St. Vincent's Guesthouse Reviews

1507 Magazine St, New Orleans, USA

Generally I know what I'm getting into by staying in hostels instead of hotels, but bed bugs are not a part of that equation. I brought it to their attention without making a scene and chose to just share a bed with a friend in another room we'd booked. Later when we decided to ask if we could be refunded for the bed bug infested room we didn't use, they tried to convince me that New Orleans was full of them and that I hadn't overreacted enough for them to fix it. In all I am highly disappointed

• 31st Oct 2014

very bohemian atmosphere......safe neighborhood......good place to stay for price....don't expect more....and it is clean.

• 30th Oct 2014
  • Puerto Rico
  • Couple, 41+

Terrific value. Historic mansion. Perfect location.

This is a nice quiet place to stay. Not really a place if you're looking for a backpacker party hostel. The staff were really helpful and friendly. The other guests I met were living there more so than travellers. The building is gorgeous. Really nice room to watch TV in if you feel like taking it easy after a long day sightseeing. The pool wasn't open. There's a nice courtyard to read in and squirrels to watch running around. I enjoyed my stay!

Great value, neat old mansion, nice staff

I think St-Vincent's is a good place for budget traveller and backpackers. I did extensive research and I think it is, location-wise and money-wise, the best deal in town, right between the partying downtown and the hip garden district, 1 min from bike rental. As long as you are not looking for a 5 stars hotel of course and are confortable with very basic (but decent) rooms.

• 17th Oct 2014

It was nice hostel. I wasn't expecting too much considering it was my first experience it a hostel. The staff had a hard time explaining some of their terms to me but hey S*** happens. The Magazine Street location is great for the price, especially since its a five minute drive to Canal Street and the French Quarter.

• 17th Oct 2014

Definitely had some run ins with sketchy people but that's okay. Ghosts were very present too, which intrigues me.

• 17th Oct 2014

This place is the bomb. Love it and would gladly stay here again.

• 16th Oct 2014

WARNING: This is not a hostel. This place MUST be removed from Hostelworld!! I implore everyone reading this to please, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE, anywhere else. This is a Halfway House for recovering drug addicts and other scourge of society. We were met with DISGUST. The entire place is covered in filth and grime, the bathrooms are more like outhouses and windows only serve Peeping Toms. It took about three minutes to realise we had made a DIRE mistake. We ESCAPED, DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

For the very low price, it's decent. Still, we found cockroaches in our room during our stay, and the person who booked our room booked it wrong so instead of getting 2 beds per room we only got 1 bed per room. If you're looking for a cheap place to stay in New Orleans, though, it's a good deal.

• 10th Oct 2014

I was only there for 1 night. The staff was very friendly and helped me with getting to the French Quarter The room was nothing fancy, but clean. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel, go elsewhere and spend $250.00 a night. I enjoyed my stay and liked all of the history that went with St. Vincent guesthouse.

• 4th Oct 2014

I am usually a generous reviewer, but this place was ridiculous. i have never picked up my stuff in the middle of the night and taken off. Full of shady characters reside here. As soon as i check in i notice how dark and dingy the place is. I take the stair case up to my room and a stench just punches me in the nose as i walk in. i was woken by a cockroach crawling on my chest. i start to look around and the floor was covered by small little roaches. This place is awful. don't stay here!!

I have mixed feelings about our stay - the staff were great to us, very helpful and very friendly. It's really good value for money and is nothing fancy, but we didn't need that. We did have problems with bugs in our bathrooms, but when raised with the staff it was dealt with promptly and was no longer an issue over the coming days. Our door handle was quite loose and i did worry about the security, but it turned out not to be a problem. If you're ok with nothing fancy, it is pretty good value.

Maybe the shared areas are as bad as some reviews suggest, but the private room I had on the second floor was perfect for me. The linens were clean and serviceable. While the bathroom tiles were spotless, the walls in it and the bedroom area had the same mini-spots that exist in my own home until spring cleaning occurs. Since I didn't plan on licking the walls, it didn't bother me. The air conditioner, TV, and refrigerator all worked perfectly. It's a neat, old building. Go check it out.

• 20th Sep 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will be staying there again soon. I am in town often on business and plan to make this my first choice for lodging in the future. The staff were very helpful and friendly. There is such character in the building as well as the staff and the guests. It isn't the Doubletree or Hilton; but it embodies the spirit of New Orleans like no other place I've stayed. If you are looking for the real heart of New Orleans and you are looking for a value, this is it.

• 8th Sep 2014

was a short but pleasant stay. the staff was flexible about my personal wishes. I really appreciated that.

I booked using hostel world app. I used a credit card with very little money in case of fraud. My confirmed reservation was paid, it said I could pay balance on arrival. When I arrive they refuse me. The lady said that they had run my card 2 days before for full amount and it was declined so they had canceled my reservation. I protested, I said no one emailed or called me. I showed her my payed conformation. It says on the bottom, PAYMENT DUE ON ARRIVAL. I stayed another place.

• 30th Aug 2014

My friend and I had the best time in New Orleans, and St Vincent's was the best place we could have stayed. About a 20 minute walk from the French Quarter, we could do the tourist thing but then explore the much more vibrant and exciting magazine street and Garden District. We felt very safe, we had a huge bed each as well as air con, TV and free wifi that worked most of the time. We loved our stay!

• 29th Aug 2014

Beautiful building, great location, and generally helpful and courteous staff. Some of the extended-stay residents are a little rude or off-putting to hostel/hotel guests, and we also saw a huge cockroach in our room one night and had to kill it ourselves, but otherwise it was a great stay!

• 28th Aug 2014