St. Vincent's Guesthouse Reviews

1507 Magazine St, New Orleans, USA

They have a great location, but the building and rooms need lots of maintenance. They close the front desk at 12:00, so it is not convenient if you cannot make it on time. I have to pay extra for that. Staff and people are very friendly, but the lack of maintenance is overwhelming.

• 8th Apr 2014
  • Venezuela

Stayed at St Vincents for 3 nights over the Wrestlemania weekend. The Guesthouse is located in a nice neighbourhood and easy to get to from the bus/train station. Lots of bars and restaurants on Magazine St to keep you occupied and a 20min trolley or bus ride into the French Quarter. The Guesthouse is a lovely building and staff were helpful and welcoming. Only downside was the cleanliness in the bedrooms. Of note the bedroom sheets/covers were stained and hard to look past! New linen is needed!

We were extremely pleased with the St Vincent. The staff there were friendly and extremely helpful, and the facilities were well-maintained. The building itself was a little old and shabby, but extremely cool. On the whole, I am very pleased with the experience.

• 4th Apr 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

The pizza place at the hostel is amazing! The food we had there was delicious :)

• 4th Apr 2014
  • New Zealand

lovely quaint hostel with alot of history. very close to everything, sightseeing tours bustop is a block away and main CBD of NOLA is about a 15-20min walk so very close. neighbourhood is safe, we cam back blocked a few nights and had no trouble. never used the pool as it didnt look the best but apart from that St.Vincents is a great place to stay

• 1st Apr 2014

Staff was great and it's an awesome building with lots of character. The facilities were in need of cleaning however and the water was only lukewarm.

• 24th Mar 2014

The staff were nice and helpful, the building is cool and the location is good.. But it doesn't change the fact that it's essentially a halfway house for homeless. Some of them work there to pay for their stay, but many of them are horrible old men with criminal convictions and drug problems. These people deserve somewhere to sleep, yes - but young people staying here need to know what they are getting into. One of the upstairs rooms was dealing in crack and favours. Also no hot showers!

Worst hygiene ever. Sticky door handles. Dirty mirrors in the bathroom. Sticky bathroom floor and excessively dirty shower and curtian. The carpet has never been shampoed. You can see mould on all the mattresses! Bed frames are home made and falling to pieces such that no mattresses are sitting evenly. The pillows provided are yellow and full of stains and stench. The linnen provided is old torn and worn. The only difference between this place and living with a bum on the street is it has a roof

• 22nd Mar 2014

SUCH A GREAT EXPERIENCE!!! Our flight was delayed so we called ahead and the woman working gave us her personal cell phone number. She came back at 1:30 A.M to let us on the grounds and give us our room key. The room was clean and after you let the shower run for a bit it got nice and hot! It is an old building, definitely not the Sheraton, but hey, for the price you cannot beat the St. Vincent's Guesthouse. I highly recommend staying here. 15 minute walk and you're in the heart of N.O

• 20th Mar 2014

When we pulled up we were excited to stay at first sight. Then we got to our room and knew it was love. It was so comfortable and welcoming. Plus the spot was great. TThere was a great cafe across the street. What we couldn't walk to we could take the trolley to. Would greatly recommend. ~c

• 11th Mar 2014

5 came. staffs are friendly. The place looks nice from the outside but the condition inside is rated 1 out of 5 stars. The hallway is dark and many light bulbs in the room are either broken or non-existent. Hallway smelled like vomit and the smell permeated into our rooms. Beds were covered in plastic sheets and the windows do not open. There are also many insects like daddy long-leg and cockroaches (friend found one on the pillow and he has to flick it off). many potential, need a lot of work.

the rooms were discussing, we slept in our cloths . Floors were dirty, bathrooms were discussting and room was cold. overpriced for the value.

Very kind staff, though our reservations through Hostlelworld didn't actually align with what the hostel had available.

• 6th Mar 2014

I'm very happy I didn't take the bad reviews of STV too seriously as I had an awesome stay here. Id been on the bus a day+ and was greeted with a "Welcome, gorgeous," which was very nice to hear! To keep this semishort and sweet, PROS: awesome staff, cool vibe, my dorm/washroom was kept very clean, I felt secure and safe. CONS: Made to wait a couple hours to check in, old building=electricity isn't the best. That's it. Don't come here looking for grandeur, 'cause you won't get it. It is what it!

• 6th Mar 2014

I booked a private room more than two months ahead for Mardi Gras, when I arrived the room was not available. I had to sleep in a dorm with 16 people. The excuse was that my credit card didn't work, but I had already paid 10% to secure my booking as agreed on the Hostelworld website, I din't recevived any feedback about this problem. The dorm has no conditions for so many people (16 in each room sharing the same bathroom, it was difficult to take a simple shower)

We booked a private room but upon arriving learned our room wasn't avail due to pipes braking months prior. I did not receive any notification of this. Their solution was to put me in a mixed dorm on a top bunk. I am elderly. There was no wifi, heat, or hot water. Temps dropped into the low 30s F. No additional blankets were avail. Some staff were quite pleasant however the manager of the facility was extremely rude and condenscending. The building itself is rich in history and architecture.

• 1st Mar 2014

Very friendly staff! Great atmosphere in a rustic kind of way. I enjoyed myself alot! Only slight negative is, lockers would be nice (I brought my padlock for nothing). Was given a key to the 12 bed dorm room, so that was mostly secure. Shower was nice and hot. Great overall!

If you're looking for 4 or 5 star hotel this place is not for you, BUT if you're looking for just a place to sleep on a budget during your vacation DEFINITELY stay here. You should rent a bike ( it's impossible to drive during mardi gras) to get to the French quarter.

• 28th Feb 2014

Visited during Mardi Gras, so may be diff than other times. Reservations were easy to make, there was someone at the desk taking check-in's until 2 a.m. Found parking on the road easily, but if we hadn't, they had parking available. Easy check-in, nice staff, room wasn't great but it was about what I expected. Old but usable. Working electricity, clean linens, shower wasn't exactly hot, but it was what I expected for the price. About a 1.5-2 mile walk to the french quarter. No problems.

• 28th Feb 2014

St. Vincent's guest house is the best decision you will ever make when it comes to booking a place for Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Awesome historic building just 10 min walk to St. Charles Ave (main parade route). Desk personnel are very cool and laid back and willing to help you with anything. The rooms were clean, cool coffee shop across the street for morning pick up, and the bathroom were clean with showers. Definitely recommend to anyone.

• 26th Feb 2014