Spicytao Backpackers Reviews

25 M.1 T. Koh Tao A., Koh Pra Ngan, Koh Tao, Thailand

Super leuk en gezellig hostel, veel leuke mensen ontmoet hier en de staff was geweldig en heel behulpzaam. De bedden waren wat hard maar de gezelligheid maakte heel veel goed. Een hele leuke tijd hier gehad!

It's alway nice to have lovely Dutchies with us ;)

Отличное место для отдыха

Spicy Tao is the best hostel on koh Tao!! It's kind of in a forested area so there are lots of mosquitos and some bugs. The rooms and bathrooms are decent, but the community area and the owner Pong make it amazing. Communal kitchen and gazebo with hammocks and a tv with tons of movies. Such a fun place to relax or party! Recommend this 100% to anyone

Nice common area Toilets and showers need some regular cleaning.

• 25th Jan 2016

Thank you for your comment. Hope you have better time up noth where thing is better for cheaper compare to this island. Living on this tropical paradise is not easy esp. for those trying to host and to reach all the expectations.

Good vibe, Alvin is a legend!

Well done Alvin! you got a fan club ;)

Absolutely loved spicy Tao, we wish we could have stayed there longer. It's a really chilled atmosphere, perfect for backpackers, with hammocks, TV with loads of movies to chill and watch, good communal area where you can either stay in and chill or all go out (10 min walk to the beach and main strip of bars). The rooms don't lock, the bathrooms aren't the most pleasant things in the world and beds are a bit hard. But the goods definitely out way the bads. I would recommend and stay again.

Lots of people quite worry about the security when our place and room is all open. But because we live in the most secure place on the island, the land owned by one of the most restpected famso we do not worry of locking every thing up (we do have lockers).

The rooms are ** (maitresses hard as a stone, doors you cant close at night and no mosquito net). However, the atmosphere is really good and you can meet a lot of people there. I'd stay there again if only they change the maitresses. Btw, if you are allergic to cats/dogs this is not your place. They are everywhere even in the rooms.

I stayed at Spicy Tao because the staff was really (everybody but especially PONG) amazing , all well traveled and full of help and advice . Definitely the cheapest accommodation on the island and for that price they cannot supply state of the are facilities but they do try to make it as pleasant and comfortable as possible . Definitely not for travelers that is afraid of cold showers and hard beds but that is very quickly forgotten when the free breakfast and the Jungle Juice parties .........

• 4th Jan 2016
  • South Africa

Great common room! Downstairs dorm may be a little noisy.

A good hostel in a nice setting (surrounded by forest) but still fairly close to everything and Sairee beach.

This place was one of the cheapest so I guess I got what I paid for... The rooms didn't have wifi and we're extremely basic. Also mine was quite a walk from the reception/social area. They should put solar lights on the path to and from the social area aswell as back to the main road. Good social atmosphere though and nice to have a free breakfast.

It is the cheapest hostel on the island ..and fix price. High season we are pretty much half the price of the others. And yes with free simple breakfast (it is more than a breakfast, it bring people together), nice common area with everything you need(sorry not everything you want) and free use of kitchen... We do our best to hlep fellow travelers enjoying this beautiful but remoted island where you can find everything like the main land but don't expect it is gonna be perfect and cheap.

A place where you enjoy yourself without actually doing anything. Wasn't feeling very social when I arrived there, but it was actually hard not to meet the nice people staying there who help create the so pleasant and relaxed atmosphere. The hostel is located a short walk from the beach and the bars which I personally was not opposed (if you're really but too lazy you can you can order food to the hostel!). I'd definitely stay here again!

We quite like our location and lucky to have this garden which only short walk to town and beach. It belong to one of the very first family on the island and the whole area is their cousin. Lots of expat are also leaving here so it is one of the very safe area of Koh Tao. It far enough to give us privacy, fresh air and no city pollution (people, noise, tigh space etc). The only concern is bringing lots of travelers here might interupt our quiet neighborhoods. But we are doing okay so far..

You get what you pay for, if you're happy to slum it and not bothered about any kind of luxury, this is a great place to stay, slightly out of the way of the main beach but okay if you hire a bike, good social atmosphere, but wouldn't stay here again, would rather pay a bit extra to be closer to the beach and have more facilities!

Probably the worst hostel I've stayed and yes i know it's cheap and you get what money's worth but not even 1 dollar is worth that.It's DIRTY it stinks and they don't clean it or they think that coming to the room 10am every day butting the lights on and they swiping from the middle of the room and then throwing bucket of water around the washing area is cleaning. None of the toilets worked, rooms were old and moldy.It is close to everything and the garden looks nice but there's 10000 mosquitos.

I stayed for a week and was calling it home by the time I left. It attracts a young group of single travelers as it’s the cheapest place on the island. The staff is amazing - Pong, the manager, will tell you all you need to know about the island whether it’s food, scuba diving, or parties. The common area is perfect &includes hammocks &a TV with hundreds of movies on it where people will gather in the evenings to chill and predrink at. In my 4 months of traveling, this was my favorite hostel!!!!

The staff is super nice and friendly and they have an amazing hang out area to chill and meet people. It's not the cleanest place on earth but I had a great time

• 2nd Nov 2015

The atmosphere/common area was great. It's a 10-15 minute walk from sairee beach and the nightlife there so still really convenient. The fan dorms had loads of fans so it didn't get overly hot. My biggest complaint was the bathrooms. Showers barely work and the bin only gets emptied every few days.

Thanks for your review. We are now working on improving cleanliness in our hostel.

Really beautiful location, very chill place to hang out. You can go out to the beach (a 5-10 minute walk) or hang out under the canopy and watch tv. There is also a pub crawl a few times a week I didn't do any dives but it sounds like a really good place to have a go. Koh Tao's taxis just seem to be just the pick up trucks, which cost 300 bhat. So if you're going to use one, try and fill it up to lessen the individual cost.

The bathrooms were very dirty, the rooms were run down. The seating area wasn't much to look at, and not many places to sit.

We are sorry about your bad stay with us. After your review we had remanage our hostel and focus more on cleanning and keeping the place clean and for this we do need people staying in the hostel participate. Since we live on the island, sand and sea water can easily get the place dirty. Thanks to those wet dogs (not even our dogs) that follow people to the common area too, now we had trainned them not to get up there. No worry about security though, our hostel is in one of the safest place..

After staying at Spicythai and Spicypai in northern Thailand, I was excited to stay at spicytao. Although it shares the same amazing backpacker's vibe, I was disappointed to find the facilities lacking and the hostel in general very dirty. The geographic location and chilling space in the hostel are awesome and give it a laid-back vibe. But the rooms were small, smelly and dirty, and the toilet in my room didn't even flush--you had to use a bucket. I changed hostels and came back to hang out.

with island limit and the very high cost of running hostel here, we try our best to offer the most we can for still a budget price. You arrived in the mid of monsoon season with peak rain and moisture. It is a hard time for us to keep hostel dry and clean. We will try better though. Thank you for staying with us and even came back to hang out.