St. Vincent's Guesthouse Reviews

1507 Magazine St, New Orleans, USA

The ceiling in our bathroom housed a pigeon but the hostel itself was very fun and interesting to stay in.

• 21st Mar 2015

Supernatural spirits, fantastic view of skyline, dome, and bridge from courtyard, AND a coffee shop across da street (MOJOS=A ) will stay here again. A-

• 20th Mar 2015
  • Mixed Group, 41+

They take money from your account for the first night even if you don't sign/consent to it.

I booked this room for a touring band. All members enjoyed their stay. The old building is full of history and character. The staff were great! Each room was clean. Best bang for your buck in New Orleans

I stayed 1 night and having read previous reviews my expectations were very low. Surprisingly, for a hostel it's great value for money! Location is midtown and within walking/bus ride distance. The staff were fab, friendly and helpful especially Shaun who got me fresh linen and a towel. I shared in a 6 bed female dorm who were all quiet and mindful. Best of all, huge ensuite bathroom that was clean and hot running water!! Bunks creak but ear plugs resolved that! :-) I would def stay again!

• 11th Mar 2015

Nothing stellar, but it's not a bad deal for a place to sleep in New Orleans! About a 20-30 minute walk to the French Quarter.

The staff was very kind and helpful when I had questions about the area and checked me in and out without any issue. The room I rented was a double/private and while not the most inviting to look at, was suitable to sleep in with my boyfriend after a day of gallivanting around town. The location is fantastic, but don't expect the Holiday Inn and take showers at night if you would like hot water. My boyfriend and I both agree we would stay there again since it's affordable and near the 1/4.

• 7th Mar 2015

I just think they should have heating even they don't have a lot of cold days. I booked a room with tv but it did not work at all.

• 19th Feb 2015

The staff were very friendly. I was in the large dorm, the heating wasn't working so it was pretty cold, I was able to get a second blanket though. You'd have to get in early for the shower, hot water doesn't seem to last that long. Very cheap, you get what you pay for.

• 19th Feb 2015

I was there at a time when it was particularly cold (almost freezing). There was no heating at all, and windows were very drafty - it was very cold in the room. When it warmed up, the place was excellent. Simon.

• 17th Feb 2015

This is a hostel with a personality. A restored Victorian mansion built in the 1860s as an orphanage for the children whose parents died of the then yellow fever pandemic. The premise has its ownership changed hands several times, serving multiple functions. The hostel as it is today preserves pretty much the original elegant architecture, with the NOLA-typical elaborate ironwork at the facade and interior decorations. I enjoyed very much my time staying here. The staff were very nice & helpful.

Stayed during Mardi Gras, so expected inflated prices, but was very disappointed with the facility. No electricity in our room for the first 2 hours we were there because nobody knew where the breaker box was. No hot water in our bathroom, and no heat source in our room until a space heater was requested. We had a note on the back of our door requesting tips for housekeeping , but no service was rendered. When our concerns were presented to the staff, the general answer was, "we are low budget"

No heating, no blankets and the worst part was that staff did not seem to care about them when it was freezing cold for free days on Mardi Gras. Had to move to another hostel, sick. The dirtiest hostel I have seen so far, too

• 16th Feb 2015
  • Antigua And Barbuda

Staff was very friendly and helpful. It was very cold at night though and no heater in the room I was in.

Worst experience in a hostel ever! Don't go there. We stayed in a private room w/ bathroom. There was no heat and it was very humid because of poor insulation, room temp at night was 50°F (10°C) so sleeping was bad. We asked for a heater, we got a small and "100-years old" heater that was not working at all. Linen were disgusting and no housekeeping in 4 nights!! Vent not working in bathroom, water goes everywhere when taking a shower. Staff is inefficient (except 1 or 2 people).

• 15th Feb 2015

The only good thing I can say about this place is the location. The beds are dirty, the bed sheets and bath towels they provide you are stained, pillows and pillow cases stained. Rooms have no heat so we froze at night and had no hot water for 4 days. Ended up staying there for a week. There are much better hostels in New Orleans. Spend the extra few bucks and save yourself the troubles.

• 12th Feb 2015

Furniture old and in a very bad maintenance Cleaning do NOT exist. Only the bed was cleaned nothing else. Light very bad and missing. Very cold and no heating. About 40 degres F. Towels vet and only changed 1 time in a hold week. Vet weil very cold. Outdoors every thing was broken.

• 7th Feb 2015
  • Denmark
  • Couple, 41+

Good area, close to the french quarter and downtown, good welcome but the room are really disapointing : no heat, no blanket, not clean... Even if they try to make our stay better and help us, our stay was still not so good...

The location was great and the staff was friendly and helpful. The only problem we encountered was the heat. We arrived on a very cold weekend, and the room was not heated. We were given extra blankets the second night which helped a lot.

bed bugs, smelly, third world

• 7th Jan 2015