Split Guesthouse & Hostel Reviews

Lovretska 1, Split, Croatia

Decent breakfast for 25 kuna. Josko is very friendly and helpful with giving an intro and directions. The room was spacious but the top bunks require you to climb up there without a ladder. And there's no rail so if you're someone who rolls in your sleep you better be ok with a 5 foot fall to the ground. Only one full washroom for all men in the hostel so if someone is showering you can't brush your teeth.... pretty inconvenient when you're in a rush. Otherwise location is better than most.

Josko is legend. He fosters community among his guests like no other host. If you're traveling by yourself, or are with a small group open to making new friends, you must stay here-- if you can get a bed!

Everyone loves this place, and with good reason. The reputation is well deserved.

The best hostel I have stayed in through all my European Travels! Truly a home away from home and Josko is the most wonderful host, he truly went above and beyond to make my stay as convenient and as fun as possible!

I had an amazing time here. Josko was an incredible host that really puts an emphasis on making sure people have fun by making sure that everyone gets to know everyone. If you are looking for a quiet hostel, this may not be the place for you, but if you like a drink or two, and like to have fun and party, I cannot recommend this place highly enough. Thanks Josko, you were brilliant!

Josko, the owner, was fantastic and helped out whenever he could, thank you

• 8th Apr 2015

Perfect atmosphere, Josko was super helpful and great help for all of us. I highly recommend this Hostel for everyone visiting Split and Croatia ! Cheers, Matti

• 5th Apr 2015
  • Finland

Best hostel I've been to by far! The owner, Josko, treats all of his guests like a family. He takes his guests on an amazing trip to the Plitvice lakes, a castle where Game of Thrones was filmed, and one of the best restaurants in Croatia for a very affordable price. Not to mention he is very knowledgeable about Croatia and is always there to give suggestions for restaurants and places to go.

• 4th Apr 2015

This hostel is great! Josko is amazing and really fosters a fun place to stay. The location is great and is close to the park and city center. Josko went out with all of us to a sushi oyster restaurant that was delicious and super fresh. Also for only 3 euro or 25 kuna you can eat Grandma's breakfast, which is the best breakfast ever!! There are only 2 bathrooms, but it works out fine enough. I would definitely stay at this hostel again!!

I loved my stay. The J-Man was so hospitibal and treated his guests like part of the family. He even gave me spare keys once I checked out so I could come back if needed. Would definitely recommend this hostel to everyone! Yes his tracksuit makes Josko look like a Mafia boss. But I assure you he is so cool and kind! Till next time.

Best. Hostel. Ever. I was greeted with a shot of Rakija, coffee and a pastry upon my arrival. Josko is simply the best host one could ask for. It is so easy to meet people at this place, it feels like a big family. Grandma's breakfast is incredible, you have to do it at least once. Get the scrambled eggs and tomatoes, it has a bit of everything on the plate, or the fritters. If you're staying in Split, you must stay here. Unless you're a wet blanket and are allergic to fun.

Josko is an excellent host. Very personable, lots of energy and a great tour guide for our trip up to Plit Vice National Park. Well worth the time, money and sour legs!

• 28th Mar 2015

Easily the best small hostel I have been to. Josko went out of his way to accommodate our early morning arrival and drove us to the bus station when we left. During our stay, he provided free alcohol and donuts and personally took us for an awesome day trip to plitvice lakes-well worth the money. Grandma's breakfast are also delicious and really cheap. Otherwise, WiFi is perfect, lockers available, kitchen and bathrooms were clean, and it had a really fun atmosphere. Definitely recommend.

Loved this hostel! Joško is an amazing, laid back host with all of the answers. The beds are sooo comfortable and he has free donuts and coffee/ tea every morning, plus a welcome shot on check in. Met some amazing people. Will be going back to Split and will definitely be staying here. Actually wished I had stayed longer.

Josko for president! The best hostel I've stayed in so far on my 3 month long backpacking trip. All the amenities you would expect from a well run hostel, but what really makes this one stand out is the social atmosphere. I felt like I was hanging out with my friends from high school back home in NJ. Josko also took us on an excursion to Plitvice Lakes, a real paradise of a place to see. I feel like Josko is the type of guy that could make watching paint dry on a wall a fun experience. Thanks!

Joško is an amazing host and made my stay in his hostel really memorable. I was greeted with a great enthusiasm and a welcome drink - homemade rakija. Grandmother's breakfasts were also something to look forward to. It won't be for those who seek a bit of privacy as the hostel is small and there's not much space. So if you seek some solitary, go somewhere else, however, if you love to meet new people, this is a perfect place to be.

Nothing bad to say but if i listed all the good things I would run out of space! So nice and simply this set the standard for hostels and it is the highest and best I've been to! Atmosphere was unbelievably amazing and welcoming! Could not ask for anything more! Josko is amazing!

Loved our stay at this hostel! Josko was so welcoming - instant family. Great atmosphere for any traveller. Shout out to Susie at Backpacksack as well who was extremely lovely! Would go back.

Josko creates a warm and wonderful environment for all of the people who stay at Split Guesthouse and Hostel. He does a great job of familiarizing you with Split upon arrival and the welcome rakija shot is awesome! It truly does feel like a friend´s place when you stay here! The small size is great for encouraging good atmosphere and the facilities are well equipped.

• 22nd Oct 2014

JOSKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This place is awesome. Josko (the owner) is amazing. I haven't come across a more welcoming atmosphere than this place. Being a small hostel, there are 3 dorm rooms, and everyone just hangs out in the common room. I came in and there were 10ish people all sitting talking and they along with Josko immediately let me feel like one of the 'family'. Being shy, this was the easiest place to feel apart of a group. I highly recommend. 1-2-3 JOSKO!!!!!!!