Fabulous 1,245 Total Reviews
Fabulous 1,245 Total Reviews
Spicythai Backpackers Located at 14 Hassadisewi Rd. T., Sriphum A. Muang, Chiang Mai.
Thailand
Chiang Mai 50200 14 Hassadisewi Rd. T., Sriphum A. Muang
83% 1245
18.7984339 98.9801216
    Rooms available

10th Jun 2016

Really like spicythai! It was my second hostel in Chiang mai. Really relaxed and friendly atmosphere. The bathrooms are really nice- absolutely huge! Mattress could have been a bit better but who cares really? I got a tuk tuk most places, it's way easier to do that in Chiang mai cos all the places you want to go are spread out but the transport isn't expensive. Hostel where good at booking transport and arranging group activities for anyone that wanted to join in. Would recommend this place!

14th May 2016
2.9

Stayed here for 1 night. Common room was good for meeting people. The staff were short with us and not very inviting. Facilities could have been a lot cleaner (rooms/bathroom/common area). Location was not great, but close to a 7-11. Was not given a key as there are no locks on the doors. In my entire month stay in Thailand, this hostel was the worst I stayed in.

Hey, we usually do not reply to the reviews here on Hostelworld but your review definitely caught our eye. We are very concerned about your experience here at Spicythai. We would like to apologize to you first of all. We like to make sure everyone enjoys our hostel and also the great city of Chiang Mai. We have read your review carefully and would like to let you know that the facilities have been up kept to the best of our cleaning service(s) ability. As for you know that it is hard to keep a hostel clean due to the high amount of people coming and going at times. If the cleanliness of the hostel was not up to your standards, I am sorry. Also I would like to talk to you about the location and the security of the hostel. I know this has been a problem with some travelers coming to the hostel. The location I cannot change or improve to standards that some people want. Although our Spicy Hostels are all outside of major areas because we want you to have a more local experience being immersed into a local neighbourhood/culture. But that 7-11 near us is a pretty amazing place for toasties! We have great shops, local food (some of the best in Chiang Mai, in my opinion) and local malls and Muay Thai gyms in the area. As for the security, we offer lockers for people to lock valuables in. We have never had an issue with theft and we are always on site to make sure people feel safe and that personal property is respected. Lastly I wanted to touch on your opinion about the staff. I am sorry that you did not enjoy the staff we employ here. These people are human as well and have good days and bad days, just like you and me. So if they were not inviting or rude, I apologize for that. Our staff always like to put on something every night for the people at the hostel, to enjoy the activities here in Chiang Mai. Out of everyone that has written a review (A good or bad one) you have been the first person to say these things about the staff we employ here. People who have left reviews about our hostel have had great experiences with our hostel staff. We try to employ friendly and outgoing staff to make peoples experience a good one. Most people decide to stay longer here in Chiang Mai because they're having such a great time. Unfortunately you weren't able to give us more than 14hrs to prove how amazing our city and hostel can be. Hopefully your next stay here in Chiang Mai is more of a pleasant one. Regards, Spicy Staff

• England, Male, 18-24
13th May 2016

if you are a lone traveler, spicy thai is the place to be.. you'll make new friends in no time! Huw- a member of the staff is a great craic, he bring everyone together and creates the best atmosphere, legend. Definitely recommend this hostel for a social vibe

Thank you so much for your amazing review! Spicy is probably one of the best hostels for solo backpackers. We pride ourselves on our social atmosphere. That Huw guy is a great guy for sure, we are lucky to have him here.

13th May 2016

Had a great time here - pretty small hostel and the staff get everyone involved so there is a great atmosphere. Good a/c in the rooms. Really friendly staff.

Hi! I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay here at SpicyThai. It means the world to us that people like yourself enjoy what our hostel has to offer. Thank you so much for taking time and writing us such a lovely review!

8th May 2016
8.0

The best hostel to meet people in. Something going on every night. Huw is a real gem. Every hostel needs somebody like him to set the atmosphere. Top bloke.

Another positive review about Huw! You know that its very hard to find good people like him to help run a great social atmosphere, we are very lucky to have him. Thank you for the review! I also remember who you are and it was a pleasure to have met you!

• Canada, Mixed Group, 18-24
7th May 2016
8.0

Great hostel to meet people. We had an awesome time and met a lot of great people who we will continue to meet up with during our travels. The beds are not the most comfortable and the rooms can be quite dirty. If you're looking to meet people this is a great choice. If you are looking for a few relaxing nights where you can get a good sleep another hostel might be a better choice.

Hey! Thank you so much for your review of SpicyThai. Reviews like these gives us an opportunity to visit some of the things we need to work on in order to make ourselves a better hostel. We have been making more of an effort to ensure the cleanliness of our hostel, including our rooms and bathrooms! Also we have been replacing the mattresses in the dorms to ensure a better sleep for our guests! Thank you again for your review!

• EmilyMathers
2nd May 2016

Best hostel of our stay so far!! We even ended up extending our stay by a couple of nights. The beds are clean, AC on all the time and the atmosphere is incredible. Huw (one of the guys that works here) absolutely made our stay - he sorted out group nights for the whole hostel and really bought everyone together. Without question one of the best reasons to stay here. Made some real friends here and we cannot wait to come back!!

Oh I know who you are! I remember you and that dude, you know the tall one that played football with us! Guidelines on here make sure I am not allowed to name-names lol. I just wanted to thank you for your review E... hope thats okay... haha. We have missed having you two around. You make being a host such an easy job. I am glad you enjoyed staying with us and I can't wait for you two to get back up here! Also tell your significant other that we will tear it up on the football pitch again next time you two are up here!

25th Apr 2016

Great staff and a decent location. One of the best hostels for meeting other backpackers. They do a good job at getting group activities together.

• England, Male, 31-40
19th Apr 2016

I really enjoyed my stay here and have since returned... :-)

12th Apr 2016

One of the best hostels Ive been in. The rooms were always clean and smelled fresh. The staff were always helpful and clearly there to show us a good time. The atmosphere was great. Many people from other hostels tend to hang out there for the vibe. Spicy perfectly rides the line between too social and too quiet. Closest place to feel like a home in my travels abroad.

Hey man! It was so good to have you here. We definitely had a great time hosting such an amazing person (You). Thank you for showing us that doctors can be fun too :) Also thank you for the kind review!