St Andrews Tourist Hostel Reviews

Inchape House, St Marys Place, St Andrews, Scotland

It's the only hostel in St andrews but it's a good one and its not expensive. I'd definitely stay there again.

We are the only hostel around here and as our sign stays the cheapest accommodation in town. We are also very centrally located. Come stay with us again.

Great place!!! Mainly the staff! I had some travel problems to get from my home country to Scotland and I had to arrive late at the hostel, but the guys made everything to help me! Definitely I'll recommend.

For one night I could deal with it. Knowing now what the it is like, I would probably splurge on a hotel next time.

Great that you gave it a try to stay in a hostel. It's not for everyone. I hope that you will give it another go. Hostels are not all the same. They are great places to meet and chat with people from all over the world.

Cosy hostel with a character

Thank you for your review. Our hostel is inside an old building with high ceilings and big windows located ideally in centre of town. It does have character.

Everything was great! Perfect Value for Money!

• 14th Feb 2015

Thanks for the review. We appreciate it. If you are on budget then we have all you need at a very fair price in the centre of town. Please come visit us again someday.

The staff was not very accommodating. The manager would not leave us alone. He was almost watching over us while we were cooking our meal. It made me like we were not wanted at the hostel.

• 13th Feb 2015

All our staff are very accommodating. We like to socialize with our guests and we are sorry that you felt that this was watching over you and your friends when really this was just us being friendly.

Was quite cold in room 1, I don't think the windows fit properly!

• 31st Jan 2015

The hostel can be a little cold in the winter and we do what we can, however the buildings are old and historical. We always try and offer extra heating and duvets when needed. Thank you for leaving such a great score of 97%!!

no hot shower at night

The hot water in the hostel runs on a timer. If a guest needs a hot shower they can come by reception and ask us to get the water heated up again.

Great hostel! Staff are friendly, very clean and fantastic wifi. Will stay again!

• 23rd Jan 2015
  • Scotland

Thanks we appreciate your review and hope to see you back here again.

Very nice stay. Staff was welcoming and helpful. Pretty much in the center of St Andrews, minutes away from everything. HOWEVER I was there in January and it was freezing cold in the room, barely warmer in the common room, and worse at night. Apart from this point, good value for money.

• 19th Jan 2015

Thanks for reviewing our hostel. During the winter it does get cold in this old building but extra duvets can be provided if they are requested. We want our guests to have a warm night sleep. Hope to see you here again but come back at a warmer time of year.

Really nice staff, decent wifi, rooms are a bit cold though (we were there in winter). beds are good, hostel is a bit rundown with tattered carpet, but the kitchen is very clean. The locks on the bedroom doors are annoying as you need two hands to open it, so you couldn't be holding anything in your hands. Bathrooms are probably the weakest point, just because they're a little bit dated and shabby. Shower drain was slightly clogged.

• 15th Jan 2015

Thanks for your review. We do you best to keep the kitchen and the rest of the hostel clean and tidy. Extra duvets can be provided for guests if they are feeling cold during the night.

Good atmosphere and clean dorms! friendly and flexible staff who allowed us to check-in early and pick the room. overall, the hostel itself and its staff were bright and extremely welcoming on a rainy and windy day in St Andrews!

• 15th Jan 2015
  • Lithuania

Thanks for the great review. We do what we can to make your stay a good one. We hope that you will come back and stay with us again in the future.

Excellent location, but poor Wifi in the rooms, and sometimes no hot water for showering. Great lounge and kitchen, everything else was good!

• 5th Jan 2015
  • New Zealand

The Wifi signal should work everywhere in the hostel but some places the signal is a bit weaker. The lounge area is a cool place to hang out, chat with other guests and connect to the internet. The hot water runs on a timer. If a guest requests a hot shower then it can be arranged.

There was plenty of mould in our room. Also the floor was a bit wet, which is probably the cause for the mould. The room needs urgently to be fixed because we couldn't stand the smell caused by fungus. We would like to ask the owner to place another bin for recyclables and for general waste. There was one bin for glass and another for everything else! Besides that, staff were really friendly and the environment in general was good.

I'm glad you found the staff friendly and in general you enjoyed your stay with us. The recycling center by the hostel has been removed and we are looking into alternatives because we also would like to save the environment. Regarding the mould, this has now been solved and i think you would find this room a lot nicer and warmer now :)

Wow, I go for being super honest, and I was surprised I gave a 100%...not because it doesn't deserve it, but I never gave that before. Lol. I enjoyed my stay so much and would come back in a minute! Ok, honest..I don't want to down-credit my rating, just want to add, it could have been warmer on occasion. That was my only uncomfortability... I would have perfered it warmer, but I'm finding most all hostels not agreeing to my warmth level. :) more wool in winter!!!

Thanks for your review. We really appreciate it. If necessary we can provide guests with extra duvets if they are feeling cold during the night. We will do what we can to make everyone's stay a comfortable one. We hope to see you back here again.

Very good value for money, can't complain about anything.

The hostel was an excellent place to stay. The location is second to none, the staff are friendly and accommodating and the rooms were kept clean and tidy. I will certainly be coming back to stay should I be brought back to St Andrews in the near future.

• 3rd Dec 2014
  • Scotland

Our hostel is cleaned thoroughly everyday and a standard of tidiness is kept at all times. We hope to see you back again at our hostel someday.

For me it was in a prime location. Two minute walk from the bus station. With plenty to see and do all walking distance. The hostel is a bargin. And perfect for all a backpackers needs. The only one thing if i had to criticize was no lockers To store ur valuables when out adventuring. So u have to trust the guys you share a dorm with.as the dorm room is only accessible by key... Didnt faze me tho. Will be going back to the hostel again and again. Highly recomend.

• 28th Nov 2014

Thank you for your review. We do not provide lockers but if needed we can store any valuables that you may have at reception.

I had a good time at the St Andrews Hostel. The best feature of the hostel was definitely the large living room / common area with the sofas, large table and tv. The staff was very friendly and we laughed a lot. I didn't used the kitchen a lot, but it seemed very well supplied. The bed was comfortable, but the upstairs dorm was a bit cramped. The bathroom and showers could use a make over and more space for clothes to dry or a dryer is needed. Overall, it was a good value for my money.

Decent enough hostel, but the people staying there at the time seemed dis-interested in meeting new people, they just had their heads in their laptops/iphones, but i guess this could be the norm for backpackers these days!

1 2 Next » last »