St. Vincent's Guesthouse Reviews

1507 Magazine St, New Orleans, USA

Definitely had some run ins with sketchy people but that's okay. Ghosts were very present too, which intrigues me.

• 17th Oct 2014

This place is the bomb. Love it and would gladly stay here again.

• 16th Oct 2014

WARNING: This is not a hostel. This place MUST be removed from Hostelworld!! I implore everyone reading this to please, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE, anywhere else. This is a Halfway House for recovering drug addicts and other scourge of society. We were met with DISGUST. The entire place is covered in filth and grime, the bathrooms are more like outhouses and windows only serve Peeping Toms. It took about three minutes to realise we had made a DIRE mistake. We ESCAPED, DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

For the very low price, it's decent. Still, we found cockroaches in our room during our stay, and the person who booked our room booked it wrong so instead of getting 2 beds per room we only got 1 bed per room. If you're looking for a cheap place to stay in New Orleans, though, it's a good deal.

• 10th Oct 2014

I was only there for 1 night. The staff was very friendly and helped me with getting to the French Quarter The room was nothing fancy, but clean. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel, go elsewhere and spend $250.00 a night. I enjoyed my stay and liked all of the history that went with St. Vincent guesthouse.

• 4th Oct 2014

I am usually a generous reviewer, but this place was ridiculous. i have never picked up my stuff in the middle of the night and taken off. Full of shady characters reside here. As soon as i check in i notice how dark and dingy the place is. I take the stair case up to my room and a stench just punches me in the nose as i walk in. i was woken by a cockroach crawling on my chest. i start to look around and the floor was covered by small little roaches. This place is awful. don't stay here!!

I have mixed feelings about our stay - the staff were great to us, very helpful and very friendly. It's really good value for money and is nothing fancy, but we didn't need that. We did have problems with bugs in our bathrooms, but when raised with the staff it was dealt with promptly and was no longer an issue over the coming days. Our door handle was quite loose and i did worry about the security, but it turned out not to be a problem. If you're ok with nothing fancy, it is pretty good value.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will be staying there again soon. I am in town often on business and plan to make this my first choice for lodging in the future. The staff were very helpful and friendly. There is such character in the building as well as the staff and the guests. It isn't the Doubletree or Hilton; but it embodies the spirit of New Orleans like no other place I've stayed. If you are looking for the real heart of New Orleans and you are looking for a value, this is it.

• 8th Sep 2014

was a short but pleasant stay. the staff was flexible about my personal wishes. I really appreciated that.

I booked using hostel world app. I used a credit card with very little money in case of fraud. My confirmed reservation was paid, it said I could pay balance on arrival. When I arrive they refuse me. The lady said that they had run my card 2 days before for full amount and it was declined so they had canceled my reservation. I protested, I said no one emailed or called me. I showed her my payed conformation. It says on the bottom, PAYMENT DUE ON ARRIVAL. I stayed another place.

• 30th Aug 2014

My friend and I had the best time in New Orleans, and St Vincent's was the best place we could have stayed. About a 20 minute walk from the French Quarter, we could do the tourist thing but then explore the much more vibrant and exciting magazine street and Garden District. We felt very safe, we had a huge bed each as well as air con, TV and free wifi that worked most of the time. We loved our stay!

• 29th Aug 2014

Beautiful building, great location, and generally helpful and courteous staff. Some of the extended-stay residents are a little rude or off-putting to hostel/hotel guests, and we also saw a huge cockroach in our room one night and had to kill it ourselves, but otherwise it was a great stay!

• 28th Aug 2014

Awesome place! I met very interesting people. Not very clean though. We complained several times and finally they gave us a better room. Overall, very interesting!!

Rooms have their own tv, microwave, refrigerator, air condition+fan. Old staff but works fine. Very beautiful garden, saloon and large balcony. Very excelent statues in corridor made by an artist, lives in there. Not a hostel, a hotel!

• 19th Jul 2014
  • Turkey

The place was untidy and to some extent inhabitable. The staff was not cooperative. I would not recommend anyone to choose this place for their stay.

• 4th Jul 2014
  • India

This place is awesome. It's also really close to everything.

• 4th Jul 2014

Lots of trash under beds. Really in need of repairs. Pool was green with slime. People were friendly. Will never stay there again. I didn't feel safe at all.

• 28th Jun 2014

this review applies to men's dorm 6 cots 1 bathroom. i spent 3 nights in this dark place. results, 9 bed bug bites, saw about a dozen cockroaches (killed two but started late). several cots used for on site workers, dual diagnosis alcoholics/god knows what other mental problems. a nightmare for $25 per night.

• 27th Jun 2014

Everything was excellent. The receptionists were very nice. The room was comfortable

The building was under construction when I was there and, thus, had limited space available. This hostel was my first hostel experience; but, from what I've heard and other hostels I visited in the area, this one is very different from the norm. It was definitely worth the value, no doubt. It was very budget friendly. It was also very quiet when I was there, as it wasn't a peak time for tourism, but the residents and staff there were friendly toward me.

• 30th May 2014