St Andrews Tourist Hostel Reviews

Inchape House, St Marys Place, St Andrews, Scotland

Very nice stay. Staff was welcoming and helpful. Pretty much in the center of St Andrews, minutes away from everything. HOWEVER I was there in January and it was freezing cold in the room, barely warmer in the common room, and worse at night. Apart from this point, good value for money.

• 19th Jan 2015

Thanks for reviewing our hostel. During the winter it does get cold in this old building but extra duvets can be provided if they are requested. We want our guests to have a warm night sleep. Hope to see you here again but come back at a warmer time of year.

Really nice staff, decent wifi, rooms are a bit cold though (we were there in winter). beds are good, hostel is a bit rundown with tattered carpet, but the kitchen is very clean. The locks on the bedroom doors are annoying as you need two hands to open it, so you couldn't be holding anything in your hands. Bathrooms are probably the weakest point, just because they're a little bit dated and shabby. Shower drain was slightly clogged.

• 15th Jan 2015

Thanks for your review. We do you best to keep the kitchen and the rest of the hostel clean and tidy. Extra duvets can be provided for guests if they are feeling cold during the night.

Good atmosphere and clean dorms! friendly and flexible staff who allowed us to check-in early and pick the room. overall, the hostel itself and its staff were bright and extremely welcoming on a rainy and windy day in St Andrews!

• 15th Jan 2015
  • Lithuania

Thanks for the great review. We do what we can to make your stay a good one. We hope that you will come back and stay with us again in the future.

Excellent location, but poor Wifi in the rooms, and sometimes no hot water for showering. Great lounge and kitchen, everything else was good!

• 5th Jan 2015
  • New Zealand

The Wifi signal should work everywhere in the hostel but some places the signal is a bit weaker. The lounge area is a cool place to hang out, chat with other guests and connect to the internet. The hot water runs on a timer. If a guest requests a hot shower then it can be arranged.

There was plenty of mould in our room. Also the floor was a bit wet, which is probably the cause for the mould. The room needs urgently to be fixed because we couldn't stand the smell caused by fungus. We would like to ask the owner to place another bin for recyclables and for general waste. There was one bin for glass and another for everything else! Besides that, staff were really friendly and the environment in general was good.

I'm glad you found the staff friendly and in general you enjoyed your stay with us. The recycling center by the hostel has been removed and we are looking into alternatives because we also would like to save the environment. Regarding the mould, this has now been solved and i think you would find this room a lot nicer and warmer now :)

Wow, I go for being super honest, and I was surprised I gave a 100%...not because it doesn't deserve it, but I never gave that before. Lol. I enjoyed my stay so much and would come back in a minute! Ok, honest..I don't want to down-credit my rating, just want to add, it could have been warmer on occasion. That was my only uncomfortability... I would have perfered it warmer, but I'm finding most all hostels not agreeing to my warmth level. :) more wool in winter!!!

Thanks for your review. We really appreciate it. If necessary we can provide guests with extra duvets if they are feeling cold during the night. We will do what we can to make everyone's stay a comfortable one. We hope to see you back here again.

Very good value for money, can't complain about anything.

The hostel was an excellent place to stay. The location is second to none, the staff are friendly and accommodating and the rooms were kept clean and tidy. I will certainly be coming back to stay should I be brought back to St Andrews in the near future.

• 3rd Dec 2014
  • Scotland

Our hostel is cleaned thoroughly everyday and a standard of tidiness is kept at all times. We hope to see you back again at our hostel someday.

For me it was in a prime location. Two minute walk from the bus station. With plenty to see and do all walking distance. The hostel is a bargin. And perfect for all a backpackers needs. The only one thing if i had to criticize was no lockers To store ur valuables when out adventuring. So u have to trust the guys you share a dorm with.as the dorm room is only accessible by key... Didnt faze me tho. Will be going back to the hostel again and again. Highly recomend.

• 28th Nov 2014

Thank you for your review. We do not provide lockers but if needed we can store any valuables that you may have at reception.

I had a good time at the St Andrews Hostel. The best feature of the hostel was definitely the large living room / common area with the sofas, large table and tv. The staff was very friendly and we laughed a lot. I didn't used the kitchen a lot, but it seemed very well supplied. The bed was comfortable, but the upstairs dorm was a bit cramped. The bathroom and showers could use a make over and more space for clothes to dry or a dryer is needed. Overall, it was a good value for my money.

Decent enough hostel, but the people staying there at the time seemed dis-interested in meeting new people, they just had their heads in their laptops/iphones, but i guess this could be the norm for backpackers these days!

Great location. It has kitchen facilities and adequate showers and toilets. Very dilapidated décor - peeling paint and mould in showers and toilet. Faded bobbly sheets and pillowcases. My hostel room smelled strongly of dampness. Not many plug sockets in the room for the five occupants. Dorms all mixed - I shared with three men, would've preferred if there had been a female only dorm option.

Very good location near shops and bus station, kitchen and bathroom very clean. Room smelled a bit musty and could do with lockers or a storage room for luggage somwhere in the hostel.

Unfortunately we do not provide lockers. It is best to keep your valuables with you or we can keep them the at reception. The hostel is cleaned thoroughly everyday and is checked by management.

The staff is really helpful. On my first night even though I arrived quite late the guy at the reception agreed to put me in a different room because I did not like my roommate, even if this was a bit of a bother for him. He was also very nice and friendly. One morning there was no hot water in the shower but only in the bathroom upstairs, I went in the shower downstairs and it was fine.

Pretty awesome hostel for the price. The staff is awesome and it's very clean! I've made a lot of friends there and I recommend this hostel for either long stay or short stay! :)

• 26th Oct 2014

Thanks for your review. We do our best to keep the hostel clean and tidy for everyone. Hope to see you back again someday.

Over all, a bit rundown and not always as clean as I'd like, but the options in St Andrews are few, and as they say on their sign it is the cheapest accommodation in town, and that is everything you should expect. The wifi was good at least.

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you did not find the cleaning to your standards but I can assure you the hostel is cleaned thoroughly everyday and checked by management. As you've mentioned we are by far the cheapest and coolest hostel in town. Hope to see you again one day.

We had a fantastic stay in St Andrews. Yvo was very helpful and approachable. The atmosphere in the hostel was great so we ended up staying in instead of going out. Would definitely return.

That's great to hear that you enjoyed St Andrews and ofcourse the hostel. We hope to see you stay with us again someday.

1 2 Next » last »