. Loved the set up. Definitely recommend this hostel!!

It's a pretty cool place to stay but doesn't have windows in the window frames or doors in the door frames as its an enormous hut so at night despite having 3 blankets provided everyone in my group had woken up in the night because they were so cold. An amazing place to stay, just maybe not in Thai winter!

pros: great staff, cool layout, free coffee at breakfast, very social, value for money! cons: stay away if you want to sleep haha. I was unfortunately partied out when I got here and this place does not allow you to sleep. Beds are all interconnected so anytime someone gets in their bed yours shakes as well. Seems to be a bit of a party hostel to as people came back every night I was there loud and drunk at 3 to 4am. If that's your scene, this is your place!

Tim made this place incredibly fun. It's a great place to stay and the best place to stay if you are in Pai. It's location is decent, but everyone gets motorbikes so you can easily access town and anywhere else from Spicy. Really cool atmosphere, unlike any other hostel I've ever stayed at. Definitely not for everyone, so maybe just do two nights and see how you feel after that.

The best hostel I have stayed at yet - amazing vibes

• 20th Nov 2014
  • New Zealand

Spicy Pai was a beautiful hostel to stay in. For going back to basic it's an awesome experience staying here. I loved the chilled out area above the reception. Laying in the hammocks with a view over the field is so relaxing. It's also the place where everybody from the hostel gathers for drinking and socializing. At night time it's only freezing, more or thicker blankets would be nice!

« first « Prev 1 2 3