Spicytao Backpackers Reviews

25 M.1 T. Koh Tao A., Koh Pra Ngan, Koh Tao, Thailand

Nice place. I liked that it was a bit away from the senter and all the drunken tourists. Most of the staff were really lovely. With an exeption of one american girl who yelled at us for not checking out in time. But we all have our grumpy days/weeks i suppose.. And if you don't mind bucketshowers. I don't!

• 17th Jul 2014
  • Norway

Favorite hostel! I dont mind a bit of cold showers or whatever, when the atmosphere at the hostel is so good! People paying music all day! (The guy working there is good at playing). The common room is made for meeting people! Best place if you are traveling alone. I've been there two years in a row, and I've meet several people staying there at has already been there before.. Cause you just have to get back ;)

• 24th Jun 2014
  • Denmark

Really good place to meet people! There is a social area which contains a tv and hundreds of dvds to watch. Is a bit out of the way but only takes 5mins to walk into the town. Would 100% stay here again. Staff were lovely. Facilities are very basic but if you are fine with that then you will really enjoy yourself

After staying in what I thought was going to be a reasonably priced hostel for 3 nights, i would definitely NOT stay here as a trip to the pharmacy was necessary after being eaten alive by BED BUGS in mixed fan dorm. Tried to email the staff to let them know so try could avoid this issue with other travellers but their lack of reply meant a review was necessary. Also the staff aren't friendly and the breakfast was terrible- just bread before 9am which was left and covered in ants! Unacceptable!

• 10th May 2014

Hi Alex, We're really sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us but I must contradict your review. It is incredibly unlikely that you have been bitten by bed bugs, as we have had not one other account of a guest being bitten. If we had an issue with bed bugs it would be treated and sorted immediately. I must mention that it can be very damaging to a business to use the words 'bed bugs' particularly when it's a false accusation. Also unfortunately we haven't received any email from you.

Great staff however.. Rooms were dirty a the water didn't work at all so no chance of shower or flushing the toilet. Was constantly told the water would be fixed but it wasn't. Cheap beer.

Far from city center and youvan find cheaper places for better conditions. They promaised breakfast which was never there...

Best hostel ever

• 18th Apr 2014

Terrible hostel. The beds are disgusting.. So uncomfortable and they have bed bugs. The bathrooms are the worst I've seen and the rooms are SO hot.. 1 fan for 8 people. The staff was very unfriendly as well, except for one guy.

This place is pretty basic and not te most comfortable. Overall the atmosphere was good but the bathroom was dorty and smelly and the dorm wasn't the cleanest. I wouldn't stay here again

Stayed there for 2 nights - the other backpackers I met were great and the general vibe was a lot of fun Only main downside was the bathroom - no properly functioning toilet, and the shower and taps operated like a drip!

• 9th Apr 2014

Nice idea of a hostel! In the nature, simple rooms and toilets but nice chil out area. Unfortunately an awfull staff (just very bad vibes) and an unfinished pool...

Facilities and dorms are super basic but if you can look past that it's like being at summer camp! Extremely social hostel and amazingly helpful staff (Paul is an amazing dude!). Great if you want to chill out and watch movies or if you want to party and make great friends. The hostel organized weekly activities to get everyone together such as BBQs or snorkelling trips. About a 10 min walk to town, its quiet and safe feeling at night. We stayed about a week and could've done longer!

best Hostel on Koh Tao!!!!!!!!!

A nice place with friendly staff and a nice common outdoor area. Bathrooms were gross and beds were uncomfortable, not complaining though as it is the cheapest place I've found on the Island, value for money is there.

Atmosphere - Bropacker heaven, initially unfriendly atmosphere and a real cliquey feeling. Cleanliness - Poor, bathroom was disgusting, stubble and empty product bottles everywhere, a guy p***** on the dorm floor and I didn't see it sanitised for the entire time I was there. Staff - Other than the Thai guy, Kit, the staff were super obnoxious and up themselves, how about they spend less time lazing about, drinking and smoking and more time maintaining the place?

Generally I liked the hostel, as it's good to chill out and meet people. It's very cheap and the stuff is friendly. The only thing I didn't like were dogs sleeping in my dorm. And there is no security at all. Everybody can get to your room as the hostel is on an opened ground and you can't lock the room.

Very nice hostel. Best way to meet other backpackers. Staff is great and helpfull. Met so many people over there, and very cheap!! only 200 bath a night!

• 16th Feb 2014

Awesome stay! Book in advance, this place gets crowded.

The best thing about this hostel is the atmosphere. They work hard to ensure that there is a community feel, and although I was only there for 2 nights this definitely stood out. They organize group activities at costs lower than tours in town, and provide ample opportunity to spend time with the other guests. It is a little bit far from the main strip, but it is easily walkable and the distance was well worth the awesome atmosphere and friendly faces.

the hotel was pretty far from the beach, which wasn't a problem for me but, eventhough this will depend on guests, the dorm was a mess and bathroom disgusting. i didn't spend enough time here to notice anything particular about the atmosphere. the staff wasn't particularly nice (when they brought me the bed linens, the girl brought a blanket instead of a sheet and said "oh well, i hope you won't be too hot"...)