St. Vincent's Guesthouse Reviews

1507 Magazine St, New Orleans, USA

Staff was very friendly and helpful. It was very cold at night though and no heater in the room I was in.

Worst experience in a hostel ever! Don't go there. We stayed in a private room w/ bathroom. There was no heat and it was very humid because of poor insulation, room temp at night was 50°F (10°C) so sleeping was bad. We asked for a heater, we got a small and "100-years old" heater that was not working at all. Linen were disgusting and no housekeeping in 4 nights!! Vent not working in bathroom, water goes everywhere when taking a shower. Staff is inefficient (except 1 or 2 people).

• 15th Feb 2015

The only good thing I can say about this place is the location. The beds are dirty, the bed sheets and bath towels they provide you are stained, pillows and pillow cases stained. Rooms have no heat so we froze at night and had no hot water for 4 days. Ended up staying there for a week. There are much better hostels in New Orleans. Spend the extra few bucks and save yourself the troubles.

• 12th Feb 2015

Furniture old and in a very bad maintenance Cleaning do NOT exist. Only the bed was cleaned nothing else. Light very bad and missing. Very cold and no heating. About 40 degres F. Towels vet and only changed 1 time in a hold week. Vet weil very cold. Outdoors every thing was broken.

• 7th Feb 2015
  • Denmark
  • Couple, 41+

Good area, close to the french quarter and downtown, good welcome but the room are really disapointing : no heat, no blanket, not clean... Even if they try to make our stay better and help us, our stay was still not so good...

The location was great and the staff was friendly and helpful. The only problem we encountered was the heat. We arrived on a very cold weekend, and the room was not heated. We were given extra blankets the second night which helped a lot.

bed bugs, smelly, third world

• 7th Jan 2015

Magazine street is very nice. On the other side of the street is one of the best cafés in New Orleans. Near the hostel there are plenty of good breakfast and lunch places that are more affordable then in the French Quarter. At a first glance, the hostel looked very nice, but it is very old. The dorms (6 person dorm) was okay, but not very comfortable and there are definitely some roaches around. Nevertheless, for 2 nights it was okay and we were lucky to share the room with 4 other guys.

Looks like hold by drug ppl. They said they did not have our booking reservation. We had to pay more gor staying in a cold room. Two ppl had to sleep on a air matress bed they put in the room.

• 31st Dec 2014

At 80 something dollars a night for a private room it just isn't worth it. There's NO HEAT you may or may not get a space heater. Also we got a room with 2 beds and one of them was literally an air mattress on the floor. You will wake up in the middle of the night on the floor after your air mattress deflates, freezing and wishing you stayed at a chain hotel on the outskirts of town. When you factor in uber promo codes there's really no need to stay at this location. Even the city jail has heat.

• 31st Dec 2014

Booked a room weeks in advance and upon checkin was told that I might not have a room. We had to sleep 4 people to a room with one bed because of lack of rooms. After first night, we were able to move into bigger rooms.

• 31st Dec 2014

My stay at St. Vincent Guest House was very unpleseant. On 12/09/2014, I made a reservation for the stay on 12/31/2014. The Hostel World charged me $14 for the deposit to reserve the Private Ensuite Room with two beds. However,St. Vincent Guest House charged my credit card for $82.20 which is 100% payment for the room. When I showed up at 8:30pm after dinner due to my travel schedule on 12/31/2014, they told me that my room is no longer availabe because it is a first come first serve system.

• 31st Dec 2014

We had several things stolen out of our bolted room, including a credit card and jewelry. When the office was asked, they knew nothing and did not investigate. Security in general was very poor. Do not leave anything of value in room, even if you dead bolt it. Do not stay here in the winter, we could feel ac old breeze come in through the widows and it was too cold to sleep comfortably - much less shower or change clothing. On the plus side, our room was fairly clean and there were no bugs.

• 29th Dec 2014

Great staff. They were very friendly and helpful. I enjoyed staying there.

• 20th Dec 2014

There was no heat and the weather was very cold.

We dont recommend that place. Very bad value for money. Even though the staff is ok, our room was very basic, noisy, bathroom very old and no wifi. Very far from the center.

The worst experience I ever had!!!!! The room was really dirty: cockroach and insects everywhere! I fall sick after my stay at St Vincent Guest House! Furthermore, the lights didn't work! That's disgraceful! How can you seriously suggest people to stay in a place like that?

• 18th Nov 2014

Bed bugs!! I got biten really bad by bed bugs and regretfully took some back home. Regretfully bed bugs can transmit Chagas disease, that is a chronic condition, so because I stayed in this place now I have to go to the doctor and get tested to know if I was infected. This place should be close, the lack of cleaning and abundance of vectors makes this a public health issue.

• 15th Nov 2014
  • Chile

Generally I know what I'm getting into by staying in hostels instead of hotels, but bed bugs are not a part of that equation. I brought it to their attention without making a scene and chose to just share a bed with a friend in another room we'd booked. Later when we decided to ask if we could be refunded for the bed bug infested room we didn't use, they tried to convince me that New Orleans was full of them and that I hadn't overreacted enough for them to fix it. In all I am highly disappointed

• 31st Oct 2014

very bohemian atmosphere......safe neighborhood......good place to stay for price....don't expect more....and it is clean.

• 30th Oct 2014