St. Vincent's Guesthouse Reviews

1507 Magazine St, New Orleans, USA

Very kind staff, though our reservations through Hostlelworld didn't actually align with what the hostel had available.

• 6th Mar 2014

I'm very happy I didn't take the bad reviews of STV too seriously as I had an awesome stay here. Id been on the bus a day+ and was greeted with a "Welcome, gorgeous," which was very nice to hear! To keep this semishort and sweet, PROS: awesome staff, cool vibe, my dorm/washroom was kept very clean, I felt secure and safe. CONS: Made to wait a couple hours to check in, old building=electricity isn't the best. That's it. Don't come here looking for grandeur, 'cause you won't get it. It is what it!

• 6th Mar 2014

I booked a private room more than two months ahead for Mardi Gras, when I arrived the room was not available. I had to sleep in a dorm with 16 people. The excuse was that my credit card didn't work, but I had already paid 10% to secure my booking as agreed on the Hostelworld website, I din't recevived any feedback about this problem. The dorm has no conditions for so many people (16 in each room sharing the same bathroom, it was difficult to take a simple shower)

We booked a private room but upon arriving learned our room wasn't avail due to pipes braking months prior. I did not receive any notification of this. Their solution was to put me in a mixed dorm on a top bunk. I am elderly. There was no wifi, heat, or hot water. Temps dropped into the low 30s F. No additional blankets were avail. Some staff were quite pleasant however the manager of the facility was extremely rude and condenscending. The building itself is rich in history and architecture.

• 1st Mar 2014

Very friendly staff! Great atmosphere in a rustic kind of way. I enjoyed myself alot! Only slight negative is, lockers would be nice (I brought my padlock for nothing). Was given a key to the 12 bed dorm room, so that was mostly secure. Shower was nice and hot. Great overall!

If you're looking for 4 or 5 star hotel this place is not for you, BUT if you're looking for just a place to sleep on a budget during your vacation DEFINITELY stay here. You should rent a bike ( it's impossible to drive during mardi gras) to get to the French quarter.

• 28th Feb 2014

Visited during Mardi Gras, so may be diff than other times. Reservations were easy to make, there was someone at the desk taking check-in's until 2 a.m. Found parking on the road easily, but if we hadn't, they had parking available. Easy check-in, nice staff, room wasn't great but it was about what I expected. Old but usable. Working electricity, clean linens, shower wasn't exactly hot, but it was what I expected for the price. About a 1.5-2 mile walk to the french quarter. No problems.

• 28th Feb 2014

St. Vincent's guest house is the best decision you will ever make when it comes to booking a place for Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Awesome historic building just 10 min walk to St. Charles Ave (main parade route). Desk personnel are very cool and laid back and willing to help you with anything. The rooms were clean, cool coffee shop across the street for morning pick up, and the bathroom were clean with showers. Definitely recommend to anyone.

• 26th Feb 2014

It is a good place to stay.

I had no room and I had to pay for it! 😳????

• 15th Feb 2014
  • Spain

dirty, they havent respected the original reservation condition.

• 15th Feb 2014
  • Mexico

Horrible place, dirty, humid and cold inside, despite the good weather. Service was extremely bad and people at the front office very rude. They made me wait for more than a hour to find the keys of the room where I locked my bag at 3 am... When I entered my room, I found two guys sleeping in the female dorm where I was staying -- someone left the door open. I strongly do not recommend it!

Pros: -25 min walk to French Quarter -Affordable for dorm but not for private room -Cheap parking Cons: -No hot water -Put in a 30+ person co-ed dorm when we booked a 6 and 8 male female separate dorms -No pillows -Clearly unpleasant staff--helpful but arguing with one another and lack of management -Given the wrong keys to a private room where someones stuff still was -"Guest" knocked at private room at 7am asking (me, female) if my husband/boyfriend was in the room with me.

Everything was quite good, but water in the shower was cold in the morning.

• 14th Feb 2014
  • Spain

no hot water in the dorm's shower s during our stay

• 14th Feb 2014