St. Vincent's Guesthouse Reviews

1507 Magazine St, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Don't stay in the hostel.

• 16th Nov 2013
  • New Zealand

We slept in a twin bed privat room with our own bath and loved it! The house is beautiful and the staff was very friendly.

Terrible experience! No wonder they have a "no refunds policy" stamped above the front desk! Keep in mind that I'm not picky! I've already stayed in bad hostels, but nome of them with stained sheets, carpet, floors and cigarette burns on the TV!!!! If you are looking for a horror tour... This is the place! Fear for your life and sanity!

Disregard those negative reviews! I really liked St.Vincents.It is old-originally an orphanage with wall-photos to prove it !Plenty of atmosphere-you could imagine voodoo parties here! But pleasant staff,especially Annie,close to St.Charles St.Streetcar and city centre. Lovely coffeee shop across the road-Mojo's ,I think. While rooms are dated,they are clean and adequate.If you want clinical pristine,try the Sheraton-$300 a night,not $50 .

Does this pass for a good enough place? Yes. Would I stay again? Likely not. The tax and occupancy fees that you must pay above and beyond Hostelworld fees are a sham. No other place I stayed had these extra fees. Despite booking 10 days earlier, they still managed to "not have" my booking and required I fill out new paperwork. During a busy week like Jazz Fest where occupancy is limited, this could be a major issue. I witnessed 2 other guests share this problem. I say: book direct or avoid.

Staff are excellent kind and helpful. Nice area full of great coffee shops. Bit of a walk to French Quarter but public transport is great.

Fair priced room included linens, towel, & washcloth. Free wireless internet. The bunk bed mattress was comfortable enough. The swimming pool looked inviting in a gorgeous courtyard surrounded by tropical foliage. Banana trees on the property. Beautiful artwork throughout the building, including many awesome bronze statues cast by a permanent resident of the guesthouse. You can walk to the French Quarter (a bit of a hike), but must have exact change to ride the bus or St. Charles streetcar.

• 2nd Nov 2013

The beds in the dorm where no properly marked, and it was hard to tell if they were taken or not. The confirmation email I recieved from Hostelworld.com stated that only the 10% deposit would be charged to my card but St. Vincent's Guesthouse charge the full length of my stay which ruin budget. Also, the web page said that parking was sopposed to be free, but they tried charging an overnight fee. Which was pure nonsence because there was no security and the gates to the parkinglot stayed open

DO NOT STAY HERE!!! There's a much better hostel around the corner called st charles guesthouse. ST V's are Absolutely pathetic! Showed up at 8pm on halloween only to be told they had overbooked and we didnt have a room. We then had to find other accommodation and when i requested a refund for the charges on my credit card they refused and are now trying to argue that i only cancelled 1 night of my booking and not the entire booking. Seriously WTF!!!

• 31st Oct 2013

The Staff was lovely, and always helpful

• 31st Oct 2013

The towels and sheets had stains. The worst thing is that had cockroaches, asked for a room change, but I got a spray to kill cockroaches, but they were too.

St. Vincent's has a serious bed bug infestation. I stayed there one night and unfortunately, sustained hundreds of bites, as well as, unwittingly, transported bed bugs into my home. Dealing with bed bugs is not worth one night's cheap accommodation. Reactions to bites can be delayed, so you may not realize until too late. Effective treatment can cost thousands. I would not recommend staying this hostel.

Great location, love the building, pretty comfortable bed. Bathroom could have been cleaner.

1 2 3 Next » last »