St. Vincent's Guesthouse Reviews

1507 Magazine St, New Orleans, USA

After reading all the reviews online I was bracing myself for an uninhabitable room. I was so wrong with my expectations. I checked into a huge room that was well furnished and a spotless bathroom. Everyone was really friendly and I felt very safe my entire stay. My friend and I have talked about staying here again.

• 1st May 2014

I booked for a 8-bed female bed dorm but it turns out to be a 20 or 30-bed dorm. They did not assign room to you so you just grab the bed which doesn't have stuff on it.cThere are some permanent residents there who look weird to me. Like other reviews said, cleanliness is a big problem. While I was trying to find an empty bed, I saw a dead cockroach in the corner of the room, and I wonder if anyone is going to clean up the room.

The staff was very nice and caring about what we needed, and the hostel looks beautiful. There is a swimming pool, which was very welcome by the end of the day. The people living there were very sociable for most of them, and funny too. The only thing is that the sleep wasn't very good, some people were drunk and having weird behaviours in the room. They were striving to make us feel comfortable but some had problems with alcohol and other stuff. It was fun but we were happy to leave too.

• 29th Apr 2014

A pleasant place to stay, I had a private room & bath, didn't check out the doom area. I would stay there again.

• 29th Apr 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Prime location. Good price. Available parking. We'll be back. Any first time guest needs to realize it that St. Vincent's is a guest house/hostel. Not a high-priced hotel in the French Quarter. If they haven't previously had that experience, they need to keep an open mind. A more functional kitchen would be nice. Ongoing kitchen renovation could improve that situation.

• 28th Apr 2014
  • Couple, 41+

bring your plate and cutlery, there is absolutely nothing in this kitchen

Better be informed in advance that the price displayed is quite far from the the one paid.

• 26th Apr 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at St. Vincent's. Staff were friendly and responded positively to any requests. Location was excellent, with good access to buses and I didn't pay more than $15 for taxis when needed. Thank you! Jeremy

• 25th Apr 2014

It was the worst place I have ever stayed in. Showers didn't work, very far away from French quarter, very old rooms, and furniture, full of creepy people around.

• 25th Apr 2014
  • Argentina

St Vincents probably isn't for everybody, but I love it. I've been going there for years during the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. It's in a great location. I like the funkiness of the building and general friendliness of the people and staff there. Love Mojo coffee shop right across the street. It's not particularly fancy, but I just need a place to stay with a decent bed, AC and functional shower. It saves me $ that I can spend elsewhere on my trip and I meet good people.

Overall I was satisfied with my stay. Our 1st rm was quite noisy but the accommodating staff moved us to a much larger 2 bdrm ste on the opposite end of the hotel for the same price. The room turned out to be much quieter and more peaceful which was great! The only downside was that this room had a few roaches (yuck). There was no elevator on our side of the building which made carrying our luggage a pain. The building has an interesting history and makes for a great story. Ask the staff!!

• 21st Apr 2014

Booked a 6 Bed Female Dorm, got a 8 Bed Mixed Dorm. The carpet was disgusting with stains all over. The bathroom was very dirty and there was no warm water. Many of the people staying there are long-term guests, some of them working there to pay for the stay. If you have a choice, don't go there!

We stayed in a private room, which was very comfortable. There's lots of space to relax. Liked the courtyard. Staff was also very helpful. It's not terribly far from anything. Garden District is cool itself. Thank you!

It's a typical nice place. Quiet and friendly. Sure, it's not the Marriott but it is cheaper... But, the door lock at our room don't look very safe... Au revoir

They have a great location, but the building and rooms need lots of maintenance. They close the front desk at 12:00, so it is not convenient if you cannot make it on time. I have to pay extra for that. Staff and people are very friendly, but the lack of maintenance is overwhelming.

• 8th Apr 2014
  • Venezuela

Stayed at St Vincents for 3 nights over the Wrestlemania weekend. The Guesthouse is located in a nice neighbourhood and easy to get to from the bus/train station. Lots of bars and restaurants on Magazine St to keep you occupied and a 20min trolley or bus ride into the French Quarter. The Guesthouse is a lovely building and staff were helpful and welcoming. Only downside was the cleanliness in the bedrooms. Of note the bedroom sheets/covers were stained and hard to look past! New linen is needed!

We were extremely pleased with the St Vincent. The staff there were friendly and extremely helpful, and the facilities were well-maintained. The building itself was a little old and shabby, but extremely cool. On the whole, I am very pleased with the experience.

• 4th Apr 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

The pizza place at the hostel is amazing! The food we had there was delicious :)

lovely quaint hostel with alot of history. very close to everything, sightseeing tours bustop is a block away and main CBD of NOLA is about a 15-20min walk so very close. neighbourhood is safe, we cam back blocked a few nights and had no trouble. never used the pool as it didnt look the best but apart from that St.Vincents is a great place to stay

• 1st Apr 2014

Staff was great and it's an awesome building with lots of character. The facilities were in need of cleaning however and the water was only lukewarm.

• 24th Mar 2014