St Andrews Tourist Hostel Reviews

Inchape House, St Marys Place, St Andrews, Scotland

The shower on my floor was broken, with that many people in one location that is very inconvenient. Also, I just didn't feel safe at this particular hostel.

Sorry for any inconvenience that the broken shower caused. We know it is not ideal but I am happy to say that now the shower is fully functional again. I'm sorry to hear that you felt unsafe in our hostel. What is the reason? If perhaps a reason for that feeling is because of leaving valuables in the room and not being able to lock them up somewhere then we would have gladly stored your belongings at reception.

This hostel would benefit from the addition of lockers and some guidelines about quiet hours. We originally booked for two nights but left after one following a night of incredibly drunk people screaming and crying outside our room in the common area. Two people got up to ask the group to quiet down and notify staff who were completely unreceptive.

• 28th May 2015

We are sorry to hear that your stay with us wasn't a very pleasant one. The night that you were here was busy. We are a hostel and yes it can get noisy sometimes with lots of people around. It depends on who is staying here and what is happening on a particular night. We do occasionally get drunk people. I can assure you that this does not happen every night. We do have plenty of quiet nights in the hostel. Lockers would be a good addition but for now any valuables can be kept at reception.

Excellent hostel.enjoyable stay.

• 28th May 2015

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you back here again in the future.

Nice hostel.

St. Andrews is lovely and this hostel is very well located. It's just a short walk to the university, beach, castle and cathedral. It's also just a few doors down from Starbucks and Tesco. Same with Frogans- a great pub/restaurant and delicious chips from Dervish. This hostel has a really pretty common room with lots of places to charge phones and hang out. The kitchen is small and out of the way. Bathrooms are big, clean and easily accessible. There's not a ton of them. Had poor wifi upstairs.

Thank you for your nice review of our hostel. We are centrally located in St Andrews within walking distance of many of the local sites, shops and restaurants. Our spacious common room is a great place to socialize and hangout with other guests. We do our best to keep the kitchen, the bathrooms and communal areas clean and tidy. Our hostel does have wifi all around but the signal strength is lower in some of our rooms.

Great location, shower room ceiling could do with a lick of paint, bedroom 5, was a bit warm in the night, not sure if any heating was on.

• 17th May 2015

Our hostel is centrally located making it an ideal place to stay and explore the town from. There is an electric heater in room 5. It's best to turn it off during the night because it can get quite warm if it's kept on too long.

The hostel was very clean, although some decor in room 1 could have been better ( looked liked damp in the corner) Myself and my partner ended up sharing a top bunk as we came back quite late and some other traveller had moved my partners bag from the bed she had chosen, and the person was sound asleep when we came in, we ended up sharing a top bunk as the spare duvet had also been claimed by someone who was obv a bit cold.The receptionist was kinda busy in the morning so we never mentioned it.

• 16th May 2015
  • Scotland

Thank you for your feedback. We do our best to keep the place clean and tidy. Unfortunately we do have problems with dampness in the hostel. I'm sorry to hear about someone moving your stuff from your bed. You should have mentioned it to us in the morning.

Staff were wonderful, friendly and very helpful

• 1st May 2015
  • Scotland

Thank you for the great review. We do our best to help in any way we can. It was nice having you stay with us and we hope to see you back here again in future.

Disappointingly shabby with mouldy showers and very tired decor in the dormitory. I also found it incredibly frustrating that Hostelworld offered me the choice of check in time only to arrive at the appointed time and discover a sign on the locked door stating "STRICTLY no check ins between 2 & 5".

• 30th Apr 2015

I'm sorry you had unpleasant experience with us. It does state on Hostelworld that our reception is closed between 2 and 5PM. We do understand that it is frustrating that Hostelworld has given you the option to choose those hours. Unfortunately due to dampness in the building we do get problems with mould. However we do our best to keep our hostel clean and tidy.

The staff and long-term residents are lovely, and it's got a really nice community feel. Pretty annoying that you need to wait until 5 to check in, (you can't get in between 2 and 5)- so that's a nuisance if you've had a long day travelling or have heavy bags to lug around like I did. The shower next to my room (upstairs in the big bathroom) was either dripping and warm or ice-cold and very fierce (but cold water is supposed to make your hair shinier, so that idea got me through it!).

A good place to stay and I enjoyed my time there. It gave me a bit more time in St Andrews than if I had just gone through for the day. Staff and other residents friendly.

• 30th Apr 2015
  • Scotland

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our hostel is centrally located making it a good place to stay at. We are near many shops, restaurants and historic sites. Our friendly staff do what they can to be as accommodating as possible.

I really enjoyed my time in St. Andrews and the hostel was a part of it! Although I stayed in a mixed shared room I felt very comfortable. The ambient was calm and all of the staff was very friendly and helpful! The hostel was very crowded at the time I was staying but I never felt overcrowded, I felt like it was a really big family! The other guests were very respectful. I will definitely consider the St Andrews Tourist Hostel for future staying in St. Andrews!

• 26th Apr 2015
  • Portugal

Could do with a secure place to put bikes

• 21st Apr 2015

There was a lot of noise, shouting and swearing at guests who brought people back to the hostel. This went on for about 15minutes at 3am. It was pretty intimidating. I thought that staff should have called the police as they were not able to make people leave by themselves.

• 18th Apr 2015
  • Scotland

Apologies for the weekend that you were here. I'm sorry that you had to hear all that noise and shouting. It was a busy weekend for us and we were dealing with some guests that were a bit out of line. Unfortunately we sometimes do have to deal with guests like that. Things were sorted in the end.

Enjoyed our stay and found staff very helpful and friendly. Other users also friendly and considerate.

• 17th Apr 2015
  • Scotland

Thanks for leaving us a nice review. We do our best to be as accommodating and helpful as possible. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you back again at our hostel.

include breakfast into price

• 17th Apr 2015
  • Bulgaria

Hot showers, helpful staff, decent towels ;), spacious room, free wifi.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do our best to be helpful and as accommodating as possible. Some of our dorms are quite spacious with high ceilings and big windows. Our free wifi is accessible throughout the hostel making it convenient to connect to the web wherever you may be in the building.

Cracking hostel, right in the middle of St Andrews. Welcoming staff, great facilities, good atmosphere - would highly recommend!

Thanks for the great review. We are glad that you had a pleasant stay with us. Hope to see you back here again. Our central location makes it very ideal to explore all the sites of St. Andrews. There are many shops, bars and restaurants within walking distance from the hostel.

It was mid-week so very quiet atmosphere. Excellent location right in the heart of St Andrews.

We are located in the centre of St Andrews close to many shops and restaurants. An ideal location to explore the town and the sites. Weekdays are usually more quiet here whereas weekends can get busier and more lively.

Great hostel! It was easy to check in, and I felt comfortable leaving valuables there while I toured the town. Great staff too.

• 3rd Apr 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Thanks. That's great to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. We do what we can to make everyone's stay a good one. Any valuables can just be left in the room without a problem or on request we will keep them at reception. We hope to see you back here again.