St. Vincent's Guesthouse Reviews

1507 Magazine St, New Orleans, USA

A great stay in a brilliant location!

We stayed in private bedroom with AC, bathroom & tv for 5 nights for $50/n. This is such an amazing place with such great history, beautifully laid out with a great haunted feel to it. Only issue was lack of room service for clean linens. Staying in a single bed room is the way to go. I would recommend it to anybody on a budget or even if not on a budget but wants to stay in a bit of New Orleans History. The neighborhood is beautiful and should not be missed. Just don't expect anything fancy.

• 3rd Jun 2015

Minor maintenance seems to be tardily attended to.

Building is extremely old and has not been maintained. There were HOLES in the floors, and more in the walls; crawlspaces and ground and wiring areas were exposed. Dorms do not lock unless guests remember to lock them each time; anyone can walk onto the property and into rooms.

Charming older property. Courtyard fountain, elegant parlor, sweeping entry stiarcase, wrought iron railings - would have been a sight to behold 100 years ago! Unfortunately, some hasty remodeling (maybe after Katrina) did not do the property justice. If torn carpet and dirty blinds put you off, this isn't for you. But if you feel that the charm of New Orleans is the way it embraces the faded glory of years long past, then this is the perfect place to stay in the Garden District!

Excellent value and very friendly staff. I don't feel I would be justified in complaining about any aspect of St. Vincent's

Previous reviews we had read were inconsistent. After spending 6 nights here we could see why they were that way. Our room was clean,spacious and comfortable. The building itself was passed its best and in need of some care but had lots of character and charm The residents were very friendly and welcoming, a number of them did have issues that at first appearances could be a little off putting for those less travelled than ourselves. We enjoy meeting odd characters, not everyone's cup of tea.

No towel available...was given a bath mat to dry meself No knives plates spoons,,Had to heat hot water in old glass jar in microwave,,not even a kettle or jug. This place is really sad and filthy.... full of long term homeless people

An incredible building on the wonderful magazine street. Great price for what you get. If we return to New Orleans then I'll be booking again. Thanks

The hostel seemed like not much care was put into it. Some little noticeable things were uncared for. Like each room had a wrinkled piece of paper taped to the door in sharpie writing which room it was. A typed piece of paper would help the decor a little better. Also in private rooms the tvs were stationed on the floor. In my private room there was 1 towel to split between two males. The AC unit in the large dorms was highly ineffective. The staff was cool but some seemed not to care for hoste

• 10th May 2015

Beautiful yet poorly maintained building. No individual locker in dorm room. Good location - between Warehouse District and Garden District, closer to the latter. Slow wifi. No kitchen. Could be better, but no complaint for the money I paid.

Great showers, hot water(hard to get in most hostels), extremely nice staff & prompt to fix anything. Definitely would recommend this place to a friend and go back myself in the future.

• 1st May 2015

A huge rambling hostel in a former orphanage. It was being used as a film set when we arrived. The staff are very obliging but the old building presents a lot of challenges. Our main beef was a poorly supervised kitchen which did not open till 8.30 or 9.00 am depending on the whim of the staff. However it did have a couple of big fridges, stove, toaster-and washing up facilities. Our double room had a clean sheets and an old mattress .We enjoyed the courtyard, relaxed feel and closeness to town.

The room was quiet and clean, (we had a room with its own bathroom) and everything including the air conditioner worked fine. Furniture and fixtures were old and dated, but it's an old building and that was expected. Other residents were nice, The staff was very friendly and offered suggestions and we were happy that we could park there and take public transportation to where we needed to go. It was a positive experience and I would probably stay there again, since it was so economical.

• 27th Apr 2015

We can't believe the value for money here. The guesthouse is a beautiful old building on a great street and we liked that the hostel had a guard at night to welcome us at the door and check who were guests. The car park is in the building too which was very handy. The staff were really friendly and helpful and the room was basic but very clean. We were very happy to stay there!

I absolutely loved staying here. The building is gorgeous and located on Magazine Street, which is a really nice area. When I arrived, the staff was friendly and helpful, they even offered me a room upgrade for free because there were a couple complications. My room was great. The next morning I was desperately trying to find a cab to the airport but did not succeed. The hostel owner actually gave me a ride just out of the kindness of her heart. I was pleasantly surprised by this lovely hostel.

• 26th Apr 2015

We are two girls in our twenties and stayed in a private room here over Jazz fest. Given the rest of New Orleans seemed booked up and expensive, we got a fantastic deal at St Vincents. The rooms are basic but fine - you get what you pay for - the ensuite bathroom was perfectly fine and it was relatively clean. It was extremely good value and everyone was very friendly and directed us to great restaurants and places. The staff were fantastic - I would definitely stay here again

• 24th Apr 2015

Dirty room and bathroom. Very old building. Nice and friendly people.

• 24th Apr 2015

It's a bit far out. But good atmosphere and the staff were lovely.

There's little to no insulation so all sound from the common areas traveled directly into the sleeping room. We could follow every word of conversations going on in the hall. There is no silence policy so sleeping was hard two nights in a row.

• 11th Apr 2015