St. Athans Reviews

20 Tavistock Place, Russell Square, London, England

For a short stay where I just needed a place to sleep, it was fine and good value considering the location. Staff was friendly enough, but rather businesslike. Cleanliness was ok, room was small but functional, and I actually like the somewhat old-fashioned feel of the house. Biggest problem for me was having to ring and wait for someone to personally open the door any time you wanted to get in, made me feel awkward and unwelcome. Would consider returning if not for that.

The best Hostel in Town for me and my friend. We will check in again.

• 14th Mar 2014

Excellent location, friendly staff, clean rooms and bathrooms. The bathrooms are on corridors separated from the rooms, but there are many of them, and they're very clean. The only negative point I could mention: the walls between rooms seem to be thin, and one can hear noise from the neighbouring rooms or the corridor. Overall, good value for money.

A thoroughly enjoyable stay, very nice staff and decent shared shower rooms. The location is very central and benefits from a lively street with plenty of eateries and pubs just around the corner.

• 20th Feb 2014
  • Switzerland

The hostel is located very close to the center of London, only a 30 min walk - the Russel Square uderground station is 3mins walk (two blocks away). The hostel staff is very friendly and the buildings are great. Our room was tiny but cozy, it was just what we were looking for. It was in the front view but the road is quiet and there wasn't a problem. The shared bathroom was always clean and we didn't have to wait. There was always hot water and heat. We are definitely going there again!

Chris the 'receptionist' on Weds night was good company. Thanks for our interesting chat about football! Bit of a squeeze in the shared toilets, not much room. Shower was also a bit of a squeeze but I appreciate that space is in short supply. Room was fine, clean and tidy. £48 per night is cheap and useful for those who cannot afford the £100+ prices 200 yds away. Thanks.

• 11th Feb 2014

Great location, 3 minutes walk from Russel Square tubestation. Lovely and cozy cafe in the basement, with delicious bio food. Value for money!

• 17th Jan 2014
  • Denmark

The best thing is value for money. If I'm on a private trip and do not stay in a hostel dorm then I highly recommend this property.

The location is great, 10 minutes walk from saint Pancras, 10 minutes walk to Oxford Street. The bed was confortable and the room very clean. The only bad points are the shared bathroom with no separate toilet, and the thin walls, but we can't have everything!

• 5th Dec 2013

Very friendly and accommodating staff. Was cozy and quiet. Some street noise at night

• 28th Nov 2013

Very good value for money and very good Location. If I return to London that's the place where I'll stay.

We were surprised because we could go sightseeing by foot without needing to take a bus or the tube. The best point I'd admit that is its rate location/price. There is a coffee house pretty good and the staff was gentle and willing to help at any time. The less good points are the small rooms, but compared to the price of a hotel in the very centre of London, we could happily go through it. Nevertheless everything was clean and the offer you clean towel everyday. Thanks St. Athans team!

• 15th Nov 2013
  • Spain

Good hostel, and reasonably priced for its location.

Ideally located

• 22nd Oct 2013

There is nothing wrong with this budget hotel. It's not a hostel so the common area is not great. But if you want cheap, clean and quiet accomodation that's what you get. The downstairs cafe with discount is also great.

View all London Bed and Breakfasts