St Christopher's at The Palace Hotel Reviews

10/12 Grand Junction Road, BN1 1PN, Brighton, England

Wi-Fi was not working most of the time and very slow when it was working, even in the common area. This is a big deal to travelers, who need to use internet for travel planning. This hostel is a fine place in all other ways, but they need to put the effort in to provide Wi-Fi, as they have been stating they would or have done for weeks/months. This shows a real lack of concern for customers by the management. Importantly, this put strain on the staff, who had deal with unhappy guests.

Although the staff were great and we felt very welcome, the security locks didnt work and the dorm toilet ran out of toilet paper. We had to ask the staff a number of times to let us in, even past the curfew and the keys just didnt work.

Great staff,Plenty of discounts at the bar,welcome groups of lads.This is genuinly one of the best places i have stayed.x

• 21st Jun 2013

Website shows nice private rooms, we got a dingy room right at the back with bunk beds and it was very dirty. There was a kettle but no cups or anything. I made the mistake of opening the top drawer on the chest of drawers and it was full of creatures. With noise from club, air conditioning units, pigeons and gulls, creaky beds and thin walls, it did not make for a very good night's sleep. To top it all the shower was a mere trickle and the toilet leaked! Opposite pier so ideal location.

WiFi never works. If it works it is very very slow Room Keys do not operate all the time. The boiler broke and no hot water. They should have had a backup boiler system in place.

Hygiene rate is : 1, SORRY TO SAY IT BUT YOU HAVE A SERIOUS ISSUE OF KEEPING PLACE CLEAN. Your staff is excellent and helpful, you should contracted out to clean the hotel or inspections should be at the highest by the managers and above, Thank You

• 27th May 2013
  • New Zealand

The wifi was broken the night I arrived, the staff said there was nothing they could do until the morning, by which point it was useless. The door of our room did not shut properly, let alone lock. There was a huge group of young children (about 14 years old) who were tearing through the corridors at 10pm having pillow fights and screaming; I was going out but I really felt for the young mother and her daughter sharing the room (the staff did nothing to shut them up even after we asked).

• 23rd May 2013

We recognise we have had problems with the wifi over the past few days and are in the process of getting it replaced. As far as i am aware we have not been informed of any broken doors but will be checking up on that and will be getting it fixed if we do find a problem. We realise that the children thta were staying here did cause a disturbance and the teachers were informed aswell as the staff going up numerous times to ask them to be quiet. We hope everything else with your stay was great.

NO KITCHEN or even a microwave or fridge. Breakfast is poor: only toasts with tea/coffee. Cards that are used as a key worked only after the 10th desperate attempt. It was very noisy in the room at night because some kind of boiler or heater was working behind the wall.

Wifi did not work for my stay, other than that it was ok. More power point in rooms would help too.

Perfect location, right by the beach and the pier and 30 meters from the national express station (busses from London and the airports). Had troubles with the keycard to room 13, but at the second stay we got room 25 and had a perfect working card and a great view over the beach.

The swipe card to the door would not work so we had to go down to the reception and ask for a key to let us in. The staff knew about this door and said it had been playing up for ages, but it wasnt fixed?? Also, I asked the staff questions and they didn't seem to know/want to know what I was talking about.

• 15th May 2013
  • New Zealand

We apologise for the inconvinience of the swipe card not working and have notified the maintanence staff who are in the process of getting this fixed. Also the staff will always try their best to help the guests so i apologise that you felt that they wernt helpful. Im glad there were no other issues and we hope to see you again soon.

The location is good, the staff is alright, and the rooms are clean and nice. However, the bar downstairs is really loud and the music stops quite late at night, so when you sleep on the first floor you can physically feel the bass in your bed. I like to party myself but the music was terrible so this was pretty annoying^^ Also, there is no kitchen and the food at the pub is terrible, not to mention expensive..! But it was quite a good value for money.

My problem wasn't the hostel, but some of my roommates, half were normal people staying on a weeknight, three were there to party hardcore, which I would expect on a Friday/Saturday but it was Monday/Tuesday and they were coming in at 4am, one night bringing back a guy and fooling around in the bed next to me. Security didn't really help at all when I told them (It's a one person per bed, don't bring back people policy). I advice coming with a bigger group and getting a private room here!

We apologise for the guests who disrespected the rules of the room. Also apologise as the staff on should have done something about it, i can assure you this does not happen often. We are happy you had no other issues and hope to see you again.

The hostel rooms aren't the cleanest or the nicest, but they are acceptable and good value for money. The bar has great atmosphere like all Belushi's, and it was easy to meet people and make friends. The perfect location completely outweighs the downfalls; the beach is directly across the street and the pier is a block away. I definitely recommend staying here!

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you back here again soon.

The hotel is located just opposite the Brighton Pier and close to the city centre with railway station 15-20 mins walk away. The staff are very friendly and the rooms are really clean. Don't be disappointed when you go through the stairs first time.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon :)

Very good place to stay, close to the pier and all the principal points of the city. Great staff, very nice and gentle. Looking forward to come back.

• 2nd May 2013

Apart from the room being very hot and not being able to turn the heating down, the beds were comfortable and clean and the showers were excellent.

• 28th Apr 2013

We apologise for the heating problems and the problem has been passed on to our maintanence staff.We are happy you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.

The volume of the music in the bar downstairs was a bit excessive. It made it impossible to sleep before 3a.m.!

We apologise about the noise levels but as the hostel is above our bar there is very little we can do about the noise. Next time please let us know in advance and we can arrange for you to be moved to a higher floor, Thank you from the St Christopher's team.

Located practically near the pier. Great food from the restaurant. Could use better WiFi. Has elevator for baggage. Staff were friendly. Had a great time!

Great location and helpful staff. Was disappointed there was kitchen or even facilities to make myself a cup of tea. I understand this is because there is a bar & restaurant on the ground floor, but it would be nice to be able to use a kettle & small fridge. The dorm room I stayed in on 2nd floor was spacious & comfortable with great views. Shower was nice and strong. Not a great place if you are a light sleeper & go to be early given the dance music on the ground floor.

Hi we are glad that you enjoyed your stay here at st christophers in brighton. We hope to see you again soon.