Spicytao Backpackers Reviews

25 M.1 T. Koh Tao A., Koh Pra Ngan, Koh Tao, Thailand

The staff is super nice and friendly and they have an amazing hang out area to chill and meet people. It's not the cleanest place on earth but I had a great time

• 2nd Nov 2015

The atmosphere/common area was great. It's a 10-15 minute walk from sairee beach and the nightlife there so still really convenient. The fan dorms had loads of fans so it didn't get overly hot. My biggest complaint was the bathrooms. Showers barely work and the bin only gets emptied every few days.

Thanks for your review. We are now working on improving cleanliness in our hostel.

Really beautiful location, very chill place to hang out. You can go out to the beach (a 5-10 minute walk) or hang out under the canopy and watch tv. There is also a pub crawl a few times a week I didn't do any dives but it sounds like a really good place to have a go. Koh Tao's taxis just seem to be just the pick up trucks, which cost 300 bhat. So if you're going to use one, try and fill it up to lessen the individual cost.

The bathrooms were very dirty, the rooms were run down. The seating area wasn't much to look at, and not many places to sit.

We are sorry about your bad stay with us. After your review we had remanage our hostel and focus more on cleanning and keeping the place clean and for this we do need people staying in the hostel participate. Since we live on the island, sand and sea water can easily get the place dirty. Thanks to those wet dogs (not even our dogs) that follow people to the common area too, now we had trainned them not to get up there. No worry about security though, our hostel is in one of the safest place..

After staying at Spicythai and Spicypai in northern Thailand, I was excited to stay at spicytao. Although it shares the same amazing backpacker's vibe, I was disappointed to find the facilities lacking and the hostel in general very dirty. The geographic location and chilling space in the hostel are awesome and give it a laid-back vibe. But the rooms were small, smelly and dirty, and the toilet in my room didn't even flush--you had to use a bucket. I changed hostels and came back to hang out.

with island limit and the very high cost of running hostel here, we try our best to offer the most we can for still a budget price. You arrived in the mid of monsoon season with peak rain and moisture. It is a hard time for us to keep hostel dry and clean. We will try better though. Thank you for staying with us and even came back to hang out.

Staff were really helpful and friendly, willing to help us plan our ongoing journey. Additional extras such as curry nights and BBQs may only be available in high season. Rural setting but still in the heart of Koh Tao

Spicytao is a kind of out in the boonies hostel, about a 10-15 minute walk to the beach. The atmosphere was super awesome with really great people, but the accommodations were pretty basic. Metal bunk beds and there is one bathroom to about every 10 people, which can be rough sometimes. One of the thing that did bother me a bit was coming back from a long day of scuba diving and having to take a cold shower. This hostel is pretty basic and out of the way, but has awesome people!

I wouldn't recommend the hostel. I mean the staff was really nice and the atmosphere was great, but one night I woke up with a cat lying next to me and me not wanting this at all. Besides, there were an awful lot of moscuitos but no protection like nets or sth else. Bathroom was ok though, considering only paying 200 baht per night. In the end, we checked out earlier cause we couldn't stand it - sorry!

STAY HERE IF YOU ARE A SOLO TRAVELER IN KOH TAO! Amazing staff - drank hung out and cooked free meals for us to take care of us. Amazing solo travelers who all hung out over meals and got super close. Honestly felt like a family. AMAZING vibe. Get there early bc their reservation system isn't the best so they sometimes overbooked. Honestly if you care about wifi or clean or comfy beds or showers then look elsewhere but if you care more about the people then you MUST STAY HERE!!

Great social vibes, great value for money and fairly close to the centre of Sairee beach

The atmosphere in spicy Tao is amazing. It's so easy to meet people there so definitely a good place to stay for sole traveller. Some rooms are quite well equipped (the rooms opposite to the reception desk), but facility in some other rooms is just not that good. Anyway, in general spicy Tao is worthy for the money paid!

Normal hostel, cheap but far away from the center and beach. Better book in person because if you book via Hostelworld they still want you to pay full price even if you pay the deposit.

Quite far away from the beach and town. Room was very disappointing, very small and not very clean. Advertised as an AC dorm but is only fans which is deceiving. Good social area for meeting people, staff good with socialising with guests. Helped organise travel which was good. You get what you pay for!!

Lo lindo es que el hostel esta en un área muy grande con mucho verde. Pero no son muy organizados. Cuando llegue s mi habitación estaban todas las camas ocupadas, tuve que yo cambiar la sabanas y limpiar el colchón. El baño estaba sucio siempre.

AWESOME hostel. If you want to make friends and have a good time stay here. Pay a little extra for the for the aircon room.

Spicytao was really great for meeting people. There's an awesome common area outside with hammocks and a TV and tables where everyone meets up to drink before going out. The staff are super friendly and hilarious, and were kowledgeable about the area. Maids come in to clean the rooms everyday, air con is amazing. Felt like home and really didn't want to leave, am definitely going to miss it here!

Great hostel ! Close to the beach, kitchen is very useful, The staff is amazing they helped us soooo much (especially Klyde) ! We are coming back for sure !!!

Best hostel I stayed in in Thailand! Massive outside social area so it's easy to meet people and a great atmosphere! Staff are very helpful and fun. Would definitely go back to spicy Tao!

I booked to stay here for 2 nights but left after 1. It is a 20 minute walk from the main bars and restaurants which is poorly lit and feels unsafe if you are alone at night. The dorms had no lock but they had small lockers to use if you had brought your own lock. There is no air con so my door was left open all night to get some air in which meant that I woke up covered in mozzie bites and a cat was asleep on the bunk next to me. Final straw was the half eaten rat left under my bed by the cat.

Staff was really helpful and friendly. Had a good atmosphere and threw a big party and BBQ for everyone when we were there. Only problem for me was the cleanliness of the rooms and specifically the bathrooms. Our bathroom was converted in fire ants and the shower didn't always work so we had to shower in other dorms. Would recommend if you want a good place to meet people.