Spicytao Backpackers Reviews

25 M.1 T. Koh Tao A., Koh Pra Ngan, Koh Tao, Thailand

Spicytao is a kind of out in the boonies hostel, about a 10-15 minute walk to the beach. The atmosphere was super awesome with really great people, but the accommodations were pretty basic. Metal bunk beds and there is one bathroom to about every 10 people, which can be rough sometimes. One of the thing that did bother me a bit was coming back from a long day of scuba diving and having to take a cold shower. This hostel is pretty basic and out of the way, but has awesome people!

I wouldn't recommend the hostel. I mean the staff was really nice and the atmosphere was great, but one night I woke up with a cat lying next to me and me not wanting this at all. Besides, there were an awful lot of moscuitos but no protection like nets or sth else. Bathroom was ok though, considering only paying 200 baht per night. In the end, we checked out earlier cause we couldn't stand it - sorry!

Great social vibes, great value for money and fairly close to the centre of Sairee beach

The atmosphere in spicy Tao is amazing. It's so easy to meet people there so definitely a good place to stay for sole traveller. Some rooms are quite well equipped (the rooms opposite to the reception desk), but facility in some other rooms is just not that good. Anyway, in general spicy Tao is worthy for the money paid!

Normal hostel, cheap but far away from the center and beach. Better book in person because if you book via Hostelworld they still want you to pay full price even if you pay the deposit.

Quite far away from the beach and town. Room was very disappointing, very small and not very clean. Advertised as an AC dorm but is only fans which is deceiving. Good social area for meeting people, staff good with socialising with guests. Helped organise travel which was good. You get what you pay for!!

Lo lindo es que el hostel esta en un área muy grande con mucho verde. Pero no son muy organizados. Cuando llegue s mi habitación estaban todas las camas ocupadas, tuve que yo cambiar la sabanas y limpiar el colchón. El baño estaba sucio siempre.

Spicytao was really great for meeting people. There's an awesome common area outside with hammocks and a TV and tables where everyone meets up to drink before going out. The staff are super friendly and hilarious, and were kowledgeable about the area. Maids come in to clean the rooms everyday, air con is amazing. Felt like home and really didn't want to leave, am definitely going to miss it here!

Great hostel ! Close to the beach, kitchen is very useful, The staff is amazing they helped us soooo much (especially Klyde) ! We are coming back for sure !!!

Best hostel I stayed in in Thailand! Massive outside social area so it's easy to meet people and a great atmosphere! Staff are very helpful and fun. Would definitely go back to spicy Tao!

I booked to stay here for 2 nights but left after 1. It is a 20 minute walk from the main bars and restaurants which is poorly lit and feels unsafe if you are alone at night. The dorms had no lock but they had small lockers to use if you had brought your own lock. There is no air con so my door was left open all night to get some air in which meant that I woke up covered in mozzie bites and a cat was asleep on the bunk next to me. Final straw was the half eaten rat left under my bed by the cat.

Staff was really helpful and friendly. Had a good atmosphere and threw a big party and BBQ for everyone when we were there. Only problem for me was the cleanliness of the rooms and specifically the bathrooms. Our bathroom was converted in fire ants and the shower didn't always work so we had to shower in other dorms. Would recommend if you want a good place to meet people.

This is the place to be! Very good live music and a really good vibe...way better that some of the shity bars around koh tao, moreover it is very cheap! Of course you get what you paid for (the facilities could be improved, slightly improvements would have made my stay more pleasant, for example the tap was not working well). The thai people are the best and make you feel really blessed! PS: Don t rent bikes without insurance, spent 500US to fix small scratches! Island is full of bike scams

If you want to experience every 'traveller' cliche you're likely to witness backpacking in Thailand then Spicy Tao is the place to be. Some alright facilities and a few really nice people but majorly overridden with would-be-hippies who seemed to like the place so much they stayed there ALL day (which makes you wonder why the bothered coming to Thailand!). Really mixed group of staff members - management was quite nice but the Russian woman at reception was just so negative and rude.

• 21st May 2015

best place to meet others yet its far enough away from the beach that you can simply just relax if needed. cheap food, cheap laundry, and cheap beer all nearby. the atmosphere is setup so you will enjoy yourself.. and it was the cheapest place on the island when I booked. I would recommend the hostel to post walking directions from the pier as it isn't that far (20 mins)

At spicytao we have stayed for 6 nights and we have enjoyed it! All the people have been really cool and helpful! And the evenings have been never borring! thanks to all for the great time we had!

This is very much a hostel for people who have been travelling a long time, as they all know eachother or prefer the people who have been travelling a long time. The room has no natural light, there was no mattresses just a thin mat, and the shower that you have to share with 10 people is pretty poor, we bought an air con room and I still woke up sweating in the night.

• 20th Apr 2015

Positive - incredible atmosphere, so friendly, staff helpful and always organising events, social area to watch movies and chat, free breakfast Negatives - not all air con rooms, cold showers, uncomfortable beds Best hostel on Koh Tao, 100% recommend it. Perfect for lone travellers and those on a tight budget looking for fun!

Really loved staying at Spicy Tao, great atmosphere on a lovely island!

Fun place to chill. Good people to chill with. Staff were informative and fun to hang out with :). 2 minute walk to town, 5 minute walk to beach. Definitely recommend it!